Lost Island......Really bothering me.

If you start taking a lot of damage from this boss, move. Pretend there is an invisible AoE damage circle under your feet, because I'm pretty sure that is what is happening.

I've healed this FP a lot, and tanks that stand still are usually dead at the end of the fight. Tanks that move in a circle around the boss when they start taking significant damage stay at 90% or better health.

^ ^ ^

This.

As a tank and a healer I agree 100%. When tanking I usually side step in a continuous circle around the boss making loops around him and poping cool downs as I go. I once had some DPS give me a hard time about it because it looked silly and they though I didn't know what I was doing. I asked the healer in chat how much he had the heal me. He replied "barely at all". I had no problems the rest of the FP as we went on to 1 shot everything.

As for melee dps, they have 2-3 seconds they can use to run away, place the bubble somewhere to the side and jump back into the fray.

That's just not darn possible. I read guides, watched videos, I prepared myself as best as possible before I went to do LI HM and it's just absolutely IMPOSSIBLE as a melee dps without force speed to put the lightning bubble farther away than one step next to the tank. Really. I run as soon as I see the white circle beneath me and yes, I do reach the wall when standing in the middle previously, but the bubble does not appear at the wall but much more in the middle. It's totally irritating and I feel bald and like it's my fault and the tanks never really bother to move the droid somewhere else, ugh. I just cannot do anything about that!

Had a horrible run last week. _3_ juggs and the heal. We did our best to run and put the bubble away, but no chance. Then the heal got extremely pissed because we walked into the fire (well, should we have walked into the lightning instead, genius!?) and quit the group because he didn't want to heal this rubbish. Mind you, he was only in Tionese, so, I don't know..

So, yeah, it's not possible to put the bubble away. The only "solution" I found was to charge to the adds as soon as they appear and a lot of times the white circles while appear beneath me while I'm next to the wall and fighting adds, so I guess DPS should take care of the adds?

But this boss really is crazy.. Everything is all over the place, there is fire and lightning and adds and ugh. I definitely don't like him.

Intercede the healer if you're a jugg. Make sure you're standing at max range. Don't finish casts or get your next hit off just run out.

If tanks get the droid to the edge, DPS can actually stand on the grates and move when fire comes up, and then move the boss to another corner if a boss is close to one corner.

Don't complain about problems. Think about solutions.

That's just not darn possible. I read guides, watched videos, I prepared myself as best as possible before I went to do LI HM and it's just absolutely IMPOSSIBLE as a melee dps without force speed to put the lightning bubble farther away than one step next to the tank. Really. I run as soon as I see the white circle beneath me and yes, I do reach the wall when standing in the middle previously, but the bubble does not appear at the wall but much more in the middle. It's totally irritating and I feel bald and like it's my fault and the tanks never really bother to move the droid somewhere else, ugh. I just cannot do anything about that!

Had a horrible run last week. _3_ juggs and the heal. We did our best to run and put the bubble away, but no chance. Then the heal got extremely pissed because we walked into the fire (well, should we have walked into the lightning instead, genius!?) and quit the group because he didn't want to heal this rubbish. Mind you, he was only in Tionese, so, I don't know..

So, yeah, it's not possible to put the bubble away. The only "solution" I found was to charge to the adds as soon as they appear and a lot of times the white circles while appear beneath me while I'm next to the wall and fighting adds, so I guess DPS should take care of the adds?

But this boss really is crazy.. Everything is all over the place, there is fire and lightning and adds and ugh. I definitely don't like him.

It all really depends on your group build. I, as the healer, actually tell the dps to run their bubbles back into previous bubbles to avoid littering the battlefield with AoE. I will heal them. I also tell them to NOT dps adds unless I ask them to. I usually drag adds to tank and he/she just AoE taunts them off of me then, I have dps and myself aoe them while they are in boss. As many people have said before. LR-5 is more of a mechanics check than anything else. I personally hate the "kite" method, but just find the way that works for you as there are several ways to clear LR-5. And as everyone has said, interrupting incinerate, keeping aggro and bubble placement are the most important thing in this fight. The only time LR-5 gives me trouble is when the DPS has tunnel vision and doesn't move away bubble away from fight zone.

Intercede the healer if you're a jugg. Make sure you're standing at max range. Don't finish casts or get your next hit off just run out.

If tanks get the droid to the edge, DPS can actually stand on the grates and move when fire comes up, and then move the boss to another corner if a boss is close to one corner.

Don't complain about problems. Think about solutions.

Ohh, haven't thought about interceding. Thanks, that's a great tip!

As a tank I've become lazy when it comes to the droid-boss in LI.

I just stand in the middle and tell my guildies to carry those pesky bubbles away.

It works, if you're quick enough.

Most of the time they are and the boss is exactly where he started off.

So ive been playing my Jedi guardian toon with a tank spec for a while now and i have almost full black hole gear on....and ive really been trying to get good at tanking....But despite my best efforts i just cant freakig tank the second boss on lost island, that F'ing droid has given me more trouble than anything else... ive read some stuff about the fight and have tanked it a few times but he still almost always kicks my ***.....

anyone out there that can give me some tips/hints/help..... I want to master tanking this fight..... it really makes me feel like ive wasted allot of time when i cant do what i am spec'ed to do, and what my group needs me to do.

thanks

I Tank it and heal it , its all about how geared the group is how a ware they are of what's going on around them , most of the pugs I do are premade and in most cases we do it in `18 mins or less ..

I even did a 20 min kaon run today tanking ... So don't give up , just find the right players ..

Easyest way to do him is with two RPS , Healer . tank him in the middle let the ranged run along the out side unless

you lose agro or one on the range drops the bubble in middle you can just stand thu the whoe fight and tank him ..

main thing to remember is interrupt incinerate, that happens right on pull and then after every channel he does on a random group member . the rest is on the DPS ETC and how fast they can kill him . do they watch what they are doing .. when I heal it it's a blast I love it when the adds attack me makes healing it even more fun to see if can keep every one a live including me with 3 adds pounding me .. I have yet to ask anyone to kill them that how crazy I like it ;;;

Edited by moonshoter

I have a Guardian Tank also, perhaps I can be of some help as I have defeated the LR-5 droid on more than one occasion.

Okay.....first we need to have some idea how you are spec'd. I am going to assume that you are filling the Defense tree as that is the tree for the Tank spec. You should be putting 31 points into that tree and the remaining 10 into the Vigilance tree. I would suggest this arrangement to help you plan this out.

Now, on to dealing with the actual boss itself. You need to size up your group against the boss, specifically you need to measure your DPS in three ways.

1. Your DPS need to do a COMBINED MINIMUM of 2000 damage in order to defeat this boss prior to the enrage timer. Trust me when I say you don't want this boss to enrage.

2. Your DPS need to understand how to handle the Plasma Bubbles. I can't stress this enough as this is LR-5's most deadly attack outside of Incinerate. This is really important if they are Melee DPS as they have to be fast enough to move the bubble marker away from you so that you do not get caught in it. It damages you for 850 per tick and can kill you quickly.

3. Your DPS also need to be prepared to pick up the adds quickly as they appear because hindering either yourself or the healer can cause the whole team to wipe.

Other things to remember is the type of DPS being brought into the fight. Ranged DPS is more beneficial to you as a Melee Tank because with good RDPS you can basically "tank and spank" the boss in the center of the room while the dps and healer can stay out on the side of the room, taking the Plasma bubbles out of the equation and limiting the damage done to the team while maximizing dps on the boss.

NOTE: If you have Melee DPS, you will need to kite the boss around the room. If you are stuck kiting, I would suggest moving between the "pillars" that are around the room every time LR-5 drops a bubble on someone. This helps in two ways:

1. It allows the DPS to plant the bubbles away from the direction you are kiting, taking them completely out of the equation.

2. It sets up a timing situation with your team. If everyone is on vent or ts,etc., they can call out "bubble" so that the tank can move a little more further along.

Now on to you, the TANK.

Interrupt, Interrupt, Interrupt.....that Incinerate cast from the boss. This is the one single cast from LR-5 that causes so much trouble for the Tank. Don't rely on the DPS to do this for you. This should be totally on you because the DPS will have their hands full with the Plasma Bubbles, Adds and Lava. The good news for you is that this cast is completely predictable. When LR-5 starts arcing electricity between it's cannons, the Incinerate cast will follow almost immediately. Be prepared to Interrupt.

You need to hold Aggro the entire fight. Single cast Taunt only. Try to resist using your AOE taunt as you can pull the adds(if any)all over you forcing the DPS into the proximity of the boss. Add in the Plasma Bubbles and you have a serious problem.

The Healer serves to keep you healed mostly on this fight. The Healer should be focused on healing you more than the DPS. If the Healer is healing the DPS more than you, then your DPS are not handling the fight correctly and/or you are not holding aggro. If you hold aggro properly, the only thing that can seriously hurt the dps is the Plasma Bubbles, and they are easy to deal with.

The Healer also needs to know to use their cleanse ability on you if you get hit by Incinerate to lessen the damage.

Hope this helps.

Now this is a correct response.

A few others similar to this one is what the OP was asking for. Not, "I killed the boss easily." It's not about how easy he was to kill but how to go about it.

As a tank I've become lazy when it comes to the droid-boss in LI.

I just stand in the middle and tell my guildies to carry those pesky bubbles away.

It works, if you're quick enough.

Most of the time they are and the boss is exactly where he started off.

I think that I know what his mistake is - it's almost impossible to get the bubble away if you're backpedaling if you turn and run it's not even 10% as difficult to place the lightning bubble.

Edited by AshlaBoga

The group i ran this the other day with 2 sentinels would probably disagree with you seeing that I did not move from the middle of the room once. Just because you don't think it is possible does not mean that someone else can't do it better.

The group i ran this the other day with 2 sentinels would probably disagree with you seeing that I did not move from the middle of the room once. Just because you don't think it is possible does not mean that someone else can't do it better.

That's the problem with a lot players to them its just not possible and that there is only one way,. when in fact there may be five diff ways that work better then there's ...

guardians/jugs have it easy. just put the bupple on the healer. target healer fast and jump to healer. then jump back to boss.

Oh! I've never seen that one before! I may have to try suggesting it next time I'm with a marauder/sent that having trouble. Thanks for the tip!

I believe the bubble drops on the #2 person on the threat table. Put guard on your melee dps so it will always hit your ranged. Healer and melee should be using aggro drop abilities, but not the ranged dps. It's very useful to know who the bubble will hit.

Edit: A lot of people disagree with the above statement. It is probably wrong.

My tips for this fight:

1. Discuss a strategy before hand. Will you use the middle or kite? Which direction will you kite? Where will you start kiting from?

2. Stay calm, don't panic. Yes, that bubble is getting bigger, but you can wait a few more seconds for incinerate. Interrupt it, then kite the boss. Stand where your healer can see you (not tucked way back in the nook!). Position the boss so there is room for dps to stand behind him, and room for you to move him if a bubble drops back there.

This fight is very dependent on the tank. Besides the interrupt, it is your job to provide the dps a safe place to attack from, while not Line of Sighting your healer.

Edited by LarryRow

the main thing about tanking is the rotation of the bot. basically after the bot does experimental cannon you do not have time to kite him because he will do an incinerate right then, so just wait for the bot to cast incinerate and interupt it before you kite the boss (if you are kiting at all). people might complain that you are not moving the boss, but its better than not interupting incinerate and letting them all catch it because you decided to kite the incinerate to their faces.

I believe the bubble drops on the #2 person on the threat table. Put guard on your melee dps so it will always hit your ranged. Healer and melee should be using aggro drop abilities, but not the ranged dps. It's very useful to know who the bubble will hit.

Pretty sure this isn't true. I've gotten as a healer, and I can pretty much guarantee I am not second on the threat table.

My tips for this fight:

1. Discuss a strategy before hand. Will you use the middle or kite? Which direction will you kite? Where will you start kiting from?

2. Stay calm, don't panic. Yes, that bubble is getting bigger, but you can wait a few more seconds for incinerate. Interrupt it, then kite the boss. Stand where your healer can see you (not tucked way back in the nook!). Position the boss so there is room for dps to stand behind him, and room for you to move him if a bubble drops back there.

This fight is very dependent on the tank. Besides the interrupt, it is your job to provide the dps a safe place to attack from, while not Line of Sighting your healer.

Im not sure that I agree with your first sentence but it IS an interesting theory, I will have to test it.

I like the rest of your post. Some good tips there. I find that positioning the boss is very important as well when tanking. Using these tips can also help compensate for some of the inexperience with DPS in PUGs.

As a tank you actually have the ability to largely dictate where your DPS will be by your positioning of the boss... Provided the DPS know to stand at the back or sides of boss. I usually kite so that I'm in control of the fight and positioning. A good method for beginner teams with an experienced tank, is to use the kiting method and have the DPS stand behind the boss and tell them to run to the nearest wall if they get circles. They dont have to go far, just get to the wall. If it drops near us, NP cuz we are moving anyways. So I as tank know where and can essentially control where each bubble placement will be by my placement of the boss.

For experienced groups with inexperienced tank, center method might be the best.

For a group with Inexperienced tank and inexperienced group, you are screwed in HM... Go practice in SM.

Edited by ChicagoBearsFan