Vangaurd or Commando.

Flalia

Hello there i'm going to be leveling a trooper with a friend of mine and she is rolling a gunslinger my question is should I be going vangaurd or commando. I want to dps primarily. I also have a level 50 powertech whos pyrotech spec which I love. So I don't know if I should go with the spec I know I enjoy or go commando to try something new and assault cannons are awesome. P.s if theres a dps difference between the 2 ac's thatd be welcome information as well.

I think the question is do you want to tank or heal? If you already have a hard hitter, that's one way to support it.

Unless you both want to go with damage in which case do you want to have melee dps (in the case of vanguards that's 4-10 meters)? or ranged dps?

If your answered yes to either of the former options then you want vanguard, if not then go with commando.

Edited by unluckyperson

Mostly depends on if you prefer pvp or pve, imo.

Commandos are hella fun, gunnery commandos do both insane burst and sustained damage, and are ranged. The problem is, in pvp, they rarely get the chance to get off their awesome damage because it relies too much on one skill: grav round, which can be easily interrupted. Any smart pvper will target you first and make sure you don't get the chance to rain death upon their team because commandos also don't have a lot of utility/defensive skills (along with the over reliance on grav round) , making them easy kills.

Very useful and fun in pve though, they can occasionally be fun in pvp if the enemy team doesn't attack you... a big mistake that some people will make in pvp is that they think "Oh, commandos suck all around so I'm just going to ignore him", because they dont realize that commandos actually do a ton of damage if left alone.

If you like pvp more, you should definitely roll vanguard.

If you're more focused on pve, and want to do damage, I'd suggest commando since you already have a powertech and know what a vanguard is like.

Or you could decide on either tanking (VG) or healing (Commando), like a previous post said.

Edited by Col_Wilson

• 2 weeks later...

Col_Wilson I agree with you WRT pre 2.0 but post 2.0, I think Commando's will be very viable in PVP.

They get Hold the line, Electro Net in 2.0. Concussion Charge already reduces movement speed of enemies for 4s. I've seen Commando's being very mobile and viable and still raining down death on the PTS. IMO, their Crowd Control is close to being on par with Vanguard's CC. The only difference that I see in the 2 classes is the ability to burst while mobie. Bottom of the food chain, not sure, but we will see post 2.0 but what I've seen on the PTS, Commando's are gonna have alot of fun.

Combat Medic is pretty awesome to play in PvP. Takes a lot of work to put out the heals like a Scoundrel or Sage but it's a lot of fun. Plus once your shield is up with an adrenal popped and you are immune to interrupts it's basically god mode. Granted once you do that the situation has gone completely **** up but it's still fun to face tank 3 melee.