Can we not buy this 'Expansion' with Cartel Coins?

Lionflash

It's hard to defend this descision without doing so. As far as I know, (and I've clicked on pre-order, it doesn't let you buy it with CC) you can only buy it with money. After looking through the FAQ section for this 'expansion' again, there is no other method.

The Cartel Coins are a currency for this game, I don't see why it isn't an option. To everyone saying that BW is charging $$ for content from subscribers... if you simply aloud us to pay for it with Cartel Coins it would no longer be a kick in the pants.

With our monthly allowance of CC (between 500 - 700 depending on your situation) it would be easy to save up for the expansion. Especially after knowing when it's coming in advance. If it happends to cost 1200 CC for subscribers then it's easy to save that much for a few months. Now I'm going to have over 3000 CC (I assume) by that time sitting in my bank and I still have to spend money?

What the sith?

Biggest reason why I can see (off the top of my head): Subscribers.

We get 500 CC a month. No matter what price the expansion is, if a sub has not used all of their coins, they're getting their Expansion at discount (possibly free). That isn't a good idea if you're releasing an expansion to let some people possibly get it free.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From current FAQ:

Can I use Cartel Coins to pre-purchase Rise of the Hutt Cartel?

No, you will not be able to pre-order the Digital Expansion with Cartel Coins. This Digital Expansion is only available for purchase on our website at http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/buy.

So that's clear that we cannot use Cartel Coins to pre-order (which we already knew).

But it says nothing about when, if ever, it will be on the cashshop, unless that wording means it will NEVER be on the Cashshop. :mad:

preordering prior to january 7 - gives you 5 days early access.

I have a very strong feeling that they will open it up to cartel coin purchases after that, or as soon as it goes life. will cost same relative amount for subscribers (I'm guessing around 1k cartel coins give or take, which is how much you can get for $10)

Seeing how the red suit.. forgot the name.. LIfe Day Vestments or something is 2400 CC`s... I highly suspect the CH4 wont go for less than 5000+ .. but meh... debating if to get it or stop...

So that's clear that we cannot use Cartel Coins to pre-order (which we already knew).

But it says nothing about when, if ever, it will be on the cashshop, unless that wording means it will NEVER be on the Cashshop. :mad:

So far every pessimistic prediction has come true, so I think it`ll be cash only until it actually sells, then with a prohibitive price (probably higher than the 10$ either cash or equivalent in coins) after it`s actual launch.

So far every pessimistic prediction has come true, so I think it`ll be cash only until it actually sells, then with a prohibitive price (probably higher than the 10$ either cash or equivalent in coins) after it`s actual launch.

They do need to clarify quickly whether this adventure pack will ever be on the Cartel Shop or not.

Edited by Goretzu

They do need to clarify quickly whether this adventure pack will ever be on the Cartel Shop or not.

They are not in a clarify mood to begin with.. especially for keeping in the dark for more sales... I don`t think they`ll ever..

If anything, Mr. Gonzalez will come with a lol pitch like "We are definetely considering selling or not selling for coins, but we are still considering or not considering it. Oh, but you get 5 more levels, so it is totally, like.. buyable..."

[EDIT]I`d love to see a clarification, but it is not in THEIR best interest... THEM being EA/Bioware. So, we`ll only get vague statements that mean precisely zero, like Mr. Hickman`s "we might charge for it".

Edited by Styxx

It is very doubtful you will get an answer to this any time soon.

This is a cash grab before the holiday.

Answering something like that would stop subs from buying it if they know they can get it for CC. ( well it would stop some, as I'm sure some would still buy it)

I've been thinking about it, and it may well be that they don't have the technology at present to give us Makeb in the CM.

Oh, they definitely have the ability to restrict zones, as evidenced by Section X being a cartel market purchase.

But, as with everything else about this content update, the level cap increase ruins everything. The existing mechanic to impose a different level cap came with the trial, and that was all account-wide and all done out-of-game.

Using an ingame item to raise the level cap may well be trickier for them to code. I have little doubt they'll add it eventually though (although whether or not they do so only after it's become obsolete, like WoW charging five dollars for outdated expansions, remains to be seen).

Did you read that?

It says you can't pre-order with cartel coins (which makes all kinds of sense, implementing pre-ordering for CC would be way, way more trouble than it's worth).

Whether or not the content update can be bought with CC on and after the date of its release is a totally different question.

I've been thinking about it, and it may well be that they don't have the technology at present to give us Makeb in the CM.

Oh, they definitely have the ability to restrict zones, as evidenced by Section X being a cartel market purchase.

But, as with everything else about this content update, the level cap increase ruins everything. The existing mechanic to impose a different level cap came with the trial, and that was all account-wide and all done out-of-game.

Using an ingame item to raise the level cap may well be trickier for them to code. I have little doubt they'll add it eventually though (although whether or not they do so only after it's become obsolete, like WoW charging five dollars for outdated expansions, remains to be seen).

Well they seem to have the technology to sell Ch4 on the Cashshop, which is how it would be done I suspect, Makeb in chunks, and is possible how F2Per will have to buy it.

Certainly I can think of no great technical reason, and any that may exist (like level cap) will HAVE to be resolved before Makeb goes to early access anyway.

It simply doesn't make sense.

LotRO and DDO do this without issue.

If I am not mistaken Everquest expansions can be brought with Station Cash.

My only theory is that they don't want subscribers (us, the people who supported their game) to use our unspent credits and get it without paying extra.

As far as I know about LotRO, SOE discontinued that practice.

To answer the question posed here about purchasing Rise of the Hutt Cartel:

We'd like to clarify that Rise of the Hutt Cartel will be available for purchase through SWTOR.com/buy only, and there won't be an option to purchase it using Cartel Coins.

Nice. Lets nickle and dime subscribers more. Thanks for keeping that whole "subs wont ever pay for content." crap you fed us. Loving how this CONTENT UPDATE is being toted as an expansion by you guys too just because it has a level increase. 1 Planet? What a joke. No character story? Whats the point of even play SW:ToR when the only thing that was decent you guys have thrown away?

Nice. Lets nickle and dime subscribers more. Thanks for keeping that whole "subs wont ever pay for content." crap you fed us. Loving how this CONTENT UPDATE is being toted as an expansion by you guys too just because it has a level increase. 1 Planet? What a joke. No character story? Whats the point of even play SW:ToR when the only thing that was decent you guys have thrown away?

how is 1 planet not enough? and 1 planet that's 5 levels worth of content?

let me remind you that Voss + Corellia BOTH added were for lvl 45-50, and do you have any idea how LARGE those 2 planets are?

1 planet with 5 levels worth of content is MASSIVE in scope, especially POST-50 experience wise (or they can boost the exp gain from each quest by a big multiplier) and with a raise in level cap, logically means adding in new equipments, TONS of quests, and possibly more end-game flashpoints/ops

and this is "Chapter 4", take it how you will but a "chapter" expansion cannot be a small add-in like Section-X or Ilum was... we still don't know yet, how "different" it will be between each class but it'll DEFINITELY be having a good story to last you a while

We'd like to clarify that Rise of the Hutt Cartel will be available for purchase through SWTOR.com/buy only, and there won't be an option to purchase it using Cartel Coins.

Is this something we can expect with all expansions moving forward?

And is there a reason why this was chosen when content like section X is available through the Cartel Market? You already have an in-game store and currency for purchasing things for my characters and my account, it only makes sense to have all purchasable content located there. One-stop-shopping for what I need makes things simpler than having some only available from the site and others available in the game store.

The obvious answer that comes to mind would be that it's to make sure subscribers can't purchase the expansion with saved coins. To that I think that firstly, subscribers who have been saving coins is likely a minority. And secondly it would show that your 'appreciation of [our] loyalty'* extends more than just some fluff items.

*"We appreciate your support of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. As a thank you for your loyalty to The Old Republic™, we have granted you.."

I would like to point this out for all the people that said save you CC for content.

Alot of us said that THIS would happen. And it was stated by people that it would'nt.

Get use to this now.

Who else didn't see this coming?

Would EAware seriously let us pay for it with our monthly bonus CC?

Who else didn't see this coming?

Would EAware seriously let us pay for it with our monthly bonus CC?

No they would'nt....

But how many people came running to the defense of Eaware, saying that our cc would be for things like this.

And when some of us voiced our opinion about it, we were told to stop being haters.....