Who remembers X-Wing?

Thalliass

This game was the game that started Star Wars gaming off. It was totally awesome. I bought all the Xpacs and had a ball playing them, Its just a pitty we havn't seen anything since that has compared to the fun of X-Wing. Tie Fighter was ok as was X-Wing Vrs Tie Fighter but the original was still the best.

With all the advances of computer graphics and fast processors of today, another X-Wing product would be a great seller as long as they stuck to the original formule and include maybe a PvP or multiplayer element to it. Bring back the space combat flight simulator I say.......on another note I think another option would be to have a space combat trading sim modelled in the Star Wars universe something along the lines of the old Privateer or Freelancer, make it an internet based MMO where the player gets to fly, fight, trade whatever from a host of different planets.... the options would be endless.

Anyway just my thoughts...Have fun all

Thallias

This game was the game that started Star Wars gaming off. It was totally awesome. I bought all the Xpacs and had a ball playing them, Its just a pitty we havn't seen anything since that has compared to the fun of X-Wing. Tie Fighter was ok as was X-Wing Vrs Tie Fighter but the original was still the best.

With all the advances of computer graphics and fast processors of today, another X-Wing product would be a great seller as long as they stuck to the original formule and include maybe a PvP or multiplayer element to it. Bring back the space combat flight simulator I say.......on another note I think another option would be to have a space combat trading sim modelled in the Star Wars universe something along the lines of the old Privateer or Freelancer, make it an internet based MMO where the player gets to fly, fight, trade whatever from a host of different planets.... the options would be endless.

Anyway just my thoughts...Have fun all

Thallias

X-Wing and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter still ranks as some of my all-time favs. A Star Wars style of Privateer or Freelancer could have my money in an instant.

I'd challenge the statement that the X-Wing series started Star Wars gaming.

If the Prequels never happened, we would have seen a fifth game to the series. Why not? Because of the Glowbats. Starting from '99, there were only a handful of games that didn't feature Jedi character or glowbats, and that's intentional: Marketing. Glowbats are marketable. X-Wings and TIE Fighters (in a time period they aren't trying to promote) aren't.

So, if we assume that First Assault is the obligatory video game tie-in with VII, then another X-Wing game could happen again. But, we live in a console era now. Konsole Kids need their small, easy-to-learn games, or else they grow frustrated. There's a reason why sim games never do well on consoles. So, with that in mind, the actual likelihood of seeing X-Wing 5 is as probable as winning the PowerBall.

Your probably right about the console kids. Pitty though.

I might be wrong here and correct me if I am but wasn't X-Wing the first modern computer game based in the Star Wars Universe? I remeber trying to configure emm386 all the time to try and run the thing hehe those were the days LOL. The game was awesome on my 486DX2 66 processor and my 4mb video card. I know they bought out a first person shooter just can't remember the name and I'm pretty sure that it was after X-Wing though. I couldn't play for long cause it gave me motion sickness ( the only thing that has..EVER lol). I guess we can only hope that maybe someday they will revisit the X-Wing franchise and or make a decent space combat trading sim.

Cheers

Thallias

I'd challenge the statement that the X-Wing series started Star Wars gaming.

If the Prequels never happened, we would have seen a fifth game to the series. Why not? Because of the Glowbats. Starting from '99, there were only a handful of games that didn't feature Jedi character or glowbats, and that's intentional: Marketing. Glowbats are marketable. X-Wings and TIE Fighters (in a time period they aren't trying to promote) aren't.

So, if we assume that First Assault is the obligatory video game tie-in with VII, then another X-Wing game could happen again. But, we live in a console era now. Konsole Kids need their small, easy-to-learn games, or else they grow frustrated. There's a reason why sim games never do well on consoles. So, with that in mind, the actual likelihood of seeing X-Wing 5 is as probable as winning the PowerBall.

Your petty attempt to lump together console gamers aside (I love my 360)... Until we do get a new Star Wars flight sim, there are always ambitious people willing to make ambitious games and a good amount of fans putting their money where their mouth is to back them.

Not only would I love a new Star Wars space simulation game, I am also curious as to why no sequel (or...a new expansion...) to Star Wars: Empire at War has been produced.

Not only do we have the Clone Wars, but older ones as well (or hey, why not the Yuuzhan Vong War?).

A EaW-game but set in the time of the Mandalorian Wars/Jedi Civil War/Sith Civil War could work well.

Or perhaps even an FPS, split in two.

First half, you're a mandalorian, crashing into a planets surface in your Basilisk, slaughtering all in your way.

Second half, a puny little grunt in the Republic Army beating back the mandos all the way to Dxun and Malachor V...oh dear, did I just soil myself with excitement? :confused::(

Not only would I love a new Star Wars space simulation game, I am also curious as to why no sequel (or...a new expansion...) to Star Wars: Empire at War has been produced.

Because it didn't sell enough. It didn't sell enough because it wasn't good enough.

The FoC expansion just made things worse. In vanilla EaW, the Rebels had the superior forces until the Zahn Consortium forces showed up, and pretty much pwned all.

There were many great mods for the game, but the base game itself wasn't up to par.

I think the real problem with many of the SW games that came out after Ep1 onward, is that the vast majority of them were being tied into the EU, and virtually nothing that had a plot and setting that existed outside of continuity. This puts incredible restriction upon a game's development.

The only real exceptions were Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy, both KoTOR games (damn Lucas Arts for rushing Obsidian, twice no-less!) and Republic Commando and it's distinctive lack of a sequel.

As for the X-Wing games, the genre itself was pretty much dead, with the rise of consoles, and became pretty much a niche market on PC.

Starlancer, Tachyon: The Fringe and technically the Elite inspired X series of games are the most recent space-sim combat games of that type that I can think of, whilst Freelancer was a different take on the genre that again was a great game with no sequel.

I can't remember the name of the studio behind the X-wing games offhand, but there next game after X-Wing Alliance was Star Trek: Bridge Commander. Pretty good game with optional voice command system, but still didn't get a sequel.

As I said before, it's because of consoles. They're money making machines for games publishers, especially as they force the development of games into certain styles and trends, based on what's currently making the most money.

I loved the X-Wing T.I.E. Fighter series. It is actually the inspiration for the current game that I am planing on making as an independent project. I'm not sure how good it will be, I am a horrible Character modeler, but I can make a decent starship. When I have something worthy of showing I will add a link to my sig to a website.

Ahhhh X-Wing!!! That takes me back. Many many hours, late nights, and sick days from school were spent playing that. I really miss that game. It would be great if they made them again but now Lucas Arts is shut down, it'll be a dream now

I'm looking at my X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-wing Vs Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance cds right now...and knowing that I can never play them due to the gap in technology. :(

Literally my favorite game of all time....nothing will ever get close to that enjoyment factor.

I own (all in a box) every single PC Star Wars game since 1993 (oh and dominated them all). I still remember the excitement I had when I finally beat the T-16 mission in Rebel Assault (it took forever due to a faulty mouse LOL) and the feeling of flying an X-Wing around and doing the Trench Run in X-Wing. Not until Tie Fighter did I learn how an scared you could get flying an unshielded ship, but boy did I love the movement I achieved the Tie Interceptor.....

Awww these were the days. I was hoping they would pull a Jump to Lightspeed on this game and make starships into a huge side game. With the crafting system in place, this could have been insane.

Good memories, I wish a company would do a Tie Fighter, X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance games in a single game, 3 campaigns, using directx 9-11 graphics, that would be epic, even if the missions were the same as the original game with improved speech, music and videos, it would be so brilliant.