Reading About Star Wars

Heroxen

Hi guys, hope this is the right place to ask. I've been into Star Wars since I first saw the original trilogy but I'm yet to read any of the EU books. Can anyone recommend a good place to start? Whether the books are about the Old Republic era, before, after, NJO or whatever, I'll be interested in reading them :)

Hi guys, hope this is the right place to ask. I've been into Star Wars since I first saw the original trilogy but I'm yet to read any of the EU books. Can anyone recommend a good place to start? Whether the books are about the Old Republic era, before, after, NJO or whatever, I'll be interested in reading them :)

I would recommend that before you read Darth Bane or Revan and that, that you read Star Wars: Darth Plagueis. It seems often overlooked by many, but its fantastically well written and the best EU I've read (heck its one of the best novels I've read.) Its basically Episode 0 of Star Wars. Detailing events leading up to the Phantom Menace, and giving the very exciting and very interesting back story of Darth Sidious (its as much about him as Plageuis).

After that I'd read the Revan novel, to be honest its far from the best but gives a good and interesting background to the events in this game, and the whole KOTOR mystery.

I'd actually suggest starting with the Darth Plagueis novel. It's a great entry point to get into the EU. It's like a "Star Wars: Episode 0" in that it ties in perfectly to what you know about the movies and gives tons of tidbits of history about earlier times in the SW universe so you can decide from there where you'd like to start exploring.

Also, it's pretty much the only place where you get to truly understand Palpatine as a character. The movies really don't do hims justice at all.

Edited by Jenzali

I'd actually suggest starting with the Darth Plagueis novel. It's a great entry point to get into the EU. It's like a "Star Wars: Episode 0" in that it ties in perfectly to what you know about the movies and gives tons of tidbits of history about earlier times in the SW universe so you can decide from there where you'd like to start exploring.

Also, it's pretty much the only place where you get to truly understand Palpatine as a character. The movies really don't do hims justice at all.

Exactly this. While I wouldn't say the films don't do him justice, they portray his evil, manipulative side perfectly. But not the reasons behind it, not the real motives. This is were you find them.

I probably wouldn't start with the Darth Plagueis novel. It's a good read but lacking in action. It's more cerebral. Go with the Bane trilogy first. You'll be hooked! Death Star is the next thing I would recommend. Maybe the Thrawn Trilogy next. So many good options.

Oh, don't for get the original Han Solo trilogy!

Edited by Vinjar
addition

I probably wouldn't start with the Darth Plagueis novel. It's a good read but lacking in action. It's more cerebral. Go with the Bane trilogy first. You'll be hooked! Death Star is the next thing I would recommend. Maybe the Thrawn Trilogy next. So many good options.

Oh, don't for get the original Han Solo trilogy!

I suppose, but it depends on what genre you like. Its not complicated, and its got a lot of depth. But if its tons of action your looking for (it does have a fair deal - Sidious owns :D) this may not be where to start.

Listen OP you want to get them from

http://www.audible.com/ref=amb_link_86100551_1?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_m=A2ZO8JX97D5MN9&pf_rd_s=top-1&pf_rd_r=1302QJ1587NJEZE4MK1N&pf_rd_p=1343896622&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=null

Just type in star wars to the left. After you start getting these novels on VO with music and sound effects you will never read a novel again.Check out audio samples under the pictures.