New Playable Race in 1.4 (Cathar to stay or go?)

Briseius

Do i want the cathar race in swtor? yes i do, why cause its a SPECIES and its already in the game, if you say no and say because they are to humanoid or close to hummans, then you are stupid, we are like hummanoids, saying they are to simlar to us is like being racist and may as well get rid of all the other species like chis are to simular to us they have hair, they have eyes, they speak english. i agree they need to add more spicies, but if your comeing in and ranting cause the cathar is in the game well, guess what, may as well get rid of every species then and the game not be playble but as little spirit ball.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Yes

2) Because it would be balanced for both the republic and empire regarding the number of exclusive races. If Cathar is added, then 3 and 3 each side. (Mirialan, Miraluka and Cathar for The Republic) (Chiss, Rattataki and Sith Pureblood for the Empire)

3) Bothan, Mon Callamari, Quarren.

4) Yes.

5) Yes.

6) I can only say it needs variety for the aspect of the especies, as long they can speak basic language, regarding the SW universe terms.

1) Yes or No to Cathar being the new race? .... Probably wouldn't have been my first choice but I'm fine with it.

2) If Yes, why? If No, why not? .... As said by other posters 'any new race is a good thing'. For me personally this means that I would be able to romance Jogan without second thoughts :p and relive the cool trooper story from a different perspective.

3) If Yes, Species you would also like to see, if any? If No, Species you would rather see, if any? .... Well to be realistic and pick from those that are already in the game - Togruta, Rodian... but also so so many others :D

4) Do you feel Cathar are too Republic aligned to fit well as a section for the Empire? .... It would seem so on first look but they are strong, passionate & cunning by nature. Hence would be a rather good fit for any of the classes. A story to rationalize their appearance on Empirial side isn't hard to think of.

5) Do you feel Cathar like most already implemented species resemble humans to greatly? .... They do but TBH I rather like the human resemblance or at least it doesn't bother me at all.

6) Addition Pro/Cons towards or against Cathar? .... Nah, I'm sure we will see more races in due time. Regardless of what is said or done there will always be people who agree and like it and those who disagree and dislike it. So Cathar it is then and I'm happy :D

• 3 weeks later...

1) no

2) well maybe but i can't see myself as an individual going out my way to play one they seem too just be a bit more disney side then most of the other 100s of races that could be taken on board,

3) kaleesh! , jawa. Cereans - ki-adi mundis forehead ftw lol

4) yeah i feel that because of what ive seen of the cathar so far in the game i think it would be extremely rare to see a cathar joining the imps

5) i don't mind all the humanoid style races to be fair races like the chiss still look awesome , how ever i am curious to see if the developers are going to show off with some different styles of races like geonosians

6) i don't really see any cons with it i mean each to their own on whos going to play as one , as a pro as its been said above you get that bit more variety, though still want to see some playable kaleesh and cereans haha

1) Yes or No to Cathar being the new race?

I would very much enjoy Cathar as a playable race, its not the race I would pick but yes I accept.

2) If Yes, why? If No, why not?

Why? cause I want more races, and Cathars are fine. You take up wow and pandas, I won't be playing that expansion, but Pandas are big in lore in Warcraft, and they should have been there from the start, demographics aside.

3) If Yes, Species you would also like to see, if any? If No, Species you would rather see, if any?

I would like to see Wookiees, but I would hate to listen to the horrible moans all day playing as them. Also I think the Cathars will be exclusive to the republic (with the ability to unlock them for every class). So I guess a potential second playable race will be something which would be natural to make only available to the empire.

4) Do you feel Cathar are too Republic aligned to fit well as a section for the Empire?

yes, but only until you reach level 50 with a cathar or unlock it in the cartel shop

5) Do you feel Cathar like most already implemented species resemble humans to greatly?

No comment, cause it fits the lore.

6) Addition Pro/Cons towards or against Cathar?

Pro: good race to implement

Con: There are probably more called for races that would be better to implement, but i am content with cathars

1) No

2) Because like Panda's in WoW, Cats in my opinion draw in a certain target demographic i personally don't wish to see more of - no offense to the cat lovers out there O.o

3) Togruta (Ashara), or Nautolan (Big Eyed, Squid head people)

4) Yes, seeing as Cather are view negatively on the Empire Taris missions, it make little sense to be available for play

5) One big concern i have is all the playable races are far to human in structure, Selonians would be a cool change of pace.

6) My biggest concern is only implementing one species that all in all doesn't feel to fit into the empire collaboration very well, 2 faction specific species (legacy unlock-able) would feel more lore orientated.

This is pretty much my opinion too.

• 3 weeks later...

1) Yes or No to Cathar being the new race? Yes

2) If Yes, why? If No, why not? It would be simple to add them as playable, they were already promised to the community, and the Star Wars galaxy is a place of vast racial diversity, therefore more character options can only be a positive thing.

3) If Yes, Species you would also like to see, if any? If No, Species you would rather see, if any? I would like to see Cyborg made into a customization option for all playable races. I would also like to see Yoda's Species as playable, a Mandalorian Race, Wookies, Jawa, Droids, and Voss.

4) Do you feel Cathar are too Republic aligned to fit well as a section for the Empire? Not at All. It can easily be tied to a defector faction, after all.

5) Do you feel Cathar like most already implemented species resemble humans to greatly? I feel it's the personality of the race that attracts me rather than the appearance.

6) Addition Pro/Cons towards or against Cathar? Adding Cathar adds to the range of options a player has in making a character that they really enjoy, everyone has different preferences and attracting more people can only be good for the game.

1) NO!!!

2) A traditional SW species would be far more accepted, as Cathar are more BW than SW.

3) I'd rather see Wookie, Trandoshan, Rodian, any traditional race

4) Do you feel Cathar are too Republic aligned to fit well as a section for the Empire?

5) Do you feel Cathar like most already implemented species resemble humans to greatly? Absolutely

6) Addition Pro/Cons towards or against Cathar? Race is fine as a side line character, but Cathar is more BW than SW. I prefer SW traditional races....why? Because they're SW, not BW

As I pointed out with some time ago in the thread.. the issue with the races the last too posters want is not that they aren't good I like those races too.. but most if not all of the races mentioned seldomly speak basic.

Which would be BW big issue... now if it was just a skin like they will do with Cathar then this wouldn't be an issue..

But remember voice acting is a BIG sell point for BW and TOR

1) Yes or No to Cathar being the new race?

No.

2) If Yes, why? If No, why not?

There are still many species which I'd love to see added. So many, that adding Cathar before (if at all, considering how many other races players want to see) other races, which are far more popular among fans, would be wrong.

3) If Yes, Species you would also like to see, if any? If No, Species you would rather see, if any?

Togrutas. More than anything. I'd give away my force-sensitivity.

Overall, I really want to see only Togrutas added, that would be more than enough for me.

1. Togrutas

edit: Oh, Wow, just read an article about Voss and Gormak. They look absolutely amazing.

2.Voss

3. Nautolan

4.Gormak

Lore- yes. But it wouldn't be weird seeing them in the empire.

5) Do you feel Cathar like most already implemented species resemble humans to greatly?

Well, most of the races, which I'd like to see playable/ which already are- do resemble humans a lot and I do not consider that an issue.

6) Addition Pro/Cons towards or against Cathar?

No cons. It is catmen, afterall! :3

Edited by imehiel
+voss

1) Yes

2) Because they're cool species, and seen quite a bit in the game.

3) I'd like to see Weequay, Togruta, Nautolan, Voss, and Kaleesh.

4) Not really. There have been a few cases where Cathar have been Imperial, And Cathar should definitely be available to Bounty Hunters.

5) They do need a fix-up.

6) Cathar are an interesting species that were created for SWTOR. This species should be available to players. Cathar could become so popular that it's used for other Star Wars stuff.

• 1 month later...

Latest news on Cathar ;

SWTOR-RP: Roleplayers are always excited to expand their storytelling horizons with new challenges, and we look forward to new ways to do that with such additions to the species like the Cathar. Will there ever be a chance to add other species with the Cartel Market or other means?

Damion Schubert: The answer to this is pretty astonishingly simple – if the Cathar do well, more species will be high on our priority list. If not, this will be a lower priority for us. We definitely have other species that we would like to do, and we’re well aware of the ones the fans consider the most desired. That being said, creating a new player species is a huge amount of work – just because you see NPCs in the game of your favored species, that doesn’t mean it’s anywhere near ready to go. Player species needs art created in a certain way to be customizable, and all of those customization options need to be built to work together. Some races have unique problems in terms of how the art interacts with their worn gear. All that being said, we want to do more, and we are very hopeful that the Cathar proves that there is an appetite for the content that justifies the work.

Which is what I think we all knew. Personally I am not sure if I trust them or if this is a way to get people who want other species to buy a species they dont want so hopefully they might release another species and as Cathar seem to have taken 6 months+ to come out even if we all purchase them might be another 6 months+ before we see the next species.

• 3 weeks later...

1) Yes!

2) Aric Jorgan in one of my favorite companions and I would like to continue my legacy with cathar children as Aric the father. Also the Cathar are a interesting species so learning about there heritage would be cool

3) Other species I would like to see are Wookies. I've heard rumors about the new star movies coming out with Disney with Chubaka's nephew as a Jedi so it wouldn't be just a smuggler race and a trooper Wookies would be neat.

4) In a way the Cathar do seem a bit mor Republic aligned but I think if you ad the right features to design your cathar as a Sith it would make up for it

5) I do not find the cathar to be to much like humans. If you do it's like saying a twi'lek is like a human. In my opinion the are enough of a seperate allian than the human

6) Please don't not make the cathar!!! My legacy would be perfect if you made them! Aric jorgan is going to be my companion I have romance with and it would be so cool of I could add Chathar children to the legacy! They are a cool race you see all over the game and I think if you add the right features when making a Sith cathar they would be really cool.

1) Yes

2) I already have a character planned

3) I would love Wookies, jawas, or yoda's race, sadly it just wouldn't work out. (with the lattermost though, it would be amazing to finally get some real info on Yoda's people)

4) Possibly, but Imperial Intelligence and Zash have shown pragmatism in who they recruit. Bounty hunters, well, we see a Cathar Bounty hunter in the BH storyline. Not like there's a rigid structure and and hierarchy of bounty hunters to discriminate.

5) Truthfully, yes, but this is a problem with the Star Wars universe in general. George Lucas isn't honestly known for his originality, and when most of the verse was developed, they had technical limitations to consider.

6) Attracting Catgirl RPer types, but really, what would they do that Twi'lek girls don't? So it's a non-issue.

Why is it that this thread, which holds a much more constructive outlook on the Cathar thing is being overlooked in favor of a much more base one that just immediately shoots down the idea and has the OP propose they know what the entire playerbase wants?

Anyway though, bumping this.