Gaining affection with your ally's

Roughneck

Gifts, specifically Luxury and Technology gifts. Barring that, you've got to remember that Tharan is a coward, has a great distaste for the Force or destroying any kind of technology, whether it could be used for evil purposes or not. To keep Tharan happy, you've pretty much got to abandon the persona of the Jedi Mystic and become something closer to the pragmatic, scientific mind that Tharan espouses. If you don't wanna do that, just bribe the bejeebus out of him with the aforementioned companion gifts (that's what I did).

Tharan also loves it when you flirt with women if you're a male character, but if you're a female character, just be extra nice to the other lady NPCs you meet and he'll approve.

He also likes it when you accept rewards, not because he's greedy but because he likes good deals. If you get someone to give you a reward without actually helping them, he loves that too.

Edited by jypsostarchaser

Is the droid a good companion for healing? Let's say I don't want to use Therax, can I use the droid of my ship for healing? =)

No, he's not. Even if you gear him up, he can't equip a weapon or offhand item, which means that he's missing a *massive* amount of tech power so his heals will always be worse than what they should be, not to mention that it's almost impossible to find gear for him from quests after Taris, made even more annoying by the fact that, as a droid, a vast majority of the gear you *do* see for him will be itemized for a tank, rather than a healer.

No, he's not. Even if you gear him up, he can't equip a weapon or offhand item, which means that he's missing a *massive* amount of tech power so his heals will always be worse than what they should be, not to mention that it's almost impossible to find gear for him from quests after Taris, made even more annoying by the fact that, as a droid, a vast majority of the gear you *do* see for him will be itemized for a tank, rather than a healer.

So Therax is the healer companion for the Shadow/Sage? Bleh, he doesn't fit my story at all, being a coward, accepting rewards and such ><

Thanks for the reply mate!!

dismiss your pet before turning in the quest?

Actually, you have to dismiss your companion before doing any conversation that could drop their affection and, even then, I've experienced situations where, even when dismissed, the companion you had active previous counts as being there even if they were dismissed. The only way to assure that the relevant companion doesn't get counted is to summon a different companion that doesn't have a problem with your choices.

The only way to assure that the relevant companion doesn't get counted is to summon a different companion that doesn't have a problem with your choices.

C2-N2 never makes value judgements. =)

Incidentally. Your healer "pet"'s name is Tharan Cedrax. Not Therax.

Here's what I noticed about my crew:

Qyzen: He's very religious and devoted to the way of Madame Scorekeeper. So first of all, respect his faith. You don;t need to understand it, just respect it (I did lose points with him for calling "what the hell hero" on his collection of Wookiee pelts, though). He's rebuilding a lifetime's worth of "score" with Her, so he will love it if you volunteer to hunt dangerous and nasty wildlife. The more dangerous the prey, the more numerous the critters, or (conversely) a very rare and highly lethal creature? He's there with bells on. He dislikes it if you do someone's hunting for them, but if you even the odds so that the weaker party can have a more level playing field and the hunters have to work harder? Yeah, he likes that too. He also believes in honorable behavior - not nice, but honorable. The Esseles run? He likes saving the engineers because they proposed a challenge instead of taking the easy route. He also likes tipping off Asara to the first officer's proposal, but then making sure not to leave her behind. Only honorable that she know the truth, after all. He also doesn't like thugs or crime gangs for the same reason the guy going out hunting with a crossbow to hunt bear thinks the guy bringing an assault rifle to hunt rabbit is a pansy - there's no challenge in bullying weak and small prey. Letting powerful enemies live also tends to be a downer for him - unless they're the plague-addled masters. Lastly, he REALLY thinks fondly of Master Yuon. Being respectful and dutiful to her nets you brownie points.

Gifts: Get him weaponry (all the better to hunt with), Military Gear (again, it's useful), or Underworld goods (even bigger prey!) Don't bother with luxury (he won't know what to do with it) or trophy (he'll get his own)

Tharan: The fellow prides himself on being a scientist, a gentleman, and a product of Nar Shaddaa - in that order. A good way to think about how he sees things - he has scoured the galaxy for exotic and dangerous technology. Along the way, he probably ran across some cargo cults where the "experts" turned out to be silly priests worshiping alien tech. He doesn't think much of the Force because the only ones who know anything about it are Jedi spouting Ice Cream Koans or bats--t nuts Sith foaming at the mouth about "POWER!" There's a whole, incredible field of science he would love to analyze wit his instruments and logic, but he wasn't (un) fortunate enough to have a high midichlorine count, so he's locked out of it! He's cautious about risking his neck - there were a lot of ways to die on Nar Shaddaa, after all, but he might make an exception for pretty girls or scientists caught in a crossfire. His weakness is scientific research; the more untested, exotic, unethical, or outright insane it is, the more he wants to keep it. He's big on sentients being bad and knowledge being neutral. Don't bring him if you're going to blow up that shiny WMD. On the other hand, proposing ways to solve a situation that does not involve drawing weapons or taking up a high muckety-muck on a luxurious dinner and use of the guest wing will totally make him happy.

Gifts: Luxury (he's a fop and totally shameless about it), or Technology (shiny toys to play with).

Zenith: The fellow's a bit of a cipher to me so far. He's paranoid in ways that would befit the cast of X-Files and responds favorably if you think he's justified. Definitely not a nice guy. Frankly, being screwed over by the Republic and the Imperials makes him unfriendly to everyone, though the Republic (via you) is trying to redeem itself, and he REALLY hates the Imperials more. Remember their policy towards Twi'leks? Yeah. The Republic is a MUCH better deal between the two evils. He's like Qyzen in that he likes dangerous, dirty, hands-on work. And if it kicks the Imperials in the shebs? BONUS! No, he does not give a pile of ossik about civilian casualties - an Imperial soldier, civilian, or collaborator are all the same to him. The way he probably wants to die is on Dromund Kaas with a nuclear bomb detonator in one hand and a blaster in the other, taking about half the capitol with him.

Gifts: Imperial memorabilia (for the same reason Thawn had an art collection; know your enemy), weaponry (all the better to send the Imps to hell)

Lt. Iresso: The guy is WAY too cheerful for all the crap he's been through. Textbook Neutral Good; he'd rather do what's right than bother with hierarchy and protocol (he got in dutch with Trooper companion Jorgan over that one). Good ways to rack up points with him is to help out Republic military with the dangerous and dirty jobs no one else wants to do, or to be merciful to someone who's down and surrendered. He's one of those fellows who wants to believe the Republic are the good guys, so behave like one and you'll get everywhere with him.

Gifts: Trophies (maybe he liked hunting wampa when he was stuck on Hoth?), weaponry, or luxuries. A female Consular courting him also can give him courting presents.

Nadia Grell: I haven't recruited her in my game yet, so I'm going off what I've seen of her so far and what she's like in other people's parties. Being the Tron geek I am, she reminds me a bit of Quorra. Nadia hero-worships you. She thinks you're brave and strong and good - don't screw it up. She's your Padawan. Set a good example of what Jedi should be and she'll be all too happy to follow. She likes mercy and kindness, and light side actions...but she also has those powers of hers that she's just learning how to control (instead of them controlling her), and she's itching to put those to work. Give her a big galaxy and the opportunity to use her Force abilities for good, and you'll do fine.

Gifts: She loves Cultural artifacts (she's new to the galaxy and EVERYTHING'S fascinating to her), Republic memorabilia (again, new to the galaxy and the Republic), Underworld Goods (again, big new galaxy), and male consulars who want to romance her can give her courting gifts.