People with Disabilities?

ziphii

There's a thread like this on the wow servers, so I thought I'd see if things are similar here. To start things off, I have fibromyalgia and low back problems (bulging disk and sciatica) and being able to game really helps me stay sane. Sometimes the pain is very isolating, but I don't have to keep up with people physically online, and that lets me do things online in games that I can't do in real life anymore.

Anyone else here dealing with *any* disability? How does SWTOR help or how have you adjusted your gameplay (UI, HW?) to make it better for you? Maybe you'll help someone else out there who suffers.

• Like 1

I have fibromyalgia too! I hate it so much. I try really, really hard not to let it affect my life. I am a chemistry student and study/go to the lab all the time, so I can get pretty sore.

I use topical stuff like BenGay and lots of ibuprofen. And I work out a TON. That helps a lot.

I have been playing MMO's since Star War Galaxies (Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, etc)

I have Muscular Dystrophy and I can only use my hands so PC gaming is my only real option for gaming now.

I was a big console gamer too when I was stronger (N64, PS2, GameCube, Wii, Xbox 360), but my disease progressively weakened me to the point that I can't even hold a controller.

I also was into the handheld gaming with my Gameboys (from the original, gameboy color, gameboy advance and the DS)...you can tell I was a nintendo fanboy lol.

Now, at the age of 28, I have also been diagnosed with congestive heart failure, diabetes, and I get pneumonia almost every month.

Three years ago, I contracted pneumonia in BOTH lungs and suffered respiratory failure and almost died.

I recovered, but the trauma weakened my diaphragm (the muscle the causes you to inhale and exhale, basically breathing) and I was forced to use a ventilator just to live.

Due to all of this, my family could not properly care for me, so I went into a nursing care facility. I got a gaming laptop to help me stay in touch with family, and to play games, and here I am!

I can only use one hand, which I use a mouse with and I can type using an on-screen keyboard.

I play SWTOR daily and have 3 level 50s on Canderous Ordo and currently leveling my scoundrel.

-currently playing character names are:

Kallig...lvl50 human Sith Sorcerer

Pythirr...lvl50 sith pureblood juggernaut

Caegenn...lvl50 cyborg vanguard

Xao-den'ca...lvl38 zabrak scoundrel

-currently playing character names are:

Kallig...lvl50 human Sith Sorcerer

Pythirr...lvl50 sith pureblood juggernaut

Caegenn...lvl50 cyborg vanguard

Xao-den'ca...lvl38 zabrak scoundrel

I see you around Canderous all the time when I play my Agent. So.. /waves

I'm Bi Polar with anxieties and ADHD with sleep issues. I don't have a lot of friends in game and I spend a lot of time server hopping to avoid the people I do know sometimes when I can't deal with being overly social. I have back issues (Sciatica mainly and totally weak ankles. I sprain one of my feet every few months because walking is hard.) So I sit and game and try not to form relationships because I know I'm a total drag.

Wow, you guys! Nice to have you. My back has been acting up lately, so I'm on leave from work. Having this game is a way to interact with the "world" in a way I can't anymore.

I don't have any social anxieties to speak of, but I like the way we can control who and when we interact with people. That sentence was awful, but I hope you know what I mean.

There was a similar thread for autistic players, but it fell rather flat. Checking in here too. Doctors I've seen can't seem to agree just what I have, but they agree that I'm on the autistic spectrum with either depression or a form of bipolar disorder. I don't have any physical disabilities, but my mind is a wreck ^^;

SWTOR definitely helps me with my disabilities. For one, it can act as a numbing agent as something to focus on when the mental pain from depression gets too much to deal with. It also helps with coping knowing that I have friends online and people I can talk to and help. I try to do something good for the server every day, and it helps with my overall well being.

-Lu'cerna, Melodyous, Kaeara, Ashle, Purple'Parrot legacy, The Shadowlands

I've had rheumatoid arthritis for most of my life (age 2 onwards), and the last few years have been up-and-down in the pain department. My knees and ankles crunch when I walk, my neck now has osteoarthritis and sounds like a cement mixer. My right elbow has virtually no range of motion and I've developed tendinitis in my left arm (something else I'm more susceptible to, yay!) along with a crunchy left wrist. I work at a help desk, and sitting in one position all day does not help.. currently looking for another job, but I have to deal with it for now.

I play on a laptop so I can get up and move around whenever I need to and adjust as much as possible. I picked up the Razer Nostromo, which really helps my left arm issues. I have it propped up so my left hand is almost vertical, and use mainly the number pad with my right hand.

I'll never be able to run around like my characters (though I'll eventually need joint replacements - that's kind of like a cyborg, right?) But I love immersing myself in this universe, and PVP is one of my favorite ways to deal with pain and frustration. If I'm playing as my Marauder you can bet it's been a BAD day :eek::D

My disability is nothing as severe as the other posters but I have carpal tunnel in both wrists. That can make playing online games challenging at times. Using a mouse is what aggravates the condition the worst so I play on a laptop and use the touchpad - no mouse movement for me. As a result I seldom group anymore since I got tired of having to explain why I turn using the keyboard.

That being said though, once I started playing a Gunslinger I was sold. The lack of inherent mobility in the class is perfect for my condition. The "turret" style of play works great for using a keyboard to move and allows me to enjoy the game for longer stretches than with other classes. As long as I wear my wrist-supports I can actually play for several hours at a time.

I have MS. I raid when I feel good, but it affects every part of game play for me. Sometimes I can't touch anything with my hand without pain. I craft when that happens. I have to adjust from day to day depending on how I'm feeling. Sometimes it's pain, sometimes I just can't move, sometimes it's muscle contractions that cause twitching.

I'm thinking of getting a gaming key thing for my left hand by Razer (is the one I've seen) to give me more options, as my mouse hand seems to be having it worse.

I enjoy the social opportunities this game offers because getting out in public is so draining for me. My guildmates have all been super supportive.

Even so, I've been able to create a healer that can heal SM EC so far, and I'm almost lvl 50 on a Sentinel. (A lot more hand-exhaustion playing her).

• 2 weeks later...
This week I've been having really bad back pain. Taking time off of work and everything. At least my hands don't hurt too bad, so I can still play. I need the relaxation of video games to help take my mind off of things. Glad to know you all are here.:csw_c3po:

Hi,

I am new to the game. I am basically retired (on disability). Physically, I have arthritis, gout, and bursitis (plus some problems that my doctor has not been able to accurately diagnose). Gaming is about the only activity I can do that doesn't hurt. Mentally, I have Asperger's Syndrome (which is on the autistic spectrum), and that, combined with my physical issues is a double whammy since I don't deal with strangers well. I am also mildly OCD... but I understand that is part of having Asperger's.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Epilepsy, and the game helps me relax and what not.

I saw this thread and wanted to post this link, of a player of Guild Wars. A very interesting video of a guy that played Guild Wars 2 (PvP) for 12 hours while streaming it all. He uses his mouse with his ear/cheek and type/moves with a pen in his mouth.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/look-mom-no-hands/

Anyways have a great night/morning everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see fellow gamers, no matter limitations, enjoying a game that helps get them to feel more a part of things.

I have been in a wheelchair since my injury Dec 1996. I broke my C-6 vertebrae and left me with limited upper body movement and no lower body movement. I can move my arms and use two plastic typing aids on my hands to push the keys to type/use abilities in-game. Imagine using an index finger on each hand to use the keyboard and mouse. I am looking to try using some voice-command software to help make me do more than one thing at a time. All that said, I manage to play and have fun in SWTOR :)

I am currently working on my fairly new 50 and get the gear to start going through Operations.

If any of you or anyone else wants to group up sometime look me up on the Shadowlands server. My characters name is Jas'ta - lvl 50 Juggernaut :sy_lightsaber:

I saw this thread and wanted to post this link, of a player of Guild Wars. A very interesting video of a guy that played Guild Wars 2 (PvP) for 12 hours while streaming it all. He uses his mouse with his ear/cheek and type/moves with a pen in his mouth.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/look-mom-no-hands/

That guys is awesome! I am going to try to work with the voice-command system he has

Great to see fellow gamers, no matter limitations, enjoying a game that helps get them to feel more a part of things.

I have been in a wheelchair since my injury Dec 1996. I broke my C-6 vertebrae and left me with limited upper body movement and no lower body movement. I can move my arms and use two plastic typing aids on my hands to push the keys to type/use abilities in-game. Imagine using an index finger on each hand to use the keyboard and mouse. I am looking to try using some voice-command software to help make me do more than one thing at a time. All that said, I manage to play and have fun in SWTOR :)

I am currently working on my fairly new 50 and get the gear to start going through Operations.

If any of you or anyone else wants to group up sometime look me up on the Shadowlands server. My characters name is Jas'ta - lvl 50 Juggernaut :sy_lightsaber:

I'm on Shadowlands too! I'm usually on Lu'cerna, Melodyous, or Kaeara. Let me know if you ever want a dps or healer for an HM fp or EV or KP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Huzaah, I'm not alone!

I have HFA (high-functioning autism). Dealing with people is hell for me, games are my salvation at times. I also have scoliosis (40°!) which I'm getting surgery for next summer. Full spinal correction. It's going to hurt :( But It will be awesome to say I have dozens of titanium bolts and a few pins inserted in my spine! One step closer to being a cyborg!

i hope u guys get better,,medicine can do pretty amazing things now

im not disabled as such, but a chronically infected gall bladder does make grouping hard

i found that the darkshore zone in wow had therapeutical qualities, the music and the ambience was so

soothing,,they should actually prescribe that:p

I'm on Shadowlands too! Tatica is my main, Seer heals, and Toni'cia is my sentinel. I have a 38 gunslinger I'm working on now.

See you all in game!

Awesome to see Shadowlands has some fellow gamers playing in spite of limitations!

Does anyone use any specific programs or special devices to help with limited or lack of finger function?

Feel free to add me on Shadowlands, my character is Jas'ta lvl 50 Sith Juggernaut :sy_lightsaber:

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I am so glad to see there are some here who play this game even with some factors that make it tough. I know I can really feel it in my hands after playing for a few hours, but I really enjoy being able to do everything anyone else can do without having to worry about real life issues in game.

Thanks for sharing everyone!