Which Era would be best to make new movies?

Slowpokeking

That is the problem, a lot of wars and events happened from ROTJ to Jacen became Darth Cadeus, there is not enough room to explain, such as Mara Jade, she made her first appearance in the Thrawn Trilogy and you cannot just let people know her well without a lot of explanation which the movie didn't have time and space to do so.

Also people would not want to see so much conflicts after such a massive battle in RotJ.

You seem to think that the movies are required to be based on existing material. No such requirement exists, and George Lucas himself has stated that "his" vision of post-RotJ events is different from the EU material. And he's serving as a creative consultant.

Lucas even stated his overt distaste of Mara Jade: particularly the marriage to Luke, a Jedi.

Edited by CelCawdro

You seem to think that the movies are required to be based on existing material. No such requirement exists, and George Lucas himself has stated that "his" vision of post-RotJ events is different from the EU material. And he's serving as a creative consultant.

Lucas even stated his overt distaste of Mara Jade: particularly the marriage to Luke, a Jedi.

Well I think most of the post ROTJ stories are crap, just major threats after major threats, but if they want to use the characters they have to explain well.

Especially Jacen, he went through a lot of wars and without knowing these, it's difficult to understand his character and fall to the Dark Side as Cadeus.

I think start a new era should be the best. We don't have to worry about new actors at all.

The Great Sith War, KOTOR1&2 are far more epic than Darth Caedus' tale. As Jacen he is cool but as a villain he failed too quickly.

A couple of things here... I don't disagree that KOTOR would make a good movie, but that's not going to happen. They will give us something involving the characters from the original trilogy. They are either going to take something from the EU as inspiration or create an entirely new timeline that contradicts the EU. I don't see them just adapting one of the books, but I don't want them to flush the entire EU down the toilet either. I don't want the Thrawn Trilogy because I don't want to watch CGI Mark Hamill running around or some other actor in that role. That's why I suggest they use the Solo and Skywalker kids. There is enough of a connection to draw in casual fans of the original trilogy without making the classic characters the main focus.

I also don't think you are going to get a true adaptation of any of the books. They don't translate well to film. There is too much going on. I think you will see something like what Marvel has done with its movies. The movie will have characters from the EU and perhaps take inspiration from it with the story, but it won't be an exact adaptation of a specific book. They are going to have to leave a lot out and change a lot. This also makes Darth Caedus work. You can take plot points from the book but improve the writing and the story significantly for real epic tale with a connection to Luke and Han and Leia.

A couple of things here... I don't disagree that KOTOR would make a good movie, but that's not going to happen. They will give us something involving the characters from the original trilogy. They are either going to take something from the EU as inspiration or create an entirely new timeline that contradicts the EU. I don't see them just adapting one of the books, but I don't want them to flush the entire EU down the toilet either. I don't want the Thrawn Trilogy because I don't want to watch CGI Mark Hamill running around or some other actor in that role. That's why I suggest they use the Solo and Skywalker kids. There is enough of a connection to draw in casual fans of the original trilogy without making the classic characters the main focus.

I also don't think you are going to get a true adaptation of any of the books. They don't translate well to film. There is too much going on. I think you will see something like what Marvel has done with its movies. The movie will have characters from the EU and perhaps take inspiration from it with the story, but it won't be an exact adaptation of a specific book. They are going to have to leave a lot out and change a lot. This also makes Darth Caedus work. You can take plot points from the book but improve the writing and the story significantly for real epic tale with a connection to Luke and Han and Leia.

Why not? Some of the EU stories are really good and could be made into good movies, why would they try to do the hard way?

Ugh, this is why Lucas needs to be cut out of the process.The original trilogy completely disproves the Jedi concept of attachments being bad. This is why the NJO got rid of that stupidity. You can't pretend that the Jedi were right about that idea when it was Luke's attachment to his father and his sister and friends that saved the galaxy from the Emperor.

I'm not overly attached to the EU. I know they are going to have to change the timeline around regardless of what they do with a sequel. But I hope they don't completely throw it out.

Already in the news, Timothy Zahn is being contacted by Disney. Now why would Disney do this? My bet, it's going to be the Thrawn series. :cool:

The Thrawn Trilogy is very good to make movies, if they can solve the recast problem

Ralph for Thrawn and Kate Beckinsale for Mara Jade!

Why not? Some of the EU stories are really good and could be made into good movies, why would they try to do the hard way?

Some of the EU stories would work as inspiration for a movie, but they will not make direct adaptations. The novels are far too complicated with far too many plot lines and characters. Casual Star Wars fans who haven't kept up with the EU would get lost if they just tried to do a direct adaptation. And those are the people the movie will be aimed at.

Some of the EU stories would work as inspiration for a movie, but they will not make direct adaptations. The novels are far too complicated with far too many plot lines and characters. Casual Star Wars fans who haven't kept up with the EU would get lost if they just tried to do a direct adaptation. And those are the people the movie will be aimed at.

They can keep the main plot and do some change like PJ did to LotR.

There are various opinions as to what part of the after the ROTJ era wil be used for the movie and we can argue our opinions all day but something tells me this is something Disney and George have already discusssed since they have stated they are gong to make a new one and it will be released in 2015.

They already have the plans most likely in effect . You don't enter into this sort of contract without an idea what you plan to do.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

i am probably of the minority. I believe ST is done as a series of movies.

It has lived its life to the fullest and anything else will just lessen its iconic appeal IMO.

Obviously the money makers at Disney believe otherwise. they are gonna make movies and tv shows and prrobably another Xmas special and milk every last penny out of the franchise they can.......boooo