Concern for the future

MjSplicer

I have been playing swtor for well over a year and a half,. II do enjoy the new products that they put out, however i have a concern about the future here. IN the next coupe months, as many of us know, Bethesda will be launching ESO. This is a massive game to try and go against, and yet EA and BIoware have nothing on the horizon to counter it. A new FP this coming month is nice, sort of as there is not a whole lot there for endgamers to really get excited about, but were is the next expansion. Its been a year since the release of ROTHC with no hint of another expansion on the horizon. Oricon and CZ were nice small add ons, although if i hear Ramuss or Vigilant speak again i might have to remove my ears, but were is the next Makeb, the next level cap, the things that keep the endgame players happy. Lets face it most of this games subs are those endgame players and If BW doesn't step it up fast, i worry about the future of the swtor galaxy

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think about it this way, in previous years Bioware has given us a sneak peak into whats coming this year. This time however they have kept silent beyond 2.6. Now this game is still generating money, and Musco has said even that there is stuff coming that he can't talk too much about, which makes me suspect they do have a hidden ace somewhere that they are waiting to surprise us with. Just a theory

ESO is a great RPG but a bad MMO, so I don't think any real MMO's have anything to worry about.

Truth be told, all MMO's have a core group of supporters that play it to exclusion of all else and the rest are transients that jump from title to title without any loyalty to a specific title.

Every time a new game comes out there are chicken little's that cry that the sky is falling...for what reason I don't know but I suspect they think their cries will push the dev team of their chosen MMO to magically do everything "perfectly" (which is whatever that individual thinks is best for the game and to hell with the rest of the players opinions).

This game has come a long way since it launched, and since none of us are precog's we have no idea where it will go in the future but I'll take the Buddhist path and enjoy the now and worry about the future when it becomes the present.

ESO looks and plays like trash.

The reason the RPG is so great is because players are customizing it to their liking using mods.

The mods I use in Skyrim make the game look damn close to next gen graphically.

Those great elements which make Skyrim such an appealing game to the masses are non existant for ESO.

ESO looks worse than SWTOR and the game play is rough.

Now, the new MMOs coming out in the next year... those may have an impact on SWTOR, but certainly not ESO.

Edited by DarkMontie

The reason the RPG is so great is because players are customizing it to their liking using mods.

Those great elements which make Skyrim such an appealing game to the masses are non existant for ESO.

Now, the new MMOs coming out in the next year... those may have an impact on SWTOR, but certainly not ESO.

Yup, I could never play any of the TES games (from morrowind up) without mods... I just can't get over the anime sized weapons.

And those bows in skyrim? Wth is up with those gigantic impractical wierdo bows?

Yup, I could never play any of the TES games (from morrowind up) without mods... I just can't get over the anime sized weapons.

And those bows in skyrim? Wth is up with those gigantic impractical wierdo bows?

Skyrim has LARP weapons. :D They can be modded out though. What my biggest annoyance with the game is, is the size of the cities. Jewel of Skyrim, the trading capital of an entire Province, Whiterun, consits of... 8 small wooden houses, a couple shacks and... yeah, that's pretty much it.

ESO has had nothing but bad press from the beta, and is a traditional swords/sorcery game that doesnt really cut into ToRs demographic.

I'd be more worried about Wildstar, as it is a Scifi game and seems to be going for a more old school approach and has more sandboxy features that a lot of people around here claim to love.

I'd be more worried about Wildstar, as it is a Scifi game and seems to be going for a more old school approach and has more sandboxy features that a lot of people around here claim to love.

Wildstar is trying to be "WoW funny" but it's just a dumb, childish anime game.

I couldn't agree with you more. I Beta tested it twice and twice it failed to even come close to what I'd expect. In my opinion, there is no way the game is going to stay sub for long. It isn't worth the price of the box and the price of the sub.

Care to elaborate? All the press I've seen thus far has been largely positive compared to the aforementioned ESO.

Look at the characater models. It looks like something aimed at 10 yearolds. It's not even "stylized" like Wow or SWTOR, it's just childish.

think about it this way, in previous years Bioware has given us a sneak peak into whats coming this year. This time however they have kept silent beyond 2.6. Now this game is still generating money, and Musco has said even that there is stuff coming that he can't talk too much about, which makes me suspect they do have a hidden ace somewhere that they are waiting to surprise us with. Just a theory

I agree with this, something is on the horizon........

I have good news and bad news for you.

The good news are: ESO is terrible. It will flop bad.

The bad news: With the current scarce of content and information, SWTOR wont be getting any better.

As others have said, more serious concerns would be Wildstar and the new WoW Expansion leaving behind panda land.

Edited by Nemmar

I have been playing swtor for well over a year and a half,. II do enjoy the new products that they put out, however i have a concern about the future here. IN the next coupe months, as many of us know, Bethesda will be launching ESO. This is a massive game to try and go against, and yet EA and BIoware have nothing on the horizon to counter it. A new FP this coming month is nice, sort of as there is not a whole lot there for endgamers to really get excited about, but were is the next expansion. Its been a year since the release of ROTHC with no hint of another expansion on the horizon. Oricon and CZ were nice small add ons, although if i hear Ramuss or Vigilant speak again i might have to remove my ears, but were is the next Makeb, the next level cap, the things that keep the endgame players happy. Lets face it most of this games subs are those endgame players and If BW doesn't step it up fast, i worry about the future of the swtor galaxy

A lot of people don't seem to realize this but we just had an expansion released called Galactic Star Fighter. Don't expect to see another expansion for another year if you even really want to call them that. I don't think this game is ever going to get an actual expansion back. Its probably going to always be these small "DLC" updates.

As for level caps......no just *********** no. I hate level cap increases. I'm still pissed that this game raised the cap to 55 when there was no need to. Level cap increase is the laziest way ever to add content and it KILLS old content.

The future of swtor will be fine. The damn game made like $140 million last year. It aint going anywhere any time soon for pve players. Sadly I can't say the same about pvp but whatever.

ESO is not a bad game by any means. Its actually better gameplay wise. I like the fact that I dont have to worry about hitting "1234567890-=" all the time and it plays how an elder scrolls game should (more in tuned with morrowind).

But this game doesnt have to worry about anything. "Star Wars" is keeping this game alive, and to me seems it is the ONLY thing keeping it alive. If this were an original IP im sure this game would have been dead long ago as it offers nothing new other than bioware's cutscene mission pick ups.

I didn't dislike TESO but as someone who hasn't played any of the former TES games aside from a few hours I couldn't really get into it, I just felt out of place. At the same time, it's the TES fans, single player gamers, who are more critical of that game since they don't think a MMO (let alone a themepark) is what that franchise is about and they say it ruins their immersion and so on. SWTOR had a bit of that problem too since many people including me would have prefered KOTOR 3, but unlike TES everyone and their mothers know Star Wars, the Jedi. the Dark Side, and so on, so it has a way broader appeal.

So yeah... one way or the other I think TESO is probably going to flop. If anything I'd be more concerned about Wildstar, it doesn't have an established IP behind it but it has had more favorable reviews than TESO.

Star Wars is Star Wars and it'll always have its niche. Many people, from many games' playerbases, will probably go play those games and then go back to their former games in 1 or 2 months. It's always like this. Even at its lowest point SWTOR managed to survive the release of Guild Wars 2, which was a considerably better and more appealing game.

This game still has many flaws and I'll be forever resentful of them dropping the class stories (thankfully I still have some classes left to play), but as a whole the game is in a decent shape now, they have improved many things and it's making money through the CM. I'm sure it will do just fine this year; they just need to reveal a new expansion asap since GSF didn't really cut it for the many of us who don't care about space pvp.

Edited by Khyle

I didn't dislike TESO but as someone who hasn't played any of the former TES games aside from a few hours I couldn't really get into it, I just felt out of place. At the same time, it's the TES fans, single player gamers, who are more critical of that game since they don't think a MMO (let alone a themepark) is what that franchise is about and they say it ruins their immersion and so on. SWTOR had a bit of that problem too since many people including me would have prefered KOTOR 3, but unlike TES everyone and their mothers know Star Wars, the Jedi. the Dark Side, and so on, so it has a way broader appeal.

So yeah... one way or the other I think TESO is probably going to flop. If anything I'd be more concerned about Wildstar, it doesn't have an established IP behind it but it has had more favorable reviews than TESO.

Star Wars is Star Wars and it'll always have its niche. Many people, from many games' playerbases, will probably go play those games and then go back to their former games in 1 or 2 months. It's always like this. Even at its lowest point SWTOR managed to survive the release of Guild Wars 2, which was a considerably better and more appealing game.

This game still has many flaws and I'll be forever resentful of them dropping the class stories (thankfully I still have some classes left to play), but as a whole the game is in a decent shape now, they have improved many things and it's making money through the CM. I'm sure it will do just fine this year; they just need to reveal a new expansion asap since GSF didn't really cut it for the many of us who don't care about space pvp.

I think, because of their similarities (relying strongly on a single player IP), TESO will go the same way SW:TOR went.

It will most likely go F2P within the year and then it'll stable out and have a lower but reliable number of players.

I'd be more concerned with WoW's expansion that ESO or Wildstar.

WoD is ridiculously stupid.

Imagine if here in SWTOR our next storyline involved Dread Master Calyphayus escaping from prison and traveling back in time to the last war and tried to bring the Sith there back to the present to fight us. But instead of fighting off his invasion here in the present, we also all traveled back in time to fight him there.

That is basically WoD's storyline.

Edited by Icebergy

WoD is ridiculously stupid.

Imagine if here in SWTOR our next storyline involved Dread Master Calyphayus escaping from prison and traveling back in time to the last war and tried to bring the Sith there back to the present to fight us.

That is basically WoD's storyline.

Good thing not ONE person gives 2 craps about the storyline. People are drooling over the new models and their version of player housing . :p

Edited by Jandi

Look at the characater models. It looks like something aimed at 10 yearolds. It's not even "stylized" like Wow or SWTOR, it's just childish.

Plenty of games have childish/stylized graphics and managed to be very successful, I'd suggest the design aesthetic is not the handicap you believe it to be.