Back after 9 months off. Dps meters yet?

Lancerx

It's funny. I see a lot of people complaining about elietest who like to show off their DPS numbers if their were a meter and saying how its not necessary. The truth is that DPS meters are very helpful such as if your in a raid and you cant beat an enrage timer, what are you going to do, just sit there and continue to get face-raped by the boss or actually have some numbers which would help you determine who is bull ******** and who is actually taking it seriously. Yes I agree in some cases It is not necessary and just there for people to talk **** but their are useful cases where it would be great to have it.

:rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny. I see a lot of people complaining about elietest who like to show off their DPS numbers if their were a meter and saying how its not necessary. The truth is that DPS meters are very helpful such as if your in a raid and you cant beat an enrage timer, what are you going to do, just sit there and continue to get face-raped by the boss or actually have some numbers which would help you determine who is bull ******** and who is actually taking it seriously. Yes I agree in some cases It is not necessary and just there for people to talk **** but their are useful cases where it would be great to have it.

:rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03: :rak_03:

The problem is not the DPS meter, it is the way that TOO MANY players think it is the end-all-be-all.

As to your question about what to do if a raid group cannot beat a rage timer....Ever here the phrase, "walk away." There are times when an operation group you are in simply cannot cut it. A good leader will know when it is time to simply walk away - DPS meter or not.

Just curious, Im back after 9 months off from playing, looking forward to having some fun solo'ing and what not. Is there anyway to monitor dps yet? I know before there was no way, and it kinda bummed me out. Dps charts I know are not that important at times, but they are very fun to me though.

If that's your first question after 9 months, you can just go away again.

The problem is not the DPS meter, it is the way that TOO MANY players think it is the end-all-be-all.

As to your question about what to do if a raid group cannot beat a rage timer....Ever here the phrase, "walk away." There are times when an operation group you are in simply cannot cut it. A good leader will know when it is time to simply walk away - DPS meter or not.

That fine for some people but if you actually want to progress then walking away isn't going to help. Sometimes you need to pull a few weeds in order to continue.

Best way to improve ypur dps is to stop using buffs/debuffs/cc that take your time and help comrades.

Eh?

"Buffs" are done outside of combat

"Debufs" on enemies are often part of standard combat rotations (e.g. Shatter Shot or Sundering Assault)

"CC" happens right at the start of an encounter. Only rarely is it needed mid combat.

How is your advice of any value at all?

"Buffs" are done outside of combat

"Debufs" on enemies are often part of standard combat rotations (e.g. Shatter Shot or Sundering Assault)

"CC" happens right at the start of an encounter. Only rarely is it needed mid combat.

Depends on abilities. You can put a -armour debuff on all foes, not only the one you are dpsing, and there are times when you have to use short ccs/protection buffs to help comrades. The are debuffs which are useless for your dps but help tank/healer, like -accuracy. Or you can ignore self defence and put everything to dps, blaming a healer if you die. Point is, dps is a subjective stat to grade an actual perfomance. I.e. you can throw aoes to get better total dps numbers, but the actual contribution to the fight effectiveness will decrease. A good dps is not the one which has better dps numbers. Oh, not doing interrupts is also a good way to increase dps. :cool:

Edited by Irxyyy

That fine for some people but if you actually want to progress then walking away isn't going to help. Sometimes you need to pull a few weeds in order to continue.

To "pull a few weeds" - offline 3rd party log parser is quite sufficient, isn't it? There is a lot of them. The only thing "built-in" DPS meter has, and the current parsers dont - is the ability to show off your DPS to others. Ahh and if you playing in PUG and not everyone has them - then maybe go with your guildmates, since you absolutely have to beat that timer (and leave alone ppl who are here to play, not crunch numbers)? :D "People who want to progress" - generally have guilds which use the lot of such tools, 3rd party or not.

Edited by Mad_yojik

• 1 year later...

It baffles me every time I see a thread with so many people complaining about DPS/HPS meters...

The most common link between all of the complainers is the concern that "this game will turn into WoW."

The second most common complaint is "DPS/HPS meters will breed elitists."

First"this game will turn into WoW." – What a ridiculous thing to say. The ability to parse and report data is in no way limited to just WoW, nor does it define a game whatsoever. There are TONS of other MMORPG's that incorporate DPS/HPS meters, and yet each one of them is still a very unique game. Complaints like this are made with inexperience at their core.

Second"Damage meters will breed elitists." – Personally, I don't see anything wrong with wanting to be elite at a game. In fact I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to be the best at what they do, in game & in real life. And just like in any other MMORPG, if you don't like another player, you can choose not to play with them – or use the handy "ignore" feature. You literally can play this game completely solo if you want – or with other like minded individuals such as yourself.

So, why even have numbered stats on gear? "+100 Force Power" should be renamed to "Grants more Force Power". Because without parsing your output numbers, what good are numbers at all? You would have no idea how they translate into reality.

Having an in-game DPS/HPS meter will make it easier for players to improve upon themselves, making end-game content more attainable & achievable, It will make it easier for players to help other players improve (which is what makes the MMO world spin FYI).

There are many different ways to accomplish the same goal in this game, which is why I love it! And a DPS/HPS meter will help the entire player population enjoy each method to it's fullest extent, and at the same time offer a sense of competitiveness that a large part of the SWTOR population has been yearning for since launch.

How about an in-game DPS/HPS meter with the option to show/hide to other players. That way it can be personal if you want, or public if you want.

Please respond to this post with specific concerns – with etiquette – and I would be happy to debate. Thanks!

Edited by Leneux

If your guild requires X DPS then they can use the combat parser. If you are in a guild that simply counts downing the boss as a victory them no need to worry about someone's DPS number. Downing the boss is the goal. Moaning over DPS numbers is a waste of time.

NiM mode is the only thing in this game that might require asking someone to show their individual DPS number. My progression guild runs hardmode without checking everyone's individual numbers. We haven't had a single issue whet we had to check someone's DPS. The boss is the goal.

Edited by Arkerus

It baffles me every time I see a thread with so many people complaining about DPS/HPS meters...

The most common link between all of the complainers is the concern that "this game will turn into WoW."

The second most common complaint is "DPS/HPS meters will breed elitists."

First"this game will turn into WoW." – What a ridiculous thing to say. The ability to parse and report data is in no way limited to just WoW, nor does it define a game whatsoever. There are TONS of other MMORPG's that incorporate DPS/HPS meters, and yet each one of them is still a very unique game. Complaints like this are made with inexperience at their core.

Second"Damage meters will breed elitists." – Personally, I don't see anything wrong with wanting to be elite at a game. In fact I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to be the best at what they do, in game & in real life. And just like in any other MMORPG, if you don't like another player, you can choose not to play with them – or use the handy "ignore" feature. You literally can play this game completely solo if you want – or with other like minded individuals such as yourself.

So, why even have numbered stats on gear? "+100 Force Power" should be renamed to "Grants more Force Power". Because without parsing your output numbers, what good are numbers at all? You would have no idea how they translate into reality.

Having an in-game DPS/HPS meter will make it easier for players to improve upon themselves, making end-game content more attainable & achievable, It will make it easier for players to help other players improve (which is what makes the MMO world spin FYI).

There are many different ways to accomplish the same goal in this game, which is why I love it! And a DPS/HPS meter will help the entire player population enjoy each method to it's fullest extent, and at the same time offer a sense of competitiveness that a large part of the SWTOR population has been yearning for since launch.

How about an in-game DPS/HPS meter with the option to show/hide to other players. That way it can be personal if you want, or public if you want.

Please respond to this post with specific concerns – with etiquette – and I would be happy to debate. Thanks!

On your first point I agree, but I disagree with your second point. It is not the desire to be elite that is the problem, it is when that goal turns into frustration and anger at others that IS a problem. When people use "elite" as a derogatory term what they mean is that someone is SO consumed by being the best and never wanting to fail that they exclude those who are not like them even by the slightest amount (I have seen "elitists" kick a person from a group because they averaged 1999DPS and the "cut-off" was 2000. I mean come on really? FYI I left that group too) THAT is the "elitism" that players fear.

And You have missed an issue that is bigger than both of the one's you've pointed out: Tunnel Vision - the extreme desire to top the meters so one ignores fight mechanics and dies as a result. And ever since the release of DF/DP this game has leaned heavily on mechanics to challenge the players. Having meters in game WILL distract players and cause deaths and wipes. As a result, I am against in game meters.

That does not mean I am against ALL meters. My guild has used MOX, Parsec, and TORParse a lot over the course of our progression. The beauty of these 3rd party parsers is that they are NOT a distraction for the simple fact that most players have them up but cannot see them while playing.