Stop with the Nickel and Dime Approach

Talon_strikes

Seriously.

Reading the State of the Game #3 article was pretty bad. I know you guys are out there to make a profit, but you're not going to have my money once you stop trying to milk more money out of those who are subbed and who want more PvP/PvE-driven content.

Might as well call this game: Coin Wars™: The Cartel Republic™. :(

Never forget this...

Edited by HomicidalWhales

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might as well call this game: Coin Wars™: The Cartel Republic™. :(

That seriously got an audible LOL from me...

Yeah, the best thing they could talk about in the State of the Game article, is a coming Cartel Market transaction. No mention of performance, not commitment to future content...they use the article to advertise the Cartel Market...

I haven't spent a dime on the cartel market and have only yesterday bought a couple of packs from my stipend to give away as gifts for guildies...how is it I am not being nickel and dimed and you think you are?

The only upcoming "feature" that was mentioned in the State of the Game article, was a Cartel Market item. That's where the problem is.

Heh.. never miss an opportunity do you guys. You know nothing about the pricing or the setup or what it may mean to subs, but here you are railing against the unknown because it will cost cartel coins.

So... this is all because of the mention of the Barbershop and Cartel Coins. Lol! Shocked that it might cost subs something? Guess what... it will cost you nothing if you don't use it. But... I'm getting ahead of myself... we don't' know what it will cost!

Nevertheless, this is a good opportunity to show subs some love in terms of discounts or freebies. But again much will depend how things are done vis-a-vis the barbershop.

BTW... just to be clear... only you can nickle and dime yourself.

Edited by Rafaman

The only upcoming "feature" that was mentioned in the State of the Game article, was a Cartel Market item. That's where the problem is.

Thank you for clarifying what the OP didn't. So let's see if I got this right -

• Our sub includes an amount of coins to buy items from the CM
  • BW are to add a barbershop type function to the game - something many have been begging for
  • This new content is going to be available via the CM

As I thought. Subscribers are not being nickel and dimed.

That seriously got an audible LOL from me...

Yeah, the best thing they could talk about in the State of the Game article, is a coming Cartel Market transaction. No mention of performance, not commitment to future content...they use the article to advertise the Cartel Market...

No mention on performance?

No commitment to future content?

Wait.. so those words he said about 'focusing on quality of life and improving performance' was not talking about performance?

And continuiing the 8 week content cadence is not talking about content?

Selective reading it's called what you do. Actively skipping over things being said because they don't fit your image of how things are.

THIS

If the state of the game referred to features and content that were coming for subs, f2p and also some new CC crap that wouldn't be so bad, but the state of the game, as stated, is CARTEL MARKET ONLY!

we all knew it was going to be like this, it will only get worse, play have fun don't get wound too tight over it and walk away if it's too much, IT IS A GAME and it's way past being lost now (based on what we all hoped for at the start)

• BW are to add a barbershop type function to the game - something many have been begging for

I get 600 CC a month(6 month sub + security key) + a bucket of them when the Cartel market started and have barely used any. I still have 4600 or so waiting to be used and another 600 coming in 2 weeks. So No i don't think most subs will be getting nickel and dimed either since we get CC coins of various amounts given to us. Except for a bit of gear and a few Vanity items i haven't found not using the Cartel market detrimental to my gameplay at all as a subscriber. The Cartel market isn't necessary as a sub and one only uses it if they want to, not because they have to. Heck i liked the New double light saber in the most recent packs..i bought one on the GTN inside days of the new packs hitting the store for about 3000 credits and have bought speeders and other items from the Cartel market with credits earned in game too.

+ how often really are people going to be changing their appearances...if someone wants to turn the game into Starwars: Beauty Shop Edition and tweaking their appearances often then IMO they should have to pony up a bit.

Edited by CrazyCanukk

I was excited about the customization options until the part where it said 'cartel market', meaning we won't be able to do anything unless we're shelling out the bucks.

I'm starting to wonder, why do I have a subscription if I'm going to be nickle and dimed for every little thing. So great, they're going to sell hair dye and contacts now. Wonderful. And here I was hoping that we subs might get another set of ticky boxes we could check off for various features. -_-

Heh.. never miss an opportunity do you guys. You know nothing about the pricing or the setup or what it may mean to subs, but here you are railing against the unknown because it will cost cartel coins.

So... this is all because of the mention of the Barbershop and Cartel Coins. Lol! Shocked that it might cost subs something? Guess what... it will cost you nothing if you don't use it. But... I'm getting ahead of myself... we don't' know what it will cost!

Nevertheless, this is a good opportunity to show subs some love in terms of discounts or freebies. But again much will depend how things are done vis-a-vis the barbershop.

BTW... just to be clear... only you can nickle and dime yourself.

The point of this is is that so many more basic and mini-features are being added to the Cartel Market, to the point that they might even charge for extra abilities (and probably extra quickbars :rolleyes: [oh wait, they already did that...]) with Cartel Coins. It's ridiculous.

These people are desperate for more cash, to the point where having a sub itself is just degrading without spending anything on the CM. I have been considering quitting the game, but I did renew my subscription so I will use these next few months to reflect on the state of the game. If I see more Cartel Market-driven updates, it will be time for me to finally jump ship.

Edited by HomicidalWhales

If the flighty and ridiculously fickle MMO crowd hadn't abandoned this game in droves six months after launch, the CM wouldn't even be necessary.

But they did. Because they have the attention span of a meth-addled fruit fly and couldn't be bothered to give the game some time to mature and grow.

So, the people who stuck around found themselves with a game full of problems and next to no money with which to fix it.

That resulted in the CM and F2P and the people who stuck around are now furious at the very system that saved the game from early termination.

If anything, you should be directing your rage at the crowd that dropped sub and took off at the first sign of problems.

These people are desperate for more cash, to the point where having a sub itself is just degrading without spending anything on the CM..

What have we lost access to since f2p launched? I can tell you what we've gained through patches 1.5-1.7.

I was excited about the customization options until the part where it said 'cartel market', meaning we won't be able to do anything unless we're shelling out the bucks.

I want one of these cut-price subscriptions that come without cartel coins but cost less per month. Haven't been able to find it yet but obviously you have so any chance of a link? As I don't utilise the CM I wouldn't mind saving myself some sub money.

If the flighty and ridiculously fickle MMO crowd hadn't abandoned this game in droves six months after launch, the CM wouldn't even be necessary.

But they did. Because they have the attention span of a meth-addled fruit fly and couldn't be bothered to give the game some time to mature and grow.

So, the people who stuck around found themselves with a game full of problems and next to no money with which to fix it.

That resulted in the CM and F2P and the people who stuck around are now furious at the very system that saved the game from early termination.

If anything, you should be directing your rage at the crowd that dropped sub and took off at the first sign of problems.

can you hear that swooshing sound? it's the sound of you missing the point by so many miles it's funny :)

blaming the players? the people who bought the game only to find it was launched in a story mode state with next to nothing in terms of working end game, waited months for things to be fixed, watched PvP go from laughable to pathetic to removed.

Yes the CM and fp2 are saving the game, but the reason it needs saving is EA and BW being incompetent, not the players!

can you hear that swooshing sound? it's the sound of you missing the point by so many miles it's funny :)

blaming the players? the people who bought the game only to find it was launched in a story mode state with next to nothing in terms of working end game, waited months for things to be fixed, watched PvP go from laughable to pathetic to removed.

Yes the CM and fp2 are saving the game, but the reason it needs saving is EA and BW being incompetent, not the players!

I'm glad we can agree that the CM and F2P saved this game from early termination.

Or course this is a Nickle and Dime situation, that is the state of all economies. I personally am not against the idea, If I was BioWare offer a one time gratis to subs... just to introduce the idea; but that is just how I think. I find the game has far more serious problems than that of new content releases.

This game failed in terms of subscription retention. So now, this is how they as a company are needing to exploit their user base to turn a shareholder profit; as Lord Cutler Beckett said "Nothing personal, Jack... it's just good business". I am just happy to see that this game has not (yet) turned into a Pay to Win system.

The point of this is is that so many more basic and mini-features are being added to the Cartel Market, to the point that they might even charge for extra abilities (and probably extra quickbars :rolleyes: [oh wait, they already did that...]) with Cartel Coins. It's ridiculous.

These people are desperate for more cash, to the point where having a sub itself is just degrading without spending anything on the CM. I have been considering quitting the game, but I did renew my subscription so I will use these next few months to reflect on the state of the game. If I see more Cartel Market-driven updates, it will be time for me to finally jump ship.

Things like new character class (Catharan) as a subscriber we shouldn't have to pay for or the new planet with level cap we should get as part of our subscription or at least at a heavily discounted price. For those of you who paid early for the update you have been fleeced. If you are a subscriber you get the option of paying for it at a discounted price of $10. If you are F2P you pay $20. Lets do the math. Subscriber = $15 for monthly + an additional $10 for the update = $25. If you're F2P and haven't spent any money on cartel packs or anything else they nickle and dime us for then you come out ahead. So as a subscriber 15 monthly + $10 for update = 25. F2p 1 time purchase $20. 25-20 =5. That means as subscribers we are not getting a deal and in fact are paying more.

For those who may have bought this pleas don't feel offended. I paid for this myself and it was only after sitting with a friend and breaking it down did I realize how this worked out. It does not stop there. These cartel packs that they advertise should also be something we should get at a discount or one or two a month as a perk. A good portion of what are in these packs are costume pieces, which we should get anyway as subscribers in updates. For those who have jedi shadows/ sages sith sorcers / assassins you know the costume choices are a bit lacking. So new costume pieces should have been a problem addressed without having to pay extra to have some of the same options that medium and heavy armored characters have.

If you buy a cartel pack it should be for a rare or ultra rare that may not be needed but wanted rather than for a rare which so far I have found useless or for the chance at something very rare which I have yet to get. The other problem is cartel packs prices and coin prices. If you want the maximum amount which is 2400 then you have pay $20 real money for very coins that can be spent on one pack. So lets do the math 15 for a sub + 20 for coins = $35.

This is from part of a thread I posted over a month ago about this very thing. For the record I agree with you wholeheartedly

Things like new character class (Catharan) as a subscriber we shouldn't have to pay for or the new planet with level cap we should get as part of our subscription or at least at a heavily discounted price. For those of you who paid early for the update you have been fleeced. If you are a subscriber you get the option of paying for it at a discounted price of $10. If you are F2P you pay $20. Lets do the math. Subscriber = $15 for monthly + an additional $10 for the update = $25. If you're F2P and haven't spent any money on cartel packs or anything else they nickle and dime us for then you come out ahead. So as a subscriber 15 monthly + $10 for update = 25. F2p 1 time purchase $20. 25-20 =5. That means as subscribers we are not getting a deal and in fact are paying more.

For those who may have bought this pleas don't feel offended. I paid for this myself and it was only after sitting with a friend and breaking it down did I realize how this worked out. It does not stop there. These cartel packs that they advertise should also be something we should get at a discount or one or two a month as a perk. A good portion of what are in these packs are costume pieces, which we should get anyway as subscribers in updates. For those who have jedi shadows/ sages sith sorcers / assassins you know the costume choices are a bit lacking. So new costume pieces should have been a problem addressed without having to pay extra to have some of the same options that medium and heavy armored characters have.

If you buy a cartel pack it should be for a rare or ultra rare that may not be needed but wanted rather than for a rare which so far I have found useless or for the chance at something very rare which I have yet to get. The other problem is cartel packs prices and coin prices. If you want the maximum amount which is 2400 then you have pay $20 real money for very coins that can be spent on one pack. So lets do the math 15 for a sub + 20 for coins = $35.

This is from part of a thread I posted over a month ago about this very thing. For the record I agree with you wholeheartedly

A math whiz! Andryah won't be able to justify EA/BioWare's actions here. :p (She'll definitely post here, I'm betting 1 million credits she does.)

What I find extremely pitiful about the Cartel Packs is that a majority of them I've opened came with disgusting orange gear that you could buy from some random vendor. It's very, very difficult trying to get the rarer gear in the packs, and even harder to get those special mounts and crystals for your weapon.

They really are robbing us. :(

Not everyone who asked for a Barber shop wanted it as a Cartel Market item. And there have been MMOs where such a service was free to players.

A math whiz! Andryah won't be able to justify EA/BioWare's actions here. :p (She'll definitely post here, I'm betting 1 million credits she does.)

What I find extremely pitiful about the Cartel Packs is that a majority of them I've opened came with disgusting orange gear that you could buy from some random vendor. It's very, very difficult trying to get the rarer gear in the packs, and even harder to get those special mounts and crystals for your weapon.

So, because you didn't get the rare stuff you wanted from the Cartel Packs.....BW is robbing us.

Okay then.

Well I hope Andryah does post . This is a debate I wouldn't mind having thought the math speaks for itself:D. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. When I originally posted it I got flamed. But I do think that there are certain things as a subscriber we shouldn't have to pay for. Makeb for example is an update not an expansion. A true expansion is something like guild wars 2 where it is a huge add on to the original. That is an expansion and something I think is more than fair to pay for. What they are doing with putting the option to change your characters look in the cartel is robbery and I think as paying subscribers we shouldn't be nickle and dimed the way we are. I personally think its the dirty hand of EA. :(

I hope your thread gets enough hits so they take notice. Thanks for posting this

With all due respect... why wait. According to you the CM is the direction and the money grab is exactly what EA is planning on and known for.

As for basic features.... heh. It is all fluff. Not why I play this game. I'm not sure why people care so much about this. Again, with little or no information you have managed to make a mountain out of a molehill.

At this point. BW could do X and Y and Z... and you would be here to QQ whatever it is. Lest we forget, you already think leveling is subpar, the endgame is subpar, and the CM is a travesty... Sorry man. I try to be objective. I try to read posts I don't agree with to see if perhaps there is a valid point that deserves to be made. But yours are no longer worth a discussion. And interestingly enough you are biting at the bit to see how Andryah responds.... Heh. I think you should think about why you are here. The time for decisions about whether to stay or go have already come and gone for you.