Marauder vs. Commando

Jisu

Maybe someone can explain to me why it seems fair that a Commando has both a stun (freeze bomb?) and a knockback + slow at 16, and a Marauder at 22 only has Force Jump and a root break on a 2min cooldown? This is also beside the fact that a Commando can heal himself, and wears heavier armor than a Marauder.

Make sense of that, please. Do I, supposedly, do more damage as a Marauder and that's why I'm screwed out of any reasonable way to stay in contact with a Commando? Unless all his abilities happen to be down...

Edited by Jisu

Marauders end up with 3 very good defensive abilities, 2 stuns (Force Choke and Chilling Scream which is an AOE stun), have an 8 second interrupt cooldown, and all of their main abilities are instant or uninterruptable. Not to mention Predation/Bloodthirst at higher levels.

Commandos/Mercs need to channel most of their abilities which means they can be interrupted and shut down. The damage prevented by heavy armor is negligible in most situations. Healing themselves is only useful if you get put in a one-minute stun in which case you just use your cc-break.

TLDR: Low level stuff is not an indication of level 50/55 stuff. Marauders destroy everything at max level in both PVP and PVE.

Marauders end up with 3 very good defensive abilities

I have two of them, and I wouldn't really call them "very good". Decent, sure, but not "very good". I can pop both Cloak of Pain and Saber Ward and still take a lot of damage from anyone. I will rarely finish off someone after popping both of those, and then there's also the cooldown, which means it will only work for me every so often (if it even does).

2 stuns (Force Choke and Chilling Scream which is an AOE stun)

Force choke isn't really a stun, more of a hold. Chilling Scream sounds important, it's just too bad I don't get either of those yet and I'm forced to deal with people that have theirs.

have an 8 second interrupt cooldown

8 vs 12... Not too impressed.

all of their main abilities are instant or uninterruptable

Except Master Strike, or Ravage. At any rate, it's probably my best and most damaging attack, and unsurprisingly is the one I'm most stunned during while using it... likely because all my other attacks don't really compare on a whole. I can understand the quickness of the attacks, but they just don't do that much for me vs. what everyone else has.

Not to mention Predation/Bloodthirst at higher levels.

I just got Predation now. We'll see how well that works.

Commandos/Mercs need to channel most of their abilities which means they can be interrupted and shut down.

Once every 8 seconds... With both their stun and knockback+slow, they can get a bunch of those off easy.

The damage prevented by heavy armor is negligible in most situations.

How do you figure that? It's more armor, and therefore more damage resistance, something a Marauder won't compare to.

Healing themselves is only useful if you get put in a one-minute stun in which case you just use your cc-break.

Even one heal can be enough to turn the battle in their favor. I can't heal.

Low level stuff is not an indication of level 50/55 stuff. Marauders destroy everything at max level in both PVP and PVE.

That wasn't really the point, but ok... I look forward to the day that I don't suck complete ***.

Maybe someone can explain to me why it seems fair that a Commando has both a stun (freeze bomb?) and a knockback + slow at 16, and a Marauder at 22 only has Force Jump and a root break on a 2min cooldown? This is also beside the fact that a Commando can heal himself, and wears heavier armor than a Marauder.

Make sense of that, please. Do I, supposedly, do more damage as a Marauder and that's why I'm screwed out of any reasonable way to stay in contact with a Commando? Unless all his abilities happen to be down...

Freeze bomb has a 10 meter range, and concussion charge is obviously a knockback. Now think to yourself, why would a ranged character need those abilities? obviously to keep melee at ranged.

But what about Marauders? at that low level you could go into Shii-Cho form and pop berserk for burst damage. You have retaliation which is off the GCD, cant miss, be parried/dodged and can also be used to set up some minor burst. You have deadly throw which reduces the amount of healing the target gets by 20%. You have crippling slash a spammable (rage permitting) attack that snares opponents and you. This isnt a test for me but one for yourself...why would a commando not need any of those abilities?

What exactly is it that you want is what i want to know. Do you want PVE or PVP equality across all classes? are you wanting to play a chess game where everybody is a pawn, but just different colors? Do you think PVP isnt fair? are you having trouble in PVE?

Edited by swtonewbie

Don't judge the classes before level 55. Marauders are notoriously underpowered before they get cooldowns starting around level 30. Once you start getting more abilities, the fights are much more even. It may not be "fair" that the leveling curves of classes are different, but it's a fact of life. Balancing only really occurs with lvl55 in mind, so it's useless to worry too much prior to that.

Here are some tips:

- Snare the opponent with Crippling Slash.

- Don't use Force Charge until he has done the knockback.

- Use Cloak of Pain from the beginning of the bout. As long as you are attacked, the duration gets longer.

- Depending on your skill tree, @22 you will have extra movement abilities, ie. A snare in Annihilation, extra movement speed in carnage and a snare in Rage. Use those wisely.

- If Force Charge is still on cooldown and you need to close distance, pop Predation.

- If opponent has used most of his controlling elements and you have fury, pop Berserk.

- Use your interrupt only on his most critical abilities. It would seem you dislike the heal. Interrupt that.

It is possible to take down a mercenary at that level.

Here is a tip.

Make a Commando (or Mercenary). Play the Commando/Mercenary. Go do PvP with the Commando/Mercenary. Fight Marauders/Sentinels in PvP.

Learn the Commando/Mercenary strengths and weakness. Learn from the Marauders/Sentinels that fight you and shut you down and kill you.

Go back to your Marauder and use the knowledge you learned.

(Considering how you feel now about Commandos, I think that you will be surprised by what you learn :).)

Even one heal can be enough to turn the battle in their favor. I can't heal.

If you spec into Annihilation, the talent "Hungering" (reachable at level 15) will cause your Critical hits with bleed effects to heal you.

Believe me.. there's really no point in PvPing at low levels on a Marauder. Juggernauts are ok because bolster gives them stupid defensive stats if they go into Soresu, but Marauders..

Commandos aren't even the worst.. It's genuinely impossible to kill a gunslinger if they get the drop on you unless they're like single digit IQ. They get their knockback, execute, stun, heavy hitters early on and you cannot leap. Even if you manage to get within melee range you still need to build rage, and by then you're dead.

Believe me.. there's really no point in PvPing at low levels on a Marauder. Juggernauts are ok because bolster gives them stupid defensive stats if they go into Soresu, but Marauders..

Commandos aren't even the worst.. It's genuinely impossible to kill a gunslinger if they get the drop on you unless they're like single digit IQ. They get their knockback, execute, stun, heavy hitters early on and you cannot leap. Even if you manage to get within melee range you still need to build rage, and by then you're dead.

Snipers/Gunslingers are the hard counter for Marauders... If equally skilled, that is.

Snipers/Gunslingers are the hard counter for Marauders... If equally skilled, that is.

We're talking lowbie PvP here. I understand that they counter them, but in lowbie PvP it's near impossible to kill them as a Marauder.

Marauder are designed with very talented players in mind.

Commandos are designed with the slow, mouseclicking, keyboardturning player in mind.

Lol!

I never thought I'd see the day when the smash monkeys were considered a class that took "talent" to play.

The fact that people are starting to consider them hard to play is probably the biggest sign that BW fixed the balance of the faceroll FOTM.