Healers: The new way to win warzones

JP_Legatus

But healing totally takes skill :rolleyes:

Shelved my Operative long ago. Always liked Concealment, but the few times I tried healing, it was epic fail. I just couldn't handle being focused and it was stressful trying to keep teammates up. Played my Operative for a bit after 2.0 dropped and healed like a boss. After a 4 month absence from the game, and probably didn't play that toon for months even before that, and someone who is notoriously bad at healing can suddenly play Operative healer like no one's business? Sorry, but it's overpowered. By a fairly large margin too.

It absolutely does take skill to be a healer. Just not as an Op/Scoundrel post-2.0. The ones who were good at it before are just ridiculous now.

I hated cross healing before it was mainsteam. Developers like to exacerbate things already bad in the game.

Op had ridiculous survivability before 2.0, wasn't that obvious that lolroll would make things worse balance wise? It was obvious.

I hated cross healing before it was mainsteam. Developers like to exacerbate things already bad in the game.

Op had ridiculous survivability before 2.0, wasn't that obvious that lolroll would make things worse balance wise? It was obvious.

The roll isn't what makes them OP, it was the fact that they reduced the energy costs of the HOTs, making Kolto Pack a better heal, essentially making energy management a joke.

The roll isn't what makes them OP, it was the fact that they reduced the energy costs of the HOTs, making Kolto Pack a better heal, essentially making energy management a joke.

This. I don't even need to watch my energy bar anymore. I can't remember the last time I actually got below 60% energy.

Ya I started to "get it" when I looked at the stats after a game when killing anyone was just way too difficult. If you look at the stats, you see at least two healers doing 1200 to 1600 HPS. You need 4 or 5 DPS doing 700+ to counter this. Retarded.

If balance is defined by endless low death rates and stalemates, then it is working as intended. But a stalemate is just that, boring. And that is what you get when you have a couple of well geared healers who can keep everyone including themselves from dying.

Death is what creates a constantly changing dynamic and that is what makes the warzones fun. Healers are not there to keep the entire team alive indefinitely. They are there to balance rate of the change. OP healing means no change so you get either frustrating or fun facerolls depending on which side you are on or endless stalemates. This causes the underlying dynamic range inherent in each warzone design to be eroded and narrowed. If I were a developer I would be very concerned about this.

The big problem I assume is that this kind of HPS is needed for the new PVE modes. Sooo.... ?

Edited by Schwartz

Not necessarily because an "even" match now creates a stalemate.

Who caps the first door in Voidstar in rated WZ's anymore? The WZ is designed to be more difficult as the attacker progresses or more easily defended as the attacker penetrates the defenses. So the stalemate negates most of the WZ's intended design. Why? Guarding and Healing

Does anyone go after mid in Hypergate or do they fight over the node indefinitely? And why? Low death rate.

Matching isn't the answer. It's part of the problem in regulars yes, but I don't think its the main issue.

Had a game today where the other team had five healers. FIVE.

Talk about your kolto orgy. We fought over mid in stalemate all game, then we finally got sick of it and ganked their node guard at grass. We managed to keep both for the rest of the round, still. Hardly anyone died.

I did over 850K, and did not enjoy it. It was ridiculous. We won because they made one mistake, and tried to bring seven mid to end the stalemate, and they responded two seconds too late.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

Apparently people want healers to fall over dead at the site of a single DPS these days.

Healing, and specifically cross healing has always been the key to success in any team based PvP environment, when this became "new", or even worth posting about is beyond me.

Yes, Operative healers are not balanced at the moment for the most part, and I'm sure they will see changes in 2.4.

The biggest imbalance in healing at the moment (and since beta) are what tank/healer synergy is capable of. Guard and Taunts.

Edited by Airial

This is exactly why I keep saying BioWare needs to add warzones where an entire team of healers can't win it just by camping the objective.

Though something very funny happened while I was against a team of healers....

On a game of Voidstar we were up against a team of healers. We ninja capped one side while the healers were on the other. After we capped one side we immediately capped the bridge and moved on to the next door to find no resistance. Ironically, the healers were surviving for so long that nobody was respawning to intercept the attackers and we won in an instant. Best WZ I ever had.

I am not saying that OP healers are not overpowered at the moment, but, I have seen little evidence of it on RE lately.

That is because getting any Imp healer is a damn rare occurrence, let alone multiples.

Its not unusual to face Rep teams with 3 or 4 healers and very rare to come across a team with none though.

What the dev team can do to get healers queueing Imp side, I have no idea.

Seriously.. this is a matchmaking issue.

This. I've seen as many teams with no healers as I've seen teams with four or more. They should just let people select a role like when queuing for Flashpoints, and divide the roles as evenly as possible when generating teams. If there's an overabundance of healers queuing, then so be it, but at least you wouldn't see a team with 0-1 healer while another has 5.

Survivability has very little to do with roll - if I'm playing my Scoundrel I mainly use Scamper to get to objectives (e.g. the ball in Huttball or responding to defence calls). It's not that useful as an escape mechanism as you're almost always slowed (and often rooted). Civil War is probably an exception here, you can sometimes scamper off the node platform to "hide" while hugging the wall - elsewhere it's not really practical.

The big changes were the way Upper Hand / Tactical Advantage procs. A Scoundrel now has 7 separate ways that they can get an Upper Hand proc and if they have two stacks of UH they're difficult to kill unless you've got 2 decent DPS focusing simultaneously (who are both resolved).

Edited by DharmaPolice