Has this game promoted too much Single Player? [lack of community]

Toogeloo

I've been getting kind of depressed at the lack of community in this game lately. I know that many people have moved on, or only socialize within their guilds now or something, but it's pretty sad that General chat doesn't move at all, even when you are in a zone with more than 20 people.

I try to spur conversation sometimes in general chat, but it usually goes unanswered or peters out after a couple comments. Even in Fleet, there practically no General Chat other than maybe someone looking for a group for a Hard Mode every 20 minutes or so.

This isn't the only problem too... some people just don't even acknowledge your presence either. I was questing on Hoth and saw another guy killing the exact same stuff I was. So I sent him a tell asking if he wanted to team and an invite as well. I got no response from him at all, and about 10 seconds later he declined the invite as well. This happened to me last week on Nar Shaddaa as well, with a different person.

People in general don't respond to tells at all. I asked a level 50 in my class that I saw in Fleet some questions regarding my class and just watched as he ran to the Cargo Holds, then to a mail box, then mounted and rode off to where ever he was going without saying anything back to me.

Finally, the most frustrating is when I am out leveling, I throw my class buff on everyone I see. Maybe 1 person in 10 actually returns the favor, even if I sit there and spam my buff on them repeatedly hoping they get the hint that I would love their buff in return.

What gives with the lack of community in the game? I swear most people just see this as a single player game and don't even recognize other people play as well. With the drastic decline in populous since release, you would think that those that remain would be even closer than before, teaming up for anything and everything, and generally being helpful, but it seems the opposite... like the more people that leave, the more the remaining players drift apart from the rest of the players.

Edited by Toogeloo

yeah wish there was a "true global chat" channel. if theres 300 on the whole server, split by planet, ship, fleet, station, zone.. guild chat can reach anyone anywhere--we need a open channel like guild that anyone can read and reply anytime. that builds community. that and only that.

Your question responce...Yes

1. Cant talk to the other faction...( that I know of ) makes for not knowing who your playing up against

2. Most folks ( including me ) turn their chat box off because of the "schoolyard" mentality , as fast as they shut off threads, you would think general chat would have more regs.

3. Most things in this game b4 lvl 50, can be soloed under the right conditions

4.No real interdependancy... you dont need to group...yes there is some instances for it, and of course pvp

5. The NEED for community is so lost in this game, no one wants entertainers, crafting isnt viable to have folks really need it.

6. There are sites on the web now dedicated to cheat this game, devs know it, but do not fix it, ( maybe the are trying and I am being a hard arse )

Put this stuff together and think on it...would you want to build up too much in a game like this...sure play it, beat it, stretch it out a bit.....but build something like community.......aint seeing it, wish I did

The first thing I do is turn off general chat. I don't WANT to aimlessly chat for fifteen bucks a month... I could join Facebook and aimlessly chat for free.

I pay fifteen bucks a month for KOTOR3. If it was a single player game... or a two player game I could play with my wife... and if it had regular expansions, I'd be happier.

Other people interfere with my fun, they do not enhance it.

Your question responce...Yes

1. Cant talk to the other faction...( that I know of ) makes for not knowing who your playing up against

2. Most folks ( including me ) turn their chat box off because of the "schoolyard" mentality , as fast as they shut off threads, you would think general chat would have more regs.

3. Most things in this game b4 lvl 50, can be soloed under the right conditions

4.No real interdependancy... you dont need to group...yes there is some instances for it, and of course pvp

5. The NEED for community is so lost in this game, no one wants entertainers, crafting isnt viable to have folks really need it.

6. There are sites on the web now dedicated to cheat this game, devs know it, but do not fix it, ( maybe the are trying and I am being a hard arse )

Put this stuff together and think on it...would you want to build up too much in a game like this...sure play it, beat it, stretch it out a bit.....but build something like community.......aint seeing it, wish I did

1. As in most military/combat scenarios. You dont know until you scout them out. Similar to the "no local" in EVE Wormholes.

2. It's pretty much the same in most MMOs. Nothing new there.

3. Except for most Heroics, FPs, World Bosses, and even some "soloable" bosses unless you're overlevelled.

4. You just contradicted yourself. :)

5. I disagree. I've crafted a LOT of stuff and put it on GTN. It sells very well. There is always a need for outfitting your companions, and let's face it; that garbage they give you for mission rewards is.... well.... garbage.

6. The devs have been working almost non-stop to fix a lot of exploitable bugs, and already have fixed numerous glitches that people had been exploiting since beta. Main example: The AoE PvP Flag bug on PvE servers. Fixed, since it was being exploited badly.

Remember, they have teams dedicated to resolving glitch issues that are seperate from the new content dev team.

I've been getting kind of depressed at the lack of community in this game lately. I know that many people have moved on, or only socialize within their guilds now or something, but it's pretty sad that General chat doesn't move at all, even when you are in a zone with more than 20 people.

I try to spur conversation sometimes in general chat, but it usually goes unanswered or peters out after a couple comments. Even in Fleet, there practically no General Chat other than maybe someone looking for a group for a Hard Mode every 20 minutes or so.

This isn't the only problem too... some people just don't even acknowledge your presence either. I was questing on Hoth and saw another guy killing the exact same stuff I was. So I sent him a tell asking if he wanted to team and an invite as well. I got no response from him at all, and about 10 seconds later he declined the invite as well. This happened to me last week on Nar Shaddaa as well, with a different person.

People in general don't respond to tells at all. I asked a level 50 in my class that I saw in Fleet some questions regarding my class and just watched as he ran to the Cargo Holds, then to a mail box, then mounted and rode off to where ever he was going without saying anything back to me.

Finally, the most frustrating is when I am out leveling, I throw my class buff on everyone I see. Maybe 1 person in 10 actually returns the favor, even if I sit there and spam my buff on them repeatedly hoping they get the hint that I would love their buff in return.

What gives with the lack of community in the game? I swear most people just see this as a single player game and don't even recognize other people play as well. With the drastic decline in populous since release, you would think that those that remain would be even closer than before, teaming up for anything and everything, and generally being helpful, but it seems the opposite... like the more people that leave, the more the remaining players drift apart from the rest of the players.

Not to me I find enough people to with daily. YOU HAVE to do the finding yourself. In every planet I group with people for heroics and have fun. I even added a couple of those players to my friends list for later game play.

I came from Star Wars Galaxies and ill admit the guild/social aspects there puts this game to shame. Saying that, alot of those features were not there at the start and took upto 5 years to be implemented.

What i am waiting for are:

Guild emails

Better guild tools ie more characters allowed in message of the day

Allow officers to get emails anytime someone leaves or joins the guild

Guild banks- please tell me its a joke only guild leader can access

Guild ships

Guild ranks, community aspects

More social/community features ingame ie playable games in cantina's, race tracks, fishing etc.

In Star Wars Galaxies some of the events we put on for the server were:

Fancy Dress Compeitionts, Quiz Nights (harder here as no macros), PvP events, Pet v Pet events, Fishing competitions, racing competions inc pet mount racing, Motor shows, Space ship shows, pet shows, Storyteller events (ingame tool that lets you plan own events).

Hopefully in time this will come.

So far here ive done a hide and seek event, a cantina social event, and have a teamspeak star wars movies quiz night soon. Just wish i had more options ingame to do more

To me, teaming ends up being a PITA.

• The game doesn't level shift one's teammates to the mission holder's level. You can only profitably team with people of your own level.
  • Travelling's a pain in the arse if you want to help someone in your guild who's on a different planet.
  • The automatic team-making tool only works for PvP. It is, IME, a no-brainer that it should work for FPs and ops.
  • Many planets seem empty because they are, at the end of the day, gated so that only a narrow range of levels gets any benefit, at all, from them.

In no particular order ...

• Expand the Warzone queue to include ops and FPs. And then expand to include granularity so that a team leader can specify roles he's looking for.
  • In CoH terms, add a SK system to make it possible to find teams outside of one's level and feel like you're contributing (lowbie -> high level) and being challenged (high level -> lowbie).
  • Expand the existing worlds to include higher level content. The centre of the Republic ... is a world for lowbies? Really? No wonder it was sacked.
  • Add tools to bring one's teammates or guildmates together. Instantly.

And, as the SWG refugee pointed out ... this game could do with some in-game tools for organizing events.

about the buffing I try to return the favor when I remember to a lot of times people will cast on me in the cantina when I am afk. If they run by and cast I am not thinking they are doing it for my benefit and don't really want to chase them down to return the favor.

I play alone a lot due to random afk's with my kid or business so unless I know I have real down time for myself I don't want to put that kind of pressure on a group. It worked out well in other games I played due to guild members not minding me having to step away from time to time, but since most of my friends who got me into this game have quit I am on my own and don't expect strangers to understand my need to step away every once in awhile.

I will say this the experience I have had with grouping in this game were not all bad but they did not feel necessary to be honest. Outside the latest elite my sentinel is having troubles with on Corelia I have been able to get threw most quests with no assistance and it hasn't bothered me. And I used to love grouping since I used to be heavy into raids and the like but now just enjoying the story lines have sustained me.

Honestly i think part of the problem is companions, As much as i love having a pocket healer whenever i need one, it feels like Guild Wars a little bit. Guild Wars added Heroes which are basically companions that you can take on quests and missions and whatever. It made grouping completely pointless, which is one of the reasons why i left...plus it was god awfully boring.

It seems Swtor is taking a similar path with companions, I don't have to group for most of these group quests, or heroics, i just use my companions to tank or heal while i dps. I'm not saying they need to remove companions but maybe ban companions from entering heroic areas or Flashpoints, then you might actually need other people and it would force you to group with other people, which is what an MMO should do, you shouldn't be able to Solo Deathwing in WoW, no you need a raid group of real people. it should be like that in Swtor, Community should have been the focus from the start, not Storylines or characters. :[

This definitely feels like a single player game. I expect it to go free to play.

hahahahahahhhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahhahahahaahahahahahhahahahahhahahhhhhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah

you so silliy! :p

I'm on the European Lord Calypho RP-PvP server. There are two other European RP-PvP servers, and all three have light populations. Why not merge all three? That seems like the logical thing to do.

I love this game, I'm enjoying the story and I like to indulge in a little PvP as well (even though I'm rubbish at it!) But trying to get a group together for a Heroic can be a pain in the *** at times.

If there were more people on each server, there would be a greater sense of community.

Another SWG Veteran here.

1. 3/4 of SWTOR is not a Massive Multiplayer Online, but instead a Miniscule MultiplayerLESS Online as the game engulfs itself in solo content. There are never any conversations and heroics are a pathetic way to make peopel group. It took me 45 minutes to find one person for a heroic.

2. There is no sense or feel in the community. It's all the same on every server I've never seen any life in the community. The people that I do see simply walk by me while I say "hello". In SWG, it was not like this at all. There was a strong bond in the community in SWG. I'm not even sure why or how it was like that. Everyone seemed to know each other. Cantinas felt fun. The community was helpful. Grouping was abundant. This is what SWTOR lacks.

3. And, as the previous SWG player posted, I did a lot of social events too. (The storytellers were fun, heh, I tried to remake the Battle of Hoth on Tatooine!) It made it fun.

Overall, what I'm trying to say is, BIOWARE focused TOO MUCH on SOLO CONTENT and forgot this was supposed to be an MMO, as in MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER ONLINE.

So yes, you can say that this is a Single Player game until further notice.

Really, I try to picture this as KOTOR 3 with a little button command to unlock Multiplayer, except it usually goes haywire and I have to wait a long time before I can get in (so hard to find groups).

Edited by Darth_Eminok

I think it's obvious why there's no sense of community (in some people's minds) just reading many of the responses to this thread. Plenty of people are turning off their General chat, or not grouping with other people and just avoiding others because they fear bad people, players, jerks, selfish people, etc., etc.

The thing is you can't always like every person you are around. Remember your high school days? You had your group of friends, and there were probably a lot of people you didn't want to speak to at all, ever. A community is not a group of people who all share the same ideas, goals, attitudes and likes each other. You have to find friends and acquaintances in an online game just as you do in real life. Completely ignoring everyone because of a few bad apples is of course going to make it seem like there is no community.

i think the guild bank perfectly sums up this game and the "single player" feel.

Dont get me wrong, i like this game and we have a very good community here in our guild with active chat, banter and usual events and more.

The guild bank in 1.2 though is only guild leader only accessible. He/She cant even appoint officers to access/manage it. Single player again. Its that sort of implemtation that tells me that Bioware is trying and has produced a great game but doesnt quite understand what mmorpgs, guilds and communitys should mean.

I find most MMO's these days can be enjoyed solo if that's what you want. Eve, WoW, Rift, STO and this one too. I have played all of them, in the end it's still up to you to group or not. SWG back in the day could also be played entirely solo if that's what you wanted. I know as a mostly solo player I will not see lots of content, but that's ok as I honestly don't like being counted on to be somewhere at a certain time for raids, etc. Looking for group finders can solve that problem, which this game will eventually get too.

Joining a social guild is often fun. I am in one with one of my toons, and the rest are solo atm. I find social guilds have no real expectations, except chatting, and that way you can group or not group, it's up to you.

So in the end this game doesn't promote solo play any more than any other game.

Edited by Droidist

I'm getting the impression some folks are playing on the wrong server, or not paying attention to the social aspect, even when its right before them - instead they are opting out of using the tools provided to be social with others.

After playing many MMO's and finding myself on a good server, I've found it far more social than anything I've been used to previously, and there is a real sense of community for those who try to get involved.

If you found yourself on a server that's lagging behind in player count, and want to be involved in the social aspect of this game, it might require moving servers and/or making an effort to participate in chat and grouping. If you still don't find it a social friendly game, I doubt any MMO on the market will live up to expectation.

Edited by ProsaicProse

general chat isnt server wide but zone specific which propagates the feeling of isolation. it makes it difficult to continue conversations once you leave one area to the next.

it is understandable to have such to minigate the low level kiddies talk but other games made level specific channels server wide which allowed access only upon leveling into it. this gave an option to or not to listen to lower level channels upon leveling out of it.

i am not saying this is the cause but rather a handful of the nails into the coffin. it is hard to have a server community when the channels of communication are so fractured and seperate.

sadly what started this was server wide gold spam selling in mmo's in general which lacked a filter for such.

this game hasnt promoted anything single playerwise which other mmo's out there dont have. such other mmo's have easy soloable leveling up and optional instances which have a community. but most of them are not trying to pull its player base from a well known mmo, which is dying, that never had much of a community in the first place. when you have a substancial number of players not use to nor know how to intermingle it will lead to such problems.

i think this is, lower server population, and poor communication outlets are the primary causes rather than just the game itself.