Bioware Devs: Guild Functions need improvement

OrionSol

I agree with the stated improvements, one thing I would like to add though. Please make it so that all characters from the same account are rolled up into one. I'm not saying that all characters should be automatically invited, you should still be able to join and leave guilds on a per-character basis, but all characters from an account that share a guild should be counted and listed as one person. This could be done by showing the Legacy name along side the currently (or most recently) logged in character. To see all of that player's characters just allow us to expand and collapse their name in the list.

This would server a couple functions, the first being that it cuts down on used guild slots. One person would only take up one slot, instead of the 22 slots they could possibly take up now, freeing up that space for new members. My guild had to choose between limiting alts and forming a sub-guild just for alts. We ended up capping characters to 4 per faction, to save the headache of having to manage another guild. The second is that it would make roster management much simpler. You no longer have to worry about labeling players' alts just to keep track of who's who. We've developed a workable solution but it requires that our officers are vigilant about member notes, and even so some associations fall through the cracks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the stated improvements, one thing I would like to add though. Please make it so that all characters from the same account are rolled up into one. I'm not saying that all characters should be automatically invited, you should still be able to join and leave guilds on a per-character basis, but all characters from an account that share a guild should be counted and listed as one person. This could be done by showing the Legacy name along side the currently (or most recently) logged in character. To see all of that player's characters just allow us to expand and collapse their name in the list.

This would server a couple functions, the first being that it cuts down on used guild slots. One person would only take up one slot, instead of the 22 slots they could possibly take up now, freeing up that space for new members. My guild had to choose between limiting alts and forming a sub-guild just for alts. We ended up capping characters to 4 per faction, to save the headache of having to manage another guild. The second is that it would make roster management much simpler. You no longer have to worry about labeling players' alts just to keep track of who's who. We've developed a workable solution but it requires that our officers are vigilant about member notes, and even so some associations fall through the cracks.

VERY Interesting - I like that idea alot

Whoa - I just came back from the future, SUH!

People who are playing toons across multiple factions (Yeah, that's right, there's 'Pub, 'Imp, Hutt, AND Ugly by the great year of our Gungan Lord 2015) have a *shared* cross-faction chat.

I am hea' to inform you that by our such great time that not only are there no longer bugs in any portion of the game, but also that SGRA's, non-RP'ers, and also moon-habiters *ALL* share common rights and respectability in this hea' game, suh!

Whilst there remaineth those who wouldeth oppose equal rights for our fellow gamers, time moves along at its own pace of development; no one can preventeth the forward-march of our great online societeh!

Be theah any disseneth, let it be spoken of hea', or let this issue be foreveh laid to rest, herein!

Whoa - I just came back from the future, SUH!

People who are playing toons across multiple factions (Yeah, that's right, there's 'Pub, 'Imp, Hutt, AND Ugly by the great year of our Gungan Lord 2015) have a *shared* cross-faction chat.

I am hea' to inform you that by our such great time that not only are there no longer bugs in any portion of the game, but also that SGRA's, non-RP'ers, and also moon-habiters *ALL* share common rights and respectability in this hea' game, suh!

Whilst there remaineth those who wouldeth oppose equal rights for our fellow gamers, time moves along at its own pace of development; no one can preventeth the forward-march of our great online societeh!

Be theah any disseneth, let it be spoken of hea', or let this issue be foreveh laid to rest, herein!

Awesome posteth

I mean for guilds

Cross link your republic and Sith branch to share a common guild chat

Twice Bioware have hired people to look after guilds, twice they made a big fuss in a post, and twice they have vanished with out trace.

I would take this a step further.

Cross faction FP's and Operations. Most of the FP's and all the Operations are a common threat. One of the first SWTOR novels based on this game called, "Fatal Alliance" told the story of both factions working together.

I believe Hoth has a quest line where the Republic and Empire unite for a common threat.

This would also create incentive for players to roll more characters,explore, and play the opposite factions. This would increase longevity of the game.

This concept would most likely be an MMO first. Something the other guys don't have yet.

I would take this a step further.

Cross faction FP's and Operations. Most of the FP's and all the Operations are a common threat. One of the first SWTOR novels based on this game called, "Fatal Alliance" told the story of both factions working together.

I believe Hoth has a quest line where the Republic and Empire unite for a common threat.

This would also create incentive for players to roll more characters,explore, and play the opposite factions. This would increase longevity of the game.

This concept would most likely be an MMO first. Something the other guys don't have yet.

City of Heroes (RIP) had all of this. Cross-faction private chat channels, global friends lists/chat (friend the player, not the character), instances and raids where both factions met to work in the same team. In fact, from the Going Rogue expansion onwards my Hero could run a quest line to become a Vigilante, then a Villain. Villains could do the same, turning Rogue and then Hero.

This game is sorely lacking in community features in comparison. Our guild is small but has both Imperial and Republic chapters. Being able to communicate with guildies no matter which side they are currently playing is something I sorely miss from CoH.

City of Heroes (RIP) had all of this. Cross-faction private chat channels, global friends lists/chat (friend the player, not the character), instances and raids where both factions met to work in the same team. In fact, from the Going Rogue expansion onwards my Hero could run a quest line to become a Vigilante, then a Villain. Villains could do the same, turning Rogue and then Hero.

This game is sorely lacking in community features in comparison. Our guild is small but has both Imperial and Republic chapters. Being able to communicate with guildies no matter which side they are currently playing is something I sorely miss from CoH.

SWG had in game voice, that when you even just joined a group, if would make a voice chat channel

The guild mail system needs to be very much installed, it is a complete headache organizing guild events, without having a guild wide mail. Now swg was several years old, and they had it, for a newer game like swtor this should be a cake walk request to get done. As far as the fears, that I have read on these forums, about mail spamming. I already get mail spammed by people trying to sell me in game credits for RL money. For your information I put said people on my ignore list and report them. So its not like this would cause any new problems.

Yes, this is the biggest barrier to guild wide communication, hardly anyone ever reads the MOTD

They've known about our wishes, and they've talked about them as well. Seems they are on the back burner for now. Maybe some of them will be put in place for Makeb? You can only hope.

I would add guild progression in there as well. And an interface to organize and keep your guild connected via a website that is linked to the in game guild. For instance, you would log into the website, send an mass email and everyone in your guild. Adjust roles, make alliances ect. I'm really surprised how localized MMO's still are, and how they haven't tried to give more access to people all the time, especially when they are not at their home computer.

Oh yeah, and a guild calendar.

Edited by Alavastre

I agree and would like to add another thing that needs to be implemented.

A guild log.

As a former guild leader and current officer, I like to keep tabs on you comes and goes in my guilds. It is really frustrating to log on one day, see your guild member count down a number or two and unless you have an extremely small guild you dont know who left.

As someone (a dedicated crafter on Jung Ma) who is not in a guild yet, I would very much like to see some "guild info" area where I could read up on various guilds, members, goals, etc. I always reject guild spammers because I'd like to know what I'm joining before I get into one. Having not been in a guild, I'm amazed that many of the things in the OP aren't in the game. I hope they get in, because they sound like great ideas.

Really I want is a bigger guild membership cap. Everyone in my guild has at least 2 50s (well almost everyone). We keep having to kick people who haven't logged in 45 days because otherwise we're too close to cap.

They need to double the cap imo.

Edited by AshlaBoga

I agree and would like to add another thing that needs to be implemented.

A guild log.

As a former guild leader and current officer, I like to keep tabs on you comes and goes in my guilds. It is really frustrating to log on one day, see your guild member count down a number or two and unless you have an extremely small guild you dont know who left.

Yeah, IDK why this isn't a thing. It should be.

I'd also like it if you could repair with both guild repairs and your own funds at the same time. When we had repair on officers would put in like 15k for the week per person and if your gear was fairly damaged (not even yellow, iirc), that wouldn't cover the cost, or you'd repair and have like 2-3k left for repairs for the week and you'd never get to use it, which was infuriating.

WoW let you repair from guild funds then take the remainder from your gold, why can't SWTOR do that?

Edited by Beslley

• 1 year later...

Just thought to bump this thread because so many of these ideas are requested time and again - and while some measure of them have been implemented in the past 2 years, there's still so many good ideas, in here.

EDIT: I'm glad my trip back in time to 2013 from this year proved me right; We got our Hutt faction with the Cartel expansion, and we got an Ugly faction when the Massassi came along. I had TOLD you all, so! And everyone was worried I was about to Terminator-skew the whole SWTOR timeline....

Edited by Ahl-Vinn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...