Will they release 1.5 with current memory leak situation?

Matty-Wan

The thing that really kills FPS in combat is all the AOE and healing effects (especially the ground targeted ones). When you have many of them going off at the same time in one small area it really kills it. Their graphics need toning down to remove a lot of the un-nessessary clutter/bloat, or some other limitations. Things like non-combat pets should be removed in WZs and Ops as well.

On high detail using a 670gtx my FPS can go from over 100 on the fleet with 120ish people on it, to around 30 in 8 man combat. So something is wrong somewhere...

Edited by NasherUK

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did, please re-read what I wrote.

Which proves nothing, because human nature being what it is.... more people will complain when they have a problem then will come back and continue to post becasue their problem was resolved. That said, there have been many helpful threads and posts by members trying to help other members by providing information that may be helpful in resolving an issue. Yet you deliberately ignore this in an effort to prosecute your view. ;)

Indeed, and the fact is that people have been DCing in MMOs while being in groups/raids since MMOs started. So all you are doing is stating the obvious, with no direct tie back to the discussion. Besides, in most cases DCs have little or nothing to do with the server, and everything to do with the long internet pathway between client and server. Not always... but often.

1. You did not disclose any facts. Those were mere opinion or at best operational assumptions of the point you are trying to make.

You would have weight in your frustration IF it was widely common place across the player base. But its not. It's situational with some players particular computer configurations, and many players who had issues at 1.4 launch have since had them elmininated via subsequent patches OR adjustments they made on their computer.

You seem to be certain the issue is not widely common across the player base. I don't think it affects all players but I do think is far more common than you think. And I am not talking about forums; I am talking about in-game guildmates, friends , pugging FPS... you just can't miss it !

You assume it is entirely restricted to particular configurations. Unproven.

You say some players who had this issues since 1.4 have had them resolved. Sure. I think the majority have not.

You say you have facts to back those claims... again. Where are the facts ? All I read are opinions/hypothesis.

2. Deliberately ignoring threads ? I don't understand neither the relevance of your statement nor what you are trying to conclude from it.

3. You have made your point multiple times about a) people have had disconnects for the longest time in MMOs; b) this issues are all ( most times) client/ISP side; c) the issues are platform/ISP specific. You show those as if they were all relevant facts. The are questionable as both facts and relevant.

There is only one relevant fact: Many people have had decreased performance since 1.4 in the form of lag spikes/DCs etc. Most of those people did nothing to improve/degrade their system the day before 1.4 hit. The change came from the patch.

It's called the internet. And connection performance problems are not always isolated to one particular ISP. When I was having connection issues a few months ago.... it was not just my ISP... but it was also not all ISP as some people were playing fine, and others were having problems. AND it was nothing on Bioware's end of things... it was the internet backbone routes between client/server.

The operative point here being that it is biased and inappropriate to just blame Bioware for every internet performance problem players encounter. Sometimes it is clearly spanning a wide set of players on a server and it is determined to be a server. Sometimes it's not.

In the spirit of leaving the dead horse alone, let me just state what I had at the end of the last post:

A noticeable degradation in performance came the minute 1.4 hit. Thus, it is understandable to look at BW for answers.

That is all...

There is only one relevant fact: Many people have had decreased performance since 1.4 in the form of lag spikes/DCs etc. Most of those people did nothing to improve/degrade their system the day before 1.4 hit. The change came from the patch.

The relevant fact is that some people are having decreased performance, NOT many.

You can project your personal experience into the word MANY all you want, but that does not make it a fact. IF there were large volumes of posts in the customer support forum about performance problems.. then you start to have a leg for your table of assertion. But that is not the case.

Yes, there was a spike of issues right after 1.4 popped on FPS issues.. and Bioware has patched to fix most of those and players also adjusted their systems as well. So that's largely past tense now. I have seen no evidence that the DCs and spikes are Bioware induced so far. And in the past, when a lot of people experienced such problems, the cause went directly back to the internet backbones, not Bioware.

The relevant fact is that some people are having decreased performance, NOT many.

You can project your personal experience into the word MANY all you want, but that does not make it a fact. IF there were large volumes of posts in the customer support forum about performance problems.. then you start to have a leg for your table of assertion. But that is not the case.

Yes, there was a spike of issues right after 1.4 popped on FPS issues.. and Bioware has patched to fix most of those and players also adjusted their systems as well. So that's largely past tense now. I have seen no evidence that the DCs and spikes are Bioware induced so far. And in the past, when a lot of people experienced such problems, the cause went directly back to the internet backbones, not Bioware.

Really, how much do they pay you for this?

Ok, let me explain it more precisely, the issue is as follows:

1- LFG match up windows pops up, every1 press ready and travel now

2- We all get into the FP but 1, he then says on TS, im stuck at 33% on loading screen

3- 1 min after that he gets DCed to desktop

4- If he tries to reconnect he gets the "already connected" message

5- If he tries to login with a different char he gets the "<original char name> is already connected" message.

6- Waiting a few mins allows him to login an alt and then he can log back in the original char

This is not happening to one specific person, some people gets it more often and some less, but many experience it from time to time, and it NEVER happened before 1.4, it all started with 1.4, since we are always (in my guild) on TS we know when it happens, if we were pugging maybe we would just think "look at that slacker, he just DCed to screw our FP".

So its not a routing or Service provider thing, it is something related to the game and the "improvements" done in 1.4. I personally dont experience it very often, im on the lucky % of people that rarely gets a DC, but it doesnt means its not happening a lot to a lot of people.

This is was in beta on the server I was on, they would fix it then we would shut down they would load a new build up and it would be back. Since launch its happened twice on shadowlands, each time they have fixed it. If i hang I automatically alt f4 kill process load game switch server login char. back to main server login alt logout then login dc'd character. I have a pretty high end system and have noticed alot more issues since 1.4.

We run HM EV in about hour and 15 mins usually but as of late its take 2 to 2 and half ours due to the above issue happening to folks and also the number of random disconnects that occur which then sometimes cause the character being stuck. I am sure they will do their best to have it fixed.

Some? Many? its a matter of semantics and how you wish to portray that fact. At least it sounds like you acknowledge the patch as being a source. Neither of us has hard data on the number of people still affected. Unless of course you happen to be associated directly BW and have access to that information, which, judging by your resolve to defend them, would not surprise me.

Yet, you still say that there is " no evidence that the DC's and spikes are Bioware induced?". Really? Unless you have hard facts that show BW resolved most the 1.4 issues, ( Which we think they haven't) there is no backing to that argument.... you don't have any facts to support that. Again, 1.4 brought all those issues. The only thing we have no evidence about is that those are " Largely past tense now".

This is was in beta on the server I was on, they would fix it then we would shut down they would load a new build up and it would be back. Since launch its happened twice on shadowlands, each time they have fixed it. If i hang I automatically alt f4 kill process load game switch server login char. back to main server login alt logout then login dc'd character. I have a pretty high end system and have noticed alot more issues since 1.4.

We run HM EV in about hour and 15 mins usually but as of late its take 2 to 2 and half ours due to the above issue happening to folks and also the number of random disconnects that occur which then sometimes cause the character being stuck. I am sure they will do their best to have it fixed.

If Bioware reads this I hope that at least they get one thing: The issues that started on 1.4 erode the gaming experience not only of those directly affected, but also of players that group with them in OPs, WZs FPs... I do hope they fix this because there is much I still wish to accomplish in this game.

Interesting, seems to be several people all at once saying, "there is no memory leak".

This in response to the question, "Will they release 1.5 with current memory leak situation?".

A damning example of denial, and admittance comes out.

The answer appears to be "YES", because it isn't a memory leak by their definition.

So, to add to their usual paeans about the "problem", which doesn't exist according to them, they won't fix it because YOU defined "memory leak" wrong. The generic YOU are STUPID in addition to their usual tales of causes.

So we can add that to the usual list:

1. its your computer, if not

2. its your ISP, if not

3. your bits and pieces of data, travel a dirt road to their server, not Al Gore's super interwebs freeway(note ONLY SWTOR bits and pieces, all other games use that freeway), if not

4. its because YOU(generic again not specific) are STUPID, if not

5. by the way: the fact performance fell after a patch is MERE coincidence(and besides we fixed it, so go away STUPID(generic again)).

They seem to ignore that it is most likely, that the few remaining subscribers (1) like most of the game, (2) are reasonable people willing to wait a reasonable time for fixes and updates, (3) most likely prior MMO players of multiple MMOs(and are NOT stupid when it comes to messing with their computers to fix an MMO's glitches.).

Suggest the paid and unpaid fanbois tone it down a little.

Interesting, seems to be several people all at once saying, "there is no memory leak".

This in response to the question, "Will they release 1.5 with current memory leak situation?".

The thread has been completely off topic for pages and pages now.

As for memory leak. Personally, I have never seen one. I have seen plenty of evidence in the forum posts over the months though that it is player computer sensitive.

As for me, Win 7, 6 Gigs of memory, i7 processor, manufactuer certified drivers, and I have never seen a memory leak. I play on a one year old mid range gaming laptop.

I also do not get high ping, lag, CTDs, blue screens, etc. etc. post 1.4 patch that some complain about. I also never saw the FPS performance problem that some did post 1.4.

People with problems write loudly and often in the forum. People without problems have no need to write at all other then to compare information in hopes it helps with reasonable resolution.

Edited by Andryah

The thread has been completely off topic for pages and pages now.

As for memory leak. Personally, I have never seen one. I have seen plenty of evidence in the forum posts over the months though that it is player computer sensitive.

As for me, Win 7, 6 Gigs of memory, i7 processor, manufactuer certified drivers, and I have never seen a memory leak. I play on a one year old mid range gaming laptop.

I also do not get high ping, lag, CTDs, blue screens, etc. etc. post 1.4 patch that some complain about. I also never saw the FPS performance problem that some did post 1.4.

People with problems write loudly and often in the forum. People without problems have no need to write at all other then to compare information in hopes it helps with reasonable resolution.

Well I'm assuming you can understand the frustration of those who are suffering an issue and someone else shows up in the thread telling them that there isn't one. To be honest, there really isn't even any reason to post saying "I'm not experiencing problem X" in a "Problem X" thread in the first place unless you HAD the problem but fixed it.

As far as there not being a memory leak, there is. If you really would like proof, turn on your task manager before you start the game, then log in and immediately check the memory usage from a static location, such as your ship. Then change zones, preferably a heavily populated zone or one where other players are using their character abilities, such as an fp, wz, or fleet. Spend a little time there and then go back to your ship and check memory usage again. I guarantee you will see an increase.

Large pieces of software such as this are pretty much never so well optimized that they won't have a leak at all. The main factors are the settings that cause the most leak, how large the leak is, the amount of physical memory the user has, and their tolerance for slowdown. One person's "omg memory leak!", is another person's "You have a crappy computer", is another person's "Play with setting X off", and is another person's "I don't notice 10fps drops".

I haven't noticed any serious memory leak since launch, though the one in at launch got annoying after long play sessions unless I restarted the client regularly. Nor have I noticed any change since coming back to this game, though I have not tried 1.5 at all yet.

Im just gonna leave it here

lol xD yeah get a better pc. everyone knows swtor is far beyond 3Dmark 11 duh :)

I can play Planetside 2 Beta with a few hundred people running around shooting each other up on max ( at the moment) settings with no prob but i get on an instanced fleet with people just standing still and theres bouncing and jerking and loading heh. oh well.

I have yet to see a game where no one complains about memory leaks at some point.

And I have still to see evidence that they actually are the cause to user's problems.

Taken from Wikipédia : "A memory leak has symptoms similar to a number of other problems (see below) and generally can only be diagnosed by a programmer with access to the program source code."

Several things here:

When some say "a huge %" of players are affected by the problems I dont think they mean more than 50%.

It's not because it isnt 50+% that it isnt important.

But even 5-10% being affected by such bugs is "too much" anyway.

So some of you dont have problems? Good for you.

The thing is that if:

- the players who complain now would have had problems also before 1.4

and/or

- the players who complain now are playing on crappy computers

It would be normal to ignore these messages, and even minimize the overall impact of the bugs.

But it isnt the case. Most, if not almost all complainers had no problem what-so-ever before 1.4

And most of the them play on rigs able to run the most graphically intense games of the market without problems.

BW created a flawed code, let's just be honest and accept it, recognize it, and press them to correct it ASAP.

Some comments here sound like "how dare you complaining about our godly game made by the gods, infidel!"

Time to look at reality and accept that the game is not doing so great, and that F2P has to be a success.

"F2P option, you're our only hope!" *famous quote*

And it isnt going to work if 10, 20 or 30% of the new F2P tourists play with crappy graphics on high end computers, because let's be totally frank: they wont come here to complain, they will just uninstall and play something else.

(gratz if you understood my franglish :p)

Edited by Draksen

I have been hit by the disconnect several times since 1.4 where you have to jump through oops to get back on the character but until sunday hadnt seen the memory leak. Sunday I kept the game open for 8 hours and then noticed degraded performance. Checked and it was using 80% of my 16 gb of ram. Logged out and rebooted and got back on. Talked with some guidlies who have to reboot every couple hours due to it and they are using 2 gb of ram so while not a hugh leak there is something affecting folks with certain operating systems and lower amounts of ram.

I at times might be fustrated with Biowares lack of communication or the sometimes conflicting vision of where they game is going but I do have faith in thier ability to find and fixes these issues. So i am sure they will have to taken care of soon.

I still have to play in windowed mode or the game studders so bad that it is unplayable. Even in windowed, there is still some studder, just not as bad. I also agree with what someone said about it not being computer related. 1.4 happened and suddenly this game plays terrible, but every single other game runs just fine. Yes computer parts can go bad suddenly and with bad luck it can happen at the same time an update to a game is made, but to have that happen to thousands of people at the same time that all have the exact same problem is beyond the realm of coincidence.

^QFE! ...

Agreed. See my sig below. ;)

I think they will. With 1.4, my lag/FPS issues came back and PvP for me can such a f'ing pain. If 1.5 makes lag/FPS issues worse or not get any better, I can already tell you the TORtanic 2.0 will sink just like its predecessor.

:(

"SWTOR was doing just fine, until it took a Patch 1.4 to the knee."

—Urael

I dont have any frame rate loss, or memeory leaking issues on my PC when I play SWTOR, your argument is invalid.