The Latest Developer Gaff, This Time with SGR in ROTHC

DarkIntelligence

Let me preface this by saying that I never really cared much for this feature, simply because I feel there are other much more important aspects of the game that are in desperate need of attention, but it was a fairly simply thing to implement and it seemed to make a lot of people happy so fine.

It almost seemed as though it would be impossible for BW to get this wrong, especially with their background of implementing similar features in their other games, but lo and behold, yet another gaff!

When I first read on Dulfy, as I am sure many others did, what basically amounted to: the Empire gets the gay NPCs while the Republic has dibs on the lesbian ones, I had a face-palm moment. I mean the whole idea is so ridiculous it would be impossible to read it and not have a knee-jerk reaction. That being said, it is fairly obvious what the line of thinking behind this was i.e. if you want to experience both types of SGR you have to play both sides (pun intended, couldn’t resist) :jawa_angel:. Again obvious, but wow what an awkward way to go about it…

The sheer hilarity of this aside, in of itself it really isn’t that big of a deal. Unfortunately, it is emblematic of a much larger problem that has plagued this game since launch. That problem is that similar blunders, and many on a much more colossal scale, have occurred in just about every other aspect of the game with, perhaps, the individual class storylines as the sole exception. That, however, is little comfort as it becomes more and more evident that those storylines were a one-hit-wonder, likely never to be seen again. It is almost as though little or no thought at all is being put into making decisions about this game.

Now I fully understand that the people financing this industry are so afraid of losing a single dime that they have put the squeeze on developers, and the whole thing sickens me, truly, but that is no excuse of continuously making these idiotic decisions. What’s worse this rampant poor decision making is leeching the lifeblood of the game: the players. How can you expect them to have faith in your product when you yourselves don’t have enough of it to stand up for the right decisions?

Lastly let me say that I am writing this as a critique only in part, mostly I just want to finally see some sanity from the developers and have them finally tap into the full potential this game still has in spite of all the mud it has been dragged through.

How do you know it is a gaff, per se?? Because you say so?

It is more likely a compromise of effort and resources vs time. They commited to SGR and need to include it. But they lacked the time and resources (vs the ROTHC release window) to do SGR equally on both factions. It's also uncharted waters for the MMO so it makes sense that this first release is just that... a first release to test and see how it works before investing heaviliy into it in future patches.

Anyone that has ever run large development projects would know the above statements by me make complete and practical sense in real world development.

AND ..... AND they said that future content would be more balanced between factions on SGR.

You = making mountain out of molehill IMO.

When I first read on Dulfy, as I am sure many others did, what basically amounted to: the Empire gets the gay NPCs while the Republic has dibs on the lesbian ones, I had a face-palm moment.

Could you provide a link?

Because I did not see anything like this on dulfy.

Otherwise you are simply lying or a troll (or both).

Edited by Arutar

Otherwise you are simply lying or a troll (or both).

No... he is not lying or trolling... he is just creating his own personal snowflurry when there was already an existing thread on this topic here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=615745

Why he needed his own thread ... I have no Idea. I guess so he could use the word "gaff". :p

Funny how you make a distinction between gay and lesbian.

Let me preface this by saying that I never really cared much for this feature, simply because I feel there are other much more important aspects of the game that are in desperate need of attention, but it was a fairly simply thing to implement and it seemed to make a lot of people happy so fine.

It almost seemed as though it would be impossible for BW to get this wrong, especially with their background of implementing similar features in their other games, but lo and behold, yet another gaff!

When I first read on Dulfy, as I am sure many others did, what basically amounted to: the Empire gets the gay NPCs while the Republic has dibs on the lesbian ones, I had a face-palm moment. I mean the whole idea is so ridiculous it would be impossible to read it and not have a knee-jerk reaction. That being said, it is fairly obvious what the line of thinking behind this was i.e. if you want to experience both types of SGR you have to play both sides (pun intended, couldn’t resist) :jawa_angel:. Again obvious, but wow what an awkward way to go about it…

The sheer hilarity of this aside, in of itself it really isn’t that big of a deal. Unfortunately, it is emblematic of a much larger problem that has plagued this game since launch. That problem is that similar blunders, and many on a much more colossal scale, have occurred in just about every other aspect of the game with, perhaps, the individual class storylines as the sole exception. That, however, is little comfort as it becomes more and more evident that those storylines were a one-hit-wonder, likely never to be seen again. It is almost as though little or no thought at all is being put into making decisions about this game.

Now I fully understand that the people financing this industry are so afraid of losing a single dime that they have put the squeeze on developers, and the whole thing sickens me, truly, but that is no excuse of continuously making these idiotic decisions. What’s worse this rampant poor decision making is leeching the lifeblood of the game: the players. How can you expect them to have faith in your product when you yourselves don’t have enough of it to stand up for the right decisions?

Lastly let me say that I am writing this as a critique only in part, mostly I just want to finally see some sanity from the developers and have them finally tap into the full potential this game still has in spite of all the mud it has been dragged through.

http://dulfy.net/2013/03/26/swtor-makeb-macrobinoculars-and-seeker-droids-preview/

Makeb is also the first planet in SWTOR with same sex romance options with quest NPCs. Players can expect female to female flirt options on the Republic side and male to male flirt options on the Empire side for the Makeb storyline.. Empire players can also expect a small female to female flirt option in the Macrobinocular quest (Republic players may have a male to male to flirt option here as well).

Well, everybody's different, but personally I prefer being referred to as lesbian rather than gay, which I see as originally meaning men who are attracted to other men.

In a way, 'gay' is often used a bit like the word 'man' which basically means males, but is often (and annoyingly) used to mean 'the human race'.

Edited by markcymru

How do you know it is a gaff, per se?? Because you say so?

It is more likely a compromise of effort and resources vs time. They commited to SGR and need to include it. But they lacked the time and resources (vs the ROTHC release window) to do SGR equally on both factions. It's also uncharted waters for the MMO so it makes sense that this first release is just that... a first release to test and see how it works before investing heaviliy into it in future patches.

Anyone that has ever run large development projects would know the above statements by me make complete and practical sense in real world development.

AND ..... AND they said that future content would be more balanced between factions on SGR.

You = making mountain out of molehill IMO.

Yes, it is because I say so... it's called an opinion. And I am not sure what you are disagreeing with, because I clearly said that I found it was obvious why this was done (like you say for practical reasons), but found it awkward...again just my opinion. Also I am not making a mountain out of a molehill, in fact just the opposite, again I clearly said that this issue in of itself was not a big deal, but that it was just the latest in a long string of such issues and THAT is the problem.

Why wouldn't I? As far as things that are polar opposites go this is about as polar as it gets lol. Joke aside, I know plenty of gays and lesbians and from my experience they certainly want to make that distinction. Like someone already pointed out referring to all homosexual people as "gay" is the same as using the word "man" to refer to all humans, a linguistic fault that happens to be prevalent in the English language (i.e. woMAN, huMAN, MANkind, etc.).

Perceptive. 'Gay' has a negative connotation in society. 'Lesbian' does not.

Words do not have connotations, people perceive them, which by the way is very revealing. That being said if you are correct and this was done on purpose (meaning that because the Empire is "evil" it gets the gay NPCs and because the Republic is "good" it gets the lesbian ones), then that's just sad on so many levels...talk about a gaff.

Why wouldn't I? As far as things that are polar opposites go this is about as polar as it gets lol. Joke aside, I know plenty of gays and lesbians and from my experience they certainly want to make that distinction. Like someone already pointed out referring to all homosexual people as "gay" is the same as using the word "man" to refer to all humans, a linguistic fault that happens to be prevalent in the English language (i.e. woMAN, huMAN, MANkind, etc.).

I always wonder why people complain about the english language, yet keep speaking it. It's not like you're not required to learn a second language in school. Speak it.

Seriously though, I know many who don't make the distinction. And as the forum posters here have pointed out many many times, personal experience means nothing. :p

Also, to the OP, it's already been said that there are flirts on both sides. The difference is the main NPC of Makeb is female on republic side and male on empire side. And that story leads to some level of SGR. Do you expect them to have the NPC just show up as the same gender as the player's character?

I always wonder why people complain about the english language, yet keep speaking it. It's not like you're not required to learn a second language in school. Speak it.

Seriously though, I know many who don't make the distinction. And as the forum posters here have pointed out many many times, personal experience means nothing. :p

Also, to the OP, it's already been said that there are flirts on both sides. The difference is the main NPC of Makeb is female on republic side and male on empire side. And that story leads to some level of SGR. Do you expect them to have the NPC just show up as the same gender as the player's character?

Well first of all I am not "complaining" about it I am simply stating a fact, and doing so with a degree of expertise as English is one of five languages that I am fluent in. And personal experience means everything, it defines who you are as a person. Yes you can be wrong, but that in no way makes it "mean nothing" it simply shows how diverse the human experience can be. As for your last point, as I said in my original post I don't care one way or the other as long as it is done properly and with aforethought.

Like someone already pointed out referring to all homosexual people as "gay" is the same as using the word "man" to refer to all humans, a linguistic fault that happens to be prevalent in the English language (i.e. woMAN, huMAN, MANkind, etc.).

Perhaps it's the linguist in me, but "Man" is inclusive to the human race. Just because it's not politically correct doesn't make it not true.

FUN FACT: Did you know that the question: "It's a boy/girl." is grammatically incorrect? It should be: "He's a boy/girl."

And FYI, it's not limited to English language either.

Edited by JekRendar

I guess so he could use the word "gaff". :p

I have never before come across that word. I entered the thread purely in the hopes it had been explained to someone else so I wouldn't seem like a dummy for asking. I'm guessing it's something along the lines of "stupid unfortunate mistake".

SGR was never a necessity,just h*rny players (yes i'm mostly looking at YOU gay fan-ficion writing girls) wanting to see their toon do it with the same sex,there are better things to implement.

Actually it's not the gay fan-fiction writing girls, it's the guys that want to *** to their female character getting it on with every girl she possibly can in game, that make the biggest fuss about this feature - they will also be the ones that will rage hardcore the moment RotHC goes live and the majority of them that don't read the forums realize that the only SGR they'll be getting will be with dudes on the Empire side! :rak_03:

I'm sure a few actual homosexual people will also be disappointed by some of it (and happy about some) - but I always figured they wouldn't be the most vocal about it, though I could be wrong.

Edited by Callaron

Actually it's not the gay fan-fiction writing girls, it's the guys that want to *** to their female character getting it on with every girl she possibly can in game, that make the biggest fuss about this feature - they will also be the ones that will rage hardcore the moment RotHC goes live and the majority of them that don't read the forums realize that the only SGR they'll be getting will be with dudes on the Empire side! :rak_03:

I'm sure a few actual homosexual people will also be disappointed by some of it (and happy about some) - but I always figured they wouldn't be the most vocal about it, though I could be wrong.

It's already been noted that there are F/F flirts on the Empire side. However, they akin to every other one shot flirt option you see with non-storyline quest givers.