“SWG PLAYERS – OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch?

Odyseus

Anybody else see this statement made by the head of SOE?

“SWG PLAYERS – OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it… you can come home now.”

This has me giddy on so many levels I don't know If I should cry or scream! For you youngsters, the PRE NGE SWG was by far the best MMO in history. Here's what I missed most about that game feel free to add on because I'm there's much more than my subjective opinion.

* SWG had the best social building mechanics ever. To get to another planet, you had to travel to the Spaceport, and the shuttles that took you from planet to planet required you wait 10 minutes between shuttles.The reason for this is because the Dev's said it would incline players to socialize with one another while waiting for the shuttle. This is where a lot of duels, guild formations, and ambushes took place.

*You had a mind stat that could only be healed by visiting a Cantina, and listening to or watching one of the "Entertainer Classes"(Musicians and Dancers) Which was a brilliant Idea. That's because it was designed for people who didn't really like MMO"s but loved to socialize. So many of the entertainers in the game were Women who could sit and chit chat all day with all of players who came into the Cantina's. Plus, it was an excellent place to raid in enemy cities because you know they would be there. And after listening to the entertainers you get a buff to some of your secondary stats that only they could buff, so it was a necessity. This also fostered a lot of socializing and added more immersion into the game.

These are just 2 of the things I really missed about that game, and what made it special. Feel free to share more, because there's many original things they did that were way ahead of it's time.

Edited by Odyseus

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was already discussed on the forums a while ago. You're late to the party.

Oh, and not to rain on your parade but its not going to be a Star Wars game.

I know it's not a Starwars game. It was the game mechanics I was raving about not the lore. I looked for a similar thread but couldn't find it. Feel free to post the link.

the PRE NGE SWG was by far the best MMO in history.

So let's believe the company that played a part in ruining it, seems legit. I'll never buy another SOE product.

Good for you, I guess. I suppose everyone is allowed to like whatever games they choose, and it'll be nice that someone is making a game for you.

For me... that sounds pretty miserable, and I'm not interested in it at all. I'm not a big FPS, gotta-have-action-every-second kind of guy, but waiting 10 minutes for a shuttle.... no thanks. Endless wastelands of player housing? Forced cantina sitting? (Eye Roll). No thanks. It's nice that you're excited but... no thanks.

So let's believe the company that played a part in ruining it, seems legit. I'll never buy another SOE product.

SOE didn't ruin the game, the very small, but extremely loud detractors did. There was so much crying on the forums, threats of lawsuits, because everyone thought that they, and no one else should be a Jedi. And remember the few who did have Jedi's how they acted when they died (Especially when they were perma-death)? No one died because they got beat. People always claimed there was a bug, or they were DC'd, or the other players was exploiting, etc. Game forums were still pretty new at that time so the suits freaked out and started to capitulate by giving in to the forum whiners because they thought they represented what the player base thought. If they would of stuck to their guns, and kept Jedi's rare, they game would of ended up being much better in the long run.

Good for you, I guess. I suppose everyone is allowed to like whatever games they choose, and it'll be nice that someone is making a game for you.

No need to be a condescending smart a** just because I'm sharing my enthusiasm. I never said they're making anything for me.

For me... that sounds pretty miserable, and I'm not interested in it at all. I'm not a big FPS, gotta-have-action-every-second kind of guy, but waiting 10 minutes for a shuttle.... no thanks. Endless wastelands of player housing? Forced cantina sitting? (Eye Roll). No thanks. It's nice that you're excited but... no thanks.

You actually weren't forced to go to a cantina. Many guilds would hire entertainers to tag along before raiding one of the capital cities. However they used the Cantina's because that's where they could earn the most credits due to the amount of players who frequented the location. And the 10 minute waits for shuttles? That's where reputations were made. Most would pass the time challeging the other waiting players to duels, since there was no Warzones, it was the norm.

Edited by Odyseus

Weird I don't remember people begging SOE to turn the game into WoW star wars edition. NGE pretty much rolled in without any communication.

No you're right, however it was a small contingent of forum whiners, and disgruntled gaming sites who were infuriated that almost no one could figure out the formula to unlocking a Jedi, for a long time it was unknown. Gaming forums were still in their infancy when it launched, so the suits over a SOE didn't realize that perpetual crying was synonymous with MMO gaming forums. So they freaked, forced out the original Dev's with all the bright ideas, then slowly turned the game into a themepark MMO to appease the forum whiners, which they never did.

Edited by Odyseus

No you're right

So we can agree that SOE did indeed butcher SWG? Also due to the time of when CU and NGE hit I'm skeptical it was mainly about whiners complaining they didn't know how to become a jedi/ were too lazy to put in the time.

So basically in the mind of SWG vets taking out all the QOL features of the past decade an a half of mmo development makes for the bestest game evah.

That's called masochism.

I mean I get the sandbox elements rose tinted glasses.

But to look fondly back on 10 min shuttle ride waits and the OP buff dependency BS just boggles the mind it truly does.

“SWG PLAYERS – OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it… you can come home now.”

This has me giddy on so many levels I don't know If I should cry or scream! For you youngsters, the PRE NGE SWG was by far the best MMO in history. Here's what I missed most about that game feel free to add on because I'm there's much more than my subjective opinion.

* SWG had the best social building mechanics ever. To get to another planet, you had to travel to the Spaceport, and the shuttles that took you from planet to planet required you wait 10 minutes between shuttles.The reason for this is because the Dev's said it would incline players to socialize with one another while waiting for the shuttle. This is where a lot of duels, guild formations, and ambushes took place.

*You had a mind stat that could only be healed by visiting a Cantina, and listening to or watching one of the "Entertainer Classes"(Musicians and Dancers) Which was a brilliant Idea. That's because it was designed for people who didn't really like MMO"s but loved to socialize. So many of the entertainers in the game were Women who could sit and chit chat all day with all of players who came into the Cantina's. Plus, it was an excellent place to raid in enemy cities because you know they would be there. And after listening to the entertainers you get a buff to some of your secondary stats that only they could buff, so it was a necessity. This also fostered a lot of socializing and added more immersion into the game.

These are just 2 of the things I really missed about that game, and what made it special. Feel free to share more, because there's many original things they did that were way ahead of it's time.

What a boring game it must have been. Glad I did not try to play it.

There was a thread on this a couple of weeks back, would have been nice if it was a SW game but I will give it a try just because of the features of SWG. You gotta respect the fact they brought out a SW game that didn't have force users! the whole resource gathering and crafting system was brilliant.

We *SO* needed yet another thread about this. Thanks, OP. I've only seen it 4 times now. Good to see we have vigilant members in the community, scanning the internet like hawks for fresh new information. Edited by Jandi

Back on the day, when we asked pretty please for SOE not to ruin SWG, we still cared.

That was many years ago, SOE is blacklisted for most of the SWG pre-nge players. Those less then 10k that enjoyed the nge might want to give it a try, lol.

Even if the game was reborn, it would now look too dated - however from the teaser pictures the evil grinch (smedley) posted, it will be a modern days MMO. Good luck naming one sucessfull modern days theme based MMO. Our concrete jungles are good for a night out in a bar, but otherwise they suck big time when compared to the universes present on most MMOs.

No, I wouldnt want to get close to any SOE game unless they payed me a fortune to do it.

So basically in the mind of SWG vets taking out all the QOL features of the past decade an a half of mmo development makes for the bestest game evah.

That's called masochism.

But to look fondly back on 10 min shuttle ride waits and the OP buff dependency BS just boggles the mind it truly does.

You can take out all the QoL fluff you are spoiled with and shove it down the narest toilet if you give an interesting game that requires players to do something other than drool at their keyboard.

Edited by Jandi

I don't know if I would get to pumped about this. Sony is going through some pretty tough financial times right now. Closing 4 games, their credit rating just got downgraded to junk status, ps4 is in 30 more territories than xbox one and has sold only 300,000 more units, xb1 outsold ps4 in their largest market the US in December, and they are charging $100 to be able to gain access to EQ landmark. You add all that up and things don't look bright for Sony.

It will be very interesting to see what SOE thinks ex-SWG players want in a game.

Very very interesting to see...since none of them (myself included) can ever agree on what made that game great. For me, it was mostly the community, which is not something SOE can implant in a game.

Edited by hadoken

That's called masochism.

Put it this way - The farther we can get away from SWG the better. Doesn't really matter what game it is as long as we're not playing SWG remade.

Put it this way - The farther we can get away from SWG the better. Doesn't really matter what game it is as long as we're not playing SWG remade.

Please stop refering to yourself as "we". It makes it look like you have some mentl issues. Unless you have multiple personality disorder. In which case, you have mental issues.