Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

I wouldn't be surprised if the writers were told "work as if you're writing for men", on the assumption from management that only "traditional" Straight Male Gamers would be playing this game and everyone is incidental/vicarious.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we know that PCs in SW games have a canonical gender. It could very well be that 7 out of 8 have been fleshed out as males, and one female, who was later changed because it might upset a male audience, the (Man)Agent got a Slim Jim.

Actually, my male agent had several opportunities to flirt with Hunter before she was revealed as female. They weren't labeled as flirts but that was definitely their tone. And Hunter showed interest as well, so having the kiss at the end didn't come out of nowhere. It would have been nicer if you could express it directly before the big reveal, but its not "She's a woman, now kiss."

@fabiyun: is it Thanaton you're referring to as the effeminate antagonist? He never really came off as particularly femme to me.

Actually, my male agent had several opportunities to flirt with Hunter before she was revealed as female. They weren't labeled as flirts but that was definitely their tone. And Hunter showed interest as well, so having the kiss at the end didn't come out of nowhere. It would have been nicer if you could express it directly before the big reveal, but its not "She's a woman, now kiss."

It really seemed that way to me, particularly when put into the wider context of the game.

Yeah, i guess in the context of other things it could have unfortunate implications. I was just taking issue with the statement that there was no indication of anything between them before that.

Oh, other people's interpretations have stated that there's a lot of homoerotic subtext, hence one of my earlier "no hom(o)" comments in, you know... Chapter 3...

Edited by Tatile

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. If there's subtext between them then the kiss at the end doesn't come out of nowhere, regardless of whether Hunter was male or female when there was subtext.

Yes, true, there was subtext (I probably just missed it in my all consuming hate for Hunter), but with there being homoerotic subtext (because, until the reveal, it is assumed Hunter is male), making Hunter "magically" female, is essentially pulling the "no hom(o)", and going "It's ok Straight Male Gamer! This man you've been subtly flirting with is actually a woman! Your heterosexuality is intact."

I don't see it that way. Like you said, its easy to play through without flirting at all, and you don't miss anything important by not picking the flirty lines. If they were worried about making straight men uncomfortable it would make much more sense to just remove the flirt lines rather than turning the entire character female at the last minute. I think it's more likely that Hunter was female first, and then those lines were put in so that the opportunity to kiss her didn't come out of nowhere. And I think it does make sense for that option to be there, as Hunter is supposed to be sort of a mirror of the agent and she has an entire act dedicated to chasing her and possibly agreeing with her. It makes sense for there to be romantic feelings as an option.

The writer of the agent story said that Hunter was supposed to be what the agent could become if they're not careful, I believe.

That doesn't stop "Hunter" being a constructed personality, though. From what I understand, "She" and "Hunter" are distinct in as much as "She" refers to "Hunter" as a separate entity.

Yes, he was referring to the female version of Hunter and the fact that she lives her entire life as a persons.

Right ok, I get you.

That still doesn't change how the "big reveal" can come off, and how the end decisions look in wider context, nor does it have any baring on whether or not the classes were written with male protagonists in mind.

Alexander Free...man? >.> is a pretty good writer, I still like the Agent storyline and regard it as one of the better stories, however Fabiyun and I were talking about the culture down at Bioware: Austin, which, as we've seen, is very heteronormative and fairly male centric (female companions, Corso, etc.)

I think we two ended doing our usual thing of using words that mean one thing to use, but different thing to the other, and getting our meanings confused and then we ended up talking in circles.

Haha, it appears I have an accidental talent for talking in circles :)

I actually agree with a lot of what you say about the game, just to a bit of a lesser degree.

That's fair - a lot of it is conjecture based on what's in the game and how the rest of the industry works, and also the idea that EA brought in a lot of people who weren't "Bioware stock" to work on the project, and so there's a different culture there, to other Bioware games.

David Gaider also recently spoke about what it's like to write for video games, also specifically in this style, so there's going to be management and developers poking around in what the writers were doing/are doing currently, so if the management were your typical "every gamer is a Straight Male Gamer" (and we know this is true, due to how SGRA content was treated prior to launch), then making the game male-centric and hetero-centric is a given.

On topic,

I wouldn't mind if there were an option in character creation (and on the change appearance terminals) to activate Hetero/****/Bisexual content, and it would be fairly easy to code (fast maybe not so much) just the game remembers the choices you made on the the button and uses that to determine your romance (FLIRT) options instead of just your gender. OK they might have to fix some Pronouns but there must be a division in the story content of what is for males and for females.

On topic,

I wouldn't mind if there were an option in character creation (and on the change appearance terminals) to activate Hetero/****/Bisexual content, and it would be fairly easy to code (fast maybe not so much) just the game remembers the choices you made on the the button and uses that to determine your romance (FLIRT) options instead of just your gender. OK they might have to fix some Pronouns but there must be a division in the story content of what is for males and for females.

It's been brought up before, but Bioware said that they aren't going to be doing something like this because it would be discrimination.

It's been brought up before, but Bioware said that they aren't going to be doing something like this because it would be discrimination.

Well that's just like how allowing same sex marriages is discrimination. See, if everyone is allowed to get married regardless of gender it makes it that much less special, which is discrimination against those who are no longer special because other people are allowed the same thing without being just like them. Duh.

Well that's just like how allowing same sex marriages is discrimination. See, if everyone is allowed to get married regardless of gender it makes it that much less special, which is discrimination against those who are no longer special because other people are allowed the same thing without being just like them. Duh.

See, that's because there's only a finite amount of rights to go around. If the Algaebitques start taking some, there won't be as much left for everyone else. Quite selfish of them, really.

So I've been away from this for about a year, I don't suppose there has been any real progress made in the game yet concerning this to convince me to come back.

Not unless you count the Makeb "here's five levels of vague [Flirt]ing, but at the end of it, they die and never come back at all ever" to be a romance.

No, Bioware haven't really made any progress at all. We've got maybe one other instance if gay-male [Flirt]ing and (extremely unsurprisingly) all the so-called "lesbians" are actually bisexual. Strangely, there are far more instances of bisexual female NPCs.

Gosh. I wonder why :rolleyes:

Don't forget, you can hit on a smattering of people during the Macrobinocular stuff. That goes even further into Nowhere.

They're all women, aren't they?

(I don't have a Pub character who's done those quests, but Imp side was all ladies.)

And before anyone comes in and accuses me of... god, I don't know... not being nice to cishet men again? I don't have a problem with female characters or NPCs in this game, I have a problem with Bioware: Austin's incessant need to make a) every woman a romance or porking option for male NPCs and b) excusing their SGR content with "let's make the ladies bi so that the dear Straight Male Gamer doesn't feel left out"

Particularly after Mr. Musco said they would work ever so hard to make sure that future content is equal :rolleyes:

Yeah bollocks.

(Holy crap, bollocks isn't censored. I love British swearing, Americans seem to have no idea what's going on. Does ****** work? Minge?)

Oh my god. Minge got through D: What the hell Bioware?

Edited by Tatile