Is PVP'ing a "good" way to level up?

FrostTrooper

As the title asks, does pvp'ing give enough xp to be a good way of leveling? I just made level 10 and I'm considering that as a alternate way of leveling since I've run through the planets and even this class story before (I'm running a Jugg now and have a Mara).

I'm not looking for a power leveling option, I'm just asking if pvp'ing would be as "fast" as just going through the class and planet story missions.

I plan on doing my class missions in addition to PvP'ing, but I was thinking about out leveling them so I can blow through them quickly, and easily. What about gear? Do I just convert battle coms into planet coms and get it that way?

As far as mechanics go. I do plan on being a tank, and around lvl 30 or so I will start doing FPs to learn how to tank.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

I plan on doing my class missions in addition to PvP'ing, but I was thinking about out leveling them so I can blow through them quickly, and easily. What about gear? Do I just convert battle coms into planet coms and get it that way?

As far as mechanics go. I do plan on being a tank, and around lvl 30 or so I will start doing FPs to learn how to tank.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

PvP levels faster and earns comms faster, especially if you're doing your class missions and space daily's concurrently. Howver you'll find yourself in a situation where the gear you improve won't make a difference in pvp so it's kind of pointless. I tended to update the pieces on my adaptive armor every 10 levels or so, and didn't bother with >50 relics or imps, and had no problem whatsoever.

I have been in the same position as you OP, i only did class quests and PVP' ed till i hit the valor cap, which is your level, when that happened i just ran FPs, as a jugg yourself, you should get pretty fast queues with tank role. It is a fun way, but can be really frustrating in low levels as your beloved teammates are just horrible, just try not to rage alot and let it go.

Is PVP'ing a "good" way to level up?

No, it is not. "Epic slow" is how I would describe it. After having leveled several characters, I PVE only because it levels about 2-3 times faster than pvp. During the last double XP weekend, with an XP boost and some legacy perks, I could gain about 1 level per hour (at lvl 30+) doing PVE. Doing exclusively pvp, under the same conditions (double XP weekend + xp boost + legacy WZ XP perks at same level), it took me 2.5 or 3 hours to gain a single level. Without double XP, you may have to grind 6+ hours to gain a single level via pvp.

No, it is not. "Epic slow" is how I would describe it. After having leveled several characters, I PVE only because it levels about 2-3 times faster than pvp. During the last double XP weekend, with an XP boost and some legacy perks, I could gain about 1 level per hour (at lvl 30+) doing PVE. Doing exclusively pvp, under the same conditions (double XP weekend + xp boost + legacy WZ XP perks at same level), it took me 2.5 or 3 hours to gain a single level. Without double XP, you may have to grind 6+ hours to gain a single level via pvp.

did u buy all the character perks that boost your xp gain in warzones?

use them and buying the pvp xp boost things from the gtn will help.

As the title asks, does pvp'ing give enough xp to be a good way of leveling? I just made level 10 and I'm considering that as a alternate way of leveling since I've run through the planets and even this class story before (I'm running a Jugg now and have a Mara).

I'm not looking for a power leveling option, I'm just asking if pvp'ing would be as "fast" as just going through the class and planet story missions.

As long as you stay in constant WZ queue while doing your class story, and pick up your daily and weekly pvp missions, you shouldn't have a problem. I got my GS to lvl 53 before I finished my class story. You'll also want to do your daily and weekly FP missions also for the extra XP. Find some good Orange Gear, and use WZ comms to buy Planet comms. I usually rotate buying mods/enhancements, and armoring every other odd level, and you can usually pick up green gear for your companion pretty cheap off the GTN to get through the story.

With double xp weekends and the boosts WZ leveling was good but when you get higher levels it takes a lot of WZs to get a level in the 50s. I would say its slower accounting for time in queue and such. Now if you PvE and PvP, class quests and FPs while keeping your valor maxed that is probably the quickest way while PvPing. But standing on the fleet and queueing it is slower there cant be much doubt about that.

doing missions will always be faster levelling that PVP. because you are getting XP all the time, with every kill. PVP only gives you XP once every 15 mins (roughly) and whenever you turn in quests (8 per week).

Its definitely worthwhile completing your daily and weekly pvp quests, but wouldn't call pvp levelling "fast" by any means at all

At lower levels (under 25) just WZ queue chaining will level you faster than questing. 25-35 they kind of start to balance out. 35+ PvE starts to bring in the exp faster than PvP queues. Your mileage may vary. Personally I can't quest grind anymore on my alts. It's just tedious to me. I do the class storyline, maybe a few quest lines per planet, and then move on. I will just find a place to grind mobs over and over instead of questing if I want to level but am not in a WZ mood.

PvP is hands down THE best way to learn the ins and outs of your class. I never PvP'd on my Sentinel when I leveled him and I cannot for the life of me play him as well as I should in PvP. I plan to level a Mara through PvP to learn. All my other classes: Class Quests + PvP. Its easier to adjust to a PvE setting from PvP than vice versa, IMO.

• 1 month later...
I have all the legacy exp perks (WZs, Flashpoints, Class quests etc...) and keep a constant overall (+25%) exp item active. Combine that with the 10% from a guild and you are set on bonuses. With those bonuses I just stay qued for pvp while doing only class mission quests and main planetary story line. I find I level much faster and am usually a good 4 levels or so above the quests I am doing. So to answer your question a good mix of pvp is fine for leveling.

Bad, bad idea. Experience in PVP adjusts to your level and you will level up fast no question about it. The problem is that the class and planet level quests are fixed and if you are seven levels over the fixed level you get no experience points from battles and seven experience points from all other quests. I know it sounds like fun being overleved for your class and planet missions but take it from me it gets very old very quick and worse you still have to do the quests. Plus it will delay getting all of your companions so even though you will be able to deploy more crew members as you level them up in crafting you won't actually have those crew members in your roster.

Don't get me wrong I love PVP but I limit myself to the dailes and the weekly so I can try to stay within the seven level cap for my class.

:Update: I also do flashpoints so that contributes to my having trouble staying within the 7 level cap so my experience might not be equal to yours.

Edited by Lecaja

PVP is good for some things. Leveling fast, with just PVP and class quests, is not one of them. However, the slow leveling is balanced out, IMO, by the credits you get for each match. Most of the time, I'm level 11 by the time I'm on the fleet, and even if I spend most of my time for the first several matches playing guard or dying a whole lot, I get anywhere between 500 to 1000 credits per match. Once you get up to like Level 15 or 16, its been a rare match (for me at least) where you're not getting at least 2000 credits.

PVP is not for a fast leveler. But it gives you a lot of practice with practicing with your key bindings and what powers work best and what rotation. When I first began the game with a Jedi character, I went through 3 or 4 and got frustrated because Kira's "brother" kept kicking my *** or I would just barely beat him. Now, after PVPing a lot, when I come to that type of character, its rare that I even have to let myself die and bring in T7.

So if you're looking for a lot of creds and practice with a team, along with getting a crash course in using your keybound powers and what rotation is best, than yes, PVP is a "good" way to level up. But if you're looking for power-leveling, then do what others have suggested. Do your regular PVE content and the Dailies.

No pvp is not a "good way" to level up. At most winning a warzone which can take up to 30-40 minutes with the wait in que and the actual wz itself AT MOST rewards xp equal to one normal quest with about half the creds and no gear. Grinding questlines on planets is by far the quickest way....spend 2-3 hours on a planet and overlevel the planet. I have a 55 mar 55 shadow 55 slinger and working on a 55 sorc atm. I've been through the fire leveling and trust me it is much easier and faster to level through pve. I do admit pvping occasionally and doing the occasional FP is a way to break the boringness of leveling, however quest quest quest. They're much faster and usually all are right next to storylines if not right along side them. Do your quests enjoy your story leave pvp for endgame.

did u buy all the character perks that boost your xp gain in warzones?

use them and buying the pvp xp boost things from the gtn will help.

This.

Until you hit 25, run FPs to get modable gear and creds. This allows you to get the much-revered Legacy and possibly guild XP boosts up to scratch. (I make sure to always join or create a guild and bring it up to 10% XP boost by recruiting). If the FP gear isn't good for you, sell it to other players and make a motherload of money.

Until 25, any day in PvP is "A good day to die" :p

At lvl 30 (later parts of nar shaddaa), I started doing only pvp quests and all available space missions. I was only online for a couple of hours per day due to work but I got my xp bar moving to almost 20-30% every time. I hit lvl 50 on belsavis then worked on the remainder of the story with an augmented War Hero gear + healer companion in recruit mk2. You'll feel like an invulnerable Jedi all the way!

When I got the digital expansion last sunday, I did 2 warzone dailies, all available space missions at that point, plus section x, black hole, and belsavis dailies. I didn't even bother with Illum dailies and I hit lvl 55 in less than 10 hours ( 5 hours sunday, 5 hours the next.

Another advantage of mainly PvPing to level is the insane amount of rest bonus you get so if you want to switch back to pve just don that lvl 20/40 suit you can buy at coruscant/dromund kaas and do quests that are around your level.

I've leveled multiple characters through both.

With all the legacy unlocks, leveling through doing the on rails questing is much faster. PVP is simply too unreliable at times. One of my characters I leveled completely through pvp would occasionally lose 6-7 sometimes or more games in a row. Not to mention if you aren't playing during peak hours, the queue time is going to be forever.

It usually takes an entire extra day of in-game playtime to hit level cap on a pvp character, compared to my normal ones. Not a big deal if you aren't in a hurry to hit 55, if it is, then just grind out those boring as hell quests.

• 1 year later...

Nothing beats x12 experience from story missions. That being said, once that runs out, pvp is excellent xp in bursts when doing dailies and I highly recommend it.

But aside from that, pvp is a really fun way to escape the mindless story grind of "the less desirable" story lines some classes have. So if you dont like the story content on your currect character, escape by queing for pvp while you are questing to change things up!