Finally, its happening!

"The opportunity to do a new Battlefront, for example, which is one of the very popular Star Wars games, or some of the other traditional games that were made, is very exciting." ~ EA

Just found an article on this today. DICE has set up a studio in LA for production of Star Wars and now EA have heavily hinted that the long awaited Battlefront 3 is on its way. I think finally we can say this is happening.

Don't mess it up EA. :jawa_evil:

Read the full article here.

P.S. 'Some of the other traditional games? What's he referring to there? (Do I here you saying KOTOR 3? *crosses fingers in vain*)

"The opportunity to do a new Battlefront, for example, which is one of the very popular Star Wars games, or some of the other traditional games that were made, is very exciting." ~ EA

Just found an article on this today. DICE has set up a studio in LA for production of Star Wars and now EA have heavily hinted that the long awaited Battlefront 3 is on its way. I think finally we can say this is happening.

P.S. 'Some of the other traditional games? What's he referring to there? (Do I here you saying KOTOR 3? *crosses fingers in vain*)

I'd play a KOTOR 1 & 2 with up to date graphics in a heart beat. For some reason I just can't get past the x-box graphics x.x

BATTLEFIELD 3?!!!

YES OH YES!!!

Here's my hope, they do battles from the EU. more, past Return of the Jedi. And bring in some more fighter vs fighter combat along with ground fighting.

But finally! YES!!!

BATTLEFRONT, BATTLEFRONT - don't speak such sacrilege! :D

But yeah Aurbere, this probably is going to be milked for all its worth like the Battlefield series. But ah well 10 games in 2 years with minor improvements and at escalating prices is better than none I guess...

Short term memory loss? You replied in a thread that I made about it days ago talking about how you did not know much about DICE and even expressed the thought that you think that it might not be a good idea.

But yeah Aurbere, this probably is going to be milked for all its worth like the Battlefield series. But ah well 10 games in 2 years with minor improvements and at escalating prices is better than none I guess...

Oddly enough, it was the same thread where I explained to you that they did not make that many games and that most of the titles that you pasted were DLC.

What's up with the memory Ben?

Edited by TheBBP

It's EA. What do you expect? I'm only excited for Battlefront 3, but I still have doubts with EA in the mix. I'm sure the game will be great, but I'm concerned about how it will be handled.

Short term memory loss? You replied in a thread that I made about it days ago talking about how you did not know much about DICE and even expressed the thought that you think that it might not be a good idea.

Oddly enough, it was the same thread where I explained to you that they did not make that many games and that most of the titles that you pasted were DLC.

What's up with the memory Ben?

I think I might have threw you with that comment about LA. This is different, this was at some tech conference when 'CFO Blake Jorgensen' whoever he is, hinted that they were actually going to make Battlefront. Whereas when setting up camp at LA they didn't really say anything of the kind.

Sure they said Star Wars games and DICE produce first-person shooters so it was kinda obvious, but then again given BF3's history you can't say anything for certain. This pretty much solidifies that its happening.

So yeah basically, different thing, same topic.

P.S. And yeah, I did exaggerate a little. :p Still you can't deny that Battefield is fairly mass produced. I also recall expressing my reservations towards DLC. Not exactly any better, I'd rather just have the whole game all in one for the standard price.

D'oh!! -bows- i'm not worthy!

I think I might have threw you with that comment about LA. This is different, this was at some tech conference when 'CFO Blake Jorgensen' whoever he is, hinted that they were actually going to make Battlefront. Whereas when setting up camp at LA they didn't really say anything of the kind.

Sure they said Star Wars games and DICE produce first-person shooters so it was kinda obvious, but then again given BF3's history you can't say anything for certain. This pretty much solidifies that its happening.

So yeah basically, different thing, same topic.

P.S. And yeah, I did exaggerate a little. :p Still you can't deny that Battefield is fairly mass produced. I also recall expressing my reservations towards DLC. Not exactly any better, I'd rather just have the whole game all in one for the standard price.

DLC is how things go now. You are going to have to learn to deal with that.

Sadly true. :(

Though not always a bad thing, so we'll see how it goes. I'm just happy that someone is finally producing BF3.

The bad part about DLC is that it is usually already done pre-release. They just use it to squeeze out more money from people.

But, yes, so happy for a new Battlefront. I still have reservations about it, but I'm still excited.

[

P.S. 'Some of the other traditional games? What's he referring to there? (Do I here you saying KOTOR 3? *crosses fingers in vain*

TOR and the Revan book were supposed to be KOTOR 3 in terms of story, or they fill that roll very much. However I can easily see another KOTOR era RPG being made...

Traditional to me sings more of ROUGE SQUADRON series, X-Wing flight games and DarkForces/Jedi Knight series. I would love some more Rouge Squadrons xD

TOR and the Revan book were supposed to be KOTOR 3 in terms of story, or they fill that roll very much. However I can easily see another KOTOR era RPG being made...

Traditional to me sings more of ROUGE SQUADRON series, X-Wing flight games and DarkForces/Jedi Knight series. I would love some more Rouge Squadrons xD

Yeah I think I'm being a little optimistic with KOTOR 3, I also feel that as long as SWTOR is around we won't be seeing another Star Wars RPG for some time.

But yeah, the fighter series and first-person 'shooters' are likely what we will see being reprised. Which is good because I never really ever got into these games and it would be nice to experience them.

The bad part about DLC is that it is usually already done pre-release. They just use it to squeeze out more money from people.

But, yes, so happy for a new Battlefront. I still have reservations about it, but I'm still excited.

Basically my thoughts exactly. Lol, reminds me of this image. Edited by Beniboybling

retail prices for games are about the same as they were 15 years ago, but the cost to produce AAA games has gone up quite a bit in that same period of time. so to keep their profit margins game co's make DLC. without DLC, top line AAA games would retail for over $100.

retail prices for games are about the same as they were 15 years ago, but the cost to produce AAA games has gone up quite a bit in that same period of time. so to keep their profit margins game co's make DLC. without DLC, top line AAA games would retail for over $100.
I disagree. DLC is unnecessary if the game you produce is good quality, well marketed, managed and subsequently successful. For example: Skyrim - I highly successful game and no DLC whatsoever. EA on the other hand are naturally going to opt for DLC - being the Worst Company in America they don't exactly have a dedicated fan base wanting to buy their games, nor do they have much in the dept. of respect for the medium they are handling. If EA weren't so crap at producing games, they wouldn't be relying on DLC to prop themselves up.

Battlefront 3 - with its massive fan base of Star Wars fans - has no need for DLC, so if they introduce it I'll now that what the real incentive is. Money.

I disagree. DLC is unnecessary if the game you produce is good quality, well marketed, managed and subsequently successful. For example: Skyrim - I highly successful game and no DLC whatsoever. EA on the other hand are naturally going to opt for DLC - being the Worst Company in America they don't exactly have a dedicated fan base wanting to buy their games, nor do they have much in the dept. of respect for the medium they are handling. If EA weren't so crap at producing games, they wouldn't be relying on DLC to prop themselves up.

Battlefront 3 - with its massive fan base of Star Wars fans - has no need for DLC, so if they introduce it I'll now that what the real incentive is. Money.

hard to take you seriously with that kind of stuff but ill try. :p

you can disagree with what I said but its actually the truth. another reason for DLC is devs are less limited by release dates set by the publishers. take KOTOR 2 for example, all the stuff that was cut out of the game was done so because they had to meet deadlines. with DLC, unfinished stuff can easily be added to the game in DLC and the publishers are happy to allow extra work to be done after a game launches because of DLC. would have been really nice to have DLC for KOTOR 2 to add in all the stuff that was cut out.

you can wear your tinfoil hate if you want, but the truth is, game companies can only ever charge what people are willing to pay. that is how our economic system works. DLC is popular because people are willing to pay for it. you can hate on EA all you want but they do make and publish a large number of successful games. and they make money like every good business is supposed to do.

Edited by MiaRB

hard to take you seriously with that kind of stuff but ill try. :p

you can disagree with what I said but its actually the truth. another reason for DLC is devs are less limited by release dates set by the publishers. take KOTOR 2 for example, all the stuff that was cut out of the game was done so because they had to meet deadlines. with DLC, unfinished stuff can easily be added to the game in DLC and the publishers are happy to allow extra work to be done after a game launches because of DLC. would have been really nice to have DLC for KOTOR 2 to add in all the stuff that was cut out.

you can wear your tinfoil hate if you want, but the truth is, game companies can only ever charge what people are willing to pay. that is how our economic system works. DLC is popular because people are willing to pay for it. you can hate on EA all you want but they do make and publish a large number of successful games. and they make money like every good business is supposed to do.

This doesn't exactly explain how Skyrim and other AAA games were incredibly successful without the aid of DLC. And how many other developers do well without messing their customers around. Indeed EA wouldn't find themselves spending so much money if they didn't waste it on overblown marketing.

Your point about release dates if only supporting my point: mismanagement, one of the many reasons the games fail. Games should never be released unfinished in the manner that KOTOR 2 was released. DLC may be an effective way of mopping up a mess but that mess shouldn't be their in the first place.

Of course people are willing to pay for it, but that doesn't make it necessary, or a good thing. I'm not disputing the quality of the content, that's definitely there, and that's why people buy it - but they are still milking their customers either way. For example if your a massive fan of Mass Effect your going to pay for DLC aren't you? Even if you do realise your being exploited. And then of course you have the more 'casual' gamers who are content to buy into EA's schemes without realizing the damage EA is doing to the industry as a whole. Such questionable business practices wouldn't happen if they weren't viable - unless your denying their existence and application?

And anyone who thinks that EA are a 'good business' are out of their mind. They are a terrible business. Nobody gets voted Worst Company in America twice for being a 'good' business. However if business just means making money then yeah, they're great at that. Its no conspiracy that EA are a terrible business, and have no respect for their customers, its blatantly obvious.

P.S. Saying 'its actually the truth' unfortunately doesn't make it so.

P.P.S Do you know what I could accuse you of right now? An EA hired troll - yeah cause EA actually does that. They are that bad. (Not actually accusing you of being one, unless you are....:eek:

Edited by Beniboybling

I disagree. DLC is unnecessary if the game you produce is good quality, well marketed, managed and subsequently successful. For example: Skyrim - I highly successful game and no DLC whatsoever.

Skyrim has had three DLC packs released: Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn. The first and last of these, both of which introduced new (or "new", depending on your point of view) areas and quests, were initially priced at $20, while Hearthfire, which was mostly just a customization upgrade, initially cost $5. So if you wish to make an argument that DLC is unnecessary for AAA game title production and pricing, then Skyrim is not your best angle.

Bethesda was in fact one of the first companies to really ride the paid DLC idea, with Fallout 3 and Oblivion. They used it both for relatively benign, justifiable things, like extensions and epilogues to the main game story, and for silly things, like the Horse Armor pack. They also, famously, used DLC to rewrite Fallout 3's ending.

And that's just the objective stuff. You can make an argument that Skyrim was not of particularly good quality or well managed, but that it enjoyed excellent marketing and a sizable built-in fanbase that was willing to accept purchasing a mediocre product because of its large and skilled modding community. But that's an argument, and it's intrinsically subjective, and you may very well disagree.

Edited by Euphrosyne

Skyrim has had three DLC packs released: Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn. The first and last of these, both of which introduced new (or "new", depending on your point of view) areas and quests, were initially priced at $20, while Hearthfire, which was mostly just a customization upgrade, initially cost $5. So if you wish to make an argument that DLC is unnecessary for AAA game title production and pricing, then Skyrim is not your best angle.

Bethesda was in fact one of the first companies to really ride the paid DLC idea, with Fallout 3 and Oblivion, both for relatively benign, justifiable things, like extensions and epilogues to the main game story, and for silly things, like the (in)famous Horse Armor pack.

And that's just the objective stuff. You can make an argument that Skyrim was not of particularly good quality or well managed, but that it enjoyed excellent marketing and a sizable built-in fanbase that was willing to accept purchasing a mediocre product because of its large and skilled modding community. But that's an argument, and it's intrinsically subjective, and you may very well disagree.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used DLC as a blanket term. What I meant is not launching with cut content (which would later be given to players at a price), day-one DLC etc. On the other hand Dawnguard and Dragonborn are essentially the modern day equivalent to expansion packs and given the fact that there were released 1-2 years after the game's initial release, we can assume they were not cut content.

But I'm not saying Bethesda are a perfect example, Valve would probably be a better example of how to treat your customers right. And Witcher 2 (as far as I'm aware) is another AAA game without DLC, yet. And I doubt you'll get very far with the argument that Skyrim was poor quality... I'm not even a massive fan and yet can still realise it as a very, very good game indeed.

At some point you need to stop letting your distaste for EA for these "facts" of yours. A while back you were talking about how BF was mass-produced with over a dozen titles in 3 years. I explained that to you so that you understood that most of those titles were DLC.

Skyrim has no DLC? For real? Again, stop letting your distaste for EA manufacture your facts.

You are also claiming that EA cut ME3 short so that they could sell DLC later. The main quest line is known to fall in between 20 and 41 hours by itself. Does that sound like folks were shortchanged to you?

EA, regardless of what you think of them are still a premier publisher of games and they do indeed have a fanbase of gamers who buy their titles.

Edited by TheBBP