Should I be affronted

ajfrankj

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking, I wonder when English accents for the Empire became the norm? Was it casting Peter Cushing as Tarkin? Ben Kenobi played a Jedi, so that counts the other way. Most of the other Imperial accents in the first movie were American. Maybe it's because you can't say "m'lord" as an American and have it sound right.

"Peter Cushing as Tarkin? "

OMG I forgot all about that haha. As far as I'm aware I only heard 1 scottish accent (maybe 2) and that was a doc on Kaas i think.

For the record, Palpatine's scottish too just sounds evil-er :)

Edited by thomasbaxter

There is no such thing as "American Language".

Its called English.

Yu spik engrish wel?

As an American, after hanging around with enough Englishmen (and Englishwomen), I've realized that the English spoken by The Queen's Subjects isn't quite the same English in the Land of the Free.

As an American, after hanging around with enough Englishmen (and Englishwomen), I've realized that the English spoken by The Queen's Subjects isn't quite the same English in the Land of the Free.

There's more english-speaking countries than just Britain and America.

Australia, Britain, and the U.S. are countries where English is the de facto language, then there are around 56 Sovereign countries where English is an official language. Like EVERY language, English has its own dialects, which are variations on the same language, such as the difference between British English and American English.

"You yanks call it a toilet, we call it a loo. You call it a trunk, we call it a boot. You pronounce it "erbs" while we pronounce it "herbs" ... because it's got a f***ing 'h' in it." ~ Eddie Izzard :D Edited by GalacticKegger

"You yanks call it a toilet, we call it a loo. You call it a trunk, we call it a boot. You pronounce it "erbs" while we pronounce it "herbs" ... because it's got a f***ing 'h' in it." ~ Eddie Izzard :D

I'll never forget the offended look a Brit gave me when I said something about getting smacked in the fanny.

"You yanks call it a toilet, we call it a loo. You call it a trunk, we call it a boot. You pronounce it "erbs" while we pronounce it "herbs" ... because it's got a f***ing 'h' in it." ~ Eddie Izzard :D

Yeah, but :p that's about the only time an "H" gets pronounced ;) lol

Edited by Akiviri

Makes me think back to the old TIE Fighter game from the early 90's. The english voice actor had to make quite an effort to say Z-95 rather than Zed-95 during mission briefings. But anyways I have often wondered since the first time I played during beta why no one on Courscant has the correct (british) accent. That is suppose to be the offical native accent of Courscant.

It's a stereotype that is used commonly. If you take offense I'm sorry I wish it were different. However in my opinion, I believe the accent makes the empire foreign and more appealing (I was born and live 20 minutes from DC). I do not enjoy the American accent on the republic side because it's too normal for me. Oh and thank what ever deity you may pray to that the DC/Maryland/Virginia ( DMV for short) accent is not included. It is extremely low class, uneducated, barely English, and is atrocious.

I'll never forget the offended look a Brit gave me when I said something about getting smacked in the fanny.

That last word means something rather rude and feminine is Britain, although I understand it just means the backside in America.

I would not advise using it with British people, best case is a long explanation from you, worst case is assault.

That last word means something rather rude and feminine is Britain, although I understand it just means the backside in America.

I would not advise using it with British people, best case is a long explanation from you, worst case is assault.

LOL - yes. I wonder what images the ''Fanny Farmer Cookbook" raise.....

Bioware should include more regional accents, not less. It's terribly classist, but they're using the stereotypical "British/BBC" accent for the officers, Moffs and II Agents with a smattering of regional accents as "oddities" which would represent a certain amount of upwardly mobile people in the lower classes, due to their ability and not necessarily due to born status.

I still think Bill Bailey should get to voice a Moff at some point.

Can you explain what a "Moff" is?

Yeah that.

I can't actually think of what their comparative role would be IRL - their position seems to be fairly unique (to the best of my knowledge, I'm hardly steeped in the military or navy here) in that they command (or can command) military, naval and special units.

Joint Special Operations Command, I think, would be the best analogue.