Combat Log Parser Round-Up & Instructions

Zoopercat

Hello fellow parser-making-people!

I dont have the greatest sample of logs yet (a.k.a. it easier to ask if someone figured this out yet rather then find out for myself).

Does a boss-death, in operations, log for every operation member? Or only for the killing blowing one or damage dealing players?

The problem ofcouse is to find some common denominator for log merging. I was thinking of boss deaths but that wont work for operations with pure wipe. Im just thinking out loud. Maybe just wait for BW to log the servertime with date to make things supereasy.

I understand if you don't want to share if you figured it out already, I am just thinking out load.

Edited by heltidsluffare

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Hells, we're always open to sharing the info that Mr. Robot has figured out. No secrets here, that's just now how we roll.

The boss death seems to only be logged for one player, my best guess is the person who got the killing blow, but that's just a guess. I added boss deaths to be logged to feature requests, so cross your fingers!

I also wanted to share an idea that Rumrunner had on our forums for overhealing (view thread). Basically, the idea is that overhealing does no threat, so you could estimate overhealing by looking at the threat. Here's a portion of his explanation:

BTW, just to give you an easy way to see why I think it works nicely....look at this log: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/2b593ba0-0ce5-4821-83f3-0c98b0fa2e02#d=1

For this night, I had the threat reducing talent. However it doe not apply to a medpack. If you look at the one time I used a med pack which would have been at like 25% life so no over healing, the threat is exactly 0.5 times the heal. If you look at things like Proactive Medicine which would have a large amount of over healing since it is a HoT that I do not rely on....meaning I top someone off to full, then the HoT keeps ticking. Indeed it does have a lot of over healing. Kolto Shell which only heals for a small amount after someone is hit should rarely over heal. Indeed it has a low amount of over healing.

Hells, I'm adding your parser to the main list today, stay tuned.

great work everyone!

I've looked at a few of these and I can't seem to find one that actually documents defense information: I'd really like to know how many attacks are being parried, deflected, shielded by me and how much damage was absorbed - which I think is all available in the logs - or am I just not reading the information properly? or can someone point me to a parser that does show this?

Anyway to calculate how long you are stunned, immobilized etc.?

great work everyone!

I've looked at a few of these and I can't seem to find one that actually documents defense information: I'd really like to know how many attacks are being parried, deflected, shielded by me and how much damage was absorbed - which I think is all available in the logs - or am I just not reading the information properly? or can someone point me to a parser that does show this?

Anyway to calculate how long you are stunned, immobilized etc.?

ah. I see the defense stats in TorParse but am a bit confused...can anyone clarify miss versus dodge versus glance versus parry versus deflect?

And also, while the absorb number is shown, how does this directly translate into how often or % that shield is kicking in? does it correspond to one of the items in the previous sentence? It would be nice to compare to 'shield chnace' stat

ah. I see the defense stats in TorParse but am a bit confused...can anyone clarify miss versus dodge versus glance versus parry versus deflect?

I don't realy think this is want you are asking but:

Miss, Dodge, Perry and Deflect all does 0 dmg.

Glance does less damage then a normal hit.

I don't realy think this is want you are asking but:

Miss, Dodge, Perry and Deflect all does 0 dmg.

Glance does less damage then a normal hit.

ya, i'm trying to figure out what I'm doing/stat that is driving each of these different 'type' of misses and I 'think' it has to do with melee versus ranged or something?

ya, i'm trying to figure out what I'm doing/stat that is driving each of these different 'type' of misses and I 'think' it has to do with melee versus ranged or something?

Miss and dodge can be both melee and range.

I have only seen melee parry and range deflect.

I have not seen any difference in what type of damage it is but then again I havn't looking into it so much.

We alsio got "resist" and "immune" in that column. Guess those are for force?

Edited by heltidsluffare

Mr. Robot will show you what % of attacks you avoid, for example,

We roll them all into one 'avoid' section for now until there's more meaningful information to show for the breakdown of each type of avoid.

Awesome. Now waiting for absorption handling (both from off-hand shields and spells).

There's enough meaningful information I think to display and I like the way TORParse shows it, especially "Estimated Lost Damage". If you couple this function with per-skill information it's gonna be a BOMB.

(To see what I mean: http://www.torparse.com/a/10350?q=MXwxMDM1MHg3ODMxNTczMGE3ODMxNzQzOXgx, select "The Thing from the Stars", select "Damage Dealt".)

Feokist, we have a big update coming out soon, and I *think* it will include better dmg absoption info :)

As for the missed damage, that's not a very useful number. I see what you are trying to get at, but let me try to explain a robot's way of thinking.

If you take the avg DPS and multiply it by your # of misses, you get the avg dmg lost in these cases. So then people would think 'oh man, if I increased my chance to hit, I'll gain all of that damage? ******!' Well, that isn't true, in order to get hit you have to sacrifice another stat, like crit or alacrity, etc. Sacrificing either of those stats in order to get hit will change your DPS numbers. Let's use your parse as an example:

Fight Duration: 346 seconds

Total Dmg: 143,240

# of Misses: 3 (it's only 1, but pretend it's 3 for this exercise)

Avg DPS: 413

Avg Damge per Crit: 864

Avg Dmg / Hit: 580

Est Dmg Lost: 580 * 3 = 1740

Now let's say you sacrifice 2% crit for 1% hit to get hit capped. In the previous fight, 69 out of 247 hits were crits (28%). If we lose 2% crit rate, we lose 5 critical hits (247*.02). Those crits cost you about 4322 (5*864) dmg and turn into regular hits (at 580 / hit), for an actual crit loss of 1422 damage.

New Math:

New total damage, with lost crit: 141,818 over 247 hits = 574 / hit.

Add in 3 new hits at 574 each, for a new total dmg of 143,540

# of Misses: 0

Avg DPS: 415

Avg Dmg / Hit: 574 (143,540 / 250 hits)

Actual Dmg Gained in this scenario: 143,540 - 143,240 = 300 (instead of gaining the expected 1740)

We show the average DPS, which includes misses. So the idea is to get that number up. Extra hits could do it, extra crits, or faster casting, etc. For example, if you increased your casting speed (and sacrificed hit to do so), you would get more spells in, but miss a few extra times (miss 7 out of 264 hits, let's say). The question is, which scenario is better? That's where something like simulationcraft comes in handy! And if you have your character built on Mr. Robot, you can export your character and gear right into their program and simulate it :)

All that being said, if I mis-understood your use for the 'damage lost' column, let me know. I can then hide in a cave for a day before admitting the robot misinterpreted a human.

Edited by Zoopercat

I can see how this stat would be confusing as ZooperCat has clearly pointed out for us. I never intended for it to be used as a guide for gearing, just another stat associated with missing. Sorry for the confusion and I may even consider removing it or changing it.

Hey Lynnk, it's not really fair... Mr. Robot is a math machine and has an unfair advantage over us humans. Do you think I did that math, ha, no... Mr. Robot dictated it to me ;)

As the parsers evolve, I think it would be extremely cool to integrate with a program like Simulationcraft. That program can tell you your theoretical max damage, and then you can compare to what you actually did with a parser. For example, SimC might tell you that you should be doing 276 hits in that fight, and if you only do 247, that means you're not using your abilities as often as you could.

Now THAT would be super-useful :)

Nah, we won't have anything like that is this next update, but it's on our 'wouldn't that be awesome' list? We also want to link up people's character gear and skills to the parser soon. The idea is if you're looking at someone else in your group and you're like 'how did he out dps me so bad?' You can at least check on his gear and skills and see if that accounts for some of it, or if you need to cast more often, etc.

And, fwiw, anyone can link the characters into their parsers since we have that api! Mr. Robot loooves sharing.

First off, I am thinking from the tank's viepoint which is "how much damage did I actually avoid".

If you take the avg DPS and multiply it by your # of misses, you get the avg dmg lost in these cases.

I seriously hope "robot's" math is better than that. You have to look at how much each individual skill misses, then average damage yield for that particular skill, then overall adjusted DPS. We all do realize it's only that free 1st-lvl attack that can miss, right?

It probably works similar for the bosses, but any melee/ranged attack can miss say because of Shadow's Combat Technique Force Breach debuff (-5% accuracy) which isn't always on.

All that being said, if I mis-understood your use for the 'damage lost' column, let me know. I can then hide in a cave for a day before admitting the robot misinterpreted a human.

It's good that you share your plans, I think everyone appreciates it and that tool will be very useful. The more open the community is, the sooner parser development converges on something making true difference in gameplay.

What I was hoping to get across is that I'm primarily concerned about not dying rather than increasing DPS (although DPS is crucial, it's my second priority). The more information I can get from every boss pull, the better. For that, I'd say key pieces are:

- skill list for each mob

- type of damage for each skill i.e. kinetic, energy, internal, external

- type of attack i.e. melee, ranged, force, technical - this prooobably can be derived heuristically with enough information, since you have enough server-wide statictics. NB: Shadow's Resilience skill completely negates all damage from Force/Tech attacks, that's one of the dead giveaways.

- breakdown of attacks missed, being parried/deflected/dodged, shielded, damage absorbed for each skill

- charts showing total damage broken down by damage type and attack type

See e.g. our tonight KP NM run: Jarg & Sorno fight, http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/dd5ab61d-5d83-4e97-9425-ff8fc80003fc#d=2,f=22,t=38

Sorno has 6 damaging skills that have different "miss%" values - some are 0, suggesting they can't be evaded or are internal tech (I don't know), some have fairly high miss percentage - but what's the drill-down? Is his damage mostly kinetic/energy or internal/elemental? Should RL put Shadow tank or Vanguard tank on Sorno based on that? When are the saves most useful, and which ones?

I really like how MOX parser now handles these statistics - exactly what I was pulling from 3 different parsers is in one place. Per-skill per-mob information regarding how many attacks missed, were parried, shielded or absorbed. It only needs some more information regarding damage / attack types, some heuristics and obviously better graphics.

Feokist, I think we agree on the lost DPS. The part you quoted is the explanation I had for 'lost DPS' calculation you pointed out. Which I continued to explain wasn't super-useful. And the author of that tool, you and I all seem to agree that isn't the best number because it's much more complicated than that. So that part is settled :)

As for the avoids and such, totally agree. Showing the breakout of info would be super useful, which we'll have soon :)

There are so many more things all these tools can do as we evolve, it will be fun to see how they all develop (including MOX, which is a great damage meter!)

Showing the breakout of info would be super useful, which we'll have soon :)

Speaking of coming soon. I did make my gear profile actually, thumbs up for making is super user-friendly! The only thing I couldn't find was crafted Rakata relic with augments. I am anxious to see how you'd implement simulation of damage difference based on gear profiles. I hope you look into both damage dealt and received.

Again, offering any help to anyone on Shadow (tanking and other) skills' and procs' names, effects and other details.

Feokist, thanks for the offer to help. I have a small list of ability names to change, I'm sure I'm still missing some.

Funny you mention the crafted relics, I just got an email from someone yesterday with the same bug report. What relics can be crit-crafted with augments? Rakata only? Or can Campaign Relics also be crit-crafted? That fix should go out with the next combat log update (early next week).

For GXR-7 Commander

http://www.comunidad-swtor.com/combatlog/logs.php?id=157&filterunit=1426904099848192

117 DPS Combined with the companion, player alone 70 DPS

http://www.comunidad-swtor.com/combatlog/logs.php?id=157&filtercombat=2356

You could share by permalink.

Couldn't merge yet (work in progress)

The user interface for the parser its spanish but we are thinking in translated to english

reads english logs only

Is has anonymous upload but its deleted in 24 hours

Is has guild management system so you could have all your guild logs together

May features:

Explore logs, combats, participants, npcs, and filter by many criterias.

Details data include damage done/taken

healing

interrupts

absorbs

avoidance

buffs

procs

energy

targets

threat

charts

rankings