An in-depth look at: Qui-Gon Jinn

Aurbere

A true Knight, Qui-Gon is. Forever on his own quest.- Jedi Master Yoda

I know what you're thinking. "Where's Juyo?" Don't worry, the schedule remains them same, but I will also be making character and other threads as well. The reason that I am doing Qui-Gon for this thread is because of the misconceptions of him. These come from his death at the hands of Darth Maul. So I thought that I should shed some light on the venerable Jedi Master.

Qui-Gon Jinn's time as a Jedi was filled with ups and downs. Brushes with the Dark Side, lost loves and a fallen padawan. He was trained by one of the Order's best: Count Dooku. Qui-Gon was noted by many Jedi as a maverick, but a wise and powerful Jedi.

Our story begins with young Qui-Gon Jinn being brought under Jedi Master Dooku's wing. Dooku was one of the Jedi Order's most skilled swordsmen and wisest master. He could have no better master other than Yoda himself. Master and Padawan would embark on several missions across the galaxy that would give Qui-Gon the experience that he would need later in life. Their final mission together as master and padawan would last for two years before they returned to Coruscant. Upon their return, Qui-Gon would be reunited with his childhood friend Tahl. Dooku's parting words for Qui-Gon discussed Qui-Gon's compassion for others and told him that it could prove to be his undoing. Future events could prove those words to be true.

After Qui-Gon and Tahl became Jedi Knights, the Council urged them to take padawans of their own. Qui-Gon believed himself unready for such a task and instead embarked on solo missions in order to prepare himself. On a mission to Telos IV, Qui-Gon came across a young boy named Xanatos, who exhibited a great potential with the Force. He brought Xanatos back to the Temple for training. While the Council was hesitant at first, Qui-Gon would convince them to accept him. Something that he would do again later in his life.

While Xanatos was being trained at the Temple, Qui-Gon took on a different padawan by the name of Feemor. His training was almost complete when Qui-Gon took him on. It wouldn't be long before Feemor was promoted to Knight and Qui-Gon to Master, after which Qui-Gon took Xanatos as his apprentice. The Council, especially Grand Master Yoda, had great concerns over the training of Xanatos. In order to make sure he was ready for Knighthood, the Council dispatched Qui-Gon, Xanatos, Tahl and a Masterless padawan by the name of Orykan Tamarik back to Telos. Here Xanatos' father ruled with absolute control, oppressing the people of Telos. When Xanatos' father offered him wealth and power, he took it without question, driving the planet into a civil war. Qui-Gon, Tahl and Tamarik confronted the two where Qui-Gon was forced to cut down the Governor. Consumed with rage, Xanatos fled swearing revenge on his now former master. Jinn returned to the Temple, blaming himself for Xanatos' fall and swore to never take on another apprentice.

Nine years later, Yoda would encourage Qui-Gon to take another apprentice. Qui-Gon reluctantly agreed, but was sent to Bandomeer by order of the Supreme Chancellor before he could pick an apprentice. On the shuttle to Bandomeer, Qui-Gon encountered Obi-Wan Kenobi, who was being sent to the Agricultural Corps on Bandomeer. Upon their arrival, the two learn that they had been fooled into going to Bandomeer by Xanatos. Jinn sent Obi-Wan off to his agricultural duties while he went to make peace with Xanatos. But Xanatos planned on killing Qui-Gon, but Obi-Wan's timely arrival saved Qui-Gon. Jinn and Xanatos dueled, but the fallen Jedi eventually flees. After this encounter, Qui-Gon accepts Obi-Wan as his padawan learner.

Jinn and Kenobi would undertake several missions together and would develop a father-son like bond. But the most personal one for Qui-Gon would meet the end of Xanatos. Xanatos manipulated a bitter failed padawan named Bruck Chun, who was in competition with Obi-Wan shortly before Kenobi was sent to Bandomeer, into making an assasination on Master Yoda. The attack was foiled and Xanatos was pursued back to Telos, where Xanatos would commit suicide via jumping into an acid pit rather than surrender. Thus bringing a dark chapter in Qui-Gon's life to an end.

During the Stark Hyperspace War, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan would fight alongside Jedi Master Tyvokka and his padawan Plo Koon. This would not be the last time they would encounter the Trade Federation, but it would be one of the few times they would defend them.

Later, Qui-Gon and Tahl would discover mutual feelings for each other, but did their best to ignore them. When Tahl went missing on a mission, Qui-Gon went to rescue her. Tahl had been captured by a New Apsolom rebel named Balog, who had injected a lethal dose of drugs into her. After subduing Balog, Qui-Gon attempted to heal Tahl. Despite his best efforts, Tahl passed on. Her death brought Jinn dangerously close to the Dark Side, and he sought revenge. But, amidst the confusion, Balog fled only to be hunted down by Qui-Gon. Before he could strike the rebel down, Qui-Gon heard Tahl's voice in his head,, convincing him to let his anger go. He took Balog into custody and returned to Coruscant to give Tahl a proper funeral.

The Yinchorri Uprising would see Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan fight alongide Jedi Masters Plo Koon and Mace Windu to end the uprising.

Years later, the two Jedi would be sent by Chancellor Valorum as ambassadors to the Trade Federation blockade. Qui-Gon labeled the Nemoidian leaders as cowards and told Obi-Wan that negotiations would be short. Indeed they were as Viceroy Nute Gunray would attempt to kill them. The two Jedi would escape the assassination attempt, as well as the blockade by boarding Trade Federation transports headed to Naboo.

The two Jedi would encounter a Gungan named Jar Jar Binks in the Naboo swamps, who would take them to a hidden underwater city. The Jedi would procure a sea-worthy vessel and travel through the Planet Core to Theed, capital of Naboo.

Upon arriving at Theed, the two Jedi learned that the Queen was being taken to an internment camp. The Jedi, along with their Gungan counterpart, would rescue the Queen and her guards and a few of her handmaidens. Qui-Gon elected to take them all back to Coruscant for safety. They would escape the planet by 'stealing' the Queen's starship.

Unfortunately, escaping the blockade heavily damaged their vessel and were forced to land on the desert world of Tatooine. Here, Qui-Gon would encounter a young boy named Anakin Skywalker, who Qui-Gon deemed as the Chosen One. After betting on the boy's victory in a local podrace, Qui-Gon purchased replacement parts for the damaged ship and freed Anakin from enslavement. Upon their return to the ship, Qui-Gon was ambushed by the Sith Lord Darth Maul. After a short duel, Qui-Gon fled the young Sith. The Council would need to be informed.

Qui-Gon informed the Council of his duel with the Sith Lord as well as his finding of the Chosen One. While The Jedi Council tested the boy, Queen Amidala set forth events that would see Chancellor Valorum's departure from office and the election of Senator Palpatine of Naboo to Chancellor. The Jedi Council was reluctant to train Anakin as a Jedi, but were unable to make a decision as Queen Amidala was returning to Naboo. They called on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to keep the Queen safe, but not to fight a war.

Qui-Gon rallied the gungan forces to draw the Trade Federation forces away from Theed to allow the Queen and her entourage to get inside the Royal Palace. Inside the Royal Hangar, the two Jedi would come face-to-face with Darth Maul once again. The duel would last for quite some time until the two were seperated. This seperation would lead to the venerable masters demise when the agile Sith cut him down. After Obi-Wan defeated the Sith Lord, Qui-Gon's final wishes were for Obi-Wan to train Anakin to become a Jedi. The venerable master perished and was given a ceremonious funeral on Naboo.

So why did he die? Qui-Gon was one of the most skilled duelists in the Jedi Order. He had mastered the Ataru form to the extent that blaster fire was ineffective against him. Darth Maul was also a very skilled and agile duelist. But by the end of the duel, Qui-Gon was feeling the effects of age take hold. He was tired and weary and the youthful Sith Lord took advantage of this and cut him down.

Qui-Gon was a wise Jedi Master and was respected by the Jedi Order for his wisdom. While he disagreed with the Council regularly, they respected his wisdom and insight. He would return from the netherrealm of the Force to provide advice to Master Yoda and eventually teach him and Obi-Wan Kenobi how to maintain their spirit after death. Had he not done this, Luke Skywalker might not have been able to stop the Empire.

Looking back I can see that I rambled for quite a while. Sorry about that, but I hope the read was enjoyable for you all. :)

If you have a topic that you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.

Edited by Aurbere

Yeah, here is the one I really like. Some people really tend to see him as a weak, but this is because they don't know all his story. Gladly, I know. :D

Well, but besides his lightsaber skills, I really don't know much about his force powers.

Ah, you could also say about him and the witches of the will (or something like that, I don't remember right now) and his awesomes in became One with the Force, the thing that indeed change the fate of the galaxy, cause he later became master of both Yoda and Ben (again).

Nice thread!! :cool:

Liam Neeson made him so great.

I went to watch EP I when I was like 12 and he became my favorite Jedi till now. This year I went to watch the 3D version, yeah the whole film has a few flaws, but my impression of Qui Gon hasn't change a bit.

He was really good. He is one of my favorite Jedi of all time. He's really wise. Plus he trained Obi-Wan, who trained Luke, who brought an end to the Empire.

But I don't understand why didn't they change his age from 60 to like 50, Liam Nesson was only 45 at that time and his Qui Gon Jinn looks a lot younger than Palpatine, who was in truth 10 years younger than Qui Gon.

I'm not sure. Qui-Gon wasn't old old, but he was fairly old. Maybe Liam Neeson didn't want to look old.

Yeah, here is the one I really like. Some people really tend to see him as a weak, but this is because they don't know all his story. Gladly, I know. :D

Well, but besides his lightsaber skills, I really don't know much about his force powers.

Ah, you could also say about him and the witches of the will (or something like that, I don't remember right now) and his awesomes in became One with the Force, the thing that indeed change the fate of the galaxy, cause he later became master of both Yoda and Ben (again).

Nice thread!! :cool:

Shoot! I was so concerned about rambling too much that I forgot about that!

I'll go in and edit that in.

And thank you!

The Historian Strikes again!

You continue to impress.

And just to throw a suggestion for a character thread, Dooku. I think he is of the most underrated Sith or one of the most Underrated Sith of all time.

Most people didn't know that the Jedi Council thought he was the Chosen One due to his high Midi-Chlorian Count and how fast he was growing. And that he is the strongest Makashi User(Which everyone knows now thanks to your thread but my point remains).

Shoot! I was so concerned about rambling too much that I forgot about that!

I'll go in and edit that in.

And thank you!

Hah, you're welcome. And, for good or for bad (in the films, G-canon, for good), he indeed brough to the council The Chosen One. after all.. he was right.

You continue to impress.

And just to throw a suggestion for a character thread, Dooku. I think he is of the most underrated Sith or one of the most Underrated Sith of all time.

Most people didn't know that the Jedi Council thought he was the Chosen One due to his high Midi-Chlorian Count and how fast he was growing. And that he is the strongest Makashi User(Which everyone knows now thanks to your thread but my point remains).

True, true. And I am one of the (maybe few) who knows about that. But, one thing I don't know.. when the Council put aside the idea of him being the Chosen One, I really don't know nothing after that.

You continue to impress.

Thank you, friend! I do plan on doing Dooku soon, but there is one character that is going to come before him.

Dooku is one of the best and people under-rate him. Maybe because he's old. But Yoda's old and he's renowned as one of the most powerful Force users of all time.

My belief had Qui-Gon not died, Anakin would of been completely different.

I think so too. Qui-Gon was very wise and I think he could have been the best master for him. Obi-Wan did well, but I think Qui-Gon could have been better. Plus he would have the best advice for Anakin regarding Padme's impending death, having loved and lost as well.

Wow, there is no way I'm reading all that lol. Sorry.

Just want to chip in: Qui-gon is freaking amazing. It made him even better having Liam Neeson acting him out. He's one of my favorites.

I'm not kidding when I say that there should be a song dedicated to this character. Same goes for Obi-wan.

I think so too. Qui-Gon was very wise and I think he could have been the best master for him. Obi-Wan did well, but I think Qui-Gon could have been better. Plus he would have the best advice for Anakin regarding Padme's impending death, having loved and lost as well.

Actually, I would disagree. I think Ani would have turned out rotten any way. But that's just my opinion.

Wow, there is no way I'm reading all that lol. Sorry.

Just want to chip in: Qui-gon is freaking amazing. It made him even better having Liam Neeson acting him out. He's one of my favorites.

I'm not kidding when I say that there should be a song dedicated to this character. Same goes for Obi-wan.

I would encourage you to read it as Qui-Gon's story is one of the best stories in all of Star Wars. He's very human. He's had brushes with the Dark Side and he's loved and lost. A very good story, imo.

I agree. Liam Neeson was great in TPM. He's still a very good actor.

Actually, I would disagree. I think Ani would have turned out rotten any way. But that's just my opinion.

Most likely, but I think Qui-Gon could have helped Anakin come to terms with the visions he was having. Since Qui-Gon also lost a loved one. But I do believe Palpatine would have still gotten him in the end. Depends on what would happen. I think Anakin would confide in Qui-Gon if Palpatine was not available and Qui-Gon could have helped him.

Just a theory, since Qui-Gon did get killed. That would be an interesting story for Star Wars Infinites to cover, though.

I would encourage you to read it as Qui-Gon's story is one of the best stories in all of Star Wars. He's very human. He's had brushes with the Dark Side and he's loved and lost. A very good story, imo.

I agree. Liam Neeson was great in TPM. He's still a very good actor.

Alright. I'll try to read it lol.

He should appear in the end of EP VI.

He was supposed to be in Ep III if he hadn't broken his arm or something along those lines. He, Obi-wan and Yoda were supposed to train to communicate with force ghosts and how to become one.

But yeah, loved the OP' post and the ref to Star Wars: The Darkside

Edited by Eillack

Good read Qui Gon may be under rated maybe cause episode 1 wasn't a great movie. But Qui Gon was a wise member of the order and a skilled combatant. I really like Qui Gons way of doing things he's a balanced character he follows the Jedi but dosnt think there choices are always the best way to do things. I agree that his age is what took him in the fight.

Good read Qui Gon may be under rated maybe cause episode 1 wasn't a great movie. But Qui Gon was a wise member of the order and a skilled combatant. I really like Qui Gons way of doing things he's a balanced character he follows the Jedi but dosnt think there choices are always the best way to do things. I agree that his age is what took him in the fight.

Age, and the fact that he wasn't able to utilize Ataru properly in those tight quarters.

• 2 months later...