why are people freaking out about Ilum in 1.7?

skiibyrd

Do you even play the game? Recruit gear is free. Also Ilum is a PVP planet so I guarantee this will contain PVP. If you don't like it don't participate.

And your Majority/Minority comment is completely wrong. They cater to the PVE crowd a majority of the time. What is wrong with 1 PVP event on the PVP planet?

I have been playing much longer then you bud fist off .... recruit gear is not free it costs you 350k in creds because you have to choose between 350k or recruit gear and if you hate PVP you are not taking the gear. ... Illum is not a pvp planet its got more pve then pvp on it and pvp has been dead on illum since they stopped kill trading for valor.

DO you even play this game? There is NO PVP PLANET IN THE GAME ... illum has a pvp area just like tattoinee does .. the difference Tat actually has a quick travel to it too ... which makes it MORE of a pvp planet then illum.

And no one goes there either.

The event is not PVP .... the reason it is not a PVP event is because this game is not a PVP centric game. THe majority are causal pve'ers sorry to say ... not raiders not pvpers .... that is a fact of MMOs especially free to play ones.

There goal is to get EVERYONE to participate in events PVEers which make up the majority will not enjoy or participate in a PVP event. AND normally that would be fine .... i agree with you no reason they cant have 1 pvp event.

BUT the problem with that is this is where we are getting the long time promised legecy lightsabers ... which means they would be FORCING people to PVP to get legacy weapons and gear. Which is something they have stated many times over would never happen.

Sorry to burst your PVP bubble but i have already explained and detailed what they did say and how it turns out that its not PVP at all...

but let me go further .... the game manager at Gamescom said that they would be rotating content in the F2P market .. raid one update ... pvp warzone in another .. event ... dailies ... all in rotation with no individual area getting more attention then another. The last update was PVP centric ... and they broke space combat so that made it even more PVP centric.

this event would be pvp if not for the big waste of 2 months in development warzone. Just saying ... its been a long time since we had PVE content added ... illum daily chain with BH com weekly makes ALOT more sense given what they actually said then a PVP event that isolates the majority of the games players for the sake of appeasing the left overs of the PVP community.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, and neither is PvP then by that logic, that's it folks, discussion over people, nothing to complain about

but it would be if an event was PVP centric ... and technically PVP is forced on PVE players allt more then PVE is forced on PVP players ... if you really want to get dimes and nickles about it

I am PvE only player and I would have no problems if this event was indeed PvP only. During the PvE events, PvPers were forced to either do PvE for a bit or pass any rewards. This time, if I'd have to pass the rewards (ain't no way to make me PvP), I will have no problems doing so. Can't please everybody.

Have fun beating each other! Go Republic!

Since you ignored this in the other thread...

NEW RECURRING EVENT: RELICS OF THE GREE

Explore Ilum's contested area in the Western Ice Shelf to uncover the mysterious purpose of the Gray Secant, an enormous ancient Gree starship.

Contested in the Western Ice Shelf of Ilum means PVP. The western part of Ilum right now is PVP.

it dierectly says NEW CONTENT ... which infers that it is a NEW area developed for the sake of NEW CONTENT which will also host the event.

AND where in that entire post does it say CONTESTED AREA?

Game Update 1.7: Return of the Gree is coming soon to The Old Republic™, allowing players to experience brand new in-game content, including a limited time event and an exciting new way to progress your character.

•Explore the Planet Ilum to unveil a new Event, Relics of the Gree! A mysterious ancient Gree starship called “the Gray Secant” has appeared over Ilum’s Western Ice Shelf. Those who are brave enough will get the chance to help the Gree and face off against a powerful foe waiting in the heart of the Gree vessel. Republic and Imperial forces that finish this mission will earn exclusive Gree technology, including highly advanced weapon and armor appearances!

•Advance your character with the new Galactic Reputation system! The Galactic Reputation system lets you earn Reputation points by completing missions for factions such as the Gree or the Voss, or for military divisions within the Republic and the Empire. This new system advances characters through six ranks of increasing prestige: “Outsider”, "Newcomer", "Friend", "Hero", "Champion", and "Legend". Galactic Reputation is also tied to a character’s Legacy, so Reputation points and ranks are shared across all the characters within the same Legacy!

Visit the Game Updates Page for additional information and screenshots of the content coming to Game Update 1.7. As always, you can stay connected with Star Wars: The Old Republic through Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20130115

no where

Edited by drfirewater

I am PvE only player and I would have no problems if this event was indeed PvP only. During the PvE events, PvPers were forced to either do PvE for a bit or pass any rewards. This time, if I'd have to pass the rewards (ain't no way to make me PvP), I will have no problems doing so. Can't please everybody.

Have fun beating each other! Go Republic!

I do have an issue if legacy lightsabers are not obtainable any way but through PVP ...... if there is a major element that is PVP focused it will just turn into kill trading anyway ... its what killed illum in the first place....

also I'm i not remembering correctly ... didnt damen and erik already state that they where doign something completely new with illum and it wouldnt have the pvp aspect anymore.... god i wish i could remember then quote or what video it was stated in.

I have been playing much longer then you bud fist off .... recruit gear is not free it costs you 350k in creds because you have to choose between 350k or recruit gear and if you hate PVP you are not taking the gear. ... Illum is not a pvp planet its got more pve then pvp on it and pvp has been dead on illum since they stopped kill trading for valor.

Just thought i would mention that they took out the token from the game , so you now don't have the option to take the money and run. I would have taken the money on a few characters myself. Mind you now you can take your 99 tionese crystals and then use some of the pvp recruit gear to make up your wrist and belt armor , until you get better or as someone else pointed out for your NPC.

I'm going to use the wait and see approach and if need be I will sprint through the PVP area to get to w/e it is I'm trying to get too , if that makes sense. Mind you if the rewards are PVP rewards then I might skip it.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Do you even play the game? Recruit gear is free. Also Ilum is a PVP planet so I guarantee this will contain PVP. If you don't like it don't participate.

And your Majority/Minority comment is completely wrong. They cater to the PVE crowd a majority of the time. What is wrong with 1 PVP event on the PVP planet?

I dont know that i would classify Ilum neccesarily as a PvP planet. I dont think its any different than Tattooine, a planet that has a PvP area.

What I am wondering about is where the information about the event being PvE-only came from? Or do people really believe that BW cannot make PvPvE?

The same goes to the Reputation system, people freaking out it will be only attainable through PvP

And, what is more important, nobody knows anything about it, except a brief concept text and few pictures. However, the extremely complex and catastrophic scenarios are abundant

but it would be if an event was PVP centric ... and technically PVP is forced on PVE players allt more then PVE is forced on PVP players ... if you really want to get dimes and nickles about it

By that logic, the first 2 events was forcing PVE on PVP players, if a PVP event is forcing PVP on PVE players.

And I would really love to hear your reasoning of how PVP is forced on PVE players more than PVE is for PVP, when you can play the entire game without ever doing any PVP, but it is not true the other way around.

I dont know that i would classify Ilum neccesarily as a PvP planet. I dont think its any different than Tattooine, a planet that has a PvP area.

Well this might be true now. It was a PvP planet back when you had a weekly and daily in which you had to kill players but that turned into a big mess eventually.

To the topic. I really could care less about PvE. My guild has more PvE players and I have filled raid spots when they were short and aside from doing the dailies in the black hole I just PvP. I can see how a PvE player might get discouraged from going to a zone that will flag you for PvP when you are rolling with 0 expertise and have limited knowledge on fighting other players. Honestly the information that has been leaked on 1.7 is very, very limited and don't think anyone should be jumping to conclusions.

Also about the "I don't want to have to partake in PvP to do something that is PvE". While I can somewhat agree with you I see some complaints about acquiring HK and needing to go to outlaws den, getting "forced" to PvP. If a PvP player wants this droid they will need to do more PvE then I'm sure most would like so its kind of a double standard imo.

forcing people to do pvp in order to do pve content on a pve server is what the problem is. DUH!!!

Not just that but I would also add we know so little about whats going to be there or how it's really designed we all get worked up in our speculations which makes things even worse.

but your still correct in your first sentence.

By that logic, the first 2 events was forcing PVE on PVP players, if a PVP event is forcing PVP on PVE players.

And I would really love to hear your reasoning of how PVP is forced on PVE players more than PVE is for PVP, when you can play the entire game without ever doing any PVP, but it is not true the other way around.

There was lots of PVP in the last event ....but it was avoidable for anyone who didnt want to do it. This is a story based MMO ... its PVE centric by nature .... PVP is not the focus of this game. So the majority rules .. majority are PVEers ... thus the PVE focus on the rest of the game.

Legeacy gear is a requirement for PVE crafting ... legacy Lightsabers where promised to PVE community in the next event (this event) because of crafting and gearing for PVE.

Sad to say this is not a fighting game .... its not a PVP focused game ... if you want pvp focused you would roll on a PVP server .... in which the event will be full fleged PVP event like you are saying you want.

A PVE server on the other hand is for PVEing .... it has optional PVP for those who want that option.

It makes no sense what so ever to have a PVP event on a PVE server. And since a PVE event on a PVP server is still open world PVP heavy. It is always win win for PVE content events.

You dont force PVEers to PVP ... and if PVPers ONLY want to PVP they would be on PVP servers where the event would be highly PVP focused. The truth however is people like you who are PVP focused want PVEers with no gear and no want for PVP to be forced into it so you can flex your epeen and gank them.

This is the reason the event wont be PVP focused .... cause they actually like making money and the stronger pvp focused community is basically gone from this game when they screwed over ranked by letting people form 8 man unranked gank teams in PVP.

Also about the "I don't want to have to partake in PvP to do something that is PvE". While I can somewhat agree with you I see some complaints about acquiring HK and needing to go to outlaws den, getting "forced" to PvP. If a PvP player wants this droid they will need to do more PvE then I'm sure most would like so its kind of a double standard imo.

if you mean the sm FP and the HM FP part sure i agree ... the idea behind that was to both encourage people to check out the PVP area of Tat and encourage people to use GF.

it worked but what htey learned from it was even if you force people to go into a PVP area .. still no one pvps there.

I walked right beside a group of people pvping that didnt even touch me as i went through. I agree that its entirely unjust to force PVE on PVPers .....

but you dont right a wrong by making another wrong. As i stated in another post .... if pvpers want a pvp event they can do the event on a pvp server ... objectives are much harder to achieve when you have 100s of people pvping around them. For a PVEer it removes all value in an update .. to a PVPer its a small forced to solo something for 20 mins. Big difference from forcing PVPers to PVE for a couple hours ... and forcing PVEers to play for days in a PVP zone getting nothing accomplished because they are being ganked all day and night.

There was lots of PVP in the last event ....but it was avoidable for anyone who didnt want to do it. This is a story based MMO ... its PVE centric by nature .... PVP is not the focus of this game. So the majority rules .. majority are PVEers ... thus the PVE focus on the rest of the game.

Alright, got it. You have no reasoning behind the statement that PVP is more forced on PVE.

Legeacy gear is a requirement for PVE crafting ...

That's a really strong word, I think you mean "useful".

legacy Lightsabers where promised to PVE community in the next event (this event) because of crafting and gearing for PVE.

Link?

Sad to say this is not a fighting game .... its not a PVP focused game ... if you want pvp focused you would roll on a PVP server .... in which the event will be full fleged PVP event like you are saying you want.

A PVE server on the other hand is for PVEing .... it has optional PVP for those who want that option.

Optional, like don't go in the PVP zone to take part in a PVP event if you don't like PVP.

It makes no sense what so ever to have a PVP event on a PVE server. And since a PVE event on a PVP server is still open world PVP heavy. It is always win win for PVE content events.

No sense? Really? So, it's impossible that someone could enjoy doing their leveling PVP free, and only partake in it when they choose to? Including queueing for Warzones and entering PVP zones.

You dont force PVEers to PVP ... and if PVPers ONLY want to PVP they would be on PVP servers where the event would be highly PVP focused. The truth however is people like you who are PVP focused want PVEers with no gear and no want for PVP to be forced into it so you can flex your epeen and gank them.

People like me? Where have I said that I do any sort of PVP? 99% of my time is spent doing PVE, I only rarely join warzones, and when I do I get my *** handed to me. But, I enjoyed Ilum PVP before it was removed because it was A) PVP on my terms, I chose to enter the zone, and B) it wasn't a clusterf*** of everyone mashed into a ball of AOEs like warzones are.

This is the reason the event wont be PVP focused .... cause they actually like making money and the stronger pvp focused community is basically gone from this game when they screwed over ranked by letting people form 8 man unranked gank teams in PVP.

That is an assumption, they have mentioned many times that they want to improve Ilum for open PVP, and I believe I remember them mentioning that they would be adding an event (this event) to foster that.

Alright, got it. You have no reasoning behind the statement that PVP is more forced on PVE.

That's a really strong word, I think you mean "useful".

Link?

Optional, like don't go in the PVP zone to take part in a PVP event if you don't like PVP.

No sense? Really? So, it's impossible that someone could enjoy doing their leveling PVP free, and only partake in it when they choose to? Including queueing for Warzones and entering PVP zones.

People like me? Where have I said that I do any sort of PVP? 99% of my time is spent doing PVE, I only rarely join warzones, and when I do I get my *** handed to me. But, I enjoyed Ilum PVP before it was removed because it was A) PVP on my terms, I chose to enter the zone, and B) it wasn't a clusterf*** of everyone mashed into a ball of AOEs like warzones are.

That is an assumption, they have mentioned many times that they want to improve Ilum for open PVP, and I believe I remember them mentioning that they would be adding an event (this event) to foster that.

They did....

From State Of the Game #2...

Topic #2: World PvP – What happened to making Ilum better? What is going on with Open World PvP?

Answer: We have not forgotten Ilum! I think you will see (fairly soon) the answer to this question in the game itself - something big is coming to the Western Ice Shelf, but it’s quite a departure from what was there before. As for pure Open World PvP…well, that’s a more difficult proposition. We are dedicated to providing excellent PvP experiences to our players, but we intend to focus our energy on PvP Seasons and new Warzones. We will be experimenting with a different approach to Open World PvP, something that encourages organic PvP in contested areas in a new and interesting way, but do not look for massive new Open World PvP this year (outside of what I mentioned above). It is still on our design wall, but is taking a back seat to other forms of PvP.

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Well this might be true now. It was a PvP planet back when you had a weekly and daily in which you had to kill players but that turned into a big mess eventually.

To the topic. I really could care less about PvE. My guild has more PvE players and I have filled raid spots when they were short and aside from doing the dailies in the black hole I just PvP. I can see how a PvE player might get discouraged from going to a zone that will flag you for PvP when you are rolling with 0 expertise and have limited knowledge on fighting other players. Honestly the information that has been leaked on 1.7 is very, very limited and don't think anyone should be jumping to conclusions.

Well true, it did used to be a PvP based planet but even then you had to go inro a PvP designated area because you werent automatically flagged jusy for goong to Ilum as i recall. You could argue im just splittong hairs and id agree. Now to that end though, someone who does PvP doing PvE content it isnt exactly a big imposition. If anything its easier because youre ave to do content without the added frustration of other people trying to take you out too. I dont really PvP but once in a blue moon but if this is a PvP event Ill probably do it anyways, just because i like doing events like this and the gear that comes out of it.

Edit: I was going to fix all the stupid spelling errors my phone made for me bur rralized there were just too many do ill just say "FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU phone" and say you know what i mean anyways.

Edited by Hyfy

I really don't see the issue. I know... it's been talk to death. But simply, IF you don't want to PvP, then don't participate in the event tied to 1.7. I'm a PvE player. I rarely, if ever, do any PvP. But, for HK, I did and it was fine. Yes, there was a risk but it was worth it. And so what if you get killed. It's not like it doesn't happen in PvE. lol!

I've already stated that I enjoy the challenge and uncertainty. And I had a blast with the HK-51 hunt. But really... it's not like they are changing the game or the servers to Open world PvP. It is part of an instance that will be part of an event with 1.7. If you don't want to participate for whatever reason, you don't, and move on. The game is still intact and the core pieces are the same.

No one is being forced to do anything.

Yeah it's ridiculous. Ilum IS A PVP PLANET. It has PVP objectives and valor boosts on the pvp side. If you have to go there for the new event it's to encourage PVP.

We've had 2 PVE events. It's about time we get a PVP one.

Having a PvP event is fine. PvP for PvP is fine. Having to PvP for PvE not so much.