Chronology makes no sense

Bremery

This is supposed to be set 3000 years before the rise of Vader? But all the tech is similar to that which exists in the Vader era. Lightsabers, blasters, hyperdrives...even the smuggler's ship resembles the Millennium Falcon. So did technological advancement simply cease, or what?

I think that the technological differences were visually better emphasized in KotOR. E.g., the scale and design of many droids, of some ships, etc. But indeed, much technology seems not to have changed in the given time period. However, one question to ask might be where/when exactly some advancements stop? Once you've got hyperspace travel, for example, how do you advance that technology? Do you make it faster? Relative speed of hyperspace engines hasn't been mentioned, so far as I know.

Consider lightsabers: Once you have a device which can contain plasma into a small beam and is small/light enough to wield as a weapon, how exactly do you improve upon it? There's no sense in trying to make the plasma hotter, as you can cut through bloody anything already. I know that Darth Vader's lightsaber had adjustable length - perhaps that capability has yet to be developed in the TOR era?

Also, the Jedi and Sith used vibroswords before the development of lightsaber technology. The use of sword-like weapons by the Jedi is kind of a tradition thing (consider Obiwan calling it "an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"). People like their traditions, and people tend to anthropopathize the peoples in fictions they create. And perhaps the particular technology used in lightsaber construction also became a matter of tradition?

As for blasters, there's not much to say that the technology hasn't subtly improved (more powerful, less energy consumption, lighter, etc.) But as far as firearms go, how much better can you get than a blaster?

Edited by HazorV

Most technological breakthroughs come about because of war, we have microwaves because of the atom bomb, the Star wars universe goes through hundreds of years at a time without any significant conflict that would necessitate weapons build-up and research which would eventually filter into civilian use.

I've noticed half the world missions I've done have to do with securing the other sides' technology so that shows how in the midst of conflict both sides are trying to build-up.

Theres also the fact that no one would play this game if there weren't lightsabers.

Just my opinion though.

As above, things have been developed & forgotten. Simple use of the force varies according to time period and who survived what.

Consider: At the end of the Battle of Endor, Luke Skywalker is pretty much the only Jedi left alive (with a few very scattered exceptions) and has received minimal training from Yoda. All the mysteries of the Force, all the knowledge of the Jedi that went before, has been lost, and he has to go find & discover it all again either from trial & error or finding holocrons.

The same has repeated several times in the Star Wars history. The Jedi were nearly wiped out by the end of KOTOR 2 - so there is quite a cycle of learning & destruction. The Black Talon flashpoint highlights early development of technologies that are foreshadowings of later eras, when it comes to technology. In this current Old Republic era for example, it is not possible to shield an entire planet. By the Battle of Yavin, it is (which is why the Death Star was so dangerous; its superlaser could easily overwhelm those planetary shields).

Plus space is big - it's very easy to lose stuff in it and not have it re-discovered for a very long time.

Edited by Grammarye

It's simple. Bioware lack imagination. So they put story 3000 years before but had no skills or knowledge to make it real.

So they take Star Wars stuff, said that is 3000 before Star Wars and that's it.

Then never been good wirth creating worlds. Look at ALL they recent games. EVERY location is "clean". No junk, nothing. Simple and stupid. NPC NEVER move. They static as hell. Even droids in KOTOR or TOR look almost the same as ones 3000 years later.

Think about it as "star wars universe" and deal with it. You probably don't want to see jedi in "metal plate armor", bounty hunter on a horse, smuggler in sewers of old town and sith lord in old castle :p

It's simple. Bioware lack imagination. So they put story 3000 years before but had no skills or knowledge to make it real.

So they take Star Wars stuff, said that is 3000 before Star Wars and that's it.

Then never been good wirth creating worlds. Look at ALL they recent games. EVERY location is "clean". No junk, nothing. Simple and stupid. NPC NEVER move. They static as hell. Even droids in KOTOR or TOR look almost the same as ones 3000 years later.

Think about it as "star wars universe" and deal with it. You probably don't want to see jedi in "metal plate armor", bounty hunter on a horse, smuggler in sewers of old town and sith lord in old castle :p

As opposed to....

Wait..there's no developer that's done better...

You must be the uber secret developer that will blow our minds with virtual reality soon right?

NPCs move enough, if every quest giver randomly swapped planets cause they wanted a sunny vacation on Tatooine it'd be hell.

No good at creating worlds? You played the Mass Effect Series at all?

I love the way the imperial worlds all feel imperial, same architecture etc, but the underlying world has it's own aesthetic.

It's a great game, full of subtle elements and feelings that many will miss, but I'm enjoying it.

Edited by essell

This is supposed to be set 3000 years before the rise of Vader? But all the tech is similar to that which exists in the Vader era. Lightsabers, blasters, hyperdrives...even the smuggler's ship resembles the Millennium Falcon. So did technological advancement simply cease, or what?

Maybe lasers are a lot more powerful in vader's age, but armour and shields are comparatively improved? Necessity is the mother of invention.

Whaddya want anyway? Lightsabres that can bend around corners?

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force". In a galaxy so run my mystics, would you be surprised by a lack of technological progress?

Looking at the vendors, I see proton torpedoes are the pinnacle of ship to ship weapons in this game. They're common place in Vader's age. In fact they're too basic for me to use much when I play Tie Fighter.