Hit 50, PVP decisions

chris_rw

Hello, just hit level 50 with my Powertech and I'm trying to decide what to start doing for pvp. I've been a Shield Tech while leveling and there's a lot I love about it, specifically Jet Charge for pvp. Should I be collecting defense gear as I progress along or is that not a great spec for pvp (should I be focusing more on dps specs and/or gear)?

Just hoping to get a bit more insight into how people play their level 50 powertechs in pvp. Thanks!

Main reason why you should not pvp in shield tech or stack tanking stats is because shield is nearly useless in pvp. Yes, you'll be a bit harder to kill, but also u won't be able to kill anything. I use pyro spec and IMHO it's the most viable for pvp. There are some variations of this spec and I prefer the one without thermal detonator.

Don't underestimate tank pt so much... I've seen few on pvp and full tank PT can be very very hard to kill and an excelent nod guarder.

on deception Sin, PT tanks are usualy ones who give me most trouble (sometimes stop me) from 1vs1 nod kill and cap, rly thinking of making one hmm.

Edited by Atramar

Tanks do have a place in pvp, juggers are a little better than PTs but if you hybrid your spec to just getting up to jet charge then you can place some more points usually in the advanced prototype tree for more damage, works pretty well.

Remember every role gets better with gear so all those tank stats you have will get better with more expertise, a fully geared tank is a pain in the rump and can sit on objectives and hold them longer

just recently swapped from almost full WH PT tank to pyro DPS build (I'm still mostly in tank gear). The difference is huge.

- As a tank spec, you can survive stuff quite ok, no doubt, but it's a pain to kill anyone equally geared. The only WZ where I miss that build is huttball.

- on the other hand, even in tank gear, pyro is a monster, better heat management, much more dps, while still able to get protection medals with taunts.

- losing rocket jump is not good, but I can live without it, though takes some time to get used to it.

To sum up, I'd advise to go for pyro dps, the gain on dps is much better than the loss on survivability.

Don't underestimate tank pt so much... I've seen few on pvp and full tank PT can be very very hard to kill and an excelent nod guarder.

on deception Sin, PT tanks are usualy ones who give me most trouble (sometimes stop me) from 1vs1 nod kill and cap, rly thinking of making one hmm.

No, tank PT isnt optimal for a number of reasons. The main one being that a properly geared tankassin or a Immortal Juggernaut can do the same thing except much better. I've been playing a PT since launch and right now the most viable spec to play is pyro. Sure, you might do OK and contribute as a Shieldtech or AP, but there are going to be other classes that can do your job better. And if thats the case, shouldnt you just reroll?