SwMoniTOR actually has a threat generation graph overlay, as does Mox Parser, I believe.

We have used those too, even still run Mox just for to joke on each other, like my sawbones getting 2nd highest dps of the group in a trash pull (love flyby), but TorParse is great because it gives you access to the raw data too to figure out what is really going on. You can dig through each persons combat log and figure out what is killing them or how something is getting aggroed that shouldn't like the color spheres on Operator IX.

Edited by mikebevo

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it isn't - lots of tanks forget to set guard, and I've seen immensely poor play from "Warstalkers". It is in no way a bad idea to remind people to use their abilities if they dont by themselves.

Agreed...BUT, if the tank fails to guard my BiS powertech, I'll still leave it for a few pulls and see if he is good enough to hold aggro anyway. Usually the answer is no, and a fair few of the times that happens the tank will realize that and guard me at that point, so I'll give him that chance before I ask.

We have used those too, even still run Mox just for to joke on each other, like my sawbones getting 2nd highest dps of the group in a trash pull (love flyby), but TorParse is great because it gives you access to the raw data too to figure out what is really going on. You can dig through each persons combat log and figure out what is killing them or how something is getting aggroed that shouldn't like the color spheres on Operator IX.

Don't forget that TORParse is developing a desktop application (like MOX) -- I'm super excited about it

<3 James Davidson

Oh, I will dispute the "need" (if by "need" you imply it is too hard to do without) to guard healers even there.

I have done it even on hardmode without guarding healers. Besides if you were to ever do it in 16-man you would have less tanks than healers, and could not guard them all, and would have to device a way to keep aggro off unguarded healers anyway. Although I did only 8-man in HM, I still did not even bother guarding healers.

It is only before the first tank switch that you run a high risk of loosing aggro to healers. So all you have to do is to have the first tank to begin by using both his single taunt and aoe taunt to build threat, then few seconds later have the second tank to taunt it and use both his single taunt and aoe taunt to build up threat. If that second tank is Assassin/Shadow he can also stand in the outer circle and use Force Shroud/Resilience to make himself immune to the damage he receives for 5 seconds, so there is not even any pressure for healers to switch targets all the time. Then after 5 seconds the first tank will taunt it back to himself, and hold it until the first scream when they need to tank switch for real. After having done all this the boss has been taunted so many times, that with the way taunts multiply your threat, the tanks will no longer loose aggro to healers, and will continue to just tank normally.

The last 20% is a bit tricky too, but it can be handled too.

Does it benefit to guard healers in this fight? Yes it does. It is one of those rare fights where normal aggro mechanics are not in place so it actually does benefit to guard healers.

Is it necessary to guard healers there? No, not really. You can do it easily enough even without it.

Taunts don't build threat independent of other threat already being on the target. Throwing both of your taunts right away just gives an overlapping 6 seconds of the boss attacking you - the amount of threat it will give you is dependent entirely on the highest amount of threat already on that target.

When you're taunting to start a fight, you're not actually gaining threat. You're just forcing the boss to attack you for 6 seconds.

It's not impossible to do without guarding the healers, I didn't mean that. But it makes it a lot easier, and there's no reason whatsoever to guard the DPS there.