Stat Modifications

Moutlael

I now have a full set of Stock War Hero gear. I play Gunnery PvP. What stats should I change to optimize my gear/damage output. And please do not make this a thread about, "Gunnery sux, roll new toon" I enjoy playing my Mando. Thank you in advance for the Helpful advice.

Stack AIM and END. AIM is your base stat(always good) and END for survivabity for which the commando needs some help. POW helps tech abilities but as gunnery you will rely more on your general ranged damage so other than AIM/END you might want to stack CRIT and SURGE for burst DPS.

Almost forgot, you will want to stack accuracy untill you reach 100% or you will be missing players often and negating a lot of your damage. Once at or near 100 stack the other stats.

Edited by ChicagoBearsFan
Info

power adds to ranged bonus damage too

also, there's no reason to stack accuracy that high. all ranged and tech attacks have 100% accuracy. the only attack that doesn't is your basic attack, hammershot (the tooltip in your character panel is slightly misleading)

everyone has a 5% base defense chance, so getting up to 95% ranged accuracy is all you need to make sure you overcome this. some classes (like assault commandos, scrapper scoundrels, and combat shadows) get an additional 2% bonus to defense from skill points, so pushing to 97% accuracy can be worth it.

anything above that is only useful against tanks, and it will take a lot of accuracy to overcome the defense chance completely.

Edited by oaceen

power adds to ranged bonus damage too

also, there's no reason to stack accuracy that high. all ranged and tech attacks have 100% accuracy. the only attack that doesn't is your basic attack, hammershot (the tooltip in your character panel is slightly misleading)

everyone has a 5% base defense chance, so getting up to 95% ranged accuracy is all you need to make sure you overcome this. some classes (like assault commandos, scrapper scoundrels, and combat shadows) get an additional 2% bonus to defense from skill points, so pushing to 97% accuracy can be worth it.

anything above that is only useful against tanks, and it will take a lot of accuracy to overcome the defense chance completely.

What?

We start with 90% accuracy which means against 0 base defence chance we will miss 10% with our white damage attacks.

To hit 100% with white damage against 0 base defence chance we need 100% accuracy.

And for that matter all consulars and inquisitors have a 10% base defence chance.

What?

We start with 90% accuracy which means against 0 base defence chance we will miss 10% with our white damage attacks.

To hit 100% with white damage against 0 base defence chance we need 100% accuracy.

only the level 1 free attack has basic (90%) accuracy.

the reason we need to get a 10% bonus to accuracy in PVE is because raid bosses (and i'm assuming many other NPCs) have 10% defense

And for that matter all consulars and inquisitors have a 10% base defence chance.

cool

Edited by oaceen

Well that thread is 100% incorrect. ALL attacks specified as "range" type attacks are 90%. Go hit the regular level 50 dummy (not operation) and you will miss with full auto ~10% of the time over a large sample size. Tech and force abilities have 100% accuracy as a base. Just because there's a thread that claims that hammershot is the only 90% accuracy attack, that doesn't mean the thread is correct. Go test it, and you'll see that we're correct. I literally just took off all accuracy pieces, used only full auto, and missed 12 total ticks out of 102 possible ticks. (which means 34 casts of full auto)

ALL attacks specified as "range" type attacks are 90%.

No, *you're* 100% incorrect. You're operating under laughably false pretenses.

The ops dummy has a default defense of ~10%, meaning that your accuracy is reduced by 10% when attacking it. If you used your Hammer Shot (a basic attack) without any accuracy, you would experience roughly 20% of your attacks missing because it has a base accuracy of 90% which gets reduced by the target's defense to 80%.

another thing you can do is get to 100% ranged accuracy and see how often your hammershot still misses.

here's a sample log from last week or so where my character has 100.04% ranged accuracy

TFB HM

parse for the whole night (1.24 hours), so there's plenty of data.

notice hammershot missed 8.1% of the time and no other attack missed at all.

the thread i linked isn't people just guessing about mechanics or doing tests in game (except to verify conclusions i'm sure). they've datamined the hit calculations of the game itself to figure all that stuff out.

Edited by oaceen

Was looking for more advice geared towards min/maxing, Accuracy argument put to the side... in PvP I follow the argument that a couple misses is worth it if my normal hits are stronger, more than make up for it. So any suggestions for min/maxing?

Ops bosses have the same base defense as the ops dummy (10%). Go run a parse on a boss fight in a hm op with zero accuracy rating and you will miss 9-10% of the time over a large sample size on ALL ranged attacks. There's a reason they gave ops dummies 10% base defense..... To mimic bosses. You fail

Moutlael,

Your first priority should be to work towards the Elite war hero set. Until you have that min/maxing is somewhat of a waste as you will be cashing in you WH gear soon enough. However I would go ahead and drop the credits to augment you current WH set but remember to pull out all the augments, mods, enhancements and even armorings if you want to before trading that piece in. You can use some of them to tweek your EWH set or they work well on companions.

Your augments should be the aim/end augments. If you want to throw on a few power or surge augments you can, but for DPS commando AIM is actually slightly better (POW being slightly better for heal spec). Don't forget about expertise, but once you have 1200-1300ish you can actually start swapping out some PVP modifications for PVE ones that have higher stat gains.

AIM - more the better, can't have too much.

END- survivabity, can't have too much.

Accuracy- Read the above debate and draw your own conclusions.

POW- boosts ALL tech damage which is the majority of commandos arsenal. Very important, no diminishing return. You can't go wrong with POW. (please note that you want AIM over POW if the slot item has the same value of each)

CRIT- stack to about 30-35% beyond that you can get better returns with other stats.

Surge- stack to about 75% or so.

After you have your EWH set, browse around at the gear at the vendor and write down the pieces that have the modifications that you want. Make sure in settings you have the option selected that allows you to view the stats of modification inserts in the vendor window (extremely handy)

That's about all I can tell you, the rest is really your preference and you will have to play with it and adjust it to your play style, ( ie. maybe you want to sacrifice some END for another stat, etc)

Hope this helps and is what you are looking for.

Edited by ChicagoBearsFan

Ops bosses have the same base defense as the ops dummy (10%). Go run a parse on a boss fight in a hm op with zero accuracy rating and you will miss 9-10% of the time over a large sample size on ALL ranged attacks. There's a reason they gave ops dummies 10% base defense..... To mimic bosses. You fail
and your hammershot will miss closer to 20% of the time.

i would really love to put this conversation to rest, but only when people stop spreading misinformation.

Was looking for more advice geared towards min/maxing, Accuracy argument put to the side... in PvP I follow the argument that a couple misses is worth it if my normal hits are stronger, more than make up for it. So any suggestions for min/maxing?
i honestly didn't expect it to tangent out of control.

first, for augments, go all aim instead of power.

also, find a set of orange gear you'll want to use for PVP and put everything into that. you need to trade in your WH shells for the EWH stuff (and i'm assuming at some point you'll need to trade in the EWH stuff for whatever comes after), so there's no point in augmenting that when you'll have to get rid of it eventually and augment all over again.

in terms of crit vs power, you will want anywhere from 200-350 crit (on the lower end for higher-hitting attacks when you do crit, on the higher end so that you crit more often)

i would probably suggest somewhere in the middle (i haven't done PVP in a while, but i believe my crit is around 250)

after you find your ideal crit rating, go all power on your mods and enhancements. go for the ones with higher power or crit because you will sacrifice endurance, a little bit of aim, and get a LOT of power or crit, which is definitely worth it. which may seem contradictory since i said go all aim for augments, but aim is only slightly better than power or crit, so the tradeoff on mods is worth it.

for enhancements, go for the low endurance ones, otherwise you are trading crit or power for endurance.

for relics, go boundless ages (120 static power on the EWH). don't bother with any of the proc ones.

from memory (though i'm not in game to be 100% sure), for implants and earpieces, there's really no reason to get EWH. it's a very minimal upgrade (and in some cases, a downgrade) from the WH. you'll have to check to verify, but i recall deciding to stay with WH implants and earpiece