Fights designed for Rdps ?

IAAIAO

Hi,

I noticed that a lot of fights were easier to deal with as a ranged dps in this game.

I'm a Sin, mdps with a few ranged casts but I also have an Agent Sniper and a lot of fights are easier to complete with it.

A few examples :

- Toborro Court, no need to phase walk or move from the red zone

- EC final fight. You can stay 35 meters from the droids and not getting the reverted phases damages

- Athiss professor's "Goo" affecting melees, so the tank has to move it.

- Hammer Station's first boss, you can camp up the rock and pump out without being reached not even once

- EC SM and HM, Zorn aoe only reaching melees. Plus easier to switch as a Rdps.

- TFB final fight, phase 2. No need to switch to get the tentacles down as a Rdps

And countless ones in the game....So the question is : do you still care about melees ?

Not whining or anything I can deal with this but I've seen a lot of Mdps pissed with this game turn.

I think they need as much respect as Rdps get. This is just common sense.

Edited by IAAIAO

I noticed that a lot of fights were easier to deal with as a ranged dps in this game.

I'm a Sin, mdps with a few ranged casts but I also have an Agent Sniper and a lot of fights are easier to complete with it.

Not whining or anything I can deal with this but I've seen a lot of Mdps pissed with this game turn.

I think they need as much respect as Rdps get.

Really? :rolleyes:

SWTOR mechanics are based around the typical MMO group setup of tank/damage/heals. It is the tank's job to hold aggro so that DPS can kill and healers can do their job. Melee DPS is generally equipped with higher innate and AoE defense to accommodate being in melee range. Ranged DPS, aka "nukers" have high offense and low defense because they use range to be away from the circle of death around the tank. These simple mechanics have been pretty much the same in a good majority of MMOs for ages. THIS is common sense.

In a group setting DPS has the easiest job of all, especially ranged DPS. All you have to do is follow the tank and not derp to pull too much aggro. Try being a tank or healer if you want to talk about how much effort goes into completing an Operation. Most DPS, even though all they have to do is manage to not be stupid, do so regularly which puts more stress on the tanks and healers to keep the group from wiping.

Edited by TheronFett

Hi,

A few examples :

- Toborro Court, no need to phase walk or move from the red zone

- EC final fight. You can stay 35 meters from the droids and not getting the reverted phases damages

- Athiss professor's "Goo" affecting melees, so the tank has to move it.

- Hammer Station's first boss, you can camp up the rock and pump out without being reached not even once

- EC SM and HM, Zorn aoe only reaching melees. Plus easier to switch as a Rdps.

- TFB final fight, phase 2. No need to switch to get the tentacles down as a Rdps

And countless ones in the game....So the question is : do you still care about melees ?

I think they need as much respect as Rdps get. This is just common sense.

Some of your examples are flawed. Most range dont have 35 meters, zorns AOE should never hit melee anyways melee should stay on toth the entire fight, TFB last boss you need to be on the platform to hit the things anyways so rng has nothing to do with it. Also melee have a increased dps compared to range to compensate for movement. Being a melee dps is all about uptime and timing your stuff. Yes it is annoying and harder then range but your output if your good is higher =P

First I don't have any troubles, it was not about that.

For the last Tfb fight, I mistyped, was talking bout the fact that some of our snipers could engage before getting in the platform, true story.

I know that we have perks to balance, as an 8 years mmo player I know a bit^^

But usually devs put counter measures to make ranged job harder. There are NO counter measures at all, and countless flaws to use in fights (Gil Mando raiders bonus fight can be done as a ranged with 0 damages very easily, jumping up the yellow pool etc...).

Ranged might have a low defense etc...But it's still not fairly balanced, really. Check a few other games and you'll see.

Edited by IAAIAO