How would the Republic military respond to a Reaper invasion?

Aurbere

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In answer to the OP

I assume, deploy the Jedi, who would then decide wether to kill the Reapers with a RED lightsaber, GREEN lightsaber or a BLUE one.

the power of colors!! My eyes!! The goggles they do nothing :mon_cool:

I LOL'd at this.

Everything you are posting is an opinion and your "facts" seem to be in direct contradiction to what we know about both universes. The Reaper technology (engines, ship weapons, shields, small arms, etc.) is all far inferior to what we see in the Star Wars universe. The Republic ships would be nearly invulnerable to the Reaper's inferior weaponry. Any Republic warship would shred a reaper with a single turbolaser shot. The Republic warships also very clearly move more quickly than the Reapers.

The Republic fleet is bigger, stronger, and faster. It's not a close fight. The Reapers die instantly.

This is because of the nature of the universes that we are talking about. The Reaper technology is antiquated by Star Wars standards.

I used what we see on screen not scientific guesswork, which is what most of you are basing your arguments off.

Angelous made much better observations than mine earlier in the thread.

I feel the need to point out that almost nothing in the above three paragraphs makes any sense whatsoever.

1. A. Dromund Kaas is in one of the most well hidden systems in the entirety of the SW galaxy. It's a horrible example.

B. The Reapers likely started their journey towards the ME galaxy soon after the Rachni Wars (their first attempt to subvert the Prothean's sabotage) which was almost a thousand years ago. The only reason they can take the ME galaxy with such speed is because of the Mass Relays.

That may be so, but considering the fact that the region of space they were in was a tiny fraction of a distance of the galaxy that they were making jumps in and right near the Horuset system in the first place kind of knocks off that idea.

And WHAT?! Did you even pay attention at the end of Mass Effect 2? you know, the scene where they all came out of hibernation in Dark Space? and Harbinger activated the fleet and made their way to the Milky Way galaxy? then in Arrival where they were practically IN the Milky Way before Shepard blew up the Mass Relay? where the hell did you get that idea from?

2. So, the Reapers are going to steal the astronavigation charts for every system in the SW galaxy, then somehow (mid invasion) build an entire relay network across the galaxy?

Christ, it'd be easier to rent some Star Wars ships and save on the construction cost. ( Construction cost meaning, "dead Reapers".) Otherwise, they're just too damn slow to do anything after attacking the outer-rim worlds.

The Reapers spend centuries wiping out the Milky Way galaxy, the war would very clearly go on for a long amount of time, in that time they can build the technology they need for their own much faster basic travel through the Relays.

3. This might make sense, if the Reapers had any way of stopping SW ships mid hyperspace jump. As it is, the Reapers would need to physically block an entire quadrant of space to stop the passage of trade.

If the Reapers did, somehow, adopt interdiction tech, engineers could simply subvert the nav-computers aboard their ships to disregard mass-detection software near Reaper controlled sections of space.

And exactly what did the Mandalorians do to cut off the Hydian Way? blockade it, they make no mention of interdiction ships at all.

That may be so, but considering the fact that the region of space they were in was a tiny fraction of a distance of the galaxy that they were making jumps in and right near the Horuset system in the first place kind of knocks off that idea.

And WHAT?! Did you even pay attention at the end of Mass Effect 2? you know, the scene where they all came out of hibernation in Dark Space? and Harbinger activated the fleet and made their way to the Milky Way galaxy? then in Arrival where they were practically IN the Milky Way before Shepard blew up the Mass Relay? where the hell did you get that idea from?

The Reapers spend centuries wiping out the Milky Way galaxy, the war would very clearly go on for a long amount of time, in that time they can build the technology they need for their own much faster basic travel through the Relays.

And exactly what did the Mandalorians do to cut off the Hydian Way? blockade it, they make no mention of interdiction ships at all.

1. What part of, "It was hidden inside a huge, maze-like cluster of stars" is difficult to understand?

2. A. Okay, let's say i'm wrong about that. If the Reapers were just waking up at the end of ME2, and nearly reached the Alpha Relay (pretty much a backup Citadel) in only a months time, why did they even bother making Sovereign spend hundreds of years trying to recapture the Citadel? They could have just jumped to the Alpha Relay and been done with it right? It doesn't add up.

3. This makes no sense. Any Reaper war on the SW galaxy would end in under ten years, tops, with the total destruction of all Reaper forces. And even if, by some backwards-*** miracle, it didn't, how in the hell would the Reapers be able to build a Relay network while fighting a galactic war against a technologically superior and (then) much faster foe?

4. What? How do you think a blockade works in the SW universe? The Mandalorians didn't just stck their ships on the trade route and start yelling for passing traffic to stop.

5. Two things.

A. I'd like to know how you know that Reaper-metal is the strongest metal in the multiverse. Other then being made from the dying screams of billions of children, (which I would imagine are pretty fragile) we know nothing about their construction.

B. Without the Mass Relays, the Reapers are just a bit faster then most ME ships, with the Normandy being known to be able to outrun them when push comes to shove. Now, there is no bloody way the Reapers could be able to build a working Relay network in the middle of a war with the SW galaxy, and would be far slower and less mobile then any military force in the SW galaxy except the post-Ruusan Old Republic. (Because it didn't HAVE a military.) Anything else is just wishful thinking.

Edited by Velaran

I used what we see on screen not scientific guesswork, which is what most of you are basing your arguments off.

Angelous made much better observations than mine earlier in the thread.

You used your own guesswork to interpret what has been seen on screen. That is no more reliable than the printed materials that all say you are completely wrong. Actually it is FAR FAR less reliable. Just because you are spouting it in your purple font that doesn't make it suddenly not guesswork. Please stop acting like your *opinions* are any more valid than anything anyone else is saying. You have zero facts and your guesswork is inferior.

You used your own guesswork to interpret what has been seen on screen. That is no more reliable than the printed materials that all say you are completely wrong. Actually it is FAR FAR less reliable. Just because you are spouting it in your purple font that doesn't make it suddenly not guesswork. Please stop acting like your *opinions* are any more valid than anything anyone else is saying. You have zero facts and your guesswork is inferior.

1.I do not in anyway appreciate your vile tone, cease and desist please.

2.I am not using guess work, but basic science, if you actually bothered to read my statements and preferably Angelous' you would actually comprehend my meaning, but clearly this is beyond your train of thought.

3.I am using EXACTLY the facts we know about them, please actually read before typing.

1. What part of, "It was hidden inside a huge, maze-like cluster of stars" is difficult to understand?

2. A. Okay, let's say i'm wrong about that. If the Reapers were just waking up at the end of ME2, and nearly reached the Alpha Relay (pretty much a backup Citadel) in only a months time, why did they even bother making Sovereign spend hundreds of years trying to recapture the Citadel? They could have just jumped to the Alpha Relay and been done with it right? It doesn't add up.

3. This makes no sense. Any Reaper war on the SW galaxy would end in under ten years, tops, with the total destruction of all Reaper forces. And even if, by some backwards-*** miracle, it didn't, how in the hell would the Reapers be able to build a Relay network while fighting a galactic war against a technologically superior and (then) much faster foe?

4. What? How do you think a blockade works in the SW universe? The Mandalorians didn't just stck their ships on the trade route and start yelling for passing traffic to stop.

5. Two things.

A. I'd like to know how you know that Reaper-metal is the strongest metal in the multiverse. Other then being made from the dying screams of billions of children, (which I would imagine are pretty fragile) we know nothing about their construction.

B. Without the Mass Relays, the Reapers are just a bit faster then most ME ships, with the Normandy being known to be able to outrun them when push comes to shove. Now, there is no bloody way the Reapers could be able to build a working Relay network in the middle of a war with the SW galaxy, and would be far slower and less mobile then any military force in the SW galaxy except the post-Ruusan Old Republic. (Because it didn't HAVE a military.) Anything else is just wishful thinking.

I'd debate with you but:

1.Your tone is simply vile and I am not here 4 Trollz Warz thank you.

2.Your mind is clearly made up so why bother?

I'd debate with you but:

1.Your tone is simply vile and I am not here 4 Trollz Warz thank you.

Your tone isn't exactly courteous either, and i'd welcome you to have a real, logical, discussion with me; and not just say "The Reapers metals are stronger".

Edited by Velaran

Your tone isn't exactly courteous either, and i'd welcome you to have a real, logical, discussion with me; and not just say "The Reapers metals are stronger".

I don't have a tone, I am genuinely shocked that despite your knowledge of the IP, you would miss that very blatant bit of game play and claim something totally contradictory.

Also, it was in Mass Effect 3, a Codex entry I believe, might be in the Paloven entry, I don't remember, there is also a statement that the Reaper hulls are extremely dense and thick and it takes three Turian dreadnoughts using full fire power to have a decent chance to take down a fully-fledged Reaper Dreadnought.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

I don't have a tone, I am genuinely shocked that despite your knowledge of the IP, you would miss that very blatant bit of game play and claim something totally contradictory.

Also, it was in Mass Effect 3, a Codex entry I believe, might be in the Paloven entry, I don't remember, there is also a statement that the Reaper hulls are extremely dense and thick and it takes three dreadnoughts using full fire power to have a decent chance to take down a fully-fledged Reaper Dreadnought.

See, this is where the argument is stemming from.

When I read that codex entry, I took something completely different from it in the context of this topic. It seems to me, that if three dreadnoughts have the combined firepower to take down one Sovereign-Class Reaper, then the firepower of a Star Destroyer (which far exceeds anything the Citadel Races can bring to bear) should be able to pierce Reaper armor with no problems whatsoever.

Heck, I might be willing to bet that almost any military craft from the SW universe should be able to as well, seeing as the Reapers have no directed-energy weapon countermeasures.

Edited by Velaran

See, this is where the argument is stemming from.

When I read that codex entry, I took something completely different from it in the context of this topic. It seems to me, that if three dreadnoughts have the combined firepower to take down one Sovereign-Class Reaper, then the firepower of a Star Destroyer (which far exceeds anything the Citadel Races can bring to bear) should be able to pierce Reaper armor with no problems whatsoever.

Heck, I might be willing to bet that almost any military craft from the SW universe should be able to as well, seeing as the Reapers have no directed-energy weapon countermeasures.

Please remember that the Citadel races the Turians more than any other, upgraded their weaponry to Thanix cannons(not the same as seen on the Normandy SR-2), which is basically a down-scaled version of Reaper weaponry.

Now here is my problem, the statements made that suggest Star Wars tech is so far beyond Mass Effect tech doesn't exactly convince me given that the sources for such claims are not canonical ones.

What we do know is that, Reapers have Kinetic Barriers ones so strong that they can make turns that would as stated rip another ship of smaller size in half and take lots of firepower the Plasma and Energy based weapons from Star Wars would make short work of these though, as Kinetic Barriers aren't meant for them, but they would be effective against the Torpedoes and Missiles used by Republic ships.

The hulls of Reaper ships as seen from Sovereign can take immense firepower, the remains of the Citadel fleet combined with the entire Arcturus fleet couldn't take him down, it was only when Shepard 'killed' Sovereign and disrupted his systems that he was fully exposed and his weakest spot was open to the full firepower of the Council forces that they destroyed him, that is an issue Reapers seem to have, they have weak spots in their hull, which can be used to destroy them, most of their hull can take huge amounts of damage.

The same seems to stand for Republic ships, their shields and their hulls are not meant to take sustained beams of Solid magma, asteroids managed to take out a fully-fledged Imperial II-class Star Destroyer as seen in both ESB and it's novel, the far superior Imperial Navy clearly took a lot of damage from Asteroids, Sovereign flew straight through entire Turian Dreadnoughts, etc... and was absolutely un-effected, Reaper capital ships clearly don't take the amount of damage a Star Destroyer does from something like an asteroid.

Reapers have absolutely no reason to invade SW galaxy. Their purpose of existence aside, this is entirely different galaxy. Depending how you look at it, it may even follow different laws, and mass effect may simply not work here making whole reaper tech worthless. Even assuming it's working, they are not facing civilization that developed according to reapers plans. They don't have any knowledge about their enemies, not even where to hit them. Heck, even husks and all other monstrosities are based on biologu if ME galaxy spiecies. They would have to adapt them to work with 'local fauna'.

Indocrination is a lot like sith corruption(think consular storyline), so they actually may be quite prepeared to defend against it.

Reapers fight in a way to harvest their enemies, get them mostly alive, so take away will to fight. Destruction they spread may be efective in ME universe, where almost everyone is lulled by peace. But in galaxy where Sith exist, they would have to get more creative.

As the title asks: how would the republic military respond to a reaper invasion? After playing through the ME series I find myself asking how the Republic would respond to the reaper The reapers would also most likely have the collectors with them. So who would win?

Throw the cheese!

What we do know is that, Reapers have Kinetic Barriers ones so strong that they can make turns that would as stated rip another ship of smaller size in half and take lots of firepower the Plasma and Energy based weapons from Star Wars would make short work of these though, as Kinetic Barriers aren't meant for them, but they would be effective against the Torpedoes and Missiles used by Republic ships.

The hulls of Reaper ships as seen from Sovereign can take immense firepower, the remains of the Citadel fleet combined with the entire Arcturus fleet couldn't take him down, it was only when Shepard 'killed' Sovereign and disrupted his systems that he was fully exposed and his weakest spot was open to the full firepower of the Council forces that they destroyed him, that is an issue Reapers seem to have, they have weak spots in their hull, which can be used to destroy them, most of their hull can take huge amounts of damage.

The same seems to stand for Republic ships, their shields and their hulls are not meant to take sustained beams of Solid magma, asteroids managed to take out a fully-fledged Imperial II-class Star Destroyer as seen in both ESB and it's novel, the far superior Imperial Navy clearly took a lot of damage from Asteroids, Sovereign flew straight through entire Turian Dreadnoughts, etc... and was absolutely un-effected, Reaper capital ships clearly don't take the amount of damage a Star Destroyer does from something like an asteroid.

1. The Reapers just aren't designed to withstand the tech that exists in the SW universe. As has been said before, it looks like Reapers and military SW ships could simply one-shot each other in a flat-out fight. The advantage the.... Whoever is fighting on behalf of the Star Wars galaxy has is that their ships are simply MUCH faster, and they're fighting on home turf. Well, that and most capitol ships in the SW universe have far more guns then any Reaper.

2. Take everything about Sovereign with a grain of salt. The animators who did the scenes with Sovereign at the end of ME1 notably over-powered him.

1. The Reapers just aren't designed to withstand the tech that exists in the SW universe. As has been said before, it looks like Reapers and military SW ships could simply one-shot each other in a flat-out fight. The advantage the.... Whoever is fighting on behalf of the Star Wars galaxy has is that their ships are simply MUCH faster, and they're fighting on home turf. Well, that and most capitol ships in the SW universe have far more guns then any Reaper.

2. Take everything about Sovereign with a grain of salt. The animators who did the scenes with Sovereign at the end of ME1 notably over-powered him.

Well this is new ground which we could debate on, but I feel a sense of victory in this statement, my point has been that, Star Wars ships do not completely and utterly out-class Reaper ships in every way, because neither side would be prepared for the other, the Reapers have the Psychological edge because they have no fear and can dominate minds and turn other races against themselves, I mean can you imagine what would happen if the Reapers got their hands on force users? that is downright scary.

Reapers also have millions of years of tactical, strategical and basic warfare knowledge that is immense in scope, add to this that each Reaper is an entire race in Reaper form, the knowledge of billions if not trillions of beings in one form, and there are thousands of them as well.

I don't think anything could take the Reapers on a whim, they are a whole other type of enemy with some of the strangest technology ever, that is my point, both the Reapers and the Republic can win this, it just depends on who is most adaptable and how they react to each other.

Well this is new ground which we could debate on, but I feel a sense of victory in this statement, my point has been that, Star Wars ships do not completely and utterly out-class Reaper ships in every way, because neither side would be prepared for the other, the Reapers have the Psychological edge because they have no fear and can dominate minds and turn other races against themselves, I mean can you imagine what would happen if the Reapers got their hands on force users? that is downright scary.

Reapers also have millions of years of tactical, strategical and basic warfare knowledge that is immense in scope, add to this that each Reaper is an entire race in Reaper form, the knowledge of billions if not trillions of beings in one form, and there are thousands of them as well.

I don't think anything could take the Reapers on a whim, they are a whole other type of enemy with some of the strangest technology ever, that is my point, both the Reapers and the Republic can win this, it just depends on who is most adaptable and how they react to each other.

1. I never said the ships were unbelievably far ahead of the Reapers, I said Star Wars tech is way beyond what the Reapers have. Also, i'm not really sure the Reapers would be able to indoctrinate most people in the SW galaxy, at least the Force Users. One upside to midichlorians.

2. All of which is pointless, because none of that knowledge is applicable to a war they would fight in the Star Wars galaxy.

3. I still feel as if the Reapers have no chance whatsoever. They have no tactical knowledge of the SW galaxy, no overpowering tech with which to dismiss that lack of knowledge, and no way to effectively fight a war without Mass Relays.

1. I never said the ships were unbelievably far ahead of the Reapers, I said Star Wars tech is way beyond what the Reapers have. Also, i'm not really sure the Reapers would be able to indoctrinate most people in the SW galaxy, at least the Force Users. One upside to midichlorians.

2. All of which is pointless, because none of that knowledge is applicable to a war they would fight in the Star Wars galaxy.

3. I still feel as if the Reapers have no chance whatsoever. They have no tactical knowledge of the SW galaxy, no overpowering tech with which to dismiss that lack of knowledge, and no way to effectively fight a war without Mass Relays.

I disagree, but lets simply leave it as is.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

Agreed, I don't think either of us have much more to add on this.

Anyone have anything else to say?

Well, I suppose that if we have come to an impasse at the technology debate, we could begin to discuss methods and tactics, though that argument could open up a whole new can of worms...

For the record, I would be interested in such a discussion, provided that we could keep things civil, and respectful.

I fail to see how Reaper tech is outdone by Star Wars tech. MAYBE propulsion systems, but weapons, shields, and armor, they're pretty equal. In fact, since most Star Wars ship weapons are laserbased, I could see solid projectiles and charged plasma projectors being used by the Reapers to good effect against the Republic warships.

1.I do not in anyway appreciate your vile tone, cease and desist please.

2.I am not using guess work, but basic science, if you actually bothered to read my statements and preferably Angelous' you would actually comprehend my meaning, but clearly this is beyond your train of thought.

3.I am using EXACTLY the facts we know about them, please actually read before typing.

1. My tone is not "vile." I am simply attempting to point out that you are calling your own guesswork at attempting to interpret what you have seen in cinematics as "facts" while dismissing the hard numbers that others have pulled from texts "opinion."

2. In actual fact, it is the other way around. You are feeling around in the dark using your very basic knowledge of science to try to guess at the strength of hulls, shields, and weapons based on what you can see in the cinematics of the game. I don't think I missed where either you or Angelous actually cited anything material. You are both simply using your own guesses.

There is actual material out there that quantifies some of this and it contradicts your guesswork. The Bounty Hunter Wars Book 2 clarifies that the energy release from a turbolaser is at least a gigaton. That is 1,000 megatons or 1 million kilotons. The capital ships that destroyed Sovereign in Mass Effect 1 were firing weapons that maxed out at 3 times the power of the Hiroshima bomb (13-18 kt). That is according to this website. At the maximum, that means that Sovereign was destroyed by weapons that only yielded 54 kilotons.

Are you not starting to see how far apart these galaxies are in terms of tech? Mass Effect has capital ships that can kill Sovereign by firing 54 kiloton weapons at him and Star Wars capital ships fire 1 million kilotons with every single shot.

Both you and Angelous are factually incorrect with many of your statements. Angelous claims that Star Wars deflector shields would not be effective against Reaper weapons and that is completely absurd. Deflector shields on capital ships generally include both ray shields as well as particle shields. Source. They are effective at defending against both energy and physical attacks and since we know that the weapons in Mass Effect are thousands of times weaker than those in the Star Wars galaxy (15,000 to 20,000 times weaker to be exact) it is completely irrational to believe that the cannons from a Reaper could even dent the shields of a Star Wars battleship.

I could go on and find sources disproving that the ships in Mass Effect are as fast as you both claim as well, but I think everyone reading this thread is starting to get how wide the gap in technology is here.

3. I read your posts. I read Angelous's posts as well. Neither of you has provided anything factual to back up your claims. You have not provided a single source that even suggests that Mass Effect technology is anywhere close to as advanced as what we see in Star Wars.

You complained about my tone, but you used phrases such as "clearly this is beyond your train of thought" and "please actually read before typing." If anything, you are the one using an arrogant and dismissive tone with those who disagree with you even though they are factually correct and you are not.

Edited by RDeanOU

Reaper "beam" weapons actually shoot liquid metal, roughly the same heat as the sun and at almost lightspeed. Rather than plasma or some other direct energy type (which is what Star Wars shield are design to protect against).

As far as I am aware Star Wars ships are completely ineffective against blocking sun like temperatures and have no defense against lava (which is basically what the reapers have, they have metal lava guns - almost every sifi ship in history is susceptible to lava).

But on the other end the Reapers have no defense against Star Wars "plasma" based turbo lasers, they only have kinetic defenses. (which means both the Reapers and Star Wars ships can 1 shot each other), Though Reaper hulls are much stronger than durasteel, asteroids can damage durasteel, asteroids cannot damage Reapers.

Reapers have mass effect fields which defy physics, allowing giant capital ships to maneuver and turn like fighters. Whilst Star Wars ships have to respect physics.

Star Wars ships are also limited to hyperspace lanes, Reapers have go anywhere they like FTL drives.

On these facts the Reapers could beat the Republic by commit completely to hit and run tactics, FLT jumping in right on top of Republic fleets beaming them or crashing into them (as Reapers can due to superior hull strength) and then FTL jumping out before the Republic could defend themselves.

The Republic on the other hand could win more easily, all they would have to do is get the Reapers in open conflict, the seer amount of turbo lasers even one capital ship has is enough to kill a hundred or so Reapers alone. So in fleet on fleet action the Republic would win.

That's just ship to ship combat, not including all the indoctrination and other stuff.

Star wars shields do protect against lava, assuming it's not submerged. Secondly Hyperspace lanes to my knowledge is just a term for preplotted course. If I remember correctly, Han inferred this when he told Like, that they had to wait to jump to hyperspeed, so they would crash into a asteroid field or fly through a sun. I could be wrong.

It would be very simple. Reapers would start assimilate people and turning them into husks, building other reapers. Planets wuould be destroyed, favourite heroes and characters would die, stopping Reapers invasion.

At the end, when only handful of 'pubs would remain, a group of Jedis would find out a secret prophecy, or a legend, that properly used would turn over the tide of war. Reapers would be banished, as Jedi would not destroy them, and everyone would start rebuilding for next invasion.

Just change Yuuzhan Vong to Reapers, and it would be the same.