Subbed for a month, won't be back

bespinsystem

I have a similar feeling as OP. It was time when i enjoyed SWTOR - mostly my 1st run with sith inqusitor, but after a while it shows up that MMOs are just not for me, and i got bored without will to carry on. Happens, no big deal.

The good thing is that there is a pleanty of other games to enjoy. So far im chilling out with DAO, i hope to get Wargame, UFO, Chilvary and Dishonored some time soon.

The good thing about games is that everyone can enjoy favorite tittle without bashing others who like others.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't recognise the game you are playing with some of these items.

Levelling 1-20 is easy, at no time on 11 different characters did I have anything that needed me to zone to apply a medpac. It was also easy to keep people geared from random drops, mission rewards and using commendations. The only things I have bought on the GTN for anyone less than level 50 are orange items that I want because they have the look I like for a character and the cartel speeders and pets (the former because they scale with skill and the latter just for fun).

Crafting was also not time consuming, just by picking up materials that I ran past I have been able to keep every crafter I have at a skill level that means I need the materials on the next planet before I reach it. That is by sending companions off occasionally and setting up some 5x crafts of an item before logging off.

Don't get random invites and I see very little ninja looting. Of course I do play on a PvE server which may make a difference.

Chat is pretty poor on the 1st 2 worlds but seems to get a lot better after that.

I think that the main issue may be that you have seen about 10% of the game 8 times over. This is not a good way to play the game. Level characters up to 50 by swapping between them only when you really need to if you want to make best use of rested XP (ideally swap between Republic and Empire each time as well). e.g. Play Trooper until you have no rested XP left then swap to Sith Inquisitor then swap back.

That means that you won't be revisiting a planet for a few weeks at least.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

You know everyone has the right to express their opinion in the forum's (as long as they arn't in violation of the TOS) so I read your post & I have to say 99.9% of what you are complaining about is totally typical in an MMO today. The you stated SWTOR doesn't feel like an MMO because the server you were on was to many players in the area you were in, well sorry but thats the way an MMO works, some area's are crowded & some aren't. The starting area's are always bogged down in the MMO's I have played.

As far as the chat goes, I have to laugh....sorry dude, but the chat in this game is pretty tame compaired to say......WoW, if you don't like it don't look.:rolleyes:

You stated some of the end fights/battles are way to hard, but you never even got close to the end of the game? There are some fights that are hard, but one thing I'v found is if your gear AND your companion's gear is up to level or close the way the gear tiering work's you shouldn't have much of a problem do the reg. mission's as lond as you understand how to play your toon.....it's a game, you sound like you don't want to work hard to level or have to think about what you are doing? BioWare did a good job imo, you have to think about it this game hasn't been out there for 6-7 years. There are other mmo's out there that have been dumbed down so much a 5 year old can play them now..........Good luck dude, sorry you didn't like the game :rak_03:

Well that was probably the best quit post I've read in a long time. I think the OP deserves credit for taking the time to share his opinions and experiences so eloquently. It was a pleasure to read and I think that a lot of the points raised are valid.

Of course, repeating the first 20% of the game's content across multiple classes may not be the best way to get a feel for everything the game offers. However, that first 20% is often the most critical. First impressions and all that. It may not be enough to qualify you to judge the game as a whole, but it's certainly enough to determine whether or not you wish to continue. The OP doesn't. Fair enough.

Yes leveling is easy, especially when you got loads of precense. For a new player without any presence it´s alot harder. Still not too hard imo, but alot harder.

Imo comunity is what makes or brakes an MMO. swtor comunity isn´t great, but it´s ok. t´s all about finding the right group of guys and gals to play with.

The thing about crafting i dont agree. For me crafing should take more time. Not more time for companions to craft or get materials, but it should take time on the actual toon with the crafting skill, not time on his companions.

The way i see it crafting takes no time at all for your avatar, and imo that´s not right.

Well that was probably the best quit post I've read in a long time. I think the OP deserves credit for taking the time to share his opinions and experiences so eloquently. It was a pleasure to read and I think that a lot of the points raised are valid.

First, I second that. (Well, except for the length - It was too long).

But the poster is completely wrong.

I have done what he has done - played every type of characters to 10 on both sides, and most of these to 20.

And I disagree with most of his findings. I am pretty sure he rushed through content and went severely underleveled.

If you do 90-95% of the quests (on each planet there is at least one quest I usually leave out because I hate it), at level 20 you find yourself early on your third Planet (Taris/Balmorra). And you get along nicely. On the other hand, I have seen level 16s trying to do Nar Shaddaa, bitterly complaining that they die all the time. Well, yes - get your *** to Taris/Balmorra, or back to Coruscant/Dromund Kaas to do all the quests you left out.

Or join groups for Heroics. Or do Flashpoints. Or PvP. Or Space Missions. There is really so much to do to gain XP and level. If you stay 2 levels ahead of the content, most of it is a breeze. If you stay on par, it's a little challenging. If you lag behind it you'll have a hard time.

As for starter quest, he is right about one thing: the first soldier phase in the volcano is really hard. You have no companion at this point, and the imperial soldiers there rip you to shreds, especially with their engineers and their damned debuffs. I usually try to find help for that part.

And he is right about the damned ninjas. Its gotten worse, especially on places like Coruscant and Drom und Kaas. Kill and case stealing is a habit for some.

And I subbed after a few hours of playing. Love this game. :eek:

Same here, but the OP's point about the social aspects of the game is quite valid.

I've been in Flashpoints, teams, all sorts of stuff and the only time I've actually had a conversation (RP or otherwise) is in a Black Talon run with some RPers...otherwise no one says anything, ever. The best chance for a convo is General chat.

The game otherwise is MMO...grind and craft and re-roll. The game could really use a branching level 20-30 path because Nar Shaddaa is getting a little old, Taris is nice for a change though.

Same here, but the OP's point about the social aspects of the game is quite valid.

I've been in Flashpoints, teams, all sorts of stuff and the only time I've actually had a conversation (RP or otherwise) is in a Black Talon run with some RPers...otherwise no one says anything, ever. The best chance for a convo is General chat.

The game otherwise is MMO...grind and craft and re-roll. The game could really use a branching level 20-30 path because Nar Shaddaa is getting a little old, Taris is nice for a change though.

That would be nice to add a branching option to leveling at that level.

Also, it would be nice if people were more interactive, but I think it's a combination of jerks who don't care about the other people in the group, and people who have burned by such.

I still love this game a lot, and will be paying for a sub for a while to come.

I long for the days when people just stopped playing games they didn't like instead of this sad stuff.

I second that opinion why is it that ppl feel the need to complain to other random ppl on a board about not liking a game and then get mad when their post is criticized

I really do enjoy the game, but will give the OP credit because they had some very valid points, especially with some of the quests and resource ninja looting. I really can't stand playing Coruscant or Taris when it's crowded at the lower levels now. Bioware doesn't seem to have a very good idea of resource respawn time, especially on some quests where you have to click a glowie. It's for this reason I often just skip the stupid quest on Taris where you have to throw bombs in the Rakghoul caverns through the pipes. Those pipes are hard to find and often when you do find one someone else ninjas it from you or it is still respawning. Same goes for "kill" quests for bonuses. Often times the respawn rate is either just right or completely awful. Best example is the Gree mission in Coruscant where you have to kill 10 droids. It takes forever if there are more than 2 people in there, but then other areas the enemies respawn quickly and kill quests do not take that long to complete.

However I do disagree on leveling and game difficulty that is hinted at in the OP. SWTOR is probably the easiest MMO I have played besides Star Trek Online. The opening planets, especially Ord Mantel and Hutta are laughably easy. If you do the majority of the quests on each planet and take time to do Heroics and Flashpoints you will be way over leveled for the content, not to mention with all the XP boosts in game now. I find myself almost always +2 or +3 to content when starting a new planet, so much so that now I actually skip quests to try to be closer to level. You out level quest rewards so fast it isn't even funny.

I played this game as soon as it came out. I loved it at first!!! I was so looking forward to a story driven MMO. I left shortly before F2P became available. I left for a few reasons and missed the game for many others.

The reasons I left was the PVP. I enjoy PVP but at the same time it was pretty much the only thing anyone did. War Zones do get old from my point of view. I would log onto a planet and there would be 3 players on. There was no PVE oppertunity that I could find. My buddy and I would have to run flashpoints with our companions as finding group members would take for ever.

I had become a single player game with WarZones as a place to see some folks and remind myself that others did play.

To be fair to the community, I work long hours and don't have the time it can take to fully integrate into a player base. People I did become friends with would be level 50 way before I hit 30 and so on.

So I left,

I have re-subbed for a month to see if things have changed. I hear that things have changed a little. Many of the OP comments ring true to me. I think the Space combat sucks... lol but I still play them. I think it can be hard to find good people to run with, yet they must be there. Crafting in this game takes no time out of my play so i have no compaints there.

The story lines are oh so sweet and really are what keep me interested.

As far as game chalange goes... I found I would skip side questing because I was always way to ahead of the curve in power. I have never had a challenge with planet or solo quests. If I needed a boost in power, one or two flashpoints would get me up to par and they are really fun to boot.

I am now level 47, Op Healer and 45 marauder. I am having a tough time finding flash point groups. I am finding level 45-49 very slow as there are few others in that range.

I will hit 50 soon and then decide weather I want to keep subbing. It could be that I find my place in the community. I could be that its just not the game for me.

Thanks to all those I have had fun with and to all those I will have fun with.

I know it's been pointed out before, but just to press the point, playing to level 20 does not, in any sense, in any way, in any form, give a player the big picture of the game. I can get to level 20 in what... three hours maybe? It is not possible to get to know a whole mmo in that short of time either.

You're missing out leaving so early. You should stay and get to know the mmo more before deciding if you're done with it. Maybe you'll find that you actually like it!

Edited by Radzkie

People are mistaking the fact that he knows how to string a sentence together in a nice way for actually having valid points. Don't get me wrong he has some valid points like people stealing mobs and loot boxes (the simulation droids on tython are the earliest example) and the lacklustre space combat(which I actually enjoy but I understand his complaint anyway).

However the only starter quest I had any problem with was that trooper one he describes, other than that I often find myself over levelled and over geared in the 1-20 level planets. Only heroics and flashpoints are a challenge as you have to know how to play your class to its role.

I won't go into too much more as people seem to have covered most of it, but the whole community issue he has is stemming from being too passive and waiting for others to start the conversations. I always start in any group by saying hi to everyone, from then all you need to do is keep talking, even if they are quiet to begin with eventually people will start talking with you. Just say simple things that people will want to reply to in order to get the ball rolling, like 'everyone know about need/greed?' It may not seem very friendly but once they reply you have your opening to start chatting, making jokes and having fun.

Pro tip: apologise and make a joke out of your slip ups, like forgetting to heal yourself(something I do way too often)

I disagree with a lot of the op's statement. I have six characters, all republic side and i find they all have their own rythm, i enjoy them all so far, pve wise. Pvp wise some are easier then others. I also enjoy the storylines, love the fact u can make moral choices, alltho they are bit bland black/white. Gameplay is pretty much ok for me.

As to roleplaying...totally disagree there ...and that's what u get when u only play the game to lvl 20....u never went to the nar shadaa cantina on an rp server...in late hours there is lots of rp'ing there. Myself, i found a real nice guild that RP's two three times a week, with their own written side story, and that's not counting the visits in nar shadaa cantina.

I actually find the UI here a total failure...switching between several whispers?? non-existant. Quickbar setup possiblities. Guild window only allows inviting guildies inviting in group...how bout a whisper? UI in general leaves much to be desired on many many fronts

I do agree on the crafting topic ...having to log out and back in to get the right mission to send ur companion on is absolutely idiotic;

And i totally agree on the community topic. Ninja looting is standard in this game : i have seen guys admit on general chat they need on everything for worldbosses and i have seen that for myself that a LOT of ppl do need on everything, even on stuff that they absolutely cannot use (not even their companions). In one out of three FP's there is someone that needs on all...and i mean ALL, green blue, orange....ALL. I must be getting old but that kind of behaviour is appalling and shows a lack of acknowledging other people's existence. General chat....worse then wow, my ignore list in this game is completely filled. Only thing i can do is turn general chat off altogether.

Good thing that people that are on your ignore list wont be matched with you when you're in groupfinder.

If i wouldnt have found the guild im in i would probably do the same as the op

I second that opinion why is it that ppl feel the need to complain to other random ppl on a board about not liking a game and then get mad when their post is criticized

of course, complaining about complainers is not considered complaining, is it?

I totally don't understand how anyone can consider swtor leveling to be hard, especially in the extremely-easy-and-noob-friendly 1-20 range. Its close to impossible to die unless you try to solo heroics.

Oh I dunno... I've died from falling down elevator shafts, getting swarmed by 2 groups at once, some elite (gold star) npcs. I am not a complete idiot, but I probably don't use all my skills to the best of efficiency. I use several main ones all the time, and forget what the rest of them do. Especially if I haven't played that alt in a while. I don't think people are idiots if they get killed playing, but I don't think leveling is hard, either. About what I expected, I would say...

I can agree with OP on four things:

1. The crafting system is crude, tedious and (the useful part is) entirely dependent on endgame raiding.

2. Space combat on a rail is just archaic and boring, even if it looks good.

3. The swtor community is plainly vile, rude, ignorant and unwilling to help - at least for the most part.

4. Most guilds are really the way he describes them - elitistic or useless. Hard to find something in the middle.

Good thing, in swtor you don't need a community or a guild since practically everything can either be soloed or pugged - ofc, this might appear a little strange for an MMO but the social aspect is overrated anyway! ;)

I can agree with OP on four things:

1. The crafting system is crude, tedious and (the useful part is) entirely dependent on endgame raiding.

2. Space combat on a rail is just archaic and boring, even if it looks good.

3. The swtor community is plainly vile, rude, ignorant and unwilling to help - at least for the most part.

4. Most guilds are really the way he describes them - elitistic or useless. Hard to find something in the middle.

Good thing, in swtor you don't need a community or a guild since practically everything can either be soloed or pugged - ofc, this might appear a little strange for an MMO but the social aspect is overrated anyway! ;)

Despite the fact I do love the game, I too recognise so many of the OP's complaints (and appreciate the humourous manner in which they were presented). Point 3 is particularly true. I don't think I have met a more xenophobic, rude, elitist bunch of gamers generally in any MMO I have ever played. To the many who say "all MMO communities are like this", you are so, so wrong. In every other MMO the only people on my ignore list were gold spammers, I cannot say the same here. Mind you, it isn't quite so bad now the community seems to have more or less accepted FTP gamers are here to stay (back in November, the mood was just...eek). And well, at least we don't have gold-sellers here.

The fact so much of the game from 1-50 is single-player probably accounts for the lack of a good community. I do like to roleplay and chose a guild for that reason (despite point 3, lovely people by the way), but when someone was discussing their lunch-time plans while my Imperial Agent was undergoing a tortuous and poignant moment in their personal career story, I decided that SW:TOR and guilds are just not compatible. I already had GC off so as not to spoil my immersion and here I was having to listen to chat about pizza toppings while my poor character's life hung in the balance. And just where do you go with roleplay anyway when every character of the same class has the same personal story as your own? Can I roleplay this very personal story? Well no, because not only is it actually not personal at all, but discussing it means revealing spoilers for those who are behind me in an Act or plan to roll the same class one day.

"Game starts at 50" is a bit of a joke too when there are only 2 ops that I know of and half a dozen viable flashpoints. Love it or hate it, lets not pretend we are not just cycling through a very small amount of content day after day.

OP, I can't agree with you about the music (I loathe it :p), but I do wish I had met you in game. You sound a lot of fun and I think you would have got along with the 3 people I met when I started back in November and sort of hang out with on a daily basis now we are all L50. I met a 4th tonight who I think will be joining our raggedy bunch of misfits, but that's a sorry amount for the 10 weeks I have been here. My ignore list on the other hand....

Edited by KariTalRathe

of course, complaining about complainers is not considered complaining, is it?

Oh yea i sure am complaining... all I was doing was supporting the previous guys post, but if you think tht yur comment is truly worthwhile to the thread then good on you sir