level 50 faction change over

TechRandy

at level 50, give the choice to change sides. I know this has been talked about a lot but, this is a new twist!

Either after your last class mission or during your last class mission have an option to switch sides. A one time deal non reversible.Also make it depend on your current level of light or dark

Behind the scene:(with respec have to choose advanced class & assign points again)

Jedi Knight -- Sith Warrior

Jedi Consular -- Sith inquisitor

Smuggler -- Bounty Hunter

Trooper -- Imperial Agent

Or just keep their current class/spec and only change their faction and that is it.

and being a lvl 50 there is no need to add more story or stuff.

Being with the expansion coming out you can either have this at 50 or 55 and adjust it for future expansions.

I know a lot of people want this, and if its a one time only thing you won't have problems with people going back and forth.

I just don't understand the point of faction changing. Why can't you just roll an alt? Double XP week + the boots, you'll get to level 50 quick...there is no real point in changing faction. Also explain the voice change if this would happen.. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Voice Overs

Companions

Ships

Equipment

Future Stories

I don't see why any of those would be difficult, if you take an empire item over to republic toon it automatically changes, companions can be given just like they would for anyone who picks the advanced class in the first place, as goes for the rest.

I don't see why any of those would be difficult, if you take an empire item over to republic toon it automatically changes, companions can be given just like they would for anyone who picks the advanced class in the first place, as goes for the rest.

Thank you for the possitive feedback. I agree totaly with you. there are several reasons why someone would want to do this such as you want the same name and don't want to delete your toon, and many more reasons

Ok, I guess I have to fully explain each one again:

Voice Overs - Going from being used to speaking as Brian Bloom/Jennifer Hale [Trooper] to speaking as Tom Spackman/Grey DeLisle [bounty Hunter].

Companions - The Affection you gained on your Trooper will be completely wiped and you are now forced to rebuild the Affections if you are even able to get the Bounty Hunter's Companions. Also, the Class Specific Companions are picked up THROUGH the Respective Class's Storyline, switching from Trooper to Bounty Hunter means that you did NOT do the Bounty Hunter's Storyline therefore you would not have any Companions [unless you had HK already unlocked.

Ships - Ships are acquired through your Class Story, so if you switched from Trooper to Bounty Hunter, you would not only lose your Trooper Ship & Allegiance Ship Droid but you wouldn't be able to pick up the Bounty Hunter's Ship & Allegiance Ship Droid. Meaning, you will be limited in where & how you travel places.

Equipment - Troopers wield Rifles and BFG's, Bounty Hunters wield Pistols with possibility to Dual Wield. Sure they might "operate" the same, but playing as a Bounty Hunter is fundamentally different from that of a Trooper, especially when the Advanced Classes come into play. Smugglers and Imperial Agents also work differently, more so the Imperial Agent Sniper their fire rate and operation is different from that of their Smuggler Counterpart. Not to mention, Imperial Agents have Rifle/Sniper Rifle and Vibroknife while the Smugglers get Pistols & Shotgun/Dual Pistols so now they are Weapon Less.

Future Stories - Allowing Allegiance Switching will automatically kill ALL Future Class Stories and possibly ALL Future Stories period.

--------------

More:

Worlds that they can visit - If a Trooper who knows where & how to get to Ord Mantell & Tython changes to the Sith Empire has to automatically forget the Location AND how to get there and now is able to not only get to Nal Hutta but also Korriban?

Storyline Period - Jedi Knight, light or dark, had spent all 50+ Levels attacking, killing, underminding the Sith Empire

Jedi Knight also kills the Sith Emperor

And so the Sith Empire is supposed to welcome the turned Jedi Knight with welcome arms despite everything that they did? Would the Jedi Knight who would now be a Sith Warrior now be

The Emperor's Wrath?

So you're suggesting that in the event of future story expansions, they not only create continuations for the 8 existing lines, but 8 completely new ones for 'defectors'? This would admittedly be awesome, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it's wildly impractical for the devs from a cost standpoint.

And if your simply converting/getting slotted in to your mirror on the opposite side, what is the point of a transfer? Your previous story was just rendered completely null anyway, why not just create a new character of the appropriate class? If you want to use the same name, just liquidate everything on your current character, put all the credits/gear/items in holding with a placeholder alt, delete and reroll.

Edited by jovianus

I don't understand it that way.

I have BH, who is 99% in the light side. I just stay BH, with my skills, with my companions - the things that change are: from now on I dock on Republic fleet, I can visit Republic planets (and can't visit anymore Imperial ones) without be able doing the usual quests on those planets, but of course can do the repeatable ones, the dailies, the FPs and OPs on Republic side.

Considering how little time it takes to level a character to 50 (ever try Aion or EQ1?) the drama it would create amongst a lot of fans who thought storyline purity was being thrown in the dumpster, and the potential future storyline costs associated with such a move, I don't think this idea would have enough community support to justify the cost of a revamp.

I have BH, who is 99% in the light side. I just stay BH, with my skills, with my companions - the things that change are: from now on I dock on Republic fleet, I can visit Republic planets (and can't visit anymore Imperial ones) without be able doing the usual quests on those planets, but of course can do the repeatable ones, the dailies, the FPs and OPs on Republic side.

Except most of your companions would refuse to switch with you.

My companions don't have Light/Dark side...

Ah but they do have personality and some would conflict with Switching Sides

And then you would no longer get any individualized Class Story or possibly no future Class Story at all. And while what you are saying might make sense for the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler, that wouldn't for the other 6 Classes

The issue is what happens with future expansions, not just story but level wise.

Do they put trainers for all 8 classes in both fleets and on every planet?

Include rewards for all 8 classes in every quest for both sides?

And if there are story expansions in the future, what happens with your char?

Does your BH get drafted into the Republic Army and just get slotted into the Trooper quest line? That has issues by itself, because it's going to be kind of awkward to have General Garza reminding your BH of all the great work he did for her on Coruscant and Nar Shaddaa. :p

Do they create 8 completely new story lines for 'defectors, in addition to continuations for the 8 existing storylines?

Ah but they do have personality and some would conflict with Switching Sides

And then you would no longer get any individualized Class Story or possibly no future Class Story at all. And while what you are saying might make sense for the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler, that wouldn't for the other 6 Classes

I think the faction jumping could be a cool option. But it is impractical and unlikely to happen for any number of reasons. Other people can talk about those.

I just wanted to point out that the Imperial Agent story is perfectly designed for faction jumping. Moreso than either the bounty hunter or the smuggler. (I shan't spoil anyone...go youtube the ending for yourself. Or play an agent - incidentally it's my favorite storyline.)

as others has listed the only way to do it is either faction change and it resets your class story which you would then have to play all the way through as a level 50 which kind of defeats the point of why you want to change factions I bet if you have to replay the story to level up, or it is a major undertaking in added voice over doubling any future class story addtion that the cost I doubt would work. added to the the whole changes in main hand/offhand for non jedi/sith.