The Clone War's Canon Conundrum

JBFett

Does anyone else feel like The Clone Wars is pretty much taking a **** on all previously establish canon?

Examples: Mandalorians during the Clone Wars, Adi Gallia's Death, Asajj Ventress' backstory, Grevious' backstory, Dooku's backstory, the Entire CIS' backstory, Maul being revived, Asoka Tano, The Battle of Kamino, and Even Piell's death. I'm sure there's more but those are the one's I could think of off the top of my head.

Examples of Sources which have been changed: Dark Horse Comics set during the Clone Wars (Republic, Oppression, ect.), the Republic Commando books, the entire original timeline for the Clone Wars; again these are just the things I could think of off the top of my head.

Thank you. Now that I have at least one supporter, I must ask: Does anyone else wish Mr. Chee would get over his obsession with keeping Star Wars as one timeline, and simply make it another? I feel like he's only doing this to satisfy the pockets of his higher ups, and maybe himself. He's compromising the history of stars wars, by overriding what I perceive as better material, with material that I perceive as worst. That, as a fan, makes me highly upset, and I feel like I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Thank you. Now that I have at least one supporter, I must ask: Does anyone else wish Mr. Chee would get over his obsession with keeping Star Wars as one timeline, and simply make it another? I feel like he's only doing this to satisfy the pockets of his higher ups, and maybe himself. He's compromising the history of stars wars, by overriding what I perceive as better material, with material that I perceive as worst. That, as a fan, makes me highly upset, and I feel like I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Its all your opinion though I mean you pretty much clarified that, just because you see something as bad doesn't mean it is the same way for everyone on the planet. Life would be pretty dull if people were wired the same way.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

No way, one timeline - no multiverses. This is Star Wars not some comic series. Retconning happens and we have to deal with it. Personally the only thing that irked me is Grievous's backstory (Ventresses' backstory was retconned? I thought they just adapted it from established EU?) But that is kept kinda vague anyway and the changes are fairly minor. So I have nothing wrong with this.

And for the record I like the New Mandalorians: same old, same old warrior clan gets dull after a while.

No way, one timeline - no multiverses. This is Star Wars not some comic series. Retconning happens and we have to deal with it. Personally the only thing that irked me is Grievous's backstory (Ventresses' backstory was retconned? I thought they just adapted it from established EU?) But that is kept kinda vague anyway and the changes are fairly minor. So I have nothing wrong with this.

And for the record I like the New Mandalorians: same old, same old warrior clan gets dull after a while.

^^ This ^^

Its all your opinion though I mean you pretty much clarified that, just because you see something as bad doesn't mean it is the same way for everyone on the planet. Life would be pretty dull if people were wired the same way.

Yes. It is my opinion, but I can't be the only one who has it. I will openly admit, I consider nothing published within the last four years under "The Clone Wars" market brand to be in my version of Star Wars, simply because it does not live up to the expectations of what I perceive as "Star Wars". I feel like Anakin should have never had an apprentice, and I feel like Grevious should have remained a pretty bad *** guy. Again, I feel like the creative (arguably better) works of former writers, and artist is being erased, in favor of making money off of a tv show written to appeal to children. I simply wish to see if I am the only one of this opinion.

Personally the only thing that irked me is Grievous's backstory (Ventresses' backstory was retconned? I thought they just adapted it from established EU?) But that is kept kinda vague anyway and the changes are fairly minor. So I have nothing wrong with this.

Well... Ventress' story wasn't so much 'changed' as it was "unnecessarily added to". Originally she was solely Rattatak, however The Clone Wars changed it to shoe-horn the Dathomir Witches in, therefore effectively obliterating the Rattataki species from Star Wars Cannon. See how that causes a problem considering Rattataki are in this game?

And while I can somewhat agree with the Mandalorians, I hate how the traditional Mando's are portrayed as solely evil. Which leads to another problem the show raises, everything presented in it is black and white. There are no 'good' guys on the Sepretist side, and everything formerly established that could allow someone to sympathize with the CIS has been completely destroyed, or obscured.

Well... Ventress' story wasn't so much 'changed' as it was "unnecessarily added to". Originally she was solely Rattatak, however The Clone Wars changed it to shoe-horn the Dathomir Witches in, therefore effectively obliterating the Rattataki species from Star Wars Cannon. See how that causes a problem considering Rattataki are in this game?

And while I can somewhat agree with the Mandalorians, I hate how the traditional Mando's are portrayed as solely evil. Which leads to another problem the show raises, everything presented in it is black and white. There are no 'good' guys on the Sepretist side, and everything formerly established that could allow someone to sympathize with the CIS has been completely destroyed, or obscured.

The Dathomir witches aspect is vital to the series, including the development of Ventress' character and story, as well as the introduction of Savage Oppress and the return of Mail, as well as another addition to the 'independents' category of star wars. I love the fact that Ventress is a Nightsister, it suits her perfectly. And Ventress doesn't represent the entire Rattaki species - even if she was the first.

I doubt you are an avid watcher of the Clone Wars but there was a whole arc portraying the Separatists as 'good' and 'democratic' and basically established the fact that Count Dooku and the greedy Trade Federation etc are evil and corrupt but the people who choose to follow them are not. Which is an improvement to the Star Wars universe as in the films they were portrayed as rather evil.

Same goes for the Mandalorians, Death Watch are clearly the bad guys but by the looks of it in future arcs we are going to see the return of the 'true' mandalorians who are essentially good as they team up with Kenobi for whatever reason. (not to mention the fact that the New Mandalorians are mandalorian as well so again, not solely bad guys, far from it)

I think you need to remember that EU is back their in the shadows, these works are up their in the forefront. It is the EU works you should take with a pinch of salt, not these. And TBH these guys are better at writing story...

The Dathomir witches aspect is vital to the series, including the development of Ventress' character and story, as well as the introduction of Savage Oppress and the return of Mail, as well as another addition to the 'independents' category of star wars. I love the fact that Ventress is a Nightsister, it suits her perfectly. And Ventress doesn't represent the entire Rattaki species - even if she was the first.

I doubt you are an avid watcher of the Clone Wars but there was a whole arc portraying the Separatists as 'good' and 'democratic' and basically established the fact that Count Dooku and the greedy Trade Federation etc are evil and corrupt but the people who choose to follow them are not. Which is an improvement to the Star Wars universe as in the films they were portrayed as rather evil.

Same goes for the Mandalorians, Death Watch are clearly the bad guys but by the looks of it in future arcs we are going to see the return of the 'true' mandalorians who are essentially good as they team up with Kenobi for whatever reason. (not to mention the fact that the New Mandalorians are mandalorian as well so again, not solely bad guys, far from it)

I think you need to remember that EU is back their in the shadows, these works are up their in the forefront. It is the EU works you should take with a pinch of salt, not these. And TBH these guys are better at writing story...

Okay. I will admit, I am not an avid watcher of the series, because every time I try to get into it I find myself disappointed by how bad it is. I didn't claim to be one either. I lost interest in the show rather quickly once they started spiting out canon contradictions left and right. I have seen the trailers for Season 5, and I hope they actually let the "bad guys" win, but lets be honest, in a kids show the bad guys never win. They haven't won a single time in the episodes I've watched of the series.

Finally, I don't think you have read the comic series put out by Dark Horse about the Clone Wars if you say that the writing on The Clone Wars is better than the writing of those comics. I urge you to either pick up the TPBs, or download, the issues of Star Wars: Republic, Star Wars: Dark Times, and Star Wars: Obsession. After reading those, you can not tell me that the staff at The Clone Wars has a better understanding of what Star Wars truly is than the wonderful artist at Dark Horse.

Edited by JBFett

Okay. I will admit, I lost interest in the show rather quickly once they started spiting out canon contradictions left and right. I have seen the trailers for Season 5, and I hope they actually let the "bad guys" win, but lets be honest, in a kids show the bad guys never win. They haven't they won a single time in the episodes I've watched of the series. I am not an avid watcher of the series, because every time I try to get into it I find myself disappointed by how bad it is.

Finally, I don't think you have read the comic series put out by Dark Horse about the Clone Wars if you say that the writing on The Clone Wars is better than the writing of those comics. I urge you to either pick up the TPBs, or download, the issues of Star Wars: Republic, Star Wars: Dark Times, and Star Wars: Obsession. After read Sidious ing those, you can not tell me that the staff at The Clone Wars has a better understanding of what Star Wars truly is than the wonderful artist at Dark Horse.

I agree with you on the bad guys front. But this is the face of Star Wars - the bad guys never win. I prefer to console myself by thinking no matter what happens, Sidious will always win. :D I'd also strongly urge you to watch Season 5, they've really improved on the bad guys front, heroes are dying, bad guys are winning (Savage & Maul) and Sidious is set making personal appearances, and we know he will always win. Even General Grievous was given a half-victory in Hondo arc. And I have a feeling many more heroes are going to be killed (Ashoka might even turn to the dark side/die) But remember, Star Wars is about the heroes triumphing over evil. Don't forget that.

On your second point I was probably wrong on the writing front, I can say for sure its better than a good proportion of EU works at least. But my point is their good at writing Star Wars. We also have to remember how small EU is in the Star Wars universe. Canon dictates they don't have to pay it any real attention and we should count ourselves lucky that they do. Think of all the things they have implemented that are entirely EU creations. Asajj Ventress, the Nighsisters, every other planet, Death Watch, the Ones, I'm sure the list goes on. As a George Lucas project he has the right to tweak the stories a litte. And so what if he does? You should really be thanking him that he included this stuff in the first place. I'm also aware that Dark Horse Comics have significant involvement in the series, and Filoni is well versed in the EU, just saying.

P.S. No one really has a greater understanding of Star Wars than George Lucas - you may not like it, but thats what Star Wars is

I agree with you on the bad guys front. But this is the face of Star Wars - the bad guys never win. I prefer to console myself by thinking no matter what happens, Sidious will always win. :D I'd also strongly urge you to watch Season 5, they've really improved on the bad guys front, heroes are dying, bad guys are winning (Savage & Maul) and Sidious is set making personal appearances, and we know he will always win. Even General Grievous was given a half-victory in Hondo arc. And I have a feeling many more heroes are going to be killed (Ashoka might even turn to the dark side/die) But remember, Star Wars is about the heroes triumphing over evil. Don't forget that.

On your second point I was probably wrong on the writing front, I can say for sure its better than a good proportion of EU works at least. But my point is their good at writing Star Wars. We also have to remember how small EU is in the Star Wars universe. Canon dictates they don't have to pay it any real attention and we should count ourselves lucky that they do. Think of all the things they have implemented that are entirely EU creations. Asajj Ventress, the Nighsisters, every other planet, Death Watch, the Ones, I'm sure the list goes on. As a George Lucas project he has the right to tweak the stories a litte. And so what if he does? You should really be thanking him that he included this stuff in the first place. I'm also aware that Dark Horse Comics have significant involvement in the series, and Filoni is well versed in the EU, just saying.

P.S. No one really has a greater understanding of Star Wars than George Lucas - you may not like it, but thats what Star Wars is

I'll have to argue with you on Star Wars being about Good Triumping evil. While the Original Trilogy is about Good vs Evil, I don't think the EU should be bogged down by this idea. It's a big universe, many things can happen, and keeping everything in black and white causes most things to be boring. Also I'd like to point out that the prequel trilogy is anything but good vs Evil when you take a closer look at it beyond Jedi vs Sith. If anything the Clone Wars is Evil vs Evil. The Republic is lead by Sidious, the CIS is lead by Sidious.

Also I'll have to argue that I don't think George Lucas has the best understanding of what Star Wars is, not anymore. While he did lay the foundations of the Universe, much better minds have seen to it in the intervening years. Infact, I believe at one point George admitted that he has no idea what happens in the universe outside his movies, and that he has never read any EU material. Also I know that Fillion says that he has a deep understanding of the EU, but if he does he pays no mind to it. As pointed out earlier, he has directly contradicted the EU multiple times. Maybe I'm just trying to say that for a long time everyone associated with Star Wars has stressed that they try to create a continuous canon, free of contradiction, however since the Clone Wars was released numerous violations of this promise have happened. The most plausible people to blame for this are both Fillion and Lucas, as they are the heads of The Clone Wars project. I just think they should practice what they preach, if they care about the EU at all.

Edited by JBFett

I'll have to argue with you on Star Wars being about Good Triumping evil. While the Original Trilogy is about Good vs Evil, I don't think the EU should be bogged down by this idea. It's a big universe, many things can happen, and keeping everything in black and white causes most things to be boring. Also I'd like to point out that the prequel trilogy is anything but good vs Evil when you take a closer look at it beyond Jedi vs Sith. If anything the Clone Wars is Evil vs Evil. The Republic is lead by Sidious, the CIS is lead by Sidious.

Also I'll have to argue that I don't think George Lucas has the best understanding of what Star Wars is, not anymore. While he did lay the foundations of the Universe, much better minds have seen to it in the intervening years. Infact, I believe at one point George admitted that he has no idea what happens in the universe outside his movies, and that he has never read any EU material. Also I know that Fillion says that he has a deep understanding of the EU, but if he does he pays no mind to it. As pointed out earlier, he has directly contradicted the EU multiple times. Maybe I'm just trying to say that for a long time everyone associated with Star Wars has stressed that they try to create a continuous canon, free of contradiction, however since the Clone Wars was released numerous violations of this promise have happened. The most plausible people to blame for this are both Fillion and Lucas, as they are the heads of The Clone Wars project. I just think they should practice what they preach, if they care about the EU at all.

Hmmmm, perhaps your right. But I'd give them a second chance, at least in terms of story - they are definitely beginning to take a new direction. And yes in many ways Lucas has lost his way. But Filoni is in charge of the project and he knows what he's doing. Should they stay true to the EU? That's the main question I feel. Why should they if they can make it better?

I think this is the perspective we have to look at it from. Have they improved it by making changes. IMO on the Mandalorian front - yes. They've added new faces and sides to the Mandalorians and just made them all the more interesting. Same goes for Ventress, before she was just a Rattaki Jedi. Now she's a lost child of the Dathomirian Nightsisters, and only surviving member (minus Talzin) betrayed by the Sith and know a mercenary with nothing to belong to. I like that better than another Jedi gone darkside who eventually turns into a loco crazy cyborg and gets semi-killed then runs away. Adi Gallia's death and all other retconned deaths are kinda just a shoulder shrug, they died, just now they died a little differently. Dooku's backstory? How has that been altered? Pretty sure EU established he was from Serenno. But I get your point, I imagine many sources filled had already filled the Clone Wars gap, and TCW are probably steam rolling over everything established. But Star Wars is always evolving to suit the 'real world' and we just have to accept that.

Hmmmm, perhaps your right. But I'd give them a second chance, at least in terms of story - they are definitely beginning to take a new direction. And yes in many ways Lucas has lost his way. But Filoni is in charge of the project and he knows what he's doing. Should they stay true to the EU? That's the main question I feel. Why should they if they can make it better?

I think this is the perspective we have to look at it from. Have they improved it by making changes. IMO on the Mandalorian front - yes. They've added new faces and sides to the Mandalorians and just made them all the more interesting. Same goes for Ventress, before she was just a Rattaki Jedi. Now she's a lost child of the Dathomirian Nightsisters, and only surviving member (minus Talzin) betrayed by the Sith and know a mercenary with nothing to belong to. I like that better than another Jedi gone darkside who eventually turns into a loco crazy cyborg and gets semi-killed then runs away. Adi Gallia's death and all other retconned deaths are kinda just a shoulder shrug, they died, just now they died a little differently. Dooku's backstory? How has that been altered? Pretty sure EU established he was from Serenno. But I get your point, I imagine many sources filled had already filled the Clone Wars gap, and TCW are probably steam rolling over everything established. But Star Wars is always evolving to suit the 'real world' and we just have to accept that.

Okay. You make some good points. What they have done to the Mandalorians I can agree with, as long as the Death Watch wins in season 5. I suppose your also right about Ventress, though I wish they would have given a better introduction to the Dathomir story than just "Yea, Assajj is actually one of them. Oh, and Maul and Oppress are actually their slaves." Just seems like a cheap shoe-horn to me. *shrug* Why are all the Nightbrother's Zabrak? Also, they need to leave Aurra Sing alone, but at the same time I want to see a mention of A'Sharad Hett thrown in there, just for the Legacy fanboys :p

Edited by JBFett

Are you seriously so angry over the DH Comics?

Those were some of the worst comics in SW in my opinion.

What? You must be trolling, or have no idea what your talking about. You say 'were', it can't be 'were' if they still are publishing Star Wars material. Also the only other comics you have to compare Dark Horse's work to are the terribad Marvel ones, so you can't tell me they're "some of the worst comics in SW" unless you find that mid-80s crap good.

Edited by JBFett

I don't really follow the series, but I don't see how Asajj being a Nightsister is a good thing. Before the series reinvented her, she had a great storyline, what with being Padawan to a Jedi who died in battle, which caused her fall to the Dark Side. Her youthful naivete became a strong character theme later on, what with her self proclamation of being Sith and her utter devotion to Count Dooku, despite the fact he was manipulating and using her. Furthermore, though she is a fierce combatant, she never showed much strength in Force abilities. Then they shoehorned in the fact that she was a Nightsister - Force Witches who are pretty much dedicated to the use of the Force through rituals and powers. It seems...really clunky, and only for the purpose of the Savage Oppress/Maul backstory, rather then a logically drawn conclusion. Furthermore, we see some serious changes in her personality through the series that also seem to contradict her naive, aggressive nature.

There's a very strong existing parralel between her and Anakin - I see her as what Anakin could have become if not for Obi-Wan - and her own relationship with Kenobi himself is really heavily immersed in resentment (that Anakin's master is alive, while her own died), and some really strong elements of sexual chemistry depending on the writer at the time. The Clone Wars seems to just...ignore all that depth, and that's a shame. It's also a shame that she's been reduced to essentially a henchman role by the show, when realistically she could very well have been the focal 'Big Bad' for most of the series.

What? You must be trolling, or have no idea what your talking about. You say 'were', it can't be 'were' if they still are publishing Star Wars material. Also the only other comics you have to compare Dark Horse's work to are the terribad Marvel ones, so you can't tell me they're "some of the worst comics in SW" unless you find that mid-80s crap good.

I was comparing it to non-SW Comics, seriously though, the SW Comics are not done well and maybe is why they might go back to Marvel.

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Rumor_Star_Wars_Comics_License_Returning_To_Marvel_149417.asp

I was comparing it to non-SW Comics, seriously though, the SW Comics are not done well and maybe is why they might go back to Marvel.

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Rumor_Star_Wars_Comics_License_Returning_To_Marvel_149417.asp

I disagree, if anything almost all of Dark Horse's Star Wars lines over the past 20 years have been moderate-good, I suggest you pick up Legacy, Dark Times, and Republic just to name a few stand outs. The only notably bad one they've done was Dark Empire from when they first obtained the license.

Edited by JBFett

I disagree, if anything almost all of Dark Horse's Star Wars lines over the past 20 years have been moderate-good, I suggest you pick up Legacy, Dark Times, and Republic just to name a few stand outs. The only notably bad one they've done was Dark Empire from when they first obtained the license.
Before Legacy, before Dark Times, and before Republic, go burn the $40 or $50 and buy the Tales of the Jedi Omnibus collections from BAM or Barnes and Noble or wherever. The Knights of the Old Republic comics featuring Zayne Carrick weren't bad, either.

Never got to read any of Dark Empire. How bad were they?

Before Legacy, before Dark Times, and before Republic, go burn the $40 or $50 and buy the Tales of the Jedi Omnibus collections from BAM or Barnes and Noble or wherever. The Knights of the Old Republic comics featuring Zayne Carrick weren't bad, either.

Never got to read any of Dark Empire. How bad were they?

Yea Tales of the Jedi is also pretty essential. While I loved Knights of the Old Republic, it just doesn't reach the same amount of epicness as the rest. *shrug*

Dark Empire was the one with Clone Palpatine, and Luke going to the Dark Side. Dark Empire wasn't all bad, but II and III were terrible because they basically recycled the plot of the first one, TWICE.

Edited by JBFett

TCW is simply a PoS.

I loved the almost comercial-like, 15 min Clone Wars mini series that took place between Ep II and Ep III waaaaay more. Everyone had OP powers, yes, but the point of that serious was to just get attention towards the new movie and have some fun doing it.

TCW is just to BS it's way into some new form of canon that has been destroying established canon for years now.

All I can say is, that I can forgive everything that TCW has done, IF and only if, we see Ahsoka Tano die horribly.

I don't really follow the series, but I don't see how Asajj being a Nightsister is a good thing. Before the series reinvented her, she had a great storyline, what with being Padawan to a Jedi who died in battle, which caused her fall to the Dark Side. Her youthful naivete became a strong character theme later on, what with her self proclamation of being Sith and her utter devotion to Count Dooku, despite the fact he was manipulating and using her. Furthermore, though she is a fierce combatant, she never showed much strength in Force abilities. Then they shoehorned in the fact that she was a Nightsister - Force Witches who are pretty much dedicated to the use of the Force through rituals and powers. It seems...really clunky, and only for the purpose of the Savage Oppress/Maul backstory, rather then a logically drawn conclusion. Furthermore, we see some serious changes in her personality through the series that also seem to contradict her naive, aggressive nature.

There's a very strong existing parralel between her and Anakin - I see her as what Anakin could have become if not for Obi-Wan - and her own relationship with Kenobi himself is really heavily immersed in resentment (that Anakin's master is alive, while her own died), and some really strong elements of sexual chemistry depending on the writer at the time. The Clone Wars seems to just...ignore all that depth, and that's a shame. It's also a shame that she's been reduced to essentially a henchman role by the show, when realistically she could very well have been the focal 'Big Bad' for most of the series.

This is your problem, most of the people bashing TCW don't even watch the series. All that backstory you mentioned is still there they even include flashbacks to the death of her Master, and her turning to the dark side. The Nightsisters only come into play when she is betrayed by Dooku. She did not grow up as a Nightsister but was taken away at birth, this is why she doesn't have all the voodoo powers.

The Nightsisters are also vital to Ventress' development or personality, and journey to find something to belong too. Once she loses Dooku, she seeks them out, then she loses them to Grievous and is forced to find something else to belong too. For now she belongs to nothing. The Nightsisters are also important for Ventress' attempts at revenge on Dooku - which displays her naive character - and if anything Savage was made as a flat character for her to bounce off than Maul or Kenobi. And lets face it, Ventress has Nightsister written all over her.

Personally I like how her personality is changing. Ventress is an entirely EU character, and it was EU that established her as not fully dark side - Kenobi believes their is a chance of saving her and TCW are developing that story through her betrayal by Dooku, and her become a freelance mercernary with nobody to belong too. They've placed her between a cross roads between light and dark, and she has too choose which path to take, I'd call that depth.

You talk about then changing her personality, from naive and aggressive. But doesn't everyones personality evolve through the course of Star Wars? Luke goes from simple farmboy to Jedi Knight, Anakin goes from naive slave kid to Dark Lord, Han Solo goes from no good scoundrel to hero. Having a character not evolve just makes them stagnant and flat. Ventress is a round character, she started the series being naive and aggressive (pretty clear from the Yoda arc), believing herself unstoppable and having complete faith in her master. But over the course of the series she loses that naivety (as all people would unless their stupid, kind or overly trusting) and when Dooku betrays her loses faith in the dark side.

IMO Ventress is one of greatest characters in TCW, and I really like how they've developed her.

The Nightsisters only come into play when she is betrayed by Dooku. She did not grow up as a Nightsister but was taken away at birth, this is why she doesn't have all the voodoo powers.

See I'd consider that bad writing. How does she remember she's a Nightsister? She was still an infant when they took her. Why do the Nightsister's suddenly have to bargain with slaver's by giving up one of their own? Why don't they just kill or enslave the slavers? They ride Rancor's and have the Darkside for god's sake. Why do the Nightsister's even allow MALES to walk on their planet without immediately enslaving them? That goes against every portrayal of the Nightsister's formerly shown.

Like I said, it just seems like it was a way to shoe-horn the Nightsister's in, and then base the rest of their series main plot line on this shoe-horn. There were better ways to incorporate the Nightsister than changing Ventriss' backstory. Their were better ways to introduce Savage than changing Ventriss' backstory. Also, no she doesn't have Nightsister written all over her, she has Rattataki written all over her. You know, the race that is in THIS game, and now suddenly doesn't exist in any other Canon source.

Edited by JBFett