Here's the problem with making Treek available through the Cartel Market...

Machine-Elf

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? :confused:

A "sense of achievement" is a subjective concept not everyone answering this thread shares, clearly.

Case in point: if I wanted a sense of achievement, I'd be building a house for impoverished people in a third world country and not playing a video game.

Edited by SkunkWerks

It's boring. There's virtually zero sense of achievement to be gained from a Cartel Market purchase. Personally, I'll be grinding my way to Legacy Level 40 (I'm a meager 10) and one million credits requirement, not because I don't have the disposable income to buy her, but simply because it's more FUN!

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this sentiment. And if other impulse buyers (which I have no qualms in admitting to being) like me are starting to think along the same lines, then BioWare should be exceedingly worried.

I guess my overriding criticism of -- not just Treek, but the Cartel Market in general -- is that it's beginning to feel like cheating. It's as if the more achievement-based free-to-play model (unlock ____ item for ____ amount after reaching Legacy Level _____) is the correct way of playing the game, and the subscription model a cheap Game Genie alternative.

You just said using CM was boring and then 2 sentences later said you were going to grind LL 40 and 1M credits because... wait for it... GRINDING IS FUN!

Really? When did grinding become fun? Mind numbing, sure, and I guess if your mind needs numbing that could be beneficial. But FUN? More fun than sticking hot needles in one's eyes, but significantly less fun than anything else you can do in the game.

How about looking at it differently? This offers people a choice. Those who aren't LL 40 or don't have 1M credits can use CC's. Those who have LL 40 and 1M credits don't need to use CC's. Different approaches for different play styles. Win-win.

You just said using CM was boring and then 2 sentences later said you were going to grind LL 40 and 1M credits because... wait for it... GRINDING IS FUN!

Really? When did grinding become fun? Mind numbing, sure, and I guess if your mind needs numbing that could be beneficial. But FUN? More fun than sticking hot needles in one's eyes, but significantly less fun than anything else you can do in the game.

How about looking at it differently? This offers people a choice. Those who aren't LL 40 or don't have 1M credits can use CC's. Those who have LL 40 and 1M credits don't need to use CC's. Different approaches for different play styles. Win-win.

This is the problem most people have understanding about this whole ordeal.

A "sense of achievement" is a subjective concept not everyone answering this thread shares, clearly.

Case in point: if I wanted a sense of achievement, I'd be building a house for impoverished people in a third world country and not playing a video game.

right on the money.

I would have much preferred it if Treek was introduced via a long solo story quest rather then via Legacy or CM. As it is, I am fine with her being added both CM and Legacy instead. It gives players a choice, and in the end she is an optional companion who offers no real benefit over any other. If they started putting high-level gear or instant level 55 characters on the CM, then I would complain. As it is, I dont see why Treek should be a Legacy exclusive. That idea smells a little bit like elitism to me... Edited by Cyberwoman

I would have much preferred it if Treek was introduced via a long solo story quest rather then via Legacy or CM. As it is, I am fine with her being added both CM and Legacy instead. It gives players a choice, and in the end she is an optional companion who offers no real benefit over any other. If they started putting high-level gear or instant level 55 characters on the CM, then I would complain. As it is, I dont see why Treek should be a Legacy exclusive. That idea smells a little bit like elitism to me...

/Agree.

Treek Option 1: Cartel Coins- real-life-cash? Here's your fuzzball.

Treek Option 2: 1 million credits- in-game cash but no legacy level nor real-life cash? Here's your fuzzball.

Treek Option 3: Legacy Level 40- you've put up with a lot of nonsense, broken promises and grinding because you still love the game but haven't the in-game cash nor real-life cash? Here's your fuzzball.

^ Now that's "win-win", in my opinion. I think what some people with Legacy 40+ are so ticked off about is that little "and" currently residing in between "Legacy Level 40" and "1 Million Credits". I think, which denotes it's my opinion. I want to make that very clear- key word: opinion.

I think I've leveled too many IAs.

But really. I never thought I'd see so much tumult and angst and ill will over an ewok, of all things...I guess I'm not as jaded as I thought I was...:D

Knock it off people, gets boring after a while and I don't think anyonecan put up a bigger rant show then user " ayelinna" or whatever he/she's called.

Peace.

** Legacy 50, 3.5 mill creds and 1k coins, can buy treek with whatever legacy requirement is or isn't there, and whatever creds or coins cost she has **

Oh look, you've called out another player in other threads. Thats against the rules I think :) Reported for harassment. Enjoy.

The real problem here is the assumption that Treek was meant to be a legacy unlock in the first place. While I like the idea of having something useful at high end legacy(as I am getting close to 50), this companion sounds like it was made primarily for the CM, with the option for long time players to pay credits instead.

If you look at it from this standpoint, the legacy level isn't the point at which you should get Treek, but instead is the point that you are rewarded for previous time.(all this without taking any prices into account, cc or credits)

Just an alternate perspective though.

The real problem here is the assumption that Treek was meant to be a legacy unlock in the first place. While I like the idea of having something useful at high end legacy(as I am getting close to 50), this companion sounds like it was made primarily for the CM, with the option for long time players to pay credits instead.

If you look at it from this standpoint, the legacy level isn't the point at which you should get Treek, but instead is the point that you are rewarded for previous time.(all this without taking any prices into account, cc or credits)

Just an alternate perspective though.

/agree

This compunded by the fact that they announced the legacy option FIRST, then later announced the CM unlock option. This mislead people into thinking it was some sort of achievement. Bad PR by BW once again exacerbates an already touchy situation. Will they ever learn?

Thing is the moment they announced Treek being sold for CM it ceased to be an achievement and became fluff. There are many who are not happy with it but it is reality. I doubt anything will change regarding this despite the many threads protesting it.

My advice: Let it go. Focus on the stuff in game that isn't for sale on the CM - there's a good bit of it left. To me that's all that is worth striving to get as it requires skill to obtain. The Aratech Coral, while being ugly as sin, is worth 10,000 Treeks from an achievement point of view.

Edited by DAMossimo

In case anyone hasn't figured it out yet, and judging by all the idiotic posts, most of you haven't:

The Cartel Shop is where it's at for BioWare. I'm quite certain that CC purchases far eclipse subscriber dollars or any other revenue source derived from the game. They intended it that way from the start. If you think this game went F2P because of lost subscribers, you're also sorely mistaken. I can say with 99% certainty that F2P was in the cards all along.

There is very little actual game development in SWTOR. They don't interact with the community, the entire game is on rails, and it's riddled with rehashed content. This game, for all intents and purposes, is a console game that happens to be online. The ONLY way to drive additional revenue was to go F2P and add real money purchases for fluff items.

If you want a real, traditional MMO, there is only one left: Eve Online. It's the last of a dying breed.

There's virtually zero sense of achievement to be gained from a Cartel Market purchase.

How short-sided and actually incorrect. Mid you, I'm legacy 49 so I don't really care either way. But, you're ignoring quite the achievement to be at one's point in life that you can -- most outside of the SWTOR community would say "waste" -- real dollars on a digital action figure.

In today's economy, to have any dollars to spend on a Cartel Market purchase is QUITE The achievement. :D

I don't think Treek was really intended to be a legacy reward. I believe she was created for the Cartel Market, but to avoid the serious backlash that the cut scene cubes got, they added an in- game way to get her as well. To ensure they still get tons of people shelling out real money for her, they set the in-game bar fairly high. This is a compromise I can live with.

This compunded by the fact that they announced the legacy option FIRST, then later announced the CM unlock option. This mislead people into thinking it was some sort of achievement. Bad PR by BW once again exacerbates an already touchy situation. Will they ever learn?.

My guess is they assumed that if they brought up the CM option first (or in conjunction with the legacy/credits option), people would zero in on that and throw a fit. I'm pretty sure they would have had people upset either way, though I agree that the way they seemed to imply it was derived from in-game actions alone came across badly.

I'm not too bothered, but I avoided HK and will likely not pick up a Treek via credits either (maybe for my warrior for plot/story reasons but we'll see). I prefer the companions I've leveled with/have grown attached to.

Edited by Lesaberisa

It's boring. There's virtually zero sense of achievement to be gained from a Cartel Market purchase. Personally, I'll be grinding my way to Legacy Level 40 (I'm a meager 10) and one million credits requirement, not because I don't have the disposable income to buy her, but simply because it's more FUN!

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this sentiment. And if other impulse buyers (which I have no qualms in admitting to being) like me are starting to think along the same lines, then BioWare should be exceedingly worried.

I guess my overriding criticism of -- not just Treek, but the Cartel Market in general -- is that it's beginning to feel like cheating. It's as if the more achievement-based free-to-play model (unlock ____ item for ____ amount after reaching Legacy Level _____) is the correct way of playing the game, and the subscription model a cheap Game Genie alternative.

I don't agree with any of this.

But, anyways, by the time you get Treek, there'll be another comp on the cartel market.

Have fun.

My guess is they assumed that if they brought up the CM option first (or in conjunction with the legacy/credits option), people would zero in on that and throw a fit. I'm pretty sure they would have had people upset either way, though I agree that the way they seemed to imply it was derived from in-game actions alone came across badly.

It's more simple then that actually.

1) They were just about to open PTS.

2) Treek would be there on PTS in a Legacy Unlock form...so they announced it.

3) CM content is typically NOT shown in advance on PTS, so they did not talk about it. Generally like to surprise with the CM stuff, expansion content, and sometimes event content.

That said.. yeah.. with this audience.. you have to keep it simple, precise, unambiguous, and complete or there will be melt downs in the forum. Even if they to all of this.. there will still be melt downs.. so my guess is they just don't put near as much energy into the whole thing as the drama troupe in the fourms does.

It's nice to know that you care about yourself, but why would we care?

Here's my point. I have 8 level 55s, I already have legacy 50 for a year and I have to fork over 1 million to get him? Where's the excitement in that? I much prefer a quest chain as we did for HK or something in game to do to unlock the companion. I am glad that I will have the option of using cartel coins if I decide I want the ewok. All I have to do is hand in 1 million credits. That's boring and a waste of my credits that I much prefer to use on gearing my characters.

So really, not everybody is like you. That's why you get the option. But either way getting this companion is boring. Whether you spend real or fake cash on it, the idea is the same.

Edited by Tsillah