Rise of the Hutt Cartel: Thoughts?

Beniboybling

Interesting, any common negatives to expansions?

While not always a negative, designers can tweak major mechanics and philosophies with expansions. I'll use WoW as an example since most people are familiar with it. TBC (the first expansion) introduced flying mounts, smaller raid (Op) sizes, and somewhat less of a gear grind. It was largely seen as a huge success and subs rose. Next came WotLK. Dungeons (FPs) and raids became extremely easy. Purple gear dropped like candy. Resource management was a joke. All raids were available in 10 or 25 man settings. It also introduced heroic difficulty modes and a group finder. Some was good, some was bad, but this is the point subs started their decline. Next came Cataclysm. They attempted to keep the good points of WotLK and bring back the difficulty of TBC. While I personally liked it at first, many of those who liked TBC were gone and there was a massive outcry about the difficulty from the "Wrath babies" as they were called and subs continued to decline.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your taking your liberties as a customer a bit too far. We are paying to play the game, yes. But we aren't in charge of what happens in the story.

If we look at the Dread Masters, we see that they pose a threat. From what I know of the operations, they have done a lot of damage. They have the potential to do more. If the threat they pose is capable of threatening both sides, they would have to come to some sort of accord. Or at least make a cease-fire until the Dread Masters are taken care.

It would be possible, but I see the Empire taking care of them. They need a victory after Annihilation. Too bad it would be against themselves :p

like all the others that have left this game for greener pastures

Are they really not planning on including any new class storyline quests in this expansion? Because that's a huge disspointment if it's only 'normal' quests. Sorry but the only reason I grind planets is to experience the story and my character's choices that influence the outcome. It's the entire selling point of this game, so how could they purposefully cut out the heart?

I really want to see what happens to the agent after chapter 3 but now I guess I'll never know because Bioware has effectively shut down the 'storylines' probably forever. It makes sense, with the free to play death spiral one expects bioware to be unable to produce new quality content. Or am I reading this all wrong?

Here is to hoping that they left out new 'class stories' in the expansion description...

Edited by Solinda

Are they really not planning on including any new class storyline quests in this expansion? Because that's a huge disspointment if it's only 'normal' quests. Sorry but the only reason I grind planets is to experience the story and my character's choices that influence the outcome. It's the entire selling point of this game, so how could they purposefully cut out the heart?

I really want to see what happens to the agent after chapter 3 but now I guess I'll never know because Bioware has effectively shut down the 'storylines' probably forever. It makes sense, with the free to play death spiral one expects bioware to be unable to produce new quality content. Or am I reading this all wrong?

Here is to hoping that they left out new 'class stories' in the expansion description...

Well there was an interview with Hall Hood a while ago, and although he wasn't clear (these guys never are) I get the feeling we won't be seeing class quests in this future expansion. Most likely it will be like Ilum (hopefully a lot better) with a main, planet quest playable by all - which probably ends with a FP and has lots of side quests and heroic missions surrounding it. I have no doubt it will be fun and engaging, with an interesting story/characters. But it won't be a class quest which is a little disappointing. I do hope we will see this in the future - fingers crossed.

It's cool but I'd like them to be a little more creative.What about a completely uknown & powerful faction

that attacks both sides controled by an extremely powerful warlord?They could make an Operation

in a massive space battle that you can infiltrate the faction's mother ship and take down the warlord.

And THEN you find the involvment of the Dread Masters and finish them off in the next Operation.

What do you think?

Well there was an interview with Hall Hood a while ago, and although he wasn't clear (these guys never are) I get the feeling we won't be seeing class quests in this future expansion. Most likely it will be like Ilum (hopefully a lot better) with a main, planet quest playable by all - which probably ends with a FP and has lots of side quests and heroic missions surrounding it. I have no doubt it will be fun and engaging, with an interesting story/characters. But it won't be a class quest which is a little disappointing. I do hope we will see this in the future - fingers crossed.

They specifically stated in a yellow post somewhere that there are no class quests in this expansion, but that we will love it (Like we loved the xmas speeder...).

I have also heard rumors of an interview where they say class stories will only continue if the game starts making more money, which I think is good and bad. Good because I am happy to pay more in order to see those stories, but bad because if they realise easier content is making them money (Due to people buying it in an attempt to finance story content) then they will just keep delaying story content while taking our money. I know that isn't a great attitude, but I don't really want to buy this new expansion without knowing that my money is helping the game grow in the direction I want.

They specifically stated in a yellow post somewhere that there are no class quests in this expansion, but that we will love it (Like we loved the xmas speeder...).

I have also heard rumors of an interview where they say class stories will only continue if the game starts making more money, which I think is good and bad. Good because I am happy to pay more in order to see those stories, but bad because if they realise easier content is making them money (Due to people buying it in an attempt to finance story content) then they will just keep delaying story content while taking our money. I know that isn't a great attitude, but I don't really want to buy this new expansion without knowing that my money is helping the game grow in the direction I want.

Well they have to finish the story at some point, there are a lot of loose ends to wrap up... but this could be achieved in a KOTOR 3 or something. And now I think about it the main plot holes can be filled without class quests - but we'll see.

I really hope that they keep and rescale all the existing end game content and add some new operations and fps in the future, I can't see why any company would create (over time) a decent amount of end game content and challenges for hardcore players, and then suddenly raise a level cap and offer new gear that makes the rewards and challenge provided by these obselete, only to be replaced by one planet with level 55 mobs/heroics etc.. Also will pvp brackets now be level 10-54 and 55 only?... they really do need to provide more information on some of these questions before asking for peoples money...

Welp, I'm sad now. Was so excited about the expansion and the idea of a 4th chapter of each personal storyline. I would have paid 20-40 dollars for that and know other people who would have as well.

This new Quesh questing zone for $10 without dark and light choices, character hubs and story arcs for your companions is just basically an update. Shouldn't my sub fee cover that? I guess the sub base can no longer pay for servers so they are slamming together the 'last' update into a paid release before turning out the lights.

Very disspointed. I understood in my heart that free to play meant there would be no expansion or continued support for this game. They really got my hopes up via their spammed e-mail before only to nail the coffin lid shut nice on this game. Good troll bioware, good troll.

Edited by Solinda

Welp, I'm sad now. Was so excited about the expansion and the idea of a 4th chapter of each personal storyline. I would have paid 20-40 dollars for that and know other people who would have as well.

This new Quesh questing zone for $10 without dark and light choices, character hubs and story arcs for your companions is just basically an update. Shouldn't my sub fee cover that? I guess the sub base can no longer pay for servers so they are slamming together the 'last' update into a paid release before turning out the lights.

Very disspointed. I understood in my heart that free to play meant there would be no expansion or continued support for this game. They really got my hopes up via their spammed e-mail before only to nail the coffin lid shut nice on this game. Good troll bioware, good troll.

I am dissapointed too, but I doubt were not going to see lightside/darkside choices - they happen in all arcs, not just story. (and the planets quests are second best to story) Nor can we judge the planet this early in, I'm sure it will be very good and have lots of new features. So give it a chance. I do hope this isn't the last expansion we'll see for SWTOR, but I guess their probably crossing their fingers as much as we are. Lets just hope lots of people buy it...

"Quesh"? Who said it was Quesh sized. They said it would be comparable in size to the largest planets in the game. Also, there are TONS of dark/light side choices in world arc missions.

I am skeptical on this one. This is the first time that I can remember of a company coming out with 2 week pre-order deadline with no relevant detail. There is no timeline on the release. Other then 5 levels there is little information on what it is.

I preordered last time on good faith based on Bioware's name. I wish I hadn't the game was months away from being ready for release. I cancelled my sub and came back later.

It feels like they are rushing things just at a chance to grab more money. This is not a good sign at all. Cartel store may be bringing in some money but I believe they have a lot of their cosmetic items priced too high. The store revenue should have covered this expansion without a need to go back to the subscribers for more money.

If they want anything more then a subscription from me. They better actually give me a real idea of what the expansion entails. Not just a few minor highlights.

hardly, this isnt the universe your looking for. although i will say i think bioware would do it with the way the game is going. its why i canceled my sub. Till i see star WARS, im out.

Your constant repition of telling us you cancelled your sub has offically become annoying, it's fine that you did that but the way you keep going on and on about it is like a sort of sad attempt at humiliating Bioware. Secondly, I suppose you never heard of a cold war? If you had paid attention you would have found out that there was a truce after the sacking of coruscant, which led to the current state of the galaxy. This is why characters fight without trying to go into full-blown war. besides by the third chapter it IS war, but there are so many planets in SW that you can't be expected to partake in EVERY fight.

but is that really star wars. a big part of why ALL my friend quit minus one is that the game was no longer about fighting between the republic and the empire, but over third party factions that most of us would rather have bombarded from space.

Star wars isn't black and white. Much of the lore involves more than two warring factions, even in the SW movies.

Your constant repition of telling us you cancelled your sub has offically become annoying, it's fine that you did that but the way you keep going on and on about it is like a sort of sad attempt at humiliating Bioware. Secondly, I suppose you never heard of a cold war? If you had paid attention you would have found out that there was a truce after the sacking of coruscant, which led to the current state of the galaxy. This is why characters fight without trying to go into full-blown war. besides by the third chapter it IS war, but there are so many planets in SW that you can't be expected to partake in EVERY fight.
Exactly, there are as much wars in SWTOR than there is in A New Hope, more infact. Despite the name Star Wars isn't about perpetual epic battles between mighty opponents, it's about heroes, villains and scoundrels. If you want "wars" go watch Lord of the Rings, Star Wars isn't for you...