Mercenary to Powertech question!

Swaaggger

Thanks, I have just been having a tough time so far (only started up a week ago).

I have a 26 Sith Assassin and 19 BH Mercenary - I started out liking them, then the more experience I get... the more I find them lacking (or at least for me).

If I create a PT.. I have read that Pyro is the way to go for PvE. Is that also the PvP spec that people are claiming is very good?

Play what is fun, not what is "good right now" because as soon as PT gets hit with the nerf stick, people are going to lose their....stomachs. and that's drama you are not going to want to deal with.

People keep saying things like that, how often are these classes getting nerfed that severely?

Yes pyro is good for pvp and does ok for normal and HM flashpoints but dont expect to do a bunch of endgame ops as they are not wanted. On a side note, everyone thinks PTs are overpowered in pvp because of high burst damage but we are still one of the worst classes for objectives because of lack of utility.

Yes pyro is good for pvp and does ok for normal and HM flashpoints but dont expect to do a bunch of endgame ops as they are not wanted. On a side note, everyone thinks PTs are overpowered in pvp because of high burst damage but we are still one of the worst classes for objectives because of lack of utility.

^ Don't listen to this guy.

Both PT and Merc are good for endgame PVE, but Merc is not the greatest for PVP.

Play what is fun, not what is "good right now" because as soon as PT gets hit with the nerf stick, people are going to lose their....stomachs. and that's drama you are not going to want to deal with.

you do realize they've been nerfed at least 3 times now, it's very doubtful it'll happen again.

Merc's are very good in PVE in their Arsenal Spec from leveling all the way to NiM EC(top pve dps is mara,sniper,powertech,then merc but they are all very close) as for PvP save yourself the headache and use your sin or roll a powertech.

Mercs are one of the best PvE classes. I heard they dont fare well in ranked PvP, but thats the only "real" criticism i heard. Unlike PTs, they get two CCs (one humanoid and one droid) which allows them to easily solo PvE content. When geared correctly, they do insane damage.

I persoanlly play a PT for the tank tree. However, there are many times i wish i made my main tank an assassin and went up the merc tree for the rdps and healing options. PT dps shines much more in PvP then PvE... The lack of any CCs can really be an issue at times when soloing. Also, the AP tree is kinda of worthless leaving only pyro and shield tech as viable options. I've played all the trees extensively and what you lose with AP in damage is not made up with what you get in mobility... And flamethrower (which is the AP main damage dealer) is truely worthless in PvP unless you can convince people to stand still while you channel your FT.

Furthermore, aside from the pyro's PvP advantages, if you want to do melee dps, marauders and assassins are much better choices.

Just my two cents :)

everyone thinks PTs are overpowered in pvp because of high burst damage but we are still one of the worst classes for objectives because of lack of utility.

Good try :) Next time don't say "we" when referring to Powertechs!! (it gives it away)

I think this is the first ever PT post claiming that they are "one of the worst classes for objectives"