Gearing for EC HM

MasterGladius

It looks like both of your builds are identical except his starts stacking power where you go for more endurance.

The biggest difference, as I see it, is that he uses 2 passive PvP relics and I use the heal and absorb proc relic and the Willpower augs where I use Defense augs. He would probably manage slightly worse threat generation (he has slightly higher crit thanks to higher Willpower but I have a good deal more bonus damage because of the power from the Def augs and the heal proc relic) but have less mitigation because of the choice to use said augs (the benefits of the proc relics aren't factored into the flat stats).

Honestly, considering how easy it is to threat fluff by taunt spamming, I don't really think it's appropriate to drop your mitigation just to reach a slightly higher amount of HP. If you want more hp, don't drop your mitigation to get there; it's acting counter to your survivability to do. Just use the Force Wielder Armorings and Indestructible crystals. With all the same augs, enhs, relics, and mods, you'll get to 26.7k hp which is close enough to 27k for gov't work without dropping your mitigation to get there.

Thanks, Kitru. This is my first tank so there is a lot to learn. My main is a sage seer so I think that lends some insight into my gameplay based on runs with other tanks. What does your rotation look like as a shadow tank? Thanks again for your response, this was just what I was looking for.

What does your rotation look like as a shadow tank?

I use the DS-less priority:

(0. Spinning Strike, when possible, is top priority)

1. TkT (w/ 3 HS stacks)

2. Project or Slow Time (alternating so that you do Proj>ST>Proj for your first 3 HS stacks and ST>Proj>ST for your second and back and forth; you do this to maintain Force neutrality)

3. Force Breach (to maintain debuff, functionally on CD)

4. DS (if and only if you have over 70 Force and regeneration would be wasted before your other abilities come off of CD)

5. Saber Strike

• 3 weeks later...

thx for the info guys. i still havent been able to tweak my gear to the point I really want to, a lot of my stuff is still stock as I got it from the dread guard vendor :(

however with this build: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/c533500a-0e38-4b87-ac54-9890541908b9

my guild was able to finish Nim EC 16 man a couple weeks back. Hoping to get more play time so I can get to all unlettered mods/enh and swap out a couple armorings and crystals.

I am still wondering if 25% def chance is enough... most of the NiM 16m Kephess fight is fine, I guess getting hit by kephess for 15k out of the blue would make anyone take a second look at how to maintain mitigation/while keeping somewhat high endurance.

Edited by YESWEKEN

I use the DS-less priority:

(0. Spinning Strike, when possible, is top priority)

1. TkT (w/ 3 HS stacks)

2. Project or Slow Time (alternating so that you do Proj>ST>Proj for your first 3 HS stacks and ST>Proj>ST for your second and back and forth; you do this to maintain Force neutrality)

3. Force Breach (to maintain debuff, functionally on CD)

4. DS (if and only if you have over 70 Force and regeneration would be wasted before your other abilities come off of CD)

5. Saber Strike

Huh, I just updated my guide the other day to something pretty much identical after doing further testing.(YAY COMBAT LOGS I LOVE YOU)

thx for the info guys. i still havent been able to tweak my gear to the point I really want to, a lot of my stuff is still stock as I got it from the dread guard vendor :(

however with this build: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/c533500a-0e38-4b87-ac54-9890541908b9

my guild was able to finish Nim EC 16 man a couple weeks back. Hoping to get more play time so I can get to all unlettered mods/enh and swap out a couple armorings and crystals.

I am still wondering if 25% def chance is enough... most of the NiM 16m Kephess fight is fine, I guess getting hit by kephess for 15k out of the blue would make anyone take a second look at how to maintain mitigation/while keeping somewhat high endurance.

The high endurance enhancements/mods are killing your mitigation. My guy is a mix of 61/63s has about 100 more Defense & Absorb but 5k hp less.

Resolve over force wielder? That's definitely weird lol.

Not really. Endurance isn't really that needed once you get over 25k health. More WP gives you more damage output which is great for threat management when you're teamed with well geared people. I ran a resolve hilt as soon as I could have one crafted. Recently switched to Force Wielder (was a gift from a friend) and then proceeded to upgrade my DPS gear - hilt and all armorings with high willpower went to Nadia and I've replaced them all with high endurance stuff.

I'm currently sitting at about 28k health but that's just because I can't be bothered to replace my lettered mods with unlettered ones. There aren't many on the GTN and I'd rather gear up some other characters too. The only thing I'm after right now is the DG clickable relic to be used in boss figths. EWH is okay for general mischief, but what kills tanks is spike damage, so a clickable relic will prove more valuable in boss fights.

All that said, I've pushed my health (with stims) to 29.7k and still got no protests from my dedicated healers. We've been breezing through content with me having 23, 25, 27 and 29k health.