films let down vader

turnoverla-page

At the time of the OT, Lightsabers were meant to be heavy swords that only a Jedi or Sith could use. Vader was not only using a heavy weapon, but was also in that suit so the actor (can't recall his name) couldn't move all that fast.

Plus the sword fights were meant to tell a story, not a spectacular display of awesomeness. I personally prefer the fights in the PT, but the OT fights were good as well. Both trilogies had good fights, and each fight was well done imo.

good point but it is anoying to see him in battlefront making himself fly and just walking around beasting everybody, for his lightsaber fights in the films especially the first one the lightsaber barely mooving

Well the first fight we see him is against Obi-Wan. Vader was being very cautious, he didn't know what Obi-Wan was going to do and he did lose to him on Mustafar. Obi-Wan was also very old, past his prime, using Soresu the most defensive Lightsaber form. They were basically feeling each other out.

Second fight, Vader is a bit more mobile, but was testing Luke. He didn't want to kill him.

Final fight. Vader is being more agressive, but still holding back. This proves to be his downfall though.

good point but it is anoying to see him in battlefront making himself fly and just walking around beasting everybody, for his lightsaber fights in the films especially the first one the lightsaber barely mooving

We can probably attribute much of this to Vader's suit. Supposedly it was heavy and restrictive, to the extent that it was difficult for him to raise his arms over his head, though he could if he really had to. His prosthetic limbs were sometimes slow to respond, his audio sensors transmitted too much ambient noise too loudly, and he lacked the full range of peripheral vision. Before Mustafar he had suffered some sort of serious neck injury, though we don't know the extent of the damage to his spinal cord. His suit also sustains a significant amount of damage between the time he is put into it and the time he duels Obi-Wan. Repairs may have had to have been made the same way the original suit was--hastily and subpar. Later on moving him into a better, upgraded suit was considered but deemed too dangerous.

He had to adjust his lightsaber style both to compensate for his new physical limitations and to protect his chest panel, which was extremely vulnerable.

So when you consider that the guy's basically dragging around an iron lung and a regulatory system for every function of his body, it starts to make sense. Not that it wouldn't have been cool to see the more showy lightsaber work he was capable of before Mustafar. Our main person to blame is, of course, George Lucas--lightsaber combat was revised from A New Hope to Return of the Jedi to be "faster and more intense" and was completely rethought for the prequel trilogy.

I'm getting all my information from here. The backstory is no longer strong with this one.

Vader's suit: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Vader%27s_armor

Lightsaber combat: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat

So many ways to Debat this .

1 Vadar was slow because he had robot limbs .............General Grievous was fast and made mostly Machine

2 Vadar lightsaber skills (I believe was a Budget issue in the OT )

* I took fencing for 2 years as a child , the number one reason behind it was that I was inspired by Star Wars OT . Soon after taking that and taking 2 other forms of Sword Fighting styles I can say that Luke , Vader , and Obi-Wan from OT look mostly like they are swinging Baseball bats . (I know the Fanboys gonna hate that one)

Personally I like that Vader does not run but walks , it makes him seem more able than slow . I do think there is alot of issues with OT now because of the PT ! In the PT the Jedi and Sith are really using Sword Fighting Styles and not just swinning a pole around .

I will say for the end of ROTJ when Luke is facing off with Vader , the reckless swinging made alot of sense in a factor of emotion was all over the place but even then a TRUELY trained Sword fighting would have fought 100x better . Again I think this all had to do with lack of Budget or imput or God only knows .

I will say this could also be because of the time of the filming but even then Fencing was largely around in America to anyone who took a second to find it . There are also skilled English Sword Fighters but maybe not on the level of what was used in PT , Lucas only needed to look and I am sure he could of found someone .

I love the OT movies , I have 3 sets of VHS , 1 Set of DVDs , and just recently watched them 2 weeks ago with my 6year old son whom I watch CloneWars with .

Just to mention one detain................Han used a Gun better in the OT movies than most movies that came out before and after PT StarWars . Either Lucas is a gun user or researched into Guns alot more than sword fighting.

This can all be debated all day , but OT sword fights were epic in thought and visually for that time period but realistically behind and poorly researched even for that day and time .

LONG LIVE EMPEROR GEORGE LUCAS !

EDIT.....I am in no shape or Form saying Lucas should have used Fencing , While maybe 1 Jedi using it would be cool , I do not think it would sit well in the StarWars universe and the way the LightSabers are built and the abilities they can reach if used correctly . Before I get trollololololololed !

Edited by mefit

Mark Hamill had to learn kendo for episodes 5 and 6 if I remember correctly. In the PT the fights were there too look impressive and awesome. In the OT the fights were emotionally driven there was a lot more going on than just a lightsaber fight.