RIP orbital strike

Murder_Toys

3000damage. Silly Orbital Warship Support! :p

Bioware, pls, undo this change...

My single target parses show an almost flat 5% single target DPS loss as MM if you use OS on CD, someone mentioned it doesn't matter if you OS or Snipe in that GCD. Kinda funny/wrong/mental that _ORBITAL_ strike does less damage than "peeeeew".. So, why should I not play Hybrid spec?

Here's the kicker, a long time ago, in this very game... wait for it... it was announced that hybrids was a BAD! ..wait for it.. So, recently they buffed critical chance 12% to Interrogation probe.. waaait for it... on a level 4 skill in the Lethality tree, for an Engineer Level 3 skill.

wat.

Sorry.. had to get this out of my system :confused:

Edited by Svii

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really have a problem with nerfing Orbital Strike, but the way they're going about it is an absolute farce. How about just removing one tick instead? It'd deal half the damage it does now on single targets but would still be a useful AoE ability since weak adds tend to die quite quickly anyway. And most importantly, each hit would still feel powerful.

The developers seem to have forgotten that the strongest AoE abilities of every other class are either instant or 3s channels. Orbital Strike needs to be more powerful as long as it deals its damage over such a long time.

Edited by Gondolindhrim

The developers seem to have forgotten that the strongest AoE abilities of every other class are either instant or 3s channels. Orbital Strike needs to be more powerful as long as it deals its damage over such a long time.

I'm pvp orientated so no pve gear. That's the kicker isn't it? For me it's around 3.3K - 3.4K and that's over 12 secs?....lol really? When you work out how much damage that is per tic....in pvp.....? Yup we have a new definition of useless :)

It's not even used as an interrupt for engineering snipers...plasma probe anyone? :)

I'm pvp orientated so no pve gear. That's the kicker isn't it? For me it's around 3.3K - 3.4K and that's over 12 secs?....lol really? When you work out how much damage that is per tic....in pvp.....? Yup we have a new definition of useless :)

It's not even used as an interrupt for engineering snipers...plasma probe anyone? :)

Exactly, the damage per tick is far, far too weak on the PTS right now. Removing one tick from the base ability would be much better both in terms of practicality and visual appeal (it's just downright ridiculous that an orbital bombardment deals less damage per hit than Snipe).

This is totally going to kill snipers in Solo Ranked....

Sure they keep saying that you can't change things in pvp that affect pve, but the other way around its ok?

Since when are people that dumb to stay in your flyby in solo ranked PvP? A melee dps who stands in flyby has a deathwish I assume.

That having said, I dont run melee dps in PvP myself so maybe its better to stay inside and eat the damage. My own guts would tell me to break off, LOS and/or seek out another target.

Since when are people that dumb to stay in your flyby in solo ranked PvP? A melee dps who stands in flyby has a deathwish I assume.

That having said, I dont run melee dps in PvP myself so maybe its better to stay inside and eat the damage. My own guts would tell me to break off, LOS and/or seek out another target.

Never. :) Cuz for snipers orbital strike is mostly defensive skill i.e. cast on himself! And now its pointless... :(

Here are some logs I just completed running the Hybrid. 20min run on the Dummy.

http://www.torparse.com/a/549317

Yep pathetic showing from OS. Every other attack, Grenade, Snipe (w/ Laze), Ambush, Explosive Probe hitting well above.

It seemed like Frag grenades were "cheaper"? Spammed alot of those. Also they fixed the GCD issues where AbilityActivate was not registering sometimes. 2.5.3 will fix that. Never missed a Cull.

-J:cool:

Edited by Mythurin

I give negative amounts of ****s about this nerf

Maybe it'll finally kill hybrid, that it was competitive at all outside of heavy aoe situations was stupid

Marks is still fine, leth is still fine, gimmick wallbang spec is still gimmick.

CRY MORE 2PC PVP SCRUBLORD RAIDERS, ORBITAL CAN'T CARRY YOUR BADNESS ANYMORE, BLOO BLOO

You sound mad. Never manage to get good at hybrid or something?

Never. :) Cuz for snipers orbital strike is mostly defensive skill i.e. cast on himself! And now its pointless... :(

This.

And tbh i get loads of ppl that stand in my orbital for 2reasons.

1. They wanna kill me that badly.

2. They dont realize its range (and dmg)

You sound mad. Never manage to get good at hybrid or something?

No, I just think hybrids shouldn't be viable, nor were they designed to (according to bioware's philosophy). IMHO an aoe spec should not be pulling amazing numbers single target, that's all

You sound mad that I am ridiculing hybrid. ;)

P.S. I may or may not run it on corrupter zero :rolleyes:

Edited by Beslley

when TOR was about to Launch and ive seen all the class vids. i did choose Imperial Agent Sniper as the 1st toon i roll just because of the awesomeness from OS in the Video....

i had so many laughs with that loveley ability. never thought capped PvPer would be so freaking stupid and stay in an Bombardement untill it Ends :D

R.I.P. Orbital Strike ive had my fair bit of fun with you past 2 years

and thank you EaAware for makeing it an funny Disco Show. now we can entertain the entire WZ/raid even in combat...

Edited by rlionherz

Maybe it'll finally kill hybrid, that it was competitive at all outside of heavy aoe situations was stupid

Marks is still fine, leth is still fine, gimmick wallbang spec is still gimmick.

CRY MORE 2PC PVP SCRUBLORD RAIDERS, ORBITAL CAN'T CARRY YOUR BADNESS ANYMORE, BLOO BLOO

Is it sad that I'm just letting that repeat and singing it?

If i were a pvper i'd love the changes. Orbital strike spam on the nodes, it'll be impossible to cap novare mid with all the snipers and operative healers cycling their orbitals. short cast time, lower cooldown..

If you are a pver.. well they nerfedd this because they want to get rid of Hybrids and move people back to full Lethality. 2 Hybrid specs were killed in the PTS.. Vanguard Hybrid and Sniper Hybrid. This is a smart move and will probably help them balance Marksman and Full Lethality better/easier. And there's Engineering as well.

Edited by paowee

Too bad that the spec that suffers the most from the nerf is Marksmanship. The hybrid will be fine. They can just cast SoS or Ambush instead to help make back some of that ST damage. Indeed you were always using Orbital in place of something else. I daresay that a SoS > Ambush (possibly with 20% more armor pen if the AoE Crit multiplier talent is now worthless) will go a long way to making up the damage from an Orbital plus two Rifle Shots. Putting those things back in won't be that big of a deal. A nerf but a small nerf for their ST rotations. For Marksmanship it was actually filling a hole in the rotation (the extra GCD you have during a SV window due to the 12s cooldown of SoS). Now they've taken it out, but what are we going to put in its place? Explosive Probe I suppose.

Honestly I don't get why people say this killed the Sniper Hybrid.

Now Paowee I think you're being hopelessly optimistic when it comes to them balancing the other specs. Maybe it will give them time, but it's going to be months and months for them to get around to fixing the specs and properly balancing them.

In order to nerf the Hybrid they needed to move cluster bombs, or the energy gain from detonating them at least, way up the tree, or give the class stances and tie Cull to the Lethality stance and tie Cluster Bombs to the Engineering stance. That would kill the Hybrid dead. This change will hurt it a little, but will hurt Marksmanship way more.

Edited by ArchangelLBC

As a Marksman PvP sniper who mostly plays Solo Ranked and the off normal wz to get dailies and them medpacks/adrenals I can say we're pretty much screwed now. Orbital strike should be almost solely used on yourself when you start off the fight and continue to be agressive by rolling in the group and cast it on yourself entrenched in the middle if you survive long enough. Those tactics scared players off for a moment making them taking slower decisions.

Now they will laugh at you when you pull your first orbital and start wailing on you giggling at your ticklish beam from space.

For PvP Ranked this has been a huge nerf.

Happy (or sorry) to say that with VERY little testing on pts (and on 500k dummy) hybrid and mm are still going strong, with orbital in rotation. Used 4 pve setbonus.

Parses

MM with OS - 3204

MM no OS - 2765 (almost 10% lower crit than one with OS)

Leth with OS - 3067

Leth no OS - 3127

Hybrid with OS - 3265

Hybrid no OS - 3065

here is link to torparse if someone want to look. http://www.torparse.com/a/550197

the thing is that now OS is so called energy free, so in hybrid you can continue normal rotation without having to use rifle shot.

Edited by ontee

Happy (or sorry) to say that with VERY little testing on pts (and on 500k dummy) hybrid and mm are still going strong, with orbital in rotation. Used 4 pve setbonus.

Parses

MM with OS - 3204

MM no OS - 2765 (almost 10% lower crit than one with OS)

Leth with OS - 3067

Leth no OS - 3127

Hybrid with OS - 3265

Hybrid no OS - 3065

here is link to torparse if someone want to look. http://www.torparse.com/a/550197

the thing is that now OS is so called energy free, so in hybrid you can continue normal rotation without having to use rifle shot.

Interesting. Hmm im assuming no one is going to farm for the 4pc pvp set bonus? the MS loss is pretty big. or is it stil worth it?

In order to nerf the Hybrid they needed to move cluster bombs, or the energy gain from detonating them at least, way up the tree, or give the class stances and tie Cull to the Lethality stance and tie Cluster Bombs to the Engineering stance. That would kill the Hybrid dead. This change will hurt it a little, but will hurt Marksmanship way more.

Kill hybrids and remove cooldown AoEs from single target rotation XD. like how mercs/vgs use mortar volley only when there are multiple targets. im on pts right now and trying to find a way to make MM less , "random". right now random GCDs pop out in weird spots of the rotation. maybe that's one thing we'll have to get used to.

Edited by paowee