Masks + Hoods

DarthVindictus

Seriously, why was this changed from beta where you could wear a mask with a hood over top. Certain characters in the game don't look right not having a hood over their mask. In particular, a certain Dark Lord of the Sith who made his debut in Knights of the Old Republic. He looks ridiculous without the hood, and so does my character.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, it's interesting to note that in EVERY trailer for the game there is a sith wearing a mask with a hood. I mean, Darth Malgus is the poster child for that combination.. I played a Sith Inquisitor in EVERY build of Beta, but can't bring myself to touch one now. If my character looks ridiculous, I lose all motivation to play him.

I get it, helmets were causing some clipping errors... But let's not destroy such an iconic part of the Old Republic canon to fix a few minor graphical issues.

Maybe put headgear into two categories, helmets and masks. Helmets can remove the hood graphic and masks can leave it on. The particular models that caused clipping issues can simply be labeled as helmets (or hats for light armor). The rest can be labeled as masks.

I'd really love to play my SI, but looking at him makes me angry..

Also, the first time I saw that particular boss in that one instance since they took away mask/hood combos, I literally felt sick to my stomach.

Not to mention in beta us Twi'lek's had our lekku tucked forward for hoods... Now we do not have them all, because scrubs had problems with clipping.

Yeah, it was somewhat plausible for a certain NPC spoiler character for the inquisitors to make some sense for Twi'lek inquisitors, due to his hood maybe covering the Lekku, but now it just looks dumb because the "Ancestor" is not possibly a Twi'lek.

I can't pick up an assassin even though I played Assassin through several beta builds, once they made that change, I Really wanted to use that NPC's mask with a hooded robe, the look was amazing, but once they changed it I looked plain goofy and couldn't stand it.

The real irony is that I use the "hide head slot" option to be able to actually see the hood on my robe heh

Also, think about how important masks are to Sith culture.. the Dark Side corrupts and twists a Sith's appearance.. wearing a mask is part of how Sith culture copes with that.. It creates the mystery and sinister persona..

Edited by Aphrodisiac

This honestly makes me very disappointed. I was looking forward to having the mask+hood combo VERY MUCH. I don't understand why this isn't in the game. It kind of pisses me off.

What is more infuriating is that is WAS in game, but was removed. Due in part to some minor complaints about texture clipping (primarily on republic side where there are fewer masks and more hats for the head slot)

http://www.swtor.com/media/screens/sith-assassin-0

There's an in-game screenshot of a hood & mask on at the same time and it looks PERFECTLY FINE to me.

Yeah, but that's from an older build of beta. If you try wearing a hooded robe and most masks now (there are a few that don't do this but most will cut off the hood) it disables the hood on the robe.

I don't understand why seeing that it worked earlier.

It's because there are some head items that are actually hats, not masks that have pointy cones and horns and other goofy stuff (especially for Jedi Consulars), they clipped through hoods. But instead of fixing those helmets they did an umbrella approach of any head item that covers the entire head and not just the face disables hoods. It's a lame "fix" and honestly why couldn't they have just told their art team to not design goofy looking hats that most people tend to HATE on their inquisitors and consulars anyway?

Everything for Consular and Inquisitor should be designed to work with hooded robes, as they are iconic looks for Jedi and Sith.

It's because there are some head items that are actually hats, not masks that have pointy cones and horns and other goofy stuff (especially for Jedi Consulars), they clipped through hoods. But instead of fixing those helmets they did an umbrella approach of any head item that covers the entire head and not just the face disables hoods. It's a lame "fix" and honestly why couldn't they have just told their art team to not design goofy looking hats that most people tend to HATE on their inquisitors and consulars anyway?

Everything for Consular and Inquisitor should be designed to work with hooded robes, as they are iconic looks for Jedi and Sith.

Kind of a needed workaround until they can go through every single piece of headgear in the game, add a bit for "clipsHood", set it to true or false, and test it to make sure it works properly and that they have everything flagged correctly.

That's the kind of thing that takes some time, and there are far more critical priorities right now.

Kind of a needed workaround until they can go through every single piece of headgear in the game, add a bit for "clipsHood", set it to true or false, and test it to make sure it works properly and that they have everything flagged correctly.

That's the kind of thing that takes some time, and there are far more critical priorities right now.

Do you really think they're going to even bother fixing it?

I know to others that this may seem minor, but I really, really hope they fix this. I really want to be able to wear a Mask/Hood combo...

I hope they fix this... If the clipping issues are minor, who cares...?

Obviously BW cares, because if they did that they'd get a bunch of ..

"OMG why cant they fix this clipping issue! this game sucks!!! omg, gonna nerd rage quit"

they're probably working on it, just gotta have some patience people... hasnt been out a month yet lol

What is annoying me more about this, is that on my twi'lek now that I have a hooded chest piece is that it also removed the head piece I selected in my character customization.

So now not only can I not have my hood up as sith inq, which totally sucks, I also have part of my characters customization removed :mad:.