Your game is crashing my internet

SebastiaanZ

Seriously ... everything works fine even other games ... I start SWTOR, the internet instantly crashes. That cannot be conincidence.

What are you going to do about this Bioware?

I recommend contacting your ISP and finding out if there are any issues rather than complaining that SWTOR is crashing your internet. You also might want to troubleshoot your rig to see what's going on in your event viewer to see if it's a problem with your connection or your NIC.

Seriously ... everything works fine even other games ... I start SWTOR, the internet instantly crashes. That cannot be conincidence.

What are you going to do about this Bioware?

I would suggest the tech forums or trying to repair if thats an option or maybe a fresh install as something might be corrupted.

I had a problem where I would be playing the game and occasionally my internet would crash. I rest my network card and then updated the network card driver and I haven't had a problem since.

Yep.. sounds like the network adapter in his PC has some sort of issue and may need a driver update. This is not uncommon now days.. and it is common that only certain applications will cause the crash, and not others.

I had an issue last year where my Edge browser on one of our PCs would crash either the network or the entire PC at random times just browsing the internet. As long as I left the Edge router alone and unused... no issues. About 3 weeks later... the computer manufacturer pushed out a new driver for both wired and wireless adapters and poof.. no more issues with Edge.

OP.. you are going to have to some troubleshooting on your end to localize the problem (which does appear to be some squirrely dependency in your network drivers as a prime starting point). You cannot just lay out a vague thread like this and demand the studio fix it for you. First.. localize the problem.. and I would start by checking to see if you have the latest network drivers on your PC AND the latest firmware on your router. Until you localize the problem, and actually learn what is the culprit... it's not going to get fixed.

Edited by Andryah

Until you localize the problem, and actually learn what is the culprit... it's not going to get fixed.

This.. I see this is so many games where people stomp to the forums screaming..' I'm having computer problems and you need to fix it xyz company and it is all your fault' but they have no clue what is causing it.. They use arguments of 'I'm not having problems in any other games' etc et al. But in reality they've done nothing to prove/support the claim.

Sorry if you're not techie people.. If you want to play techie games you're going to have to learn a modicum about the internet.

@OP: If even launching SWTOR is giving your router issues, there's an easy fix; don't play. You can already see what the community is like from this thread. If no other game gives you problems, then play literally any other game. You'd be doing yourself a favor.

I recommend contacting your ISP and finding out if there are any issues rather than complaining that SWTOR is crashing your internet. You also might want to troubleshoot your rig to see what's going on in your event viewer to see if it's a problem with your connection or your NIC.
Why stop there? The guy should obviously go ahead and get a bachelor's or higher in networking. Edited by Ansultares

I've been having issues too, with lag spikes that boot me out of the game more often than not- this has been happening over the past few days, and I've seen other posts about it so it's not a solitary case.

However I don't think there's anything any of us can do about it even if we do manage to isolate the problem. In all my years of playing online games, issues with lag are usually attributable to an outside source that's impossible for you to personally fix. Most often the only cure is time- it's likely that there is some issue somewhere along the line (Texas has been having a bad time lately, which could likely be a contributing factor) and it will eventually get noticed and fixed when the time is right.

If it was your internet alone it wouldn't be a problem isolated to SWTOR, and if it was the game itself, I doubt server lag would be the only issue.

While it's frustrating, I think the most productive thing one can do is practice their patience, or submit a ticket with all of the necessary information.

I've been having issues too, with lag spikes that boot me out of the game more often than not- this has been happening over the past few days, and I've seen other posts about it so it's not a solitary case.

However I don't think there's anything any of us can do about it even if we do manage to isolate the problem. In all my years of playing online games, issues with lag are usually attributable to an outside source that's impossible for you to personally fix. Most often the only cure is time- it's likely that there is some issue somewhere along the line (Texas has been having a bad time lately, which could likely be a contributing factor) and it will eventually get noticed and fixed when the time is right.

If it was your internet alone it wouldn't be a problem isolated to SWTOR, and if it was the game itself, I doubt server lag would be the only issue.

While it's frustrating, I think the most productive thing one can do is practice their patience, or submit a ticket with all of the necessary information.

Completely unrelated to the OP's issues. Did you even read his 1 1/2 sentence rant? He said nothing about lag or lag spikes. He said the game crashes his internet!

No SWTOR is crashing my internet period. Cause its only SWTOR and no other application. Even took down all running applications and processes, didn't change ****. So its SWTOR.

I've experienced this, no problems with my Internet connection until I play SWTOR. Then, my Internet disconnects while SWTOR is up, and only when SWTOR is up. The first time it happened, I spent many hours on the telephone with a SWTOR tech person, and a tech person from my ISP. Both techs were very knowledgeable and very nice. Everything was checked by both techs (they talked me through the stuff on my end). Final diagnosis from both techs: nothing was wrong on SWTOR's end, nothing was wrong on the ISP end, and nothing was wrong with my computer.

I still experience SWTOR, and only SWTOR, crashing my Internet connection. It happens after my ISP goes down -- weather issues or technical issues from the ISP. Once my Internet connection returns, I have no problems except with SWTOR. It usually takes two to four days before SWTOR stops crashing my Internet connection. Something resetting somewhere? Sorry, I don't have the tech knowledge. I stopped calling SWTOR and my ISP when SWTOR crashes my Internet connection because the end result is always the response, "we don't see a problem" from SWTOR and my ISP.

I've experienced this, no problems with my Internet connection until I play SWTOR. Then, my Internet disconnects while SWTOR is up, and only when SWTOR is up. The first time it happened, I spent many hours on the telephone with a SWTOR tech person, and a tech person from my ISP. Both techs were very knowledgeable and very nice. Everything was checked by both techs (they talked me through the stuff on my end). Final diagnosis from both techs: nothing was wrong on SWTOR's end, nothing was wrong on the ISP end, and nothing was wrong with my computer.

I still experience SWTOR, and only SWTOR, crashing my Internet connection. It happens after my ISP goes down -- weather issues or technical issues from the ISP. Once my Internet connection returns, I have no problems except with SWTOR. It usually takes two to four days before SWTOR stops crashing my Internet connection. Something resetting somewhere? Sorry, I don't have the tech knowledge. I stopped calling SWTOR and my ISP when SWTOR crashes my Internet connection because the end result is always the response, "we don't see a problem" from SWTOR and my ISP.

Did any of those tech guys ever have you try to recreate the issue while they were checking everything? I ask cause there can be certain issues that they will not see until the problem actually happens. Sounds like a curious issue. If it were a SWTOR only problem then it would be a more common occurrence.

Did they have you check between your ISP and the SWTOR servers.. Because 99% of the time that is where the issue is.

Did any of those tech guys ever have you try to recreate the issue while they were checking everything? I ask cause there can be certain issues that they will not see until the problem actually happens. Sounds like a curious issue. If it were a SWTOR only problem then it would be a more common occurrence.

Did they have you check between your ISP and the SWTOR servers.. Because 99% of the time that is where the issue is.

We did try to recreate the problem. I think we were able to recreate the disconnect, although there was no explanation for why it was happening. I'm not tech savvy, and don't remember the tech speak of the conversations. I remember there were pings and tracerts, and checking to be sure my computer was up-to-date on drivers, and I think some other stuff. I called about the situation twice, although it consistently happens whenever my Internet connection goes down. I stopped calling SWTOR and my ISP's tech when it happens because the calls usually took two+ hours and emails with pings and tracerts, and ended with no specific cause being found. Now when my ISP goes down (weather knocks out power -- life in tornado alley, or tech issues on my ISP's end), I just wait a couple a days or so, and the SWTOR only disconnecting me from the Internet problem stops.

Edited by Nmyownworld

No SWTOR is crashing my internet period. Cause its only SWTOR and no other application. Even took down all running applications and processes, didn't change ****. So its SWTOR.

Can you confirm this is the PCs network adapter or the router/modem ?

Did this just start occurring on this PC and was fine previously ?

If it is the network adapter can you test another or even if possible switch between 2.4GHz and the 5 GHz bands and see if it persists