Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

In the survey I'm conducting the trend has changed for those who like RP

Now only 60% are for a merger. With the following attitudes:

How would an APAC server merger affect your attitude towards playing SWTOR?

I would subscribe/re-subscribe to the game . . . . 15.79% . . . . 3

I would play/play more . . . . 57.89% . . . . 11

I would want to transfer to back to APAC servers. . . . . 0% . . . . 0

I would unsubscribe from/quit the game . . . . 15.79% . . . . 3

I would play less . . . . 15.79% . . . . 3

I would want to transfer off APAC servers . . . . 15.79% . . . . 3

I just did that survey. The problem I see with it is that it seems anyone can do the survey over and over. This means the results can be easily skewed by anyone who bothers to do it over and over.

Also, how about this. Merge PVE+PVP, leave the RP'ers with a choice to transfer over. Done.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? FOr me if I go back to that page it goes tot he thanks for taking the survey instantly.

It logs IPs with submissions, and I have been looking, didn't notice IPs repeated. Could do from work, home, public wi-fi, but anyone with any view could. No perfect way I think, unless Bioware opens up on here. Hint hint

Just checked, no duplicate IPs

Edited by Evgen

hai ,you guys want merge thats cool with me, but i want to transfer off cause asia to Aussie ping is terribad i get better ping to EU than Aussie even though EU is WAAAAY farther away than aussie land , internet logic.

Id be very upset if we were merged and no option for transfer was given. ]:

If you are worried about "role play" immersion - here is the best way for bio/eaware to make it work.

You get channels. You can hide Gen chat, and have RP chat for all your stuff.

they can slightly change the group finder - so that when you queue, you have a check box "RP". if it is checked you wont get set with people who dont have it checked.

now the only way you are going to have to deal with 'wankers" in is /say or /whisper, and for that you have your ignore option.

To be honest, most people wont get all antsy about you RP'ing, most will even join in, and only the very select few will cause issues. Really a merge is always going to improve a community, and if you are worried about deadbeats from our server, think how many are on your server, there are probably less here.

I'm in agreement with that last bit. I've had more troubles from people running into an RP on our server (Gav Daragon) and being completely obnoxious, spamming vanity stuff while we're trying to interact (party bombing, pulling out companions and Punishing them) to outright abuse. Which is hilarious in comparison to RPing while I was leveling in Dalborra where the worst scenario (and this term doesn't even apply), was someone passing by and then moving on, only to whisper me asking what I was doing. Now given I'm on Gav alot more, I could just be lucky but what I'm trying to say is, the occurrence of RP disruption is high anyway that I'm more keen to see what it would be like if all our fishies were thrown into a bigger ocean.

In regards to roleplay and naming... my characters' names in game aren't always reflective of their actual name. I imagine that rings true for Imperials full stop (Sith names, Bounty Hunter nicknames, Agent callsigns/aliases hell even troopers and ) which is hilarious because in my head it's essentially saying that the Jedi don't get to be remotely interesting. In Star Wars. Back on that point... naming seems like another bit of vanity. Yeah I'll miss it if I lose some of my characters' names... but for the sake of RP it's not going to impact me (that is, yes, personally) a whole lot. In regards to legacy name... I've listened to two people this entire week about people stealing their legacy name. And yes, it was a change when they made the super servers that you could have duplicate legacy names -- so keeping your legacy name? Sure! Being about keeping your legacy name? ... uhhh.

But what interests me is the numbers put up by Evgen (who's also posted it on the Gav Daragon community site), because it basically paints a completely odd scenario that... merging is better than transfers. Because from what I can see the people who want to stay on the RP server want to stay due to the tight-nit community... transfers enables people who want to be part of a bigger community actually go to that community leaving the tight-nit community to stay.... tight-nit. Only smaller. Essentially, it gets rid of those who don't want to stay.... and yet that negatively impacts your playing experience. My head hurts. >.<

Another good sugestion also the roleplay flag from an earlier post is also another good idea as well as the triple instances due to flags one for each type (thanks to who ever they were). The way that I see this possible server merge is that it could be a test bed for the future of MMORPG's, because if Bioware can satisfy the Role players as well as the the PVPer on a multi type server it would mean that the production comanies wouldn't have to have multiple servers fro the different play styles or the two different types of role play servers that Bioware currently have in the US/EU because TRUE ROLE PLAY IS PVP. and that is my two cents worth.

Now there's an idea. Selective instancing. At the same time, cross-server queuing. It's been said that a lot of it would amend many of the woes we all have but if it hasn't been implemented by now then I'm not sure if it's even feasible (or more accurately if it's even going to happen). Still, selective-instancing on a larger server holds more appeal.

I don't think that would ever really fly. You might think that people who shared a particular hobby would have more in common, but MMO's are peculiar. Nick Yee wrote some really interesting

From a RPer's perspective, what this merge offers is 1. an undermining of that 'idealized identity' through name changes etc; 2. a loss of control over the server and 3. a greatly increased likelihood of harassment. From that side of the fence, this proposed merge is not an appealing prospect - it's a lot of pain for not a whole lot of gain. From the other side of the fence, all of this may appear completely ridiculous and you know, you're probably right. But none of that really matters. What matters is that Bioware remember these differences when - if - they finally get round to making their decision.

Yes, and those points have continuously been brought up since the dawn of... at the very least, this thread (and the many other likes it). The counter arguments have also been made that, essentially you also have the tools to stop the third scenario. The second scenario is extremely laughable in that, nothing can really be "controlled" from the player's end. If a player was god, then you're in a realm full of gods. All with the same power and the ability to do what they like. Pardon the poor reference. What it seems to be about is being the biggest fish in a tiny pond... which can be indicative of egotistical behavior (sorry, been overly eager to use that term all week). Still, in the you've just put above it results in.... nothing new. Essentially both Transfer and Merging isn't ideal for the RPers but... at the cost of just about everyone else.

Almost at 100 responses (98) on the survey.

The trend is still continuing to highly favour a merger, increasing to almost 86% in favour.

I think the thing about transfers is there are a lot more options.

In general an almost equal number of people are for some kind of transfer.

Are you for or against allowing free transfers to and from APAC servers?

For transfers to and from APAC servers . . . . 38.54% . . . . 37

For transfers too and among APAC servers only . . . . 21.88% . . . . 21

For transfers to 1 of the APAC servers only . . . . 22.92% . . . . 22

For transfers off APAC servers . . . . 6.25% . . . . 6

Against any transfers to or from APAC servers . . . . 10.42% . . . . 10

But some people want to transfer off APAC, others don't want to allow that, other want transfers open to only one server.

Everyone is talking about the RP group, they are also 2/3 in favour of a merger.

How would an APAC server merger affect your attitude towards playing SWTOR?

I would subscribe/re-subscribe to the game . . . . 23.81% . . . . 5

I would play/play more . . . . 61.90% . . . . 13

I would want to transfer to back to APAC servers. . . . . 0% . . . . 0

I would unsubscribe from/quit the game . . . . 14.29% . . . . 3

I would play less . . . . 14.29% . . . . 3

I would want to transfer off APAC servers . . . . 14.29% . . . . 3

So while the RP group as a whole is more against a merger than other players who don't enjoy RP, over all they are still for it.

90% of the people who have taken the survey are in the Oceanic area

And they are mostly people who play alot.

How often do you play SWTOR?

I don't play SWTOR but have plans to subscribe . . . . 1.02% . . . . 1

I don't play SWTOR but have plans to play free . . . . 1.02% . . . . 1

1 - 5 Hours a week - Subscriber . . . . 5.10% . . . . 5

5 - 20 hours a week - Subscriber . . . . 33.67% . . . . 33

5 - 20 hours a week - Free to Play . . . . 2.04% . . . . 2

more than 20 hours a week - Subscriber . . . . 57.14% . . . . 56

more than 20 hours a week - Free to Play . . . . 0% . . . . 0

Unfortunately the survey only display the results for the first 100 submissions on the free plan :/

It's passed that point now :/

I don't have plans to pay for this, so take the survey if you want, but your results likely won't be included unfortunately.

Will work on publishing the results.

Some more open PVP areas would be welcome but make them different to the tatooine one, it's boring, too open and plain. The tomb area on Belsavis would make an excellent PVP area it is a bit like a maze, lots of different open areas, high vantage points, narrow canyons, lava pits to knock folks into, ledges to knock folks off of.

There's actually a lot of hidden vantage points in Tattooine that aren't that obvious, particularly around those little huts with platforms on top for snipers to go crazy on people with little chance people can push them out. But it's not designed to be a massive pvp warzone, it's a gank map.

But yes, a Lava cavern would make a great pvp map

Some more open PVP areas would be welcome but make them different to the tatooine one, it's boring, too open and plain. The tomb area on Belsavis would make an excellent PVP area it is a bit like a maze, lots of different open areas, high vantage points, narrow canyons, lava pits to knock folks into, ledges to knock folks off of.

Man I don't think they are going to redesign areas of the game just for the APAC servers lol

Just a status would be nice - I'm on Gav Daragon, a subscriber and loving it, and would like to start looking around for a guild - but I'm waiting to see what happens here. Certainly because there might be more people.

That said, if anyone on Gav Daragon has a medium size, mature and active guild - send a mail to Issachar.

Plug done.

The survey is finished. Due to a lack of foresight on my part it was limited to 100 responses.

You can see the results here

Unfortunately it jumbles the question order :/

I have found a better site with out the limitations the previous one had, and I'm up for any suggestions to improve the survey if there is any interest in running another one.

Edited by Evgen

The survey is finished. Due to a lack of foresight on my part it was limited to 100 responses.

You can see the results here

I have found a better site with out the limitations the previous one had, and I'm up for any suggestions to improve the survey if there is any interest in running another one.

less questions

1) merge - yes/no

2) if merge happes will you play - on merged server/on a different server when transfers come/not at all

3) if merge does not happen will you play - on same server as now/ on a differet server when transfers come/ not at all

I took the survey, but it was very generalising and IMO not exactly an effective questionnaire. The sort of poll that would benefit us right now is one that would narrow down to a single vote for an option (there's many listed in this thread) that one would see as the solve to the APAC problem.

I took the survey, but it was very generalising and IMO not exactly an effective questionnaire. The sort of poll that would benefit us right now is one that would narrow down to a single vote for an option (there's many listed in this thread) that one would see as the solve to the APAC problem.

There is no solution that will please everyone. Many peoples wishes are diametrically opposed.

Because of the variety of questions we know more about how the different groups of players feel about a merger and transfers. It definitely could have been done better, I admit. I wanted to change things as soon as I launched it.

If anyone wants to know some certain specific data let me know. (seeing what those who choose a certain response feel about other questions for example)

There was only one duplicate IP in the 100 responses, and the responses were quite different, so I think it wasn't in fact the same person.

Edited by Evgen

How about these for servey questions:

what server are you on?

do you want a server merge?

Why do you want/not want a server merge?

And put multi selection boxes for all the reasons for and against. eg. loss of charater name, DH's from other servers, loss of server type, increase in player base etc.