what star wars book should i start with?

JudgaSma

i want to read all the books about the old republic but i also want to read the books where chewbacca dies and they all grow older (han, luke, leia) i dont know where to begin.. if youd take the time to list them in order for me id be grateful, thank you

Khaimera provided a full list via the Wookiepedia link, so I'll pull some personal recommendations from each era.

Old Republic Era

• TOR: Revan
  • TOR: Deceived
  • Darth Bane Trilogy

None of the four TOR books are "required" reading, but I included the two that feel the most important for someone interested in expanding the game's story and background. I haven't read Annihilation yet, so can't speak to that one.

Rise of the Empire Era

• Darth Plagueis
  • Rogue Planet
  • Republic Commando series
  • Shatterpoint
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
  • The Dark Lord Trilogy
  • The Han Solo Trilogy
  • The Lando Calrissian Adventures
  • The Han Solo Adventures

The RC series includes Imperial Commando: 501st as its final entry. I only include Rogue Planet on this list on the assumption that you intend to eventually read the New Jedi Order series. The Dark Lord Trilogy consists of Labyrinth of Evil, the Revenge of the Sith novelization, and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

The last three entries on the above list are not exactly in chronological order, as events in one trilogy often overlap events in another. For example, I would read the Calrissian books after reading the first two books in the Solo Trilogy. The third book in the Solo Trilogy includes an interlude where I would read the Solo Adventures, then return to and finish the Trilogy.

Rebellion Era

• Splinter of the Mind's Eye
  • Shadows of the Empire
  • The Truce at Bakura

I included Splinter mainly for historical reasons; it was the very first SW novel, and so I think is worth reading for that reason alone. Truce starts very shortly after the Battle of Endor.

There is a new trilogy being published right now called Empire and Rebellion. Each book focuses on one of the Big Three - Razor's Edge is Leia and is out now; Honor Among Thieves is Han and will be out next year; and the Luke book is currently untitled and I'm not sure if it has a release date set yet.

I'm not sure about Timothy Zahn's novels in this period (or in the preceding era, for that matter) for a simple reason - I haven't read them yet. I do know they include characters and explore background that was first mentioned in his Thrawn Trilogy (the start of the modern Expanded Universe from a publication standpoint), but since I haven't read these works set earlier in the timeline I'm not sure if I would recommend working backwards from Thrawn Trilogy to them or not. Perhaps someone else will have a useful suggestion.

New Republic Era

• Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
  • X-Wing series
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia
  • Thrawn Trilogy
  • I, Jedi
  • Hand of Thrawn Duology
  • Young Jedi Knights
  • Survivor's Quest

Most of the books in this period could also be referred to as "the Bantam era," as that was the publishing house that produced most of the works in this era. The X-Wing series works its way throughout most of this time period, as you can see from the Wookiepedia timeline. The YJK series is surprisingly good for a young adults line; I would read the first six books at the least, but can't recommend the remaining entries because I haven't read them. This list is rather short compared to the timeline because I don't have fond memories of most of the novels.

New Jedi Order Era

• The New Jedi Order series

I would genuinely recommend stopping with The Unifying Force. It's nearly a perfect closing chapter for the saga. Most of the books that have been released in the Legacy Era are very disappointing, as far as I'm concerned.

If, however, you insist on continuing...

Legacy Era

• Crosscurrent
  • Riptide
  • Millennium Falcon

I cannot in good conscience recommend the Dark Nest Trilogy, the Legacy of the Force series, or the Fate of the Jedi series, though I will grant that there are some elements in each of those that I like. The overall product, however, is not of high quality in my opinion, and I particularly found Crucible to be a lackluster "last hurrah" for the Big Three.

I could also attempt to provide a recommended list of comics, if you'd like. The Legacy series in particular is a stand out, and the X-Wing comics are a lot of fun and are a nice tie-in to the books.

I like how the guy asks where to start for the series where the characters are old and Chewie dies, and the suggestion is to pretty much start right at the beginning of the EU, which would give him dozens of books to get through before he even gets to Chewie's death.

OP, that series you are thinking of is the New Jedi Order series, starting with the book Vector Prime. This is well into the post-movie EU, so there will be references to material you won't understand, but catching up on all of it would take years for the average reader. (And honestly, aside from a few stand out arcs like Thrawn Trilogy which I do highly recommend, most of the rest of it is pretty stupid or pointless. Han has an evil cousin? Okay whatever.)

• 2 weeks later...

Thrawn Trilogy

I would start there seriously.. It's the series that started the "Star wars renaissance" in the mid 90's. It was the series that I wish they would make into the next movie trilogy... although I'm not sure the original actors would be able to pull it off because of their age...

All the other books going forward have built of the success of those three novels.

Edited by Choffware

Thrawn Trilogy

I would start there seriously.. It's the series that started the "Star wars renaissance" in the mid 90's. It was the series that I wish they would make into the next movie trilogy... although I'm not sure the original actors would be able to pull it off because of their age...

All the other books going forward have built of the success of those three novels.

The Thrawn Trilogy was my favorite, but it's version of the Clone Wars was so much different ((better)) then what Lucus decided happened in the clone wars, that it makes me sad.

Lol i like to read about 4 books a week. (kind of a hidden nerd inside :p) shouldnt be that bad to catch up

Well you are an insanely bigger reader then even the average reader let alone the average anybody. So nvm, reading the entire New Republic EU would only take you a few months so have at it if you want (though I don't see the point of the initial question if you do that anyways).

I still suggest skipping most of it though. The Zahn (author) books are fantastic and by far the most important books of the whole era. Jedi Academy trilogy is decent and significant to the canon. I, Jedi and Shadows of Mindor are good one-off novels. And I haven't read the X-Wing series but I hear good things and its overall also pretty canon significant (I just personally don't care enough about Wedge to read a whole series about him, so I just wookiped the story). The rest (and theres a ton of em) you can easily ignore.