PvE: Powertech or Merc?

Grues

Only for PvE, i am not a big fan of PvP in this game. I like killing bosses and supporting the team, also looking into maybe a Sniper imperial agent as well.

I am playing as a Level 20 PT atm and seem to be losing to alot of Mercs near my level. I have pretty good equipment and am Specing into the Pyro tree.

Any tips or suggestions?

Since you are asking about these 2+ the IA im assuming you want to do dps. If that is the case go PT, they do better DPS (when specd pyro) however they are more melee with a few ranged abilities where as a merc is straight range. Also just learn the class a little bit more, a PT that has even a little experience should never lose to a merc. Lastly I really would suggest rolling a sniper if you are into dps, there is not a better single target dps class than a sniper, you can take people down in about 5-6 secs no problem. I will add that they are all fun and viable for endgame PVE so roll what you enjoy most.

I rolled a Merc as my 1st character. Really fun. But their survivability is horrible. You would think not because of their range and heavy armor, but my marauder is so much more versatile in so many situations. There's merit to every advance class. As long as you're having fun with it then it's the right pick

Merc, a load of dps that isn't useful in PVP anymore. They're one of the top if not THE top class in PVE damage at the moment.

Nope, wrong. Sorry buddy, but nothing is beating out a BiS Sentinel/Marauder right now.

Here's the thing about PT vs Merc DPS: PT Pyro is higher, but Merc brings a little bit more utility (CC, a cleanse) to a raid group.

Mercs will disagree with me completely, but you frequently see parses from PT Pyro's hitting over 2k DPS and laughing while they do it. Mercs can hit like a truck, but not as much as their PT counterparts can at the moment.

I have both of them. I prefer my Mercenary because I find it more enjoyable (iconic also) than my Powertech. To each his own on this one.

As far as damage goes the top DPS per class is:

Marauder

Powertech

Sniper

Merc / Sorc

Assassin / juggernaut

Operative

They are all within a couple hundred DPS from each other. At least for my guild, which are all in full 63's and know their class / priority.

I prefer my merc because of the utility. We've got CC, off healing, less damage received (usually), and of course the armor debuff to the rest of the raid. Slower ramp up time for DPS than PT.

Powertechs have high burst DPS, instant casts with great mobility, and can taunt off for certain mechanics like Firebrand.

Ultimately it comes down to play style like most will tell you. Melee or Ranged?

Edited by PUMA

Only for PvE, i am not a big fan of PvP in this game.

I am playing as a Level 20 PT atm and seem to be losing to alot of Mercs near my level.

What do you mean "losing to alot of Mercs" when you say you aren't interested in PvP? If it is just that they seem to be killing quicker well that is going to change drastically throughout the levels as each class unlocks key talents and gets specific skills. You can't judge kill speed towards 50 based on what you experience at 20. I am currently leveling a Merc, just hit 40 and it has been an absolute blast so far. I have solo'd every single heroic 2+ thus far with ease and breeze through the normal quests without needing to stop to heal (or even a remote chance of death).

Only for PvE, i am not a big fan of PvP in this game. I like killing bosses and supporting the team, also looking into maybe a Sniper imperial agent as well.

I am playing as a Level 20 PT atm and seem to be losing to alot of Mercs near my level. I have pretty good equipment and am Specing into the Pyro tree.

Any tips or suggestions?

Powertechs don't really get good until you get prototype particle accelerator in your tree. Powertechs will out dps mercs, assuming the same level of skill and gear. Both have pretty easy rotations. Mercs have more utility and powertechs do more damage. Its really up to you whom you want to play. Both are more than viable.

Nope, wrong. Sorry buddy, but nothing is beating out a BiS Sentinel/Marauder right now.

Here's the thing about PT vs Merc DPS: PT Pyro is higher, but Merc brings a little bit more utility (CC, a cleanse) to a raid group.

Mercs will disagree with me completely, but you frequently see parses from PT Pyro's hitting over 2k DPS and laughing while they do it. Mercs can hit like a truck, but not as much as their PT counterparts can at the moment.

Nope, sorry buddy... I have both a 63 geared merc and 63 gear powertech, and even though i consider my PT to be my main, i will not deny that my arsenal merc can dish out more DPS PvE. I would absolutely consider them among the best in PvE damage and an absolute neccessity in high tier raids.

Nope, sorry buddy... I have both a 63 geared merc and 63 gear powertech, and even though i consider my PT to be my main, i will not deny that my arsenal merc can dish out more DPS PvE. I would absolutely consider them among the best in PvE damage and an absolute neccessity in high tier raids.

And I'd strongly disagree.

Marauder and PT are stronger than Mercenary. The utility might be handy depending on your raid group composition, but I'd hardly call it essential or anywhere approaching necessary.

Mercenary has terrible mobility. Bosses in TFB all require significant movement. Likewise, to a lesser extent, in EC. PT is not penalized at all for having to move as a part of the fight. Mercenary is.

Frankly, I see little need for any RDPS. Ideally, I'd take 2 PTs and 2 Marauders with at least 1 Assassin tank. 2 healers + 1 Assassin have enough utility that you don't need it from your DPS, and you can trade utility for raw output, which is something Merc just isn't top-tier at.

And I'd strongly disagree.

Marauder and PT are stronger than Mercenary. The utility might be handy depending on your raid group composition, but I'd hardly call it essential or anywhere approaching necessary.

Mercenary has terrible mobility. Bosses in TFB all require significant movement. Likewise, to a lesser extent, in EC. PT is not penalized at all for having to move as a part of the fight. Mercenary is.

Frankly, I see little need for any RDPS. Ideally, I'd take 2 PTs and 2 Marauders with at least 1 Assassin tank. 2 healers + 1 Assassin have enough utility that you don't need it from your DPS, and you can trade utility for raw output, which is something Merc just isn't top-tier at.

This. Don't know if I agree on the last statement, but yeah, this.

Instant cast and mobility >>>> cast bars.

Edited by ScytheEleven

If constantly getting interrupted is going to annoy you, stay with the PT. My Merc is my main, but I find the PT more fun due to not getting annoyed at the constant interrupts. Going for 10 stack DT at the moment, you lose about 300 DPS from the knock ups and moving on a Merc. Still more than enough to carry my own weight.

Do you want long casting attacks with average dmg than can be interrupted by random mobs/players or do you want to roflmao anything crossing you path?

-if first choice, roll a merc.

-if second choice: roll master race powertech.

Edited by yoomazir

Do you want long casting attacks with average dmg than can be interrupted by random mobs/players or do you want to roflmao anything crossing you path?

For PVP, that's correct.

If bosses are interrupting you in PVE the tank's not doing his job right.

I don't have this problem you speak of with my Arsenal Spec Merc. I have no real idea where the DPS lies in-terms of others, but interrupt? Have not had this issue at all.