64 bit client

Facadas

You know I find it strange that the SWTOR readme file suggests Win 7 64bit yet they do not even offer a 64bit client. It seems a bit misleading on their part to recomend a technology they do not implement in the game clien!

The install base of 32bit Windows 7 is relatively tiny. Any machines that came out with Win 7 32 bit were likely OEM machines that had been intended for Vista, and so likely not actually up to the minimum spec of Win7. None of the main OEM manufacturers these days are selling machines with 32 bit Windows 7 to consumers. That's probably the reason they recommend 64 bit, it cuts off the bottom end of Windows 7 computers from what they have to support.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say this would be a good thing myself - I too use a 64 bit OS. So bumpy for the likey.

Not to mention - longevity - the watchword is that in the future more and more machines will be going 64bit and really now, how far off are we from 128bit or even higher?

Foreward thinking wins the day!

The install base of 32bit Windows 7 is relatively tiny. Any machines that came out with Win 7 32 bit were likely OEM machines that had been intended for Vista, and so likely not actually up to the minimum spec of Win7. None of the main OEM manufacturers these days are selling machines with 32 bit Windows 7 to consumers. That's probably the reason they recommend 64 bit, it cuts off the bottom end of Windows 7 computers from what they have to support.

You missed his point.

He is stating that recommending something the client does not utilize is rather frivolous.

Agreed. It needs some big software publishers to be brave and say "Time for the 21st centurey! 64-bit only!".

I say "brave" because there are a large number of people running 32-bit Windows who can't or won't reinstall their OS. Many of these people will scream and yell on forums. Many of these people will not buy the product.

Still, until we get some big names willing to take the hit in sales then there won't be the critical mass needed to finally get rid of 32-bit comptuting.

Agreed. It needs some big software publishers to be brave and say "Time for the 21st centurey! 64-bit only!".

I say "brave" because there are a large number of people running 32-bit Windows who can't or won't reinstall their OS. Many of these people will scream and yell on forums. Many of these people will not buy the product.

Still, until we get some big names willing to take the hit in sales then there won't be the critical mass needed to finally get rid of 32-bit comptuting.

Well that's the thing

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Microsoft is already in beta testing for Windows 8 and since I assume the goal is to keep this game running for longer than 5 years the logical solution would have been to make this only a 64-bit client. According to that survey Windows 7 64-bit has increased by 10-15% in 2 years. Not to mention the number of other 64-bit clients out there.

(You cannot buy a shelf PC with a 32-bit OS)

That being said, if you want to play this game and you have a 32-bit computer it is most likely running worse than my out dated 64-bit laptop and the game runs like crap on it. Why you wouldn't encourage consumers to spend money on a new PC for a gaming experience is beyond me.

The lack of a 64bit client is why you see 2 swtor.exe processes running, this is to allow it to use more ram. Also you can set up a ram drive to force even more of it to use the ram :)

I'd much rather see directx11 support tbh, this will make the biggest difference. At the moment it's only dx9 which isn't optimal on new hardware.

• 4 weeks later...

you sure that directx11 will do its job with a 32bit client? i don't know but i guess that the directx11 technology is a bit more forward in time ;)

also a 64 bit client will improve the performance thus far, that graphics will be fine for the time until the next step is done.

• 3 weeks later...

While I suppose that a 64-bit client isn't a bad thing...

What's the problem that it would be addressing (aside from nebulously, that 64 bits is the future)?

I'm on modern hardware--nothing insane, but decent. I get 50-80 FPS, depending on how much is going on and whether I'm in a warzone--again nothing insane, but decent.

It seems to me like if the game runs well as-is, and has the bonus of being 32 and 64 bit compatible, then why muck with it? I dunno, I like modernizing, but I don't know where the justification would be, really, with the game's current level of complexity. For 2.0, maybe?

.A 64-bit client vs a 32-bit client on high end systems is literally like a night and day difference. I have a computer that can run Battlefield 3 at pretty high settings and still maintain good framerate, why should this game not?

Aion Online at one point had some support for a 64-bit client when they released their version 2.5, and when I ran it on my computer, I could run their advanced graphics engine (they had two, a default and advanced one) with everything maxed at 70+ FPS. Compared to the 32 bit client where it struggled with the default engine, there was no contest as to which one was better.

If SWTOR added support for 64-bit clients, I guarantee you that performance issues that some deal with would be a thing of the past.

Edited by Grogget

• 3 months later...
Bump for great justice. This game seriously needs a 64-bit client, because as it stands, there's no reason that a game with a much worse engine than games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Planetside 2, etc, runs worse than the aforementioned games in the framerate department.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...