Merc or Commando for healing? Any differences?

FrostTrooper

I just came back and I'm going to start a new character and decided to go the healer/dps route. I've been gone for about 9 months so I'm just going to start from scratch. I've narrowed my choices down to a Merc or Commando healer but I'm having trouble trying to decide which route to go. I'm not a big pvp'er so that doesn't need to be a deciding factor. I'm more looking for an Op/FP healer (or DPS if needed) type character.

I'm not really looking for a "which is best" type discussion. I'm more looking for the differences between the two, if any. Playstyle, healing method, difficulty to play, effectiveness. That type of stuff.

Time isn't exactly something I have in bunches, so the character I go with will be it for the foreseeable future, which is why I'm here.

Thanks in advance.

Thats REALLY disappointing :(. I have a Sage already that I suppose I could go back to, but seeing as I've been gone for 9 months I thought I would start fresh (at least at first) and relearn my character.

A lvl 50 playing like a noob in a FP/Op is unacceptable IMO, which is why I'm starting over.

Mercenary's animations are better suited to DPS than healing imo. Always imagined Jango Fett as someone who'd shoot rockets and blaster bolts from afar rather than dropping green goop everywhere. I'm very fond of the healing animations for the Commando, although some may find the giant green laser beam to be a "KILL ME" sign in PvP.

Welp, I'm gonna throw in my noob experience on my merc healer (just level 33, first character). I've only done the flashpoints/heroics as I level, but I've only had a couple of deaths in my teams, and that from just not knowing what to expect (the tank and I stood in the fire in one case, LOL). Under normal circumstances everyone finishes a fight at or near full health. I don't have trouble dealing with either pulling aggro myself (Kolto Overload is awesome as a last resort if your tank/team don't notice you getting creamed) or healing DPS who pull aggro, and I almost always get complimented for my healing.

I haven't gotten a chance to try out Kolto Shell yet in a group, so that's yet another tool that's great for the tank or to swap to a DPS that's suddenly taking heavy fire. Now, there may be situations in harder content that really make one healing style superior, but as long as you manage your resources properly (kolto missile is huge for this, at least for me, I use only this on DPS that have taken a little damage or if the tank hasn't lost significant health between rapid fires), merc healing has been a breeze so far. The trick seems to be to ... use as few of your direct heals as possible, lol. I know that sounds weird but if you can get by without using them, your heat levels will thank you. Rapid Fire ('free" healing that amounts to a HoT) and Kolto Missile are my bread and butter. Prioritize Healing Scan over Rapid Scan, particularly with Supercharged Gas which removes the cooldown on Healing Scan for a bit. That's my "oh crap" button.

EDIT: I should also add that I only PUG, so the teams have been a mixed bag of noobs like me and experienced people. No voice chat etc. I can't compare the two styles, but I hope I've at least given you an idea of what the healing style seems to be on merc. :) And I kinda like Kolto Missile animation, lol. Pretty mint green cloud P:

Edited by Sarielle

Mercenary's animations are better suited to DPS than healing imo. Always imagined Jango Fett as someone who'd shoot rockets and blaster bolts from afar rather than dropping green goop everywhere. I'm very fond of the healing animations for the Commando, although some may find the giant green laser beam to be a "KILL ME" sign in PvP.

I couldn't agree more with this assessment. And until recently, merc heal shots would drive me up the wall. THWCK THWCK THWCK THWCK AHHHHHH!

I find commando healing to be far more pleasing to the senses.