PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

Lunez

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, sorry for the newb request for info, but I feel overwelmed with the knowledge that I have been reading. I have been playing PVE since the beginning (after Beta), and have just started thinking about doing PVP. I have read several threads under PVP and still have some questions:

- Would it be better to start a new toon and get it emersed in PVP from the begining (lvl10+) or bringing in a mid to higher leveled toon?

-- If I start a new toon, do I still need to do PVE, to some extent, with that toon?

--- If a new toon, is there any special gear that I need, or just what I get during the initial planet

-- If I start a mid level toon, should I limit the PVE and focus heavily on PVP

In regards to the Recruit Gear, is this for level 50s that are just starting PVP, or should a lower leveled toon purchase it as soon a level 40 is reached.

- Would it be better to start a new toon and get it emersed in PVP from the begining (lvl10+) or bringing in a mid to higher leveled toon?

You can pvp with any toon, regarless of level. If you are still new to pvp, try the character you are most comfortable with. Of course, lower level toons might have to work a little bit harder because their specs have not yet matured, i.e., you do not yet have your best moves/rotation

-- If I start a new toon, do I still need to do PVE, to some extent, with that toon?

I find that it is a bit harder to gear if you do not do PvE. But there are alternatives, like having a higher level alt send that new toon better gear or buying gear from gtn or PvP vendors.

--- If a new toon, is there any special gear that I need, or just what I get during the initial planet

Usually what you get off a planet is good enough to give you a fighting chance (just don't be rambo, fight along other players, there is strength in numbers). Again, you could always send some gear through alts.

-- If I start a mid level toon, should I limit the PVE and focus heavily on PVP

Only if you have more fun that way and if you want to bank (save) pvp commendations and valor.

In regards to the Recruit Gear, is this for level 50s that are just starting PVP, or should a lower leveled toon purchase it as soon a level 40 is reached.

Recruit gear can only be purchased by a level 50 character.

I level with a mix of PVP and PVE, and these are my thoughts and what I have learned.

while leveling in pugs, there are often few healers, which are very shy.

Its hard to look at them in before the match starts who heals, and no one talks in chat if your team don't give good results or bad results.

I'm leveling as a Tank, Vanguard. This also counts for Powertech, but I don't know the names off the mirror abilities (I'm a noob after all)

I put Guard on a seamingly deserving target, somone who looks like they are going to get a beating, or someone who looks like they are going to be healing. I change to better target later (I bound Shift+Tab to friendly target). This will redirect some damage from them to you and you get medals for this, only works within 15m proximity of the Guarded target. This requires Ion Cell. Remember to turn of Guard if you are carrying the Hut Ball, or even Guard the Hutt Ball carrier.

I have both Neural Jolt and Sonic Rond both on mouse buttons, and use them when they are not on cooldown. These are basically DPS debuffs and you get medals for the damage they reduce.

I also have Hammer Shot when clicked on scroll wheel. This is cause I use Ion Pulse (2 on action bar) as my spammable ability. But due to the way you regenerate ammo, you only want to be using ammo consuming skills while you have max >>>> on your ammo bar. I needed Hammer Shot a place where it would be compelling to use it, its still number 6 on the action bar as well. This will increase DPS as I am a tank class and spec, and need it.

I try to team up with a healer or a DPS, and guard him/her. I try to joine queue with someone that I intend to roll with in the WZ. I guard this person, stun and CC people when they attack him. Just try to be annoying. If they attack him they might kill him, but if they attack you your friend will kill them. Me and a DPS friend can sometimes take down groups ranging from 2 to 4 people alone. We try to focus fire on one person at the time.

I defend objectives a lot. You get defender points and you are built for this anyway. I AOE when people are trying to take the objective.

In Hutt Ball, I Harpoon the ball carrier, into acid or flames. Maybe even Cryo Grenade them as a combo. I also do this to persons in groups to get them out of the group so I can do a Solo Kill (own medal). With the harpoon and acid I jump out in the acid, harpoon and jump back out, facing in towards the acid. This will nearly not do damage to you, but will make them spend a relatively much longer time in the acid.

In Hutt Ball I also rely on Storm more than in other games. It's always useful, but do not leave people behind charing into a group of enemies. Use it also as a CC. In Hutt Ball its obviously used to cross obstacles. You can jump past acid, flames, or even get to the floor above you. If you are very lucky with the PUG (I always PUG thus far), you can even run with the ball down on the floor under all obsticles and Storm up the ledge and deliver the ball. This can become a viable tactic for me when I improve my skill, but for now I just use it if I get pushed down and have the chance.

Remember to pass the Hut Ball, you get medals for this. And its good for the game if you pass it to someone who are not being killed, or are much further across obstacles than you. I have this bound to a mouse button.

VIABLE FOR ALL CLASSES!!:

I have the second bar below my first bar key mapped to Shift + 1,2,3,4 and so on.

I have the skills i use most at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (my hands say stop there for power use)

and the once I use second most on Shift + 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Edited by Siggen

Okey dokey. Help me out here because I've yet to PvP in this game. I press the button, I let the timer count down and spawn...somwhere? Then what? What happens next?

Click the faction symbol beside minimap > PvP queue menu

Click "Queue Solo" ("Queue as Group"" if you are in a group with up to four friends who want to join the same warzone together).

You are now in the warzone queue, and the faction symbol you clicked should be pulsing.

After a (hopefully short) period your warzone will pop, and you will have c.1min 20s to click on the join warzone button.

You will now find yourself in a closed warzone instance. There are four maps: Alderaan Civil War, Novare Coast, Voidstar and The Pit (Huttball). Each has a different victory requirement, described as you enter.

Pretty simple and you've probably already worked it out. Have fun.

Edited by Wainamoinen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
taunt in pvp??? thought it was useless

Next time you see a smash jug/gaurdian you know who does a lot of DMG. Go taunt him the whole game. Watch how he will suddenly start ccing u and trying to kill u. That will prove it to you

Or just read the debuff, lol

• 3 weeks later...

Don't get discouraged when you die a bunch of times, because it's expected to die over and over and over again until you've earned the gear, skill, and prestige to become one of the elite. I know, it sounds silly, it might even sound ridiculous, but its true. You need to fail before you can succeed. The PvP mechanics in this game are incredibly fair, competitive, and accessible. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Wow.. just wow. You "need" to fail? It's not possible that someone who is a skilled player, veteran pvper from other MMOs should have any chance for success until they waste hundreds of hours to get geared max?

Also, where is the prestige in SWtOR pvp? Being in a winning Rep warzone or being one of the thousands of winning Imperial warzones where they don't have to try because the Republic have learned not to?

I would *love* to see you take the time you spent writing this guide on a write up of the things Bioware have done wrong with warzone class balancing. That would have been time well spent -- not "you need to fail over and over in order to suceed". That's just tripe.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow.. just wow. You "need" to fail? It's not possible that someone who is a skilled player, veteran pvper from other MMOs should have any chance for success until they waste hundreds of hours to get geared max?

I lol'ed ! you can get a pvp char full 61 in on week just with 2-3 wins per day and doing the daily - and now you can also transfering pvp stuff to alts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Your goal from level 11-49 is primarily to learn how to navigate the maps and how to successfully complete game-winning mission objectives.

Should be corrected into :

Your goal from level 11-49 is primarily to learn how to navigate the maps and how to successfully complete game-winning mission objectives and be overrun.

Also, where is the prestige in SWtOR pvp? Being in a winning Rep warzone or being one of the thousands of winning Imperial warzones where they don't have to try because the Republic have learned not to?

I would *love* to see you take the time you spent writing this guide on a write up of the things Bioware have done wrong with warzone class balancing. That would have been time well spent -- not "you need to fail over and over in order to suceed". That's just tripe.

"This is not the thread you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along."

If you don't want a guide for people new to pvp, why did you read this? This is actually good info for people not 'expert' (ahem) in other MMO PVP. And please, tell us all what better things we can do with our time, in order to better serve YOU.

Side note: One nearly always learns more from failure than from success. You will find that 'losing' does not make one a 'loser'. If you learn why these 2 things are important, you may go far.

you will also find PvP'ers with good gear who are willing to help you gather gear, or more importantly, join you in some Warzones to team up against your enemies.

Good luck finding one with a vocabulary that extends further than "L2P Nubtard" and various other insults.

All the PvPers I have asked for help have been less than forthcoming with advice and some actually gave me deliberately bad advice. (possibly so I would be an easier target in future.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, I've been away from the game a long while but now I'm back! I must admit that I'm a bit taken back by all the jerk bags that have commented on this thread for no other reason than to troll some lame out dated comment about how cool they are but then again, this is the internet, lol.

That said, a lot has changed since last I played and much of the original thread is no longer valid. I'm writing to you all that a rehaul is coming and a brand new pvp guide is on the way. Ignore the haters and look out for the next edition of How to Become a Contender coming soon!