PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

Lunez

This guide seems pretty elementary and not that useful.

Buying the most expensive pieces of Battlemaster first is wrong...buy the cheapest 4 pieces that get you your 2 set bonuses first. Then buy the cheapest pieces, generally.

Learn to double up at nodes. Any node you own should have 2 defenders, not 1. This discourages stealthers and loners from even heading your way at all...which avoid excess inc calls which saves time for your team overall and is much more benefit than adding one more to the zerg. If you can't take a second node with 6 people, you aren't going to do it with 7, either...and even if you did the respawned enemies would have a headstart for your single-defended node by the time you mop up.

As a newbie, never do anything alone. Just help put your teammates over the top...added DPS or a couple heals in the right places will allow your team to win 1v1 fights they might have lost otherwise. Interrupt healers whenever you can.

Defending is a good place for you. If you are brand new and your node is being attacked, make sure *you* call out the inc, and let the better geared players save that precious half-second.

Defending a node. Sweep in circles and snatch up the DPS powerups when they spawn...not for your use, but to make them unavailable for attackers to scoop up on their way in. Got killed? Go right back to it immediately and keep them from capping it, unless you know for sure the node is a goner. If anyone is going to suicide to hold the node until help arrives, it makes sense that it's you, the ungeared player. Just stay alive and keep them off the node as best you can. This can easily save a game right there, because a lost node is a pain to get back.

Huttball: Stay on high ground when you can, but when you are defending from high ground and the ballcarrier is heading your way *stay out of the enemies line of sight* unless you *know* they cannot leap to you...otherwise you are simple giving them a free ride to your position for an easy capture. Use your knockbacks where ever possible to drive opponents down off the ramps. Make them run around again.

Man, I should have written this guide.

Edited by Armelle

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good info, mang. Two links in sig to guides I wrote which might be applicable, slightly more in depth. dirty hate mongering imperials need not read!

Edit: its a warzone strategy guide, not a beginners guide, but whatever.

Edited by Superawesomerman

good post. i really wish bioware would send a mail to players in game when they reach 50 that basically sums up how to gear up for all endgame content. there are so many clueless players in this game

Or at least they e-mail you with links to the various End-Game forums and guides and encourage you to read those guides. And to join the forums and stop being a creepy lurker. ;)

Sticky this please, it's pretty useful.

Would be very good to go over keybinding in detail. Maybe link to some of the many guides on forums and on Youtube.

Also, other tips:

-Take the time outside of the game to sit down and analyze each warzone type and your class and spec. What I mean is, sit down and think about what your class and spec are best suited for in each warzone. Sometimes, what's good in one area is terrible in others. Sometimes, you realize that you can use certain abilities to accomplish goals that you might not have thought of while you were freaking out and dying. Make a battle plan for yourself. Decide what you should generally try to do in each warzone, and then do it. But keep your plan very general and open for adjustments on the fly. This will help you get a handle on how each warzone operates in spite of the variable conditions.

Once I did this, I found my skill level increase a bit. I was suddenly much more aware of what was going on around me, and because I was more aware, I was able to react more accurately. This doesn't mean I suddenly didn't still suck. But I sucked a little less, and was more useful.

-Try to call out the healers on the other side. This really helps people focus on players that need to be consistently killed, CC'd, and otherwise annoyed out of their minds.

Edited by Heliwyr

This guide seems pretty elementary and not that useful.

Buying the most expensive pieces of Battlemaster first is wrong...buy the cheapest 4 pieces that get you your 2 set bonuses first. Then buy the cheapest pieces, generally.

Man, I should have written this guide.

I'm glad you think it's elementary, because it's designed for novice players. The experienced PvP'er should already know these things. What this does provide is a foundational platform to stand upon.

With all due respect, you're wrong about the mandatory purchase of cheapest pieces first. It really comes down to identifying your weakest link and biggest bang for your buck. I'm adding a section on this in the future and if you'd like to help edit/write portions of it, I would certainly welcome it.

If you want to identify portions of this guide that you want to write, please do so, and I would love to incorporate your knowledgebase with my own so that together, we can help increase the learning curve for the averge newb.

Being both informative and with a positive tone,

Thanks, the objective is to help use positive reinforcement to, as stated above, to increase the learning curve of the beginning PvPer, and to dispel common myths that keep people from moving forward.

good info, mang. Two links in sig to guides I wrote which might be applicable, slightly more in depth. dirty hate mongering imperials need not read!

Edit: its a warzone strategy guide, not a beginners guide, but whatever.

Thanks for the additions, I'll read them through and either incorporate snippets or link the guide accordingly. Thanks a bunch, friend.

-Try to call out the healers on the other side. This really helps people focus on players that need to be consistently killed, CC'd, and otherwise annoyed out of their minds.

In addition to some of the other stuff you mentioned, I want to add a section dedicated to using markers. This is especially useful because now anyone in the group can use them, so you can mark the healers for insatnce and tell everyone in your group who to target, etc etc. All in due time. Trying to polish what we have before I add more chapters.

COMING SOON:

1) Section on ripping Mods (with YouTube videos to illustrate)

2) Section on what gear pieces to buy first depending on your class.

3) More Warzone Guides! (including YouTube videos)

4) Section dedicated to the use of markers (with pictures, videos, etc)

5) More YouTube stuff and pictures in general that will help illustrate.

Let me know what else to add. Think I'm missing a critical 101 tip or section of some sort? Want to suggest a specific skil that you believe to be worthy of it's own section? Let me know by submitting your suggestion!!

Please help us make this a sticky by adding the sticky request in your response.

THANKS!

Version: 1.13

UPDATED: 5-15-12

Aside from the below listed New/Updated items, I've also added some much needed cosmetic fixes, although there are still more cosmetic adjustments to be made in the future. You can also expect to see a great deal of more sections to be added within future updates. Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Daillies, Commendations, and Valor

1. Commendation Management <---UPDATED

2) Gearing up for Warzones <---UPDATED

1. Level 1: Recruit
  2. Level 2: Battlemaster
  3. Level 3: War Hero

3) Expertise: What is it and what does it do? <----NEW

4) Joining a Guild

1. Teamwork

5) Skills and Consumables

1. Skill: Taunt

6) The DO's and DON'T's of PvP

7) Warzone Guides <---- UPDATED

1. Hando's Civil War Guide
  2. Malissant's Civil War Guide

8) Conclusion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMING SOON:

3) More Warzone Guides! (including YouTube videos)

5) More YouTube stuff and pictures in general that will help illustrate.

Let me know what else to add. Think I'm missing a critical 101 tip or section of some sort? Want to suggest a specific skil that you believe to be worthy of it's own section? Let me know by submitting your suggestion!!

Please help us make this a sticky by adding the sticky request in your response.

Edited by Lunez

Your expertise chart is outdated.

Thank you so much for the update. I'll see about updating it asap. If you know of an updated chart somewhere, that would be great. Thanks again!

EDIT: Actually, the chart isnt all that outdated, as it shows the basic foundation of how the tier system works. I'm not sure anyone has put together an updated chart yet and so the current chart will stay, however I will add a notation within the OP stating that some of the tier levels have been adjusted according.

Thanks!

Edited by Lunez

Version: 1.14

UPDATED: 5-15-12

*** Added a bunch of new Guides including YouTube footage of stuff that I thought might be useful to a newb looking to see some live warzone action.

*** Added more Recruit/Battlemaster gear stats such as prices, and other info.

1) Daillies, Commendations, and Valor

1. Commendation Management

2) Gearing up for Warzones

1. Level 1: Recruit <---UPDATED
  2. Level 2: Battlemaster <---UPDATED
  3. Level 3: War Hero

3) Expertise: What is it and what does it do?

4) Joining a Guild

1. Teamwork

5) Skills and Consumables

1. Skill: Taunt

7) Warzone Guides <---UPDATED

3. Almar's Civil War Guide <---NEW
  4. Highcommander's Huttball Guide <---NEW
  5. Almar's Hutball Guide <---NEW
  6. Almar's Voidstar Guide <---NEW
  7. YouTube: The Holoterminal Ep. 10- SWTOR Warzone Tips - SWTOR Guides & News <---NEW
  8. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone HuttBall PvP - Walkthrough <---NEW
  9. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone HuttBall PvP - Walkthrough <---NEW
  10. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone PvP Civil War - Walkthrough <---NEW
  11. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone PvP Voidstar - Walkthrough <---NEW

8) Conclusion

COMING SOON:

3) Section dedicated to the use of markers (with pictures, videos, etc)

4) Section on stats specific to PvP

can someone link me to a guide for marauder annihilation key binding? and maybe a decent ui? thanks

COMING SOON:

1) Combat: How to defeat a specific class.

2) Section on ripping Mods (with YouTube videos to illustrate)

3) Section on what gear pieces to buy first depending on your class.

5) Section on stats specific to PvP

COMING SOON:

1) Combat: How to defeat a specific class.

2) Section on ripping Mods (with YouTube videos to illustrate)

3) Section on what gear pieces to buy first depending on your class.

5) Section on stats specific to PvP

...did that answer either of my questions?

...did that answer either of my questions?

Consider your requests added into the "Things to do" list. For every 1 item I add, 5 more things come to mind that should be added, and all I can say is that eventually, I'll have everything, but until then, small steps. :)

If you want to help me write any specialized sub-guides, I would love to add them. Better yet, if you make a separate post with your guide, I can link your thread to my thread, and organize it accordingly. If you write anything, let me know so I can update accordingly.

EDIT: I won't be adding UI info on this guide, namely because UI's are subjective to the perogative of the user, and vary depending on your keyboard, mouse, visual tastes, etc, etc. I suggest searching the forums for one of the many existing threads on UI's, as there are plenty to review. The forum search engine is a powerful tool that can unlock a great deal of info with even just a single word.

Good luck!

Edited by Lunez

Consider your requests added into the "Things to do" list. For every 1 item I add, 5 more things come to mind that should be added, and all I can say is that eventually, I'll have everything, but until then, small steps. :)

If you want to help me write any specialized sub-guides, I would love to add them. Better yet, if you make a separate post with your guide, I can link your thread to my thread, and organize it accordingly. If you write anything, let me know so I can update accordingly.

EDIT: I won't be adding UI info on this guide, namely because UI's are subjective to the perogative of the user, and vary depending on your keyboard, mouse, visual tastes, etc, etc. I suggest searching the forums for one of the many existing threads on UI's, as there are plenty to review. The forum search engine is a powerful tool that can unlock a great deal of info with even just a single word.

Good luck!

kk thank you

Version 1.15

Updated: 5/17/12

Added a bunch of refinements to existing sections were added, whereby information was expanded upon, corrected, and/or improved upon. The following sections listed below were either added or updated as indicated. Added the beginning introductions to Mod-Ripping, and Rotations which will be laregly the next sections added to this guide.

ENJOY!

1) Daillies, Commendations, and Valor <---UPDATED

1. Commendation Management <---UPDATED

2) Gearing up for Warzones

1. Level 1: Recruit <---UPDATED
  2. Level 2: Battlemaster <---UPDATED
  3. Level 3: War Hero <---UPDATED

3) Expertise: What is it and what does it do? <---UPDATED

4) Joining a Guild

1. Teamwork <---UPDATED
  2. Pre-Made Groups <---NEW
  3. VOIPs

5) Consumables, Rotations, and Skills

1. Consumables <---UPDATED
  2. Rotations / Priorities <---NEW
  3. Skills: Taunt

7) Warzone Guides

3. Almar's Civil War Guide
  4. Highcommander's Huttball Guide
  5. Almar's Hutball Guide
  6. Almar's Voidstar Guide

7. YouTube: The Holoterminal Ep. 10- SWTOR Warzone Tips - SWTOR Guides & News
  8. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone HuttBall PvP - Walkthrough
  9. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone HuttBall PvP - Walkthrough
  10. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone PvP Civil War - Walkthrough
  11. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone PvP Voidstar - Walkthrough

8) Conclusion

VERSION 1.15

Pre-Made Groups:

You will often hear people on the forums complaining about what is often referred to as a "Pre-Made". Ignore their complaints. Those people can't help you. Working as a team in well-organized groups is one of the leading indicators of those who you want to listen to. People who habitually work alone, storm off on lone rambo crusades, or resist working in an organized group-fashion, are doomed to failure. Working as a team is the heart of what SWTOR PvP is based around.

The rambo comment made me giggle :p

Right now I'm the pvp boss of a very organized pve guild (quite the contradiction, I know). I'm trying to structure my guild to be more pvp oriented but very few seem to be as commited to pvp as I am (most refuse to even get the recruit gear, and its difficult for me to persuade them to exchange their rakata gear for expertise). What would your advice be for leading a premade? In huttball organization is a little better but there isn't much we can do in warzones like voidstar (except splitting in half to call inc's easier).

Right now I'm the pvp boss of a very organized pve guild (quite the contradiction, I know). I'm trying to structure my guild to be more pvp oriented but very few seem to be as commited to pvp as I am (most refuse to even get the recruit gear, and its difficult for me to persuade them to exchange their rakata gear for expertise). What would your advice be for leading a premade? In huttball organization is a little better but there isn't much we can do in warzones like voidstar (except splitting in half to call inc's easier).

I currently play on a PvE server, within a highly organized PvE guild who's primary focus is Endgame content, leaving PvP as merely a secondary after-thought.

In the teamwork portion of my guide, I mentioned that people should find themselves a serious PvE guild, and this is because Endgame Ops are a lot tougher than PvP content. They require a sense of mechanics and procedure that takes some serious effort to master. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with you being in a PvE guild.

Sometimes, people need to be visually shown why PvP gear is better than Rakata/Black Hole within a PvP setting. I suggest doing 1-on-1 duals within PvP zones (or even inside flashpoints) to show the physical difference. Another route would be to use the tough love method, and that is to set grouping rerquirements. If you do not wear PvP armor, then you cannot join the Group.

At the end of the day, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Our guild has incredibly strict guidelines. You follow orders, or you're out. Plain and simple. Just like when doing PvE. Our guild has 3 Ops groups, and the moment you don't listen to direction, you get kicked from the schedule and sent back to HM's until you can learn discipline. PvP happens to be a bit more lax with us, but due to the rigorous discipline within our Raids, our PvP groups are already tailored to be well-seasoned soldiers.

I wish you nothing but the best in your PvP endevers. Hopefully your guild members get their head out of their backsides and learn how Expertise boosts their stats far beyond their visible capabilities while within a PvP Zone and/or Warzone.

May the force be with you.

I currently play on a PvE server, within a highly organized PvE guild who's primary focus is Endgame content, leaving PvP as merely a secondary after-thought.

In the teamwork portion of my guide, I mentioned that people should find themselves a serious PvE guild, and this is because Endgame Ops are a lot tougher than PvP content. They require a sense of mechanics and procedure that takes some serious effort to master. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with you being in a PvE guild.

Sometimes, people need to be visually shown why PvP gear is better than Rakata/Black Hole within a PvP setting. I suggest doing 1-on-1 duals within PvP zones (or even inside flashpoints) to show the physical difference. Another route would be to use the tough love method, and that is to set grouping rerquirements. If you do not wear PvP armor, then you cannot join the Group.

At the end of the day, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Our guild has incredibly strict guidelines. You follow orders, or you're out. Plain and simple. Just like when doing PvE. Our guild has 3 Ops groups, and the moment you don't listen to direction, you get kicked from the schedule and sent back to HM's until you can learn discipline. PvP happens to be a bit more lax with us, but due to the rigorous discipline within our Raids, our PvP groups are already tailored to be well-seasoned soldiers.

I wish you nothing but the best in your PvP endevers. Hopefully your guild members get their head out of their backsides and learn how Expertise boosts their stats far beyond their visible capabilities while within a PvP Zone and/or Warzone.

May the force be with you.

Thank you! I love my guild, I've been with it since it had 30 members and i certainly don't plan on leaving it for a pvp guild (which is non existant on my small pve server, anyway). I know the mechanics are there, its really just a matter of getting geared. I'd also like to see my guild start taking pvp as seriously as pve but I know that will probably never happen.

Can we agree that the recruit gear is better for pvp than tier 3 pve gear? I most likely am going to end up dueling everyone who wants to wear pve gear, but hopefully that will prove the point. Although i can also anticipate that they will say im beating them because im a marauder :rolleyes: Considering that my hp is at 14k and theirs is around 23k on average i figure its negligible :p

How does teamwork play into voidstar? I feel that warzone is less about teamwork and more about speed/quickly burning through your opponents.

EDIT I just watched the voidstar walkthrough link you provided, which helped (though most of it was common sense).

Edited by DarthPunitor

How does teamwork play into voidstar? I feel that warzone is less about teamwork and more about speed/quickly burning through your opponents.

EDIT I just watched the voidstar walkthrough link you provided, which helped (though most of it was common sense).

Those videos are for preliminary viewers who want to know the basics. To answer your question though, its not always about how fast you can burn your opponents, especially when attacking the bridges, because if you kill them at the bridge, they're all there waiting for you when you finally get the bridge open.

Voidstar is all about discipline and learning how to distract/stall enemy forces. Rule #1 of Voidstar: NEVER CHASE KILLS! and STAY BY THE DOORS! I can't tell you how many times I've lost/won a voidstar because the people defending the doors run away just for that 1-2 seconds to finish a kill. Often I will trick an enemy into chasing me away from the door so my cloaked teammate can sneak in there and set the bomb behind their back.

When a door blows, and you're racing to attack the next node, make sure you have someone who is a designated "hallway fighter" and by this I mean, someone who's sole job is to distract 1-3 people for a number of seconds to give your teammates ahead of you time to get to the next node with a reduced number of enemies to oppose them. Your enemies think they're getting a free kill, but what they're really doing is wasting 2-6 seconds gang-banging captain decoy while you activate the bridge or drop a force-field.